Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arcade and Retro General Chat in Karkariko Village Tavern: Live Ocarina Music

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

yeah the grip was far from perfect, and it didn't help that the DSi (which it wasn't compatible with) came out only 9 months later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Ya its just been over a week now so asked then to wait another while before starting a dispute. My own fault for no registering it...
    I rarely send stuff to the UK with tracking, I left out part of the address a month ago and it still got there but I mostly sell on Facebook groups maybe theyre more forgiving

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,269 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

New Smash Bros game, Wii U or 3DS? I can't decide :\

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

o1s1n wrote: »
    New Smash Bros game, Wii U or 3DS? I can't decide :\

get both and get the soundtrack or free :L

Master of the Universe

Hah! Not a chance will I play both games :D It's one or the other.

Kind of gravitating towards Wii U at the moment as I've been itching for a new game to play on it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Hah! Not a chance will I play both games :D It's one or the other.

Kind of gravitating towards Wii U at the moment as I've been itching for a new game to play on it.

Defo the Wii U version for me - GC controller support. Also, there's been some pics posted online of broken 3DS thumbsticks from playing Smash, not sure how wipespread that issue is, but I don't fancy putting mine through the mill with a fighting game.

Not sure if there's an exact release date for it yet though? If you're looking for a new Wii U game then there's always Bayonetta 2 at the end of the month aswell. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

It'd be nice if Nintendo gave you a substantial discount off one if you bought the other. There's no way otherwise I'd be paying full whack for both.

Myrddin wrote: »
    It'd be nice if Nintendo gave you a substantial discount off one if you bought the other. There's no way otherwise I'd be paying full whack for both.

I think we're spoilt by Sony's 'cross-platform' games feature. :)

Andrew76 wrote: »
    I think we're spoilt by Sony's 'cross-platform' games feature. :)

It's a model that works though, & undeniably incentivises purchasing. Nintendo would do well to implement something similar. With non-unified accounts, & non cross platform eshop purchasing, it's pretty lame compared to Sony's model.

• Advertisement

It's a model that works though, & undeniably incentivises purchasing. Nintendo would do well to implement something similar. With non-unified accounts, & non cross platform eshop purchasing, it's pretty lame compared to Sony's model.

Yep. Nintendo have always been years behind their competitors when it comes to online features, rubbish they are in that regard.

Master of the Universe

I'm far removed from the bliss of PSN, but would it basically mean you can download a game and play it on either your Vita or PS3/PS4?

Sounds amazing if that's the case. I'd kill for that functionality between the 3DS and Wii U.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,890 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Sony probably makes it very easy to convert their more simple games to Vita with their dev tools and they don't offer it for everything, mostly just their smaller games. For Nintendo it costs a hell of a lot more to make a 3DS and WiiU version.

I'm far removed from the bliss of PSN, but would it basically mean you can download a game and play it on either your Vita or PS3/PS4?

Sounds amazing if that's the case. I'd kill for that functionality between the 3DS and Wii U.

A lot of titles are cross platform yeah, ie if you buy it for your PS3 you can have it for the Vita too. Some titles lately are covering ALL platforms, so you buy it once & have it available on PS3, Vita & PS4. If Nintendo had such a model, I can say with confidence I'd be spending a lot more on the eshop than I currently do. That's not saying much really, as I spend very little on it. Until my purchases get tied to my account rather than hardware, I'm really not that interested.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Sony probably makes it very easy to convert their more simple games to Vita with their dev tools and they don't offer it for everything, mostly just their smaller games. For Nintendo it costs a hell of a lot more to make a 3DS and WiiU version.

That may be so, but as a customer/consumer, I'm not that interested in the problems associated with cross platform for Nintendo, I'm interested in value and spending money with them. They're a company with the assets & funding that dwarf the competition, there really is no excuse. If conversion is an issue, just have the account recognise that whatever content has already been bought doesn't have to be paid for on the other platform.

That's their hardware/software design choice though. They should at least implement purchases tied to account rather than hardware - not sure what their excuse has been to date not to. Not like they can't afford to implement it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

I've zero interest in playing a Smash Bros game on a handheld.

Really looking forward to the Wii U version though. Wish it was coming out at the same time.

They've actually had to cripple the Wii U one a bit apparently as it needs the same character line up as the 3DS version and the 3DS couldn't handle the Ice Climbers.

Looks like they are doing another free game offer on Smash Bros 3DS though:

BzBVfA5IIAAMVxV.png

DinoRex wrote: »
    Looks like they are doing another free game offer on Smash Bros 3DS though:

BzBVfA5IIAAMVxV.png

But you have to buy a handheld along with one of the games, not just the game. It's great for someone looking to get a handheld that's also interested in Smash or Pokemon (or Ciderman :pac:), useless to the rest of us.

Looks like they're going back as far as September 2014 for the hardware registration though.

But you have to buy a handheld along with one of the games, not just the game. It's great for someone looking to get a handheld that's also interested in Smash or Pokemon (or Ciderman :pac:), useless to the rest of us.

That's how I've felt about all these registration promotions from Nintendo tbh, useless to me. Nintendo seem to be oblivious to the fact that software sells hardware, not the other way around. It's good they're trying these things out, but value wise in the current console market, I feel Nintendo are lacking in what they offer to existing customers who have several Nintendo platforms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Tomo.Murphy

I haven't registered mine yet. I don't think I've ever registered a Nintendo product. I'll probably pick up a copy of ruby or sapphire and get a code for Zelda if I do decide to make use of it. I never played the original GBA Pokemon games anyway.

Is this something they do coming up to Christmas every year?

That's how I've felt about all these registration promotions from Nintendo tbh, useless to me. Nintendo seem to be oblivious to the fact that software sells hardware, not the other way around. It's good they're trying these things out, but value wise in the current console market, I feel Nintendo are lacking in what they offer to existing customers who have several Nintendo platforms.

It's a bit like Sky with all their great offers for new customers, fcuk the existing ones though. :rolleyes:

The Nintendo bargain's I got earlier this year were Gamestop promotions more so than Nintendo's, other than the Mario Kart code.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Some games yeah, and often the free ones on PSN+ are cross platform, with cloud save features too. Get to a section on your ps3 then pick it up on the vita and continue from the same place. It's the job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Is this something they do coming up to Christmas every year?

Yeah I think they do it around the time of every big nintendo game release and the holidays too. I remember I got professor layton a couple of years ago when I got and registered the 3DSXL and that was around November/December

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

History of Mastertronic , done by the Retro Asylum guys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭eddhorse

History of Mastertronic , done by the Retro Asylum guys.

I listen to these guys every week, only complaint is that the sound on some podcasts is very poor, like an echo in the toilet ! I'll still keep listening though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

My N64 collection has gone to its new home :(
    Missing it already.
    The fact I've made about 600 out of the lot and it was all unboxed and PAL makes the departure a little easier to cope with!
    And I've another 80 incoming for the remainder too.
    I was walking around GS and CEX today and there wasn't a single thing I has to have though.
    Am I getting jaded with it all I wonder?
    Bayonetta 1 and 2 on the WiiU should brighten things right up, as well as Alien Isolation, actually that should sort me out for a horror game this Slock-tober as well!

I find the quality of alot of the 3rd party games are quite abysmal for the last couple of years.

Evident to the start of this gen already and we have probably the poorest excuse of marketing hype from very talented developers and under delivered games.

Destiny
    Battlefield 4
    Watchdogs
    Aliens Colonel Marines
    Titanfall

I do not even know what to make of the lotr: shadow of assassin creed ( probably still a good game )

Games are starting to feel like music to me , hating everything thats out new and always end up saying the old stuff the best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

Very few consoles have anything worth investing in for the first year or so imo. Promises of shiny new graphics and must have titles, all b@llox. People keep buying into the hype, hype and marketing sells consoles and it's been that way for years now.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    My N64 collection has gone to its new home :(
    Missing it already.
    The fact I've made about 600 out of the lot and it was all unboxed and PAL makes the departure a little easier to cope with!
    And I've another 80 incoming for the remainder too.
    I was walking around GS and CEX today and there wasn't a single thing I has to have though.
    Am I getting jaded with it all I wonder?
    Bayonetta 1 and 2 on the WiiU should brighten things right up, as well as Alien Isolation, actually that should sort me out for a horror game this Slock-tober as well!

selling your retro collection to fund current gen purchases?

088b5078e31546dbc603f0ae89323154.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Tomo.Murphy

Monkeykube wrote: »
    Very few consoles have anything worth investing in for the first year or so imo. Promises of shiny new graphics and must have titles, all b@llox. People keep buying into the hype, hype and marketing sells consoles and it's been that way for years now.

I couldn't agree more. I've nothing against people who pick up the new consoles on/near launch, but it's not for me. I generally wait for the slim models to release now before buying them. A slight graphical improvement isn't enough to make me want to go out and spend €300-400 on a new console. Sure, I don't think there has been one title that would sway me in either direction. The only games that have come out on the XOne/PS4 that I would play have been released on the older consoles too.

The only newer console that I've been tempted to buy recently is the WiiU.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,890 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Well got dicked over with a dodgy RGB PS2 cable. Doesn't output in RGB and the composite signal it does give is god awful. I got it from amazon from a third party. Do I complain through amazon?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Re N64 sell off
    No, its not for funding current gen stuff
    Its just I find I'm not attached at all to the carts on the N64, beyond a few classics.
    Everything else runs just fine on the NTSC N64 via my Everdrive.

Just so you know. Also some slight alcohol. But this is reserved.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

What? No hanging it around your neck like the king himself, Gary King?

The-Worlds-End.jpg

Kids these days, with their matching earrings and handbags/purses... :p

Kids these days, with their matching earrings and handbags/purses... :p

Sure I'm only fabliss!

Picked up forza horizon 2 yesterday and have to say I'm seriously impressed. Its like TDU 2 but much better. In one of the first races I found myself ploughing through a vinyard sideways in a supra and shortly after I was flying through the streets of Nice in the rain in a clio. Its a hell of a lot of fun and definitely recommend it. Looks great too, well on the XB1 anyway.

GetPhotoashx_zps706c6b37.jpg

clio_zps25cc6bf2.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Interesting piece on restoring Habitat.

http://www.wired.com/2014/10/restoring-habitat/
    Alex Handy is the founder and director of the Museum of Art and Digital Entertainment, also known as Oakland’s Videogame Museum. It’s his job to collect and preserve the history of a medium that many regard as disposable beyond the lifetime of a single console generation. Late last year, while preparing a retrospective of Lucasfilm Games, he wondered if anyone had even a few lines of code for the company’s groundbreaking role-playing game Habitat.

EDIT: can someone fix my quote tags, damn iphone.
    Consider them fixed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Re N64 sell off
    No, its not for funding current gen stuff
    Its just I find I'm not attached at all to the carts on the N64, beyond a few classics.
    Everything else runs just fine on the NTSC N64 via my Everdrive.

Good to hear my donated Everdrive64 is of some sort of benefit so :D

• Advertisement

I don't normally like custom cases etc, but that is very cool. The detail in it is great

I don't know. Seems like a brilliant time for games at the moment.

I'm still putting lots of time into Destiny.

Have Shadows of Mordor and Alien: Isolation on the way. Which are both supposed to be excellent. (Hopefully Mordor isn't too Assassins Creedy as I'm not a fan of those games.)

I still have the Vanishing of Ethan Carter and the last bit of Dark Souls 2 DLC to touch and Legend of Grimrock 2 is out this week and the new Dreamfall game (which I've been waiting 8 years for to see the cliffhanger resolved) is out later this month.

I'm finding it a bit dull to be honest when it comes to the home consoles. The WiiU has exciting stuff but it's trickling out. the PS4 and Xbox One have totally failed to impress, although I really want to play D4, but sure they've not been out a year so that is to be expected. Everything is so very safe on them at the moment but that will hopefully change. Stuff like Shadows of Mordor and Alien Isolation look interesting but I've a feeling they're the kind of games that will be forgotten in 2 years. (disclaimer: I could be wrong!).

I've been very disappointed with handhelds this year. The 3DS has kind of disappointed after the incredible year it had last year while the Vita is having a much better year although only if you like your obscure JRPGs.

PC and indie games have been knocking it out of the park though with some very exciting releases.

It's a new generation transition period, it could be another 2 years before the home consoles become anything close to exciting. I remember it was 2007 before the 360 had a steady stream of great games and about 2008 when the PS3 finally stopped sucking badly.

I don't know. Seems like a brilliant time for games at the moment.

I'm still putting lots of time into Destiny.

Have Shadows of Mordor and Alien: Isolation on the way. Which are both supposed to be excellent. (Hopefully Mordor isn't too Assassins Creedy as I'm not a fan of those games.)

I still have the Vanishing of Ethan Carter and the last bit of Dark Souls 2 DLC to touch and Legend of Grimrock 2 is out this week and the new Dreamfall game (which I've been waiting 8 years for to see the cliffhanger resolved) is out later this month.

Well out of the loop I am so, never knew they were making a sequel to Grimrock! Trailer looks pretty decent. Mostly playing Elite Dangerous these days, seriously satisfies my space piloting needs. :D

I'm finding it a bit dull to be honest when it comes to the home consoles. The WiiU has exciting stuff but it's trickling out. the PS4 and Xbox One have totally failed to impress, although I really want to play D4, but sure they've not been out a year so that is to be expected. Everything is so very safe on them at the moment but that will hopefully change. Stuff like Shadows of Mordor and Alien Isolation look interesting but I've a feeling they're the kind of games that will be forgotten in 2 years. (disclaimer: I could be wrong!).

I've been very disappointed with handhelds this year. The 3DS has kind of disappointed after the incredible year it had last year while the Vita is having a much better year although only if you like your obscure JRPGs.

PC and indie games have been knocking it out of the park though with some very exciting releases.

It's a new generation transition period, it could be another 2 years before the home consoles become anything close to exciting. I remember it was 2007 before the 360 had a steady stream of great games and about 2008 when the PS3 finally stopped sucking badly.

I find alot of the indie games to be quite poor and really you have to nose dive in to find any of the unique games that are good.

• Advertisement

So...I watched The Wolf of Wall Street over the weekend. HOLY HELL, what a movie. It's just so much fun seeing stupid people like Jordan doing such morally reprehensible stuff and seeing how it'll all end. Though I do fully expect that some people (money minded American libertarians, for one) will miss the point of what message the movie has to offer (i.e., you can only live a hedonistic lifestyle because of questionable corporate matters for so long before your luck runs out).

I'm in two minds about buying either Alien Isolation or Smash Bros tomorrow.
    I have to wonder how much play the latter will get and I have a while bunch of fps on the PS4 already.
    I've played the Smash Bros demo and our seems like manic but shallow fun.
    Am I wrong?

Have Shadows of Mordor and Alien: Isolation on the way. Which are both supposed to be excellent.

still only played one good LOTR game

8264.jpg

Wasn't that the crappy one that EA just ripped off Final Fantasy X and added boring?

Wasn't that the crappy one that EA just ripped off Final Fantasy X and added boring?
    Hey, if it was enough for my older brother, it's enough for the casual audience.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement