Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arcade and Retro General Chat in Karkariko Village Tavern: Live Ocarina Music

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Steve SI wrote: »
    Another tracked parcel delivered to Parcel Motel Dublin at 11am this morning and signed for and it's not even showing up as checked in on Parcel Motel website at 11pm tonight.
    :(

Think I'll just be skipping them in future.

I'd prefer to pay the exta shipping cost from wherever it is rather than use them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Steve X2

eddhorse wrote: »
    I'd prefer to pay the exta shipping cost from wherever it is rather than use them.

At this stage I'm afraid to get anything expensive sent through them. It's not worth the risk anymore.
    A real pity as it's a good service when it works, but it just doesnt work reliable enough any more :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

They're not that cheap either tbh.

I screwed up a while ago, ordered a load of vintage technical books from a UK site and shipping via PM looked like the cheaper option. Poxy site was a broker of sorts so all the books shipped separately from different book shops and all incurring a PM fee :(

I screwed up a while ago, ordered a load of vintage technical books from a UK site and shipping via PM looked like the cheaper option. Poxy site was a broker of sorts so all the books shipped separately from different book shops and all incurring a PM fee :(

I got stung a few times on that myself. Thinking it was gonna be one big delivery and turns out to be about 5-6 smaller ones.

Anyway, if anyone gets "Underwater Puppies" hardback in their pmotel its mine :)
    PaSXSO.jpg

And hopefully the non checked in package from today turns up tomorrow because thats a pricey one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

I've sent 3 parcels recently via parcel motel in Charlestown shopping centre which is less than 1 minute drive from nightline/PM head office.
    All 3 took between 48 and 72hours to even be collected from the lockers if the notifications are correct.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,890 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The wizardry article on hg101 has a great section about how the series shaped future RPGs and in particular jrpgs.

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/wizardry/wizardry.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

My Akihiko figure (same as the 40c short PM experience) I was actually dreading the box being battered from what I heard from some of ye but luckily it was perfect.
    eddhorse wrote: »
    I was ordering bits for my Halloween costume but when I worked out the PM fees, it would be the same to get it to my house. Luckily even though I asked the UK seller for a cheaper option (it was like £12+, first classed signed) and they said no, when I was invoiced it was almost a third cheaper than what I was quoted, so was lucky I didn't bother.

With the prices gone up, even though I didn't use it that often I think I'll be using it less.
    Steve SI wrote: »
    Anyway, if anyone gets "Underwater Puppies" hardback in their pmotel its mine :)

I definitely don't have it, I don't even like dogs, just look at my room
    dog+theme+bedrooms-outdoor+theme+rooms-kids+rooms.jpg

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

That's hardly PM being expensive though. As you said, your mistake not theirs. :(

I do find their website very slow to update or else post is just that slow to get to them. But they've never let me down yet. Have a parcel in transit now so will get that first thing in the morning. One happy customer here (so far!).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Just back from a trip to London.

Found a mame machine in a pizza place, The setup was horrible though, sticks were like something off a fisher price playset

A pub i went to had Space invaders and star wars trilogy aswell, nice to get a go of that

And managed to get plays of 4 different pinball machines, pretty happy overall!

http://www.videogameslive.com/index.php?s=dates
    April 4, 2015 Dublin, Ireland
    Convention Centre Dublin
    Time: TBA
    Tickets: ON SALE 10/15
    National Irish Youth Orch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Sera wrote: »
    Convention Centre Dublin

Think I'll check this out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,269 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Convention Centre Dublin

Yes!!! I thought they'd never come back. It's been ages since the last time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,890 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

They promised they'd be back in a year! Better late than never I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

So where is "Convention Centre, Dublin"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

So where is "Convention Centre, Dublin"?

Just a little down the quays from the Custom House.

Master of the Universe

The massive landmark convention centre on the quays? Bit hard to miss! :pac:

Master of the Universe

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    They promised they'd be back in a year! Better late than never I suppose.

That was 5 years ago next month :eek:

We were all still using DSes back then :D

I remember they thought I was in cosplay and wanted me to go up on stage. I was just dressed normally... I did half contemplate saying I was dressed as Tex Murphy though.

Just looking at Parcel Motels Facebook page it seems other people are missing parcels and receiving other peoples packages in the last couple days!
    Be warned folks :(

Edit:
    And their twitter account is worse. Good few people wondering where there parcels are :(

DinoRex wrote: »
    I remember they thought I was in cosplay and wanted me to go up on stage. I was just dressed normally... I did half contemplate saying I was dressed as Tex Murphy though.
    It actually happened to me on Broday, tots awks, they wanted me to do like a catwalk thing.

• Advertisement

There was only one guy in actual cosplay and he had a pretty great Miles Edgeworth costume.

I managed to convince them that Blitzkrieg who was just wearing a leather jacket was dressed as Nathan Drake and he almost made it up on stage before they cancelled the costume competition.

Slightly OT but what sites do people use for their embedded pics?
    I've been using picassa for years and its crap but haven't found an easier way.
    have used imagur a but also

imgur.com is the easiest for me... don't need to log in and you can upload an image or grab from elsewhere on the web so you don't get hit with hotlinking.

Also if you stick 'm' or 'l' at the end of the file name (before the .jpg) you can choose medium or large image sizes easily if it's taking up too much space on the forum here.

Did not know that. No more gignormous ipad pics from me from now on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

This shall be my last post on A+R......

As a single man

See you on the other side guys

Did not know that. No more gignormous ipad pics from me from now on.

The 'l' is actually pretty small so it's what I usually use.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Tinypic works well too, gives a handy embed code for forums that's the ideal size for most circumstances.

Master of the Universe

I've been using Photobucket for years. You have to log in, but what I like about that is it creates a history of everything you've ever uploaded. (and if for some bizarre reason you want to go back and delete something you linked to years ago you can)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

On the subject of Video games Live, hoping they've refreshed their lineup a bit. As enjoyable as the last gig was, there were a few dud sections (Advent Rising suite?!) that could easily have been filled by better or more offbeat choices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

I like to use http://wthax.org for image hosting for uploading pics handily enough to embed here.

Jack Wall the composer wrote the music for Advent Rising so he had to give it some air time. Great soundtrack just not memorable because the game was ****e.

I asked Tommy Tellarico after to play some Hitoshi Sakimoto for the next time, he didn't know who he was so fat chance of that! I might send him a twitter message looking for 'Dear/You' from Higurashi :P

Master of the Universe

On the subject of Video games Live, hoping they've refreshed their lineup a bit. As enjoyable as the last gig was, there were a few dud sections (Advent Rising suite?!) that could easily have been filled by better or more offbeat choices.

I think a Cho Aniki, Gal Gun, Senran Kagura or Plubers Don't Wear Ties section would go down a treat.

Wouldn't need the orchestra, just this guy on stage playing sax.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Sparks43 wrote: »

As a single man

So you're making an honest woman of her?

I wonder if they could play the theme from Boulder Dash as you walk down the aisle?
    I might switch the CD for the Repton theme instead!
    Might become "your song" as a couple!
    How awesome would that be?!

Sparks43 wrote: »
    As a single man

I can't wait to see your flowergirl! Hopefully you'll get to a beers and tell all. I hope the weather holds out for ye and have a fantastic day!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Lads, any of he have an NTSC 3DS and an NTSC copy of pokemon X or Y? I need a favour :D

• Advertisement

Have a NTSC 3ds but not picked up the game yet. Waiting for it to be cheap on playasia. That's how I roll!

Have a NTSC 3ds but not picked up the game yet. Waiting for it to be cheap on playasia. That's how I roll!

Damn! So close!

If you can pick it up for €35ish that's probably the best price you'll get it at.

Lads, any of he have an NTSC 3DS and an NTSC copy of pokemon X or Y? I need a favour :D

I could ask in FB for you?

I could ask in FB for you?

Yeah go for it. My friend in Canada got me a code to get a shiny gengar in X or Y but it seems to be region locked. So I need someone to redeem the code and trade me the pokemon!

And ****ing game grumps are playing little Samson meaning it will be another 2 years before that game will be at reasonable prices again.

• Advertisement

And ****ing game grumps are playing little Samson meaning it will be another 2 years before that game will be at reasonable prices again.

Was it ever at a reasonable price? I only know it from the game chasers. And is there a PAL version?

o1s1n wrote: »
    I think a Cho Aniki, Gal Gun, Senran Kagura or Plubers Don't Wear Ties section would go down a treat.

Katamari medley.

That is all.

Well you had a chance of getting it in an auction at quite a high price but at least a reasonable one.The US version is very rare, the european one even more so. Seems the famicom version is expensive as well although I have a feeling it would be half the price in Japan.

Master of the Universe

Holy ****, did anyone see the price of the Videogames Live tickets :eek:

I remember the last time they were about 25-30 or so, this time it's an absolutely rip off. Such a rip off I may give it a miss :(

Tier 1 €155 (€135 for the first 500)

Best Seats for Video Games Live (Seating diagram at checkout)
    Priority access to all events and after parties (Go to the front of the line)
    Priority access to meet and greets (Go to the front of the line)
    Priority access to the CosBall (Go to the front of the line)
    Two Video Games Live Downloads (Even after the first 500)

Tier 2 €125 (€105 for the first 500)
    Best Seats for Video Games Live (Seating diagram at checkout)
    Priority access to "After Parties" (Go to the front of the line)
    General admission to all other events
    General admission to "Meet and Greets"
    General admission to the "CosBall"
    Two Video Games Live Downloads (Even after the first 500)
    Tier 3 €105 (€85 for the first 500)

General Admission, House Seats for Video Games Live (Seating diagram at checkout)
    General admission to all events
    Two Video Games Live Downloads (For the first 500)

Tier 4 €85 (€65 for the first 500)
    General Admission, Back of House/ Balcony Seats for Video Games Live (Seating diagram at checkout)
    General admission to all events
    Two Video Games Live Downloads (For the first 500)

Ugh. I do not want to go to meet and greets, I certainly do not want to go to a 'cosball'. I especially don't want to pay sixty five euro at a minimum and end up with crappy seats and extras I do not want.

Yeah, that falls into the 'nothankyou.jpg' category. Just follow the standard ticket release procedure, don't assume everyone's interested in all the convention crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Tomo.Murphy

I guess I won't be going to that so. Are they still doing the Guitar Hero tournament before the show? Because if so, they just lost their winner, ha.

Are they really planning to sell more than 500 of the Tier 1 tickets here?

Master of the Universe

To make it even more obscene, the last time they were here they did signings, there was a cosplay event etc - so it's not like it's new stuff tacked on which means the price needs to go up.

I had seats right at the front in the middle in the National Concert Hall. To get the equivalent of that for this event, you'd need to be buying tickets in the €100+ tier.

Absolutely crazy, I've a feeling lots of people are going to pass this up now.

It's a problem as well because it helps reinforce the perception of games as a niche subculture, too. A sensibly priced gig in the National Concert Hall is inviting and a vote of confidence that the music should be taken more seriously (albeit with a lot of fun along the way). Much easier for people to take a gamble and see what its like, or for those not interested in all the extraneous stuff surrounding it. Sadly, the new one is restrictively expensive and culturally specific for most, aimed squarely at the converted, almost stereotypical gaming 'fan' (heck, I'm sure even that specific demographic would find that a big financial ask!). Everyone else has to pay a premium for stuff they're not interested in - it's a problem when people who would happily have gone otherwise are turning their nose up, let alone more casually curious potential customers. It's the kind of introversion we need to move away from.

Hopefully they'll see sense and release solo tickets. Although they're clearly trying to give a boost to the weekend convention that surrounds it, they've approached it from the wrong angle IMO.

I certainly do not want to go to a 'cosball'

don't assume everyone's interested in all the convention crap.
    I like conventions but wouldn't go to the cosball at VGA.
    I was hoping it would be like Distant Worlds where people cosplayed but wore kinda suitable stuff, like from the dance scene in FF8 or Turks in suits, but then again that's the UK, different conscene.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

From a quick look at the event details, this time it looks like a completely different fish than last time no?

Still expensive and I wouldn't be too bothered going again, but might float some boats
    o1s1n wrote: »
    Holy ****, did anyone see the price of the Videogames Live tickets :eek:

I remember the last time they were about 25-30 or so, this time it's an absolutely rip off. Such a rip off I may give it a miss :(

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement