Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arcade and Retro General Chat in Karkariko Village Tavern: Live Ocarina Music

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,036 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The Spectrum had a CPU that was clocked faster than the C64 one, almost twice as fast, so it was much better suited to pure computation. The C64 had a slower processor but it had a lot of hardware/silicon (not sure which, probably silicon) that dealt with scrolling and sprites that took a lot of the workload off the processor when it came to sprite based games.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,036 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Had a 'microcontroller' not a microprocessor :)

No, it's definitely a microprocessor. Isn't the microcontroller for interface anyway?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

Here's the datasheet for the 6510, not sure how it couldn't be classified as a microprocessor.

http://archive.6502.org/datasheets/mos_6510_mpu_nov_1982.pdf

(Having school yard flashbacks here)

Just looked it up there. A microcontroller is a microprocessor but with integrated silicon to perform other functions.

Basically the speccy is made from off the shelf parts with a CPU and supporting functions on separate dies. The C64 microcontroller integrates a lot of those functions on the one die.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    No, it's definitely a microprocessor. Isn't the microcontroller for interface anyway?

Well according to Mr. Peddle (the original 6502 designer) its a microcontroller so I kinda believe him. He designed it for controlling peripherals originally.

The difference between the two (controller/processor) was a lot less pronounced back then as it is now and I'm trolling just a little bit :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

Where's Johnny lately? I'd like him to see what I thought about The Wolf of Wall Street.
    CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Here's some help

and for the Sega/Ninty confused here's the Vanilla Dome music played on a MD!
    And to further the whole music theme. Here's the opening level music of Mega Man X3 being played on a SNES...

And here it is being played on a Mega Drive.

Wolf of Wall Street was good... but it relied too much on improv which made some of the scenes go on much longer than the needed to.

Except for the quaaludes scene, that was excruciatingly long and brilliant for it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

An important point to make about the Spectrum and C64 is that the Spectrum really drove the price of the C64 down.
    It was always seen as a premium product but its pricing was quite high, as a US import while Sinclair machine was locally grown.
    The low price of the Spectrum helped the C64 attain a popular price and made it the success it was.

DinoRex wrote: »
    Except for the quaaludes scene, that was excruciatingly long and brilliant for it.
    Oh god, that scene. I almost died laughing when this happened.

http://youtu.be/gcc4QuZymGc?t=2m40s

Amazing Spider-Man 2 was better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Bit off topic but for anyone interested I'll be on the Ray Darcy show tomorrow morning around nine.

I'll be talking about my nude work for hen parties. And I'll be going be the name of Jack Burton so keep an ear out for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

Bit off topic but for anyone interested I'll be on the Ray Darcy show tomorrow morning around nine.

I'll be talking about my nude work for hen parties. And I'll be going be the name of Jack Burton so keep an ear out for me

Best of luck tomorrow, and keep your trousers on ya duuurty slut:p

Don't even get me started, Retro. Just...don't.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Tried playing mario world again , i am finding it very boring , I just cannot get into it
    I just dont like SMB myself..
    I'd ditch it and get Kid Chameleon on the Meg..;)

Speccy and C64 were class machines ..I was the eejit with the Atari 8bit mind you.(which in fairness could throw 3d shapes and sprites around quite easily)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,392 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

A bit late to this conversation but had to chime in on it! I never owned a megadrive myself when I was young and always thought sonic was no where near as good as Mario. I started out with a C64 then went Nes then onto snes. To say a lot of people's first experience of Mario was world I don't think is right, I remember being in school talking to my friends about Mario 1 and 2 and the hype in this country (and the world) for Mario 3 was huge. Everyone I knew In school was talking about it. Personally I don't think the sonic games have a patch on Mario.

Dr Bob wrote: »
    I'd ditch it and get Kid Chameleon on the Meg..;)

Do people really like that game, I can't stand it myself. I'd go so far to say that it's awful.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

keithgeo wrote: »
    A bit late to this conversation but had to chime in on it! I never owned a megadrive myself when I was young and always thought sonic was no where near as good as Mario. I started out with a C64 then went Nes then onto snes. To say a lot of people's first experience of Mario was world I don't think is right, I remember being in school talking to my friends about Mario 1 and 2 and the hype in this country (and the world) for Mario 3 was huge. Everyone I knew In school was talking about it. Personally I don't think the sonic games have a patch on Mario.

I remember when Dun Laoghaire shopping centre got a NES kiosk with Mario 1, was very popular, got me hooked anyway. I don't remember Mario 2 being on my radar much but 3 was massive - joining funds with the brothers to buy a copy of that lovely yellow box in Dunnes one Christmas, £40 or so it was! One of my fondest gaming memories was playing that game for the first time - bursting with colour compared to the first. I was a little bit older by the time I got my hands on a SNES and SMW so it didn't have as much an impact on me, what a launch game though.

Do people really like that game, I can't stand it myself. I'd go so far to say that it's awful.

...which is pretty much how I feel about SuperMarioWorld ;)

non retro (but hey the last few pages have had more nintendo than the nintendo forum so hey!)
    but was a bit down last night and decided to try Farcry3 Blood Dragon to see if it'd cheer me up.
    Holy it crap it did! Its ..the first 5 minutes are part amiga intro , part crappy 80's straight to video action movie ..its a total joy , and really quite funny :)

no idea if you can buy this from ireland , but newegg are selling it for about $3 at the mo'
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832138231

todays useless factoid:

this is Mass Effects suiicide mission music:

This is Doctor Who's :I am the Doctor theme..they're quite similar..I mean REALLY similar..

....aaaand this is the obligitory both together vid...

• Advertisement

It's odd there there doesn't seem to be a theme for the new Doctor. The only repeating motif is Clara's theme.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

...which is pretty much how I feel about SuperMarioWorld ;)

:( how can this be... I understand not

Damn, I was after Robot Alchemic Drive for ages but the prices on ebay are silly. There was an auction for one yesterday and I forgot to snipe. Went for $30 :'(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,833 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Was on a plane the other day and decided to give the latest Ace Attorney game a whirl as it had been sitting on my SD card for a while. Unfortunately, the first case revolves around an explosion and I ultimately felt it necessary to turn it off as giant flashing countdowns and copious bolded use of the word BOMB kept appearing on the screen :pac:

Not quite as bad as the time I accidentally wore my Mario Bob-omb t-shirt to the airport and got some very peculiar looks from security.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Don't even get me started, Retro. Just...don't.

tobey-cry.jpg
    Do you not like Spider-Man?
    Or was it just that movie?
    Nostalgia Critic did a thing comparing both trilogies? it's pretty good. I didn't see the new ones, I dunno what new film I saw in the cinema last. I have a ticket in my wallet I'm waiting to use for months but the lads went off and saw whatever I wanted to see before I'd the chance to use it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Danonino. wrote: »
    :( how can this be... I understand not

He's sick, we try not to draw attention to him....
    Just let him on his way...

Im not saying they're bad games ...I just dont like the mario games ....(bar SMB 1 on the nes)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Tomo.Murphy

I've enjoyed all of the Mario games I've played (with the exception of SMB2/Doki Doki Panic. I don't mind playing it, but it's just not the same :-(). The lost levels was quite fun at times too. Just finished that recently enough. Infuriating at other times though. Took five attempts to get to the end of one of the later levels and when I finally got to the end I over-shot the jump and ended up at a warp pipe that would have taken me back to world 2/3 or so...

I haven't played Mario World in years, but I loved it when I was a kid. I played Yoshi's island on GBA when I was younger too. Lowered the volume after the first few worlds though. I'm sure you all know why, ha.

Sera wrote: »
    tobey-cry.jpg
    Do you not like Spider-Man?
    Or was it just that movie?
    Nostalgia Critic did a thing comparing both trilogies? it's pretty good. I didn't see the new ones, I dunno what new film I saw in the cinema last. I have a ticket in my wallet I'm waiting to use for months but the lads went off and saw whatever I wanted to see before I'd the chance to use it.
    No. I just don't like the last two. They're awful, awful movies that are among the very bottom of what superhero movies have to offer. Here's a couple of posts I made that showcased just how unlikeable Garfield's Parker is in the ASM movies and compared him to another unlikeable protagonist of another movie (Jordan Belford of The Wolf of Wall Street) and how it worked in that movie (I should mention, what did you think of Wolf, Johnny?).

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=133183124&postcount=185

His quipping only made him worse, considering just how obnoxious it sounds on celluloid. It just doesn't work at all and even worse if your protag is an infallible douche who doesn't seem to do any wrong. I mean, good god, he reduces his aunt to tears because he kept badgering her something that she didn't wish to bring up. And then he just had to go on. We're not meant to laugh at him like the Seinfeld characters and we're not anticipating his downfall like Jordan Belfort. This is a character of a superhero movie in which we're supposed to see him succeed and do better. But he doesn't change his jerkish attitude throughout the two movies. He doesn't learn anything about responsibility in them and they seem to try ever so hard to make it seem like the tragic moments of his life were never his fault. Compare that to ASM's Uncle Ben, which for whatever reason decides to go for the mugger's gun which lead to his demise. In Raimi's Spiderman, Pete let the robber go because he happened to steal from the wrestling promoter who screwed him. The end result his shooting Ben and the revelation of whom it was changes Pete and his out look (all brilliantly showcased in Spiderman 2 where he admitted to Aunt May that he was responsible for Uncle Ben's death). Well, it was since retconned in the third movie that it was Thomas Hayden Church who (accidentally) killed him, but my point still stands, as it was Pete's first leg of the journey in his understanding of those wise words that his Uncle said to him earlier that day.

And that...is part of the reason why the Amazing Spiderman movies will never hold a candle to the original Raimi trilogy.

See what happens when you get me started on these movies, Retro?

• Advertisement

I'll just stick with the original cartoon series.

Spider-man-opens-window.gif

I'll just stick with the original cartoon series.

Spider-man-opens-window.gif
    Got a better Rhino too.

tumblr_n2ioriBgXF1qlyxkuo1_400.gif

That animation, so so bad, they didn't work on the CDi LoZ cut scenes as well did they ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,833 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

(I should mention, what did you think of Wolf, Johnny?).

We do have a film forum where we have discussed the Wolf of Wall Street in a vivid and dynamic manner: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056755370

We do have a film forum where we have discussed the Wolf of Wall Street in a vivid and dynamic manner: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056755370
    Oi know, bruv. I just prefer talking here, that's all.

We can all go a little off topic now and again, but Johnny is right, for an in depth discussion head for the appropriate forum, especially if you are looking for a specific response from a moderator in that area who happens to be a regular here

• Advertisement

..and theres a nintendo forum for all you lots 3ds wii u and mario lovin' :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

..and theres a nintendo forum for all you lots 3ds wii u and mario lovin' :)

Says the man posting Far Cry 3/Mass Effect videos... :pac:

Sure let the mods worry about what's relevant.

Anyway, I thought it was the majestic NES and SNES Mairo games being discussed - definitely retro. No big deal if you don't like SMW, each to their own. I prefer SMB3 to it even if World is probably the better game.

Andrew76 wrote: »
    No big deal if you don't like SMW, each to their own.

I would argue it's a serious mental condition :pac:

I would argue it's a serious mental condition :pac:

As someone who is working in the field I would have to agree.
    Not liking Super Mario World should be a passport to ECT-City!

If thinking a game based on terrible 80s scifi actioneers with a 16 bit style static screen intro is retro is wrong I dont want to know whats right ..:)

• Advertisement

If anyone wants to know what I actually do like theres a desert island games podcast I did for another channel up now
    http://www.blogtalkradio.com/ru-network/2014/10/06/desert-island-games-40--bob-lets-get-retro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

As someone who is working in the field I would have to agree.
    Not liking Super Mario World should be a passport to ECT-City!

Should I be just banned from mentioning mario at this stage ?

Should I be just banned from mentioning mario at this stage ?

You provide far too much hilarity :P

You'll be the life of the office xmas party with this Sonic xmas jumper:

Sonic_1024x1024.jpeg

http://www.yellowbulldog.co.uk/products/sonic-xmas-jumper-numskull

You'll be the life of the office xmas party with this Sonic xmas jumper:

Sonic_1024x1024.jpeg

http://www.yellowbulldog.co.uk/products/sonic-xmas-jumper-numskull

10394596_10154702420855338_6354614018639052025_n.jpg?oh=94140a28e7dcc8ea91fbdc4d32e5ecc0&oe=54C336FF&__gda__=1422436266_f728fc09f9434c9b5246bdb580ea60d7

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,245 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Where do I get that? I totally want that.

Hey Richie,
    You know a Mario one would be much better ;)

MrVestek wrote: »
    Where do I get that? I totally want that.

What, his panties?

Hey Richie,
    You know a Mario one would be much better ;)

Not as good as shadow the hedgehog one ;)

What, his panties?
    HIS!?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement