Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arcade and Retro General Chat in Karkariko Village Tavern: Live Ocarina Music

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,890 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I had my first random big boss encounter last night which was a lot of fun. I'm also really enjoying the lack of com chat although I find a lot of the time everyone is doing their own thing whereas in Dark Souls people are a lot more helpful.

As for the emotes all I need is the ridiculous dance emote to troll people.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I had my first random big boss encounter last night which was a lot of fun. I'm also really enjoying the lack of com chat although I find a lot of the time everyone is doing their own thing whereas in Dark Souls people are a lot more helpful.

As for the emotes all I need is the ridiculous dance emote to troll people.

Is it something like an online version of Halo with MMO type levelling? Or is that too simplistic a description.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,755 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

That's pretty much it, TBH, but somehow manages an even blander wider context :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,890 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Is it something like an online version of Halo with MMO type levelling? Or is that too simplistic a description.

It's closer to Phantasy Star Online or Diablo 2 than any MMO. I'm amazed that no publications I read even picked up on that yet. You've just got a central hub with shops. For the missions they just reuse the same maps over and over but change up the enemies and areas you visit in those maps. The maps themselves have multiple routes and after a while you can roam around them freely for loot and taking on super bosses.

The multiplayer is weird, people are randomly summoned together in the big open areas but disappear if they leave them.

The levelling system is mostly loot based but you unlock more abilities with each level. The interface I have to say is god awful and it doesn't help that there's no manual with the game.

The combat is pretty much Halo although grenades being cool down based kind of annoys me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,755 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I've found the grenades fairly useless anyway - even when they do cooldown they make barely a dent in a group of enemies, and when you throw one it seems like the only time the braindead AI decides to use any sort of survival instinct and run away.

• Advertisement

Yeah grenades my wizard/warlock/whatever uses aren't much use since they put down a damage per second area. The enemies just walk out of it :)

Last question on it - is combat all there is to the gameplay or are there any professions (crafting Weapons/Armour/Jems that sport of thing)?

You'd want to like shooting stuff, let's just put it that way ;)

There is a loot system, so there's lots of weapons and armour to unlock, but that and the shooting is all there really is. They're rejigging the system because a lot of it is random chance at the moment, and the odds are stacked in chance's favour sadly. That's about your lot in terms of variety through - even the online is basically just teams shooting stuff.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

With Activision having big plans for the Destiny brand I'd reckon they will have to up their game from locking you in an area until a defined number of enemy wave are repulsed and then bullet sponge time.
    Perhaps a broader landscape to inhabit would help .
    The current environments are cool but they are too small.
    I think the series has SciFi Skyrim in its first person shooter sights, at least that openness , perhaps a world that big would prohibit chance meetings and support that characterises Destiny so far?

Anyway, getting Wolfenstein for the PS4 tomorrow for feck all, probably get distracted from Destiny for a while!

With Activision having big plans for the Destiny brand I'd reckon they will have to up their game from locking you in an area until a defined number of enemy wave are repulsed and then bullet sponge time.

That's what annoys me most, every mission I've played so far is effectively identical (barring one where I killed things with a sword rather than a gun). I think I let out an audible sigh whenever I see that 'respawning restricted' skull pop up again. I'd just like missions that feel more dynamic and varied. Maybe they're coming, but at the very least Destiny is an incredibly slow starter - you shouldn't have to grind through a huge amount of identikit missions to get to the better stuff.

Last night I played through the hilarious bit mentioned in the USGamer review where Tyrion-bot delivers the grave news that 'you're going to have to kill the knight!' What a shock, Tyrion-bot :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

The moon levels are a bit on the dull side. Things get more interesting on Venus where you fight the Vex. You have to shoot them in the belly instead of in the head!

But there is a great bit on a giant spaceship as you battle your way up corridors trying to reach the bridge.

If you're finding combat dull then try increasing the difficulty. I find the gunplay immensely satisfying to the point that it's easy to overlook any other flaws as you're too busy carving your own story, pulling back slightly from combat so you can make a bigger push forward constant carving a path into the enemy lines. The gameplay mechanics in the Vault of Glass raid look amazing, things like time portals that some players have to go through while others defend the portal to stop it from closing. It's a shame the strikes aren't laid out similarly.

Rab Florance did a good write up:

http://www.amusementarcade.org/2014/09/15/destiny-diary-day-6-adults-or-the-fetishisation-of-story/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

tbZNZnKm.jpg

Sounds like it gets a little more interesting the further you get. Initial missions seem quite samey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,269 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Did anyone go to DICE over the weekend by the way? I was really disappointed (and felt completely ripped off)

Went into the ground floor area. Few comic stalls in a cramped room with Irish comic creators trying to sell their wares. Thought this was the lobby and the main event was upstairs, so proceeded to go over to the counter and pay my €15 (along with my sister and a mate, so €45 in total) for the grand show upstairs.

Went upstairs to find a big (almost empty) room with some tables scattered around the edges with artists sitting at them.

Confused, we circled the room, looking for another (imaginary) door leading to a room full of stalls an interesting things (which didn't exist), then walking back down the stairs into the 'free' area about a minute later.

Literally paid €15 a head to walk around in a circle confused.

Managed to get 10% off our dinner in Counter (saving €6.00) but still, dafuq? If you're going to charge €15 a head, make sure there's actually something passed the paypoint worth the cost of entry.

Unless of course I'm a complete idiot and there was something beyond that empty room...?

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Sounds like it gets a little more interesting the further you get. Initial missions seem quite samey.

The story really doesn't though. It's pretty much Dark Souls level of storytelling, where you'll complete the whole game without having much of a clue why you did anything. But there is some great stuff in the Grimories if you take the time.

I think a big problem a lot of younger gamers have with it is that you just feel like a cog in the machine. They're too used to games telling them they're the most important person in the universe. In Destiny no one is ever bothered or has the time to explain anything to you and when you complete all the story missions you are literally just handed a gun and told to go out and shoot more stuff.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I quite enjoy Destiny so far.
    The hollowed out Moon and the various structures, buried and unburied are beautiful and, at times, surprising.
    Sadly, this surprise is somewhat diminished when you are trekking over/under or though it for the nth time.
    Just opened Venus and looking forward to it, the levels there have a Gears of War post apocalyptic vibe to them.
    I find the weapon selection a chore tbh.
    With three weapons at your disposal and having to go to the options screen during live play to swap a scout rifle for a automatic one is a drag.
    Surely a weapons wheel would have made this selection process more efficient or a trio of weapons of your own choosing, instead of being compelled to carry normal/special and heavy weapons in that available slots.

o1s1n wrote: »
    Did anyone go to DICE over the weekend by the way? I was really disappointed (and felt completely ripped off)

Went into the ground floor area. Few comic stalls in a cramped room with Irish comic creators trying to sell their wares. Thought this was the lobby and the main event was upstairs, so proceeded to go over to the counter and pay my €15 (along with my sister and a mate, so €45 in total) for the grand show upstairs.

Went upstairs to find a big (almost empty) room with some tables scattered around the edges with artists sitting at them.

Confused, we circled the room, looking for another (imaginary) door leading to a room full of stalls an interesting things (which didn't exist), then walking back down the stairs into the 'free' area about a minute later.

Managed to get 10% off our dinner in Counter (saving €6.00) but still, dafuq? If you're going to charge €15 a head, make sure there's actually something passed the paypoint worth the cost of entry.

Unless of course I'm a complete idiot and there was something beyond that empty room...?

What's DICE? Some sort of comic convention?

CBG_TwitterThumbnail_7_1.jpg

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I quite enjoy Destiny so far.
    The hollowed out Moon and the various structures, buried and unburied are beautiful and, at times, surprising.
    Sadly, this surprise is somewhat diminished when you are trekking over/under or though it for the nth time.
    Just opened Venus and looking forward to it, the levels there have a Gears of War post apocalyptic vibe to them.
    I find the weapon selection a chore tbh.
    With three weapons at your disposal and having to go to the options screen during live play to swap a scout rifle for a automatic one is a drag.
    Surely a weapons wheel would have made this selection process more efficient or a trio of weapons of your own choosing, instead of being compelled to carry normal/special and heavy weapons in that available slots.

There are difficulty levels where you never get ammo drops for the weapon you're currently using so it forces you to keep juggling between your 3 equipped weapons. It's an interesting mechanic.

I've only got one legendary weapon so far, unfortunately it's a Scout Rifle which I'm not super fond of as a weapon type. But if I get a headshot with it then it causes the enemy to explode damaging all around it, which is fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Tomo.Murphy

With the hype they've had behind it for the past 2 or so years, I'd have assumed there was more to it than just one room and a reception area. I know they had some exclusive comics in the comic shop outside of the shopping centre but I've heard very little else about it. I've thought about going to some of the Dublin conventions, but they don't really seem to be worth the effort at the minute. Sure both the Dublin Comic Con and the one in Dundrum would cost me at least €15 in a taxi or an hour plus on a bus before paying for tickets. If they had larger sales areas then maybe I'd be more interested. I'm not into standing around for panels, signings and getting things drawn up.

From what I've seen, walking around confused seems to be a fair description of the conventions here at the minute.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

What's DICE? Some sort of comic convention?

Yep! After enjoying the one in the RDS quite a lot I thought I'd pop out to this one in Dundrum. Bad idea :( Will know for next time I guess.

The car boot sale I was at earlier that day blew it out of the water for entertainment, and it was free in :D
    From what I've seen, walking around confused seems to be a fair description of the conventions here at the minute.

The thing is, if it was €15 at the door then I wouldn't have felt so bad. But the fact that most of the thing was downstairs, where you didn't have to pay at all, and then to wander upstairs to not very much after paying that was annoying.

They should have explained at the desk that you were paying to go up to meet comic creators/get sketches and that's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

I've played Destiny with a couple of friends every night for the last two weeks and counting. Haven't had a game grip me like that in a long time. The lack of story is a plus for me tbh, I couldn't be bothered watching cut-scenes - I just want to shoot/loot/buy/decode things and dance in various inappropriate locations. Have been reading the Grimoire cards on the app from time-to-time though.

Originally had no intention of investing the time required to organize or take part in a raid, but I think I'm sold on trying it at this point.

Which one was in the RDS? The only ones I could think of were that one and the one in the convention area out near the airport.

I didn't see much info released about DICE this year, just the list of panels that would be held over the weekend. They don't strike me as something I'd be too interested in. I'd prefer if it was just a room full of sellers personally.

ghostchant wrote: »
    I've played Destiny with a couple of friends every night for the last two weeks and counting. Haven't had a game grip me like that in a long time. The lack of story is a plus for me tbh, I couldn't be bothered watching cut-scenes - I just want to shoot/loot/buy/decode things and dance in various inappropriate locations. Have been reading the Grimoire cards on the app from time-to-time though.

Originally had no intention of investing the time required to organize or take part in a raid, but I think I'm sold on trying it at this point.

I will add you up on PSN.

Really want to do the raid, seems to be a good way to get ascendant shards which I desperately need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭STG.Otaku

Spotted this limited edition FC Porto PS4 at the stadium shop yesterday. Didn't know Sony were making these. Nice if you follow the team I guess...

azTiBfX.jpg

STG.Otaku wrote: »
    Spotted this limited edition FC Porto PS4 at the stadium shop yesterday. Didn't know Sony were making these. Nice if you follow the team I guess...

I'd say you were gutted there wasn't a Real Madrid version available. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭STG.Otaku

I'd say you were gutted there wasn't a Real Madrid version available. :P

Nah. I didn't have the two bob bits so I could defecate all over them. :pac:

Their poxy little hovel of a so-called shop in Madrid though probably sells them though.

I'd buy a Barcelona one though of course! :)

DinoRex wrote: »
    If you're finding combat dull then try increasing the difficulty. I find the gunplay immensely satisfying to the point that it's easy to overlook any other flaws as you're too busy carving your own story, pulling back slightly from combat so you can make a bigger push forward constant carving a path into the enemy lines. The gameplay mechanics in the Vault of Glass raid look amazing, things like time portals that some players have to go through while others defend the portal to stop it from closing. It's a shame the strikes aren't laid out similarly.

I actually find the gunplay very satisfying, certainly enough to keep me playing. The Crucible is quite enjoyable too, where it's just straight up arena combat. I just don't think the combat alone make up for the deficiencies elsewhere :)

I'd actually rank story down the list of its problems, although not entirely neglible given you have a floating exposition ball relaying nonsensical lore to you all the time. Mostly I'm rarely less than aware of the artificiality of the whole enterprise. I don't feel I'm in a coherent, consistent universe with other players. I think there are a whole lot of gameplay systems stuck together haphazardly. I don't think the game offers enough variety to make said systems reach their potential. The level, enemy and mission design are at best bland and at worst insipid. There are fleeting moments of excellence, but they're rare indeed. Even technical limitations like its awkward menu system or frustrating loading times serve to shatter immersion regularly - at times it's more like a design document than a credibly universe, and its gameplay systems are far too transparent. Like when you're dumped back to space everytime you finish a mission - most of the time Id like to be able to root around for loot or secrets, but the game has other ideas.

I'm comparing it to Titanfall, which is the last online FPS I played in any depth. That game is similar to Destiny in many ways - awful storytelling, one-note design, static level design, turgid lore and bland mission design. But it also felt gloriously lively and dynamic, as there were enough mechanics to ensure every game (and indeed minute) feels fresh, with things getting constantly mixed up in the heat of battle. There's more room IMO for player expression / strategy and the emergence of crazy, exciting and funny stories. It might just be about shooting stuff too (and heck the guns themselves probably pack more of a punch in Destiny), but in Titanfall's case I was more willing to forgive its shortcomings because of the nuances of the design and the relentless thrill of every team deathmatch. Sadly, the 'respawning restricted' message doesn't for me cause the same giddy anticipation as waiting to dive out of the drop ship at the start of a Titanfall match, or that intense rush back to it at the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭MrVestek

I was there both days. Surprised I didn't see you.

The panels were on in Dundrum, the panels desk is where you queued up to get your ticket.

I only went to one panel to feel like I was getting some money's worth though, I spent most of my time outside with friends and wandering around the trade hall.

Not having the pay desk at the front door was such a waste of time, it really was.

*edit*

I must point out though that it was great seeing friends again and being invited to the after parties etc.

That was the fun part really.

I suppose I would have felt even more ripped off if I hadn't have just found €30 in one of my cosplays that day... that basically covered the weekend for me!

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

MrVestek wrote: »
    I was there both days. Surprised I didn't see you.

Oh, you were there? Did you get Johnathan Frake's autograph? :D

Yeah I saw you milling about with all the cosplay guys outside. Looked like you were all having a right laugh.
    MrVestek wrote: »
    Not having the pay desk at the front door was such a waste of time, it really was.

Silly really, they could have made a lot more and folks would have seemed less disgruntled! Odd decision really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

I was there on the Saturday only and while I enjoyed it, I can see how you might feel a little miffed.

The upper area (paid entry area) hosted the, we'll say, celebrity comic creators; folks working full time at Marvel, DC & Image. I wasn't too pushed on getting anything signed but I saw quite a few people walking around with stacks of comics to get signed; no my bag but I've nothing against people who are into that.

The main draw, as I saw it, to paid entry was that only ticket holders were permitted access to the panels, which were held in Movies @ Dundrum. I thought that that system sounded fair, until at one stage I saw some people walking around handing out tickets to these panels to people walking around the ground floor. I'm nothing against including as many people as possible in comic discussion but if that's the main draw to paying for entry then don't do it in front of the people who handed over cash.

Having been to MCM in the RDS, Dublin Comic Con by the Airport and DICE this year I have to say that I enjoyed DICE the most. There was much more of a focus on the business of comics, the creation process and more opportunities to meet major creators whose books I have been reading throughout the year. The somewhat ironic thing is that for a con that promotes the idea that comics are for everybody (and to be fair there was a welcoming atmosphere there throughout the weekend) it seemed that one had to be a bit of a dedicated comic fan to get the most out of the weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

I'm surprised about DICE and sad it wasn't all that good, I had wanted to go but even if Retr0 had his car I was ill myself, sure ye'll tell me more at the beers :p

So y'all kickstarting Bear Senpai?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1286005138/bear-senpai-date-the-bear-of-your-dreams :pac:

That main image :eek:

So y'all kickstarting Bear Senpai?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1286005138/bear-senpai-date-the-bear-of-your-dreams :pac:

That main image :eek:
    There is something very wrong with that game.
    Unless its a dating sim for a particular subset of the gay scene, in which case each to their own.
    I might also surmise any relationship with a Polar bear is doomed from the outset, with the initial embrace inevitably going to quickly lead to mauling, decapitation, dismemberment, and a good meal, at least for the bear...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Whoever backed it with 3000, must really love bears.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭safetyboy

http://www.redbullmusicacademy.com/magazine/diggin-in-the-carts

few episodes up now! not watched any yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

My son is playing through Earthbound at the moment, he just reached something that reminds me of Sera's necklace that she was wearing at the last beers.
    P1040711_zps8de26b71.jpg

Monkeykube wrote: »
    My son is playing through Earthbound at the moment, he just reached something that reminds me of Sera's necklace that she was wearing at the last beers.
    That was my theme, Earthbound, glad it made an impression, oddly enough I was looking at it today lol. One more person gets it, hooray! :)
    for anyone that missed it

Man that cow gave me a belly laugh when I talked to him before and after the events in that town :)

• Advertisement

Good article on the Namco Museum games that were released on US PSN recently

http://www.usgamer.net/articles/virtual-spotlight-namco-museum-a-recursive-and-remarkable-loop-of-game-history

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Sold stuff on ebay, now buyer is saying it never turned up :( Looks like I'm going to be out of pocket where or not the goods arrived..

Master of the Universe

Sold stuff on ebay, now buyer is saying it never turned up :( Looks like I'm going to be out of pocket where or not the goods arrived..

Ah balls :( - I take it that it was unregistered post?

Yep, wasn't going what far so cheaped out and went for regular postage :( Ah well lesson learned..

See how long they're willing to wait? I asked a girl in the UK to give up to 35 days to get there since afaik it's 40/45 to claim with PP, on day 30 it came thankfully.
    Fingers crossed it'll work out and ot turns up, I had sent photos of the parcel and receipt to her that had helped.
    It's hard without tracking to defend yourself as a seller against claims.

Ya its just been over a week now so asked then to wait another while before starting a dispute. My own fault for no registering it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

The only thing is the cost of registering it may put off some buyers. If I'm selling anything on Adverts I normally ask for a certificate of postage for regular post. It doesn't cost anything afaik, your package is taken in at the counter and you keep the certificate as proof of postage. May be useful if selling anything on the likes of Adverts but Ebay is a different kettle of fish alltogether. Paypal always seem to side with buyers in any claims although it's sellers they make their money from. It's your responsibility as a seller to make sure the buyer gets their item irrespective of what postage they chose.

It sucks, but that's the way it is. Hope it wasn't anything too expensive, still may turn up yet. Picked up a bit of a bargin myself in the shape of a ds lite from Ebay. Feel a bit bad the seller charged 10 euro postage but it actually cost 11. Everything's in great shape, can't see guitar hero getting much use though.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nintendo-ds-lite-/151417401981?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=erDa%252FIlraPmAijBtizwCsjUG9Zk%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

I have that guitar hero game. Haven't played it too much, but It's pretty fun and has some ok songs. I only paid around €3 for it complete in its box. A little awkward to play with a big hand though. I can only play 2-3 songs before my hand starts to cramp up. A little harder to play than the console versions too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Got caught myself with that a while ago. You have no comeback. I had the receipt of me sending it with the timestamp on it matching up to about 2 minutes before I marked the item dispatched. Paypal dont want to here about it either unless the item was found so I tried to drag it out as long as possible. Even made enquiries to An Post.

Paypal took the 35 quid off me and 6 months later I get a response from An Post. A gift of 4 national stamps and a letter saying sorry they couldn't find it. I just know the seller got the stuff aswell! Still pisses me off

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement