Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arcade and Retro General Chat in Karkariko Village Tavern: Live Ocarina Music

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Tomo.Murphy

I like the Retro Gamer magazines. Bought the SNES/MD "bookazine" too. I had expected the bookazines to be a little bigger though.

Did the latest one only come out this Thursday? Didn't see it in Easons earlier on in the week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

I like the Retro Gamer magazines.
    Did the latest one only come out this Thursday? Didn't see it in Easons earlier on in the week.
    It's here in Limo anyway, assume it's the latest one, was sure I was with Retr0 when he got last months.
    I'm not sure if I was appropriately dressed to be buying it though... :pac:

The matching necklace sets it apart. Not sure about the sunflower mask though, ha.

I don't think I have any retro gaming attire. I might have to pick up one of those Christmas jumpers that were posted here yesterday.

The final issue of the official Nintendo magazine has either just released or is out next week too.

I don't think I have any retro gaming attire. I might have to pick up one of those Christmas jumpers that were posted here yesterday.

The final issue of the official Nintendo magazine has either just released or is out next week too.
    I have a Pac man ring as well. Other than tees I have a space invader necklace, I think that's it attire wise.
    Next week afaik, heard from a friend today, he was talking about it, he's pretty sad about it.

Haven't bought it in years myself, but I hate seeing long-running magazines either finish up or go digital only. I think the last one I bought was a special edition for the release of the DS with Metroid on the cover. I was the same when the Dandy magazine finished up too, even though I hadn't bought it since I was maybe 8-10, ha.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I used to buy every magazine I could find but the interweb has changed that.
    Now its just Edge once a month, for a year that was palling but its picked up in the last few months.
    Everything else I get online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

So I was playing through nights journey of dreams on the wii and I still think its better than the saturn version but I love both games.

It got me thinking though do I Like games people hate or simply cannot fathom why or how I like certain games or over ?

If I gave a list of my opinions I think I be thrown in a abyss

So I was playing through nights journey of dreams on the wii and I still think its better than the saturn version but I love both games.

It got me thinking though do I Like games people hate or simply cannot fathom why or how I like certain games or over ?

Hellish_Abyss2.png

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The Saturn original is amazing but the PS2 revamp is an incredible piece of work.
    TBH if the Dreamcast had made it it would have been a certainty that the Saturn remakes produced for the PS2 would have appeared there, winning a whole new audience for Nights and Sega Rally to name two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    The Saturn original is amazing but the PS2 revamp is an incredible piece of work.
    TBH if the Dreamcast had made it it would have been a certainty that the Saturn remakes produced for the PS2 would have appeared there, winning a whole new audience for Nights and Sega Rally to name two.

Whatever happened to yuji naka game that was suppose to be for the wii that was basically nights and sonic in the sky ?

Cant remember the name , the trailer years ago had me so excited

Never mind found it

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,890 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Oh you :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

Ugh, PAL Vib Ribbon eBay prices are all slightly more than I want to spend.

Why oh why did I trade my copy years ago? I miss that game. :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Good news then - it was just released on the US PSN and is due on the EU store this week I believe :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,269 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Ron DMC wrote: »
    Ugh, PAL Vib Ribbon eBay prices are all slightly more than I want to spend.

Why oh why did I trade my copy years ago? I miss that game. :(

Wow, When did that take off in price so much? Seems like the last time I looked it was going for about €25.

I got my copy in a Gamestop bargain bin about 10 years ago for 3 euro :D

I once saw a guy, around the time of the games release, wearing a black Vib Ribbon shirt, it was awe-sum!
    A quick Google later and here it is!
    vib_ribbon_promo_lj.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,890 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

o1s1n wrote: »
    Wow, When did that take off in price so much? Seems like the last time I looked it was going for about €25.

I got my copy in a Gamestop bargain bin about 10 years ago for 3 euro :D

Fecking Jeremy Parish wrote about and the yanks took interest. As much as I like and admire the guy, he's a terror for sending ebay prices through the roof.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Ridiculous update to the crappy mobile Crazy Taxi game:

14me84.jpg

Yah yah yah yah yah? More like nah nah nah nah nah!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

Ridiculous update to the crappy mobile Crazy Taxi game:

14me84.jpg

Yah yah yah yah yah? More like nah nah nah nah nah!
    WELL, LET ME TELL YOU SOMETHING, BROTHER...

Crazy Taxi doesn't deserve this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

Good news then - it was just released on the US PSN and is due on the EU store this week I believe :)

You just made my day. Excellent news altogether

• Advertisement

I played that Crazy Taxi game once before deleting it. I don't know what I was expecting it to be when I downloaded it, but the last thing I expected them to turn Crazy Taxi into was another Temple Run clone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

I played that Crazy Taxi game once before deleting it. I don't know what I was expecting it to be when I downloaded it, but the last thing I expected them to turn Crazy Taxi into was another Temple Run clone.

It's a temple run clone? Ah well that's a load of poo so :(

Sad to see so many great Japanese developers going mobile and making generic ****. Unfortunately that's where the market is going there.

I haven't played it in ages, but as far as I can remember it's pretty similar (swipe to turn, avoid obstacles, rinse and repeat). Not bad if you like the Temple Run/Minion Rush style games, but it's not for me.

The mobile port of the original is still enjoyable though. I think the best thing to come from the new game was that they made the original port free for a week before the release to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Sad to see so many great Japanese developers going mobile and making generic ****. Unfortunately that's where the market is going there.

Yeah agreed, even John and Ste Pickford have been making iOS games for a while now. Latest being Magnetic Billiards.
    Magnetic Billiards: Blueprint by Zee 3 Limited
    https://appsto.re/ie/2fIWz.i

Quite a history those brothers have:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ste_and_John_Pickford

Desert Golfing fills me with hope for mobile games. Brilliant minimalist art game hybrid of Angry Birds, Journey and Dark Souls that's basically just the designer trolling everyone while also offering some superb level design.

The Crazy Taxi game is truly a miserable pile of **** though. Not worth the space it hogs.

• Advertisement

There's good stuff on mobile but these Japanese developers are working for corporations that just want to copy what is popular and hence produce nothing but ****e.

I wonder what Terra Battle is like but doubt its great either.

Desert Golfing fills me with hope for mobile games. Brilliant minimalist art game hybrid of Angry Birds, Journey and Dark Souls that's basically just the designer trolling everyone while also offering some superb level design.

Much different to the 2D golf one?

2D Golfing by john stout
    https://appsto.re/ie/2_mO2.i

eddhorse wrote: »

2D Golfing by john stout

Cloned already. Pretty much sums up the cesspool that mobile gaming is turning into.

eddhorse wrote: »

2D Golfing by john stout

That looks like a shameless clone (clone? Mobile games? Never!) of Desert Golfing that has not got the devious wit, satirical intent, seemingly endless amount of levels and cruel permanence that defines its inspiration. Except no imitations :)

Fine so Mr Salesman, I'll get the non free version. Great for me waiting around in airports.
    When I searched for Desert Golf, the free alternative pops up, that's the issue I guess.
    I find most of these touch screen games are over complicated and unusable on a phone. Not so with that one.
    Thanks again.

• Advertisement

The copy I got of Crazy Taxi with the recent Android Humble Bundle is the proper game, no Temple run to worry about.

That looks like a shameless clone (clone? Mobile games? Never!) of Desert Golfing that has not got the devious wit, satirical intent, seemingly endless amount of levels and cruel permanence that defines its inspiration. Except no imitations :)

Actually looks like a clone of the old PC game Scourge, later seen as DEATH TAANK!
    Just replacing tanks and shells with a golfer and his balls.
    I could be wrong, its just what it reminds me of when I see it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

it's just the nature of mobile gaming in general.
    tiny screen plus lack of control options equals ****ty gaming.

I disagree, there are plenty of good, great and even fantastic games on mobile phones, but they really need to be seen as a platform of their own and one shouldn't expect a series that relies on certain features, like control pads, to succeed.
    That said, the likes of Threes, Super Hexagon, Star Vanisher and VVVVVV all work wonderfully on the touch screen as do, paradoxically, Raiden Legacy and the Cave shmup ports.
    So never say never about games for iOS and Android, there is always something worthy of your time, you just have to root about a bit to find them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

I find anything that need precise control impossible on touchscreens, new stuff with simplistic controls designed for touchscreens are ok but I've given up on all the emulators..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,269 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I thought games like Canabalt and Super Hexagon were the type of thing that touch screens were designed for - games where controlling with a touch screen would in fact be better (or at the very least on par with) a control pad.

I tried out both games with that NES bluetooth pad as a matter of interest and boy was I wrong.

So from that I've come to the conclusion that touch controls are simply just inferior for absolutely everything.

They do work quite well for some games though. The SMT port works surprisingly well, not a patch on a pad but it still works and isn't annoying. I'd love to see more FP dungeon crawlers done like that but alas all there is are ****ty Kemco JRPGs that look like final fantasy and just don't work.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Yeah touch controls are perfectly fine once they've been implemented correctly. Plants vs Zombies, Rayman, Threes!, tower defence type games - all perfectly playable - maybe ones you would normaly control with a mouse rather than joypad? If you need a controller for mobile games then you're doing it wrong imo - defeats the purpose of 'mobile' does it not. Stick to the format the game was designed for in that case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Oh Parcel Motel!! The trust is just gone at this stage :0(
    Received someone else's parcel on Saturday and a parcel I was expecting and was delivered (according to the tracking on amazon)seems to have gone missing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Steve SI wrote: »
    Oh Parcel Motel!! The trust is just gone at this stage :0(
    Received someone else's parcel on Saturday and a parcel I was expecting and was delivered (according to the tracking on amazon)seems to have gone missing.

Gone to pot alright. Took 6 days for a parcel to go from Finglas to Navan...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

Monument Valley which came out earlier this year was a wonderful mobile game. Just beautiful to look at.

I mostly play boardgame apps. There are some great adaptations of modern boardgames and it's a great way to learn the rules and hone your skills at a game. Smallworld and Waterdeep are great.

So got back from japan last night,
    What can I say!
    Amazing trip overall.
    the arcades in tokyo are really something else.
    Serious amount of games/cabs
    mostly viewlix tho :(
    seen a good few blasts and a few E2s and E3s.
    Now in fairness I wasn't in every one but not much CRT left :(
    even seen street fighter 2 running on a viewlix!

Loads of places have massive areas for card based games.
    Also games like total war seem popular and some other first person shooters!
    Also the rhythm games are a biggie.

I did play DoDonPachi SaiDaiOuJou (had to look that one up :D) on a E2 which was nice.All the CRT cabs I seen had two games in them and a button to switch games on the CP.

I did go to a "retro" arcade that had 5/6 sega cities which was pretty cool they also had 10 or so pinballs which was nice.
    loads of electro mechanical games too.

I'll post a few pics when I find them.

Gone to pot alright. Took 6 days for a parcel to go from Finglas to Navan...

That run consists of a stagecoach and a few men with rifles sitting on top, the women folk safe inside.

I had a parcel travel back in time from last Monday to the previous Thursday.

It arrived eventually, but it's still showing up as just checked in on a day before it was even dispatched from the vendor.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Actually looks like a clone of the old PC game Scourge, later seen as DEATH TAANK!
    Just replacing tanks and shells with a golfer and his balls.
    I could be wrong, its just what it reminds me of when I see it.

I was always more of a scorched earth guy .
    Death Tank ZWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEIII on the saturn was aces though.

DinoRex wrote: »
    I had a parcel travel back in time from last Monday to the previous Thursday.

It arrived eventually, but it's still showing up as just checked in on a day before it was even dispatched from the vendor.

The dangers of sending spare parts for the TARDIS in the post!

My package clearly exceeded the Bekenstein limit.

DinoRex wrote: »
    My package clearly exceeded the Bekenstein limit.

It had too much information for this dimension?
    Should have used a hypercube jiffybag instead!

I actually had a good experience with PM,II rang to say that it only let me too up by €10 and I was 40c short, so they covered it and my parcel went through.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Another tracked parcel delivered to Parcel Motel Dublin at 11am this morning and signed for and it's not even showing up as checked in on Parcel Motel website at 11pm tonight.
    :(

Think I'll just be skipping them in future.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement