Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arcade and Retro General Chat in Karkariko Village Tavern: Live Ocarina Music

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Afaik the balls at Irish cons weren't popular, I dunno was it the idea or the dress code.
    Raves did a better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,269 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    From a quick look at the event details, this time it looks like a completely different fish than last time no?

Still expensive and I wouldn't be too bothered going again, but might float some boats

Maybe they will go ahead and release 'show only' tickets then? Fingers crossed, I'd say about 90% of people who would go are only interested in that part alone.

At the moment that's 5 tickets in a group of folks I was going to get to head along which won't be bought.

Master of the Universe

By the way, if anyone here is interested in film props, possibly the best prop auction I've ever seen is happening this weekend.

Some of the stuff being sold is incredible.

Obviously it's all insanely expensive but worth having a look.

http://propstore.auctionserver.net/view-auctions/catalog/id/10/?page=1

Marty's hoverboard, HIS HOVERBOARD!

http://propstore.auctionserver.net/view-auctions/catalog/id/10/lot/1267/?url=%2Fview-auctions%2Fcatalog%2Fid%2F10%2F%3Fpage%3D1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

I'm really disappointed. I missed VGL last time so I've been checking their website over and over for almost two years waiting for them to come back, but there isn't a chance I can afford to go with those prices. I'm not interested in the convention, I just want to go to the concert.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

o1s1n wrote: »

Ah I think I'll just wait until they're publicly available next year.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Maybe they will go ahead and release 'show only' tickets then? Fingers crossed, I'd say about 90% of people who would go are only interested in that part alone.

At the moment that's 5 tickets in a group of folks I was going to get to head along which won't be bought.

Agreed and as JU mentioned, if they just sold tickets to the concert part (at a respectible rate) then fine. Don't try and force folks to pay for something they don't want or maybe can't attend parts of it anyway.

Btw, folks didn't dress up in costumes the last time it was here did they?

Master of the Universe

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Btw, folks didn't dress up in costumes the last time it was here did they?

Yep. A small enough number, but there was a cosplay competition if I remember correctly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

Well like I said earlier only 1 guy was dressed as Miles Edgeworth on the evening I went. They were desperately trying to find others.

• Advertisement

Anyone else love this? it's like Adventure Island at the start and turns into a side scrolling shooter towards the end (3.30 in)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Anyone else back the Amiga book over on Kickstarter?
    With the stretch goals it looks like its going to be a good one :)

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2146199819/commodore-amiga-a-visual-commpendium

038ba5644d4853c3d90d1e02acdf36d7_large.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Steve SI wrote: »
    Anyone else back the Amiga book over on Kickstarter?
    With the stretch goals it looks like its going to be a good one :)

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2146199819/commodore-amiga-a-visual-commpendium

038ba5644d4853c3d90d1e02acdf36d7_large.jpg

Yep got it, go well with my c64 book.

Two more things:
    CRT's scare the ****e out of me, there I said it.

VGL, I got the €85 tickets, no seat numbers on the tickets so could get worse if you don't get there on time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,890 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Nanako is a bit older than I expectd.

Master of the Universe

eddhorse wrote: »
    I got the €85 tickets, no seat numbers on the tickets so could get worse if you don't get there on time.

Or you could do the opposite if you got cheaper ones? :D

Master of the Universe

Those An Post gaming stamps are up for sale if anyone fancies picking some up.

Grabbing a sheetlet and first day cover myself.

http://www.irishstamps.ie/shop/c-190-game-icons.aspx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Have to buy a heap of stamps to send out wedding thank you cards, these would be perfect for annoying the missus :)

Hope they've printed enough of those stamps. They just made the front page of reddit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

JAYSUS! These rumbles of thunder are lasting for ages, over here.

http://www.blitzortung.org/Webpages/index.php?lang=en&page_0=12

Oh, and look, I see a rainbow to cap it all off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Kenjataimu

DinoRex wrote: »
    Hope they've printed enough of those stamps. They just made the front page of reddit.

I was about to post this.

Looks like a few are gonna get them as An Post sell them internationally.

I was just posting it lol but I can't see new pages sometimes on my phone

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

They're just too stereotypical for my liking.
    Mario & Sonic? It must have taken them forever to decide to use those two out of all the gaming characters out there.

Are they doing this because we get so much in the post we're keeping them going and it's a tribute to us?
    That is what I'm gonna believe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

Mario & Sonic? It must have taken them forever to decide to use those two out of all the gaming characters out there.

I know, I would have much preferred Halo, Fifa and Call of Duty on them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Kenjataimu

The person who designed them posted on reddit that their hands were tied by the images they were sent from the companies . And an post are very picky about their stamps as well.

Or something like that, on my phone so I can't find the exact quote

Master of the Universe

Here you go, interesting to hear from the designer;

Comment from /u/roomiccube on /r/Ireland:
    I actually designed these, I can understand what you are saying, but this is one of those situations where all imagery is supplied by the gaming company. Then as far as the type and stuff goes, tried to do something interesting, but too many cooks means it ended up as is... Edit: It's a pity in that regard too cause I ****ing love games, but hey at least we got some gaming stamps right?!

Here you go, interesting to hear from the designer;

Comment from /u/roomiccube on /r/Ireland:
    I actually designed these, I can understand what you are saying, but this is one of those situations where all imagery is supplied by the gaming company. Then as far as the type and stuff goes, tried to do something interesting, but too many cooks means it ended up as is... Edit: It's a pity in that regard too cause I ****ing love games, but hey at least we got some gaming stamps right?!

What are folks complaining about with them? They look crap or they don't have some obscure character that only die hard fans would recognise??

Master of the Universe

Most people are going 'wtf?! amazing!' but the odd person reckons the designs are boring.

I think they're great tbh and am glad a designer didn't try to tart up what are already classic designs.

Most people are going 'wtf?! amazing!' but the odd person reckons the designs are boring.

I think they're great tbh and am glad a designer didn't try to tart up what are already classic designs.

Some people are never happy. Any chance these are Sony or Microsoft fanboys doing the moaning? I done a Steve and ordered two of each yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Haha i actually know that designer. Hes a nice guy but i wouldnt be a huge fan of his work, but generic and bland for my tastes

Plus i wouldnt call putting a promo image or screenshot on a stamp the work of an award winning design firm, seems so lazy to me, but then again i am a snob

Stiff though better than a stamp of a shamrock or something

Master of the Universe

Haha i actually know that designer. Hes a nice guy but i wouldnt be a huge fan of his work, but generic and bland for my tastes

Plus i wouldnt call putting a promo image or screenshot on a stamp the work of an award winning design firm, seems so lazy to me, but then again i am a snob

Stiff though better than a stamp of a shamrock or something

I think the understated design in this case really works because the images are just so iconic.

I'm delighted to see the original artwork take pride of place on some of our country's stamps. A designer could probably have come up with something more embellished, but I'm glad they didn't! :)

• Advertisement

I was the one complaining about the lack of Dizzy.

DinoRex wrote: »
    I was the one complaining about the lack of Dizzy.

Folks would be wondering why Humpty Dumpty was on a stamp if they did that. :)

Btw, did you pick up Grimrock 2? Got it at lunchtime from Gog so looking forward to giving it a bash over the weekend.

Folks would be wondering why Humpty Dumpty was on a stamp if they did that. :)

Btw, did you pick up Grimrock 2? Got it at lunchtime from Gog so looking forward to giving it a bash over the weekend.

Yep. I had it pre-ordered. Haven't a clue when I'll get the chance to play it though.

Got Evil Within yesterday and I'll probably be spending a great many hours trying to do the Vault of Glass in Destiny over the weekend too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Monkeykube wrote: »
    I know, I would have much preferred Halo, Fifa and Call of Duty on them.

Get Out!

(+1 on the Halo one but don't tell anyone....)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

I made the decision yesterday and I'm either atticing or selling off most of the collection.
    I'm just too busy ,havent played in ages and to be honest I'm just not getting the spark from collecting anymore
    Going to stick some of the stuff I dont want to keep up on the marketplace in the next few days(philips videopac , the spare arcade cab, spare megadrives , spare sms , cdi!(ha!) and a few other bits and bobs )and then adverts.ie afterwards.
    keeping a modded meg+powerbase converter , Snes +super 8 and ps2 stuff in the man cave though )
    A sad day , but feck it time to move on. (although the little jrg I knocked together in AceVx(Rpgmaker thingie) is almost ready to stick up for download)
    (not from A and R though , I'll be stuck here forever!)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Wow, another one seeking off swathes of their collection, well I hope the bulk of it goes to go on this forum, keeping it in the family so to speak.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

thats the plan ..either kept for my actual family (my daughters bagsied an SMS and the little fella likes messing with a GB colour) .or the happy AndR'family'
    ..the pile so far:
    325601.jpg

Clipdizzy.gif

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

What's this 'GamerGate' malarchy? From my admittedly scant reading about it, it seems more about misogynists than gamers? Surprised there's no thread about it in the main Games forum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Tomo.Murphy

From what I gathered it's what Pat and Ian were talking about a while back on the Completely Unnecessary Podcast. A game designer broke up with her boyfriend who was a gaming journalist (I think he was with Kotaku, but I could be wrong). If I remember rightly he said she cheated on him and threatened to release nudes/personal information. She got abuse, death threats and threats of rape from random people on the internet then had to leave her home because of them. Two other women received similar threats, can't remember the reasoning behind them though. (That's all from memory, which doesn't serve me too well at the best of times, so some details could be wrong).

Once again though, news reports tarring all gamers with the same brush, making everyone look bad because of one small, idiotic and vocal cesspool on the internet

Master of the Universe

Myrddin wrote: »
    What's this 'GamerGate' malarchy? From my admittedly scant reading about it, it seems more about misogynists than gamers? Surprised there's no thread about it in the main Games forum

There is, here you go. Avoid it at all costs though. It's one of those things that makes me feel like I'm too old for the internet.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057275454

From what I gathered it's what Pat and Ian were talking about a while back on the Completely Unnecessary Podcast. A game designer broke up with her boyfriend who was a gaming journalist (I think he was with Kotaku, but I could be wrong). If I remember rightly he said she cheated on him and threatened to release nudes/personal information. She got abuse, death threats and threats of rape from random people on the internet then had to leave her home because of them. Two other women received similar threats, can't remember the reasoning behind them though. (That's all from memory, which doesn't serve me too well at the best of times, so some details could be wrong).

Once again though, news reports tarring all gamers with the same brush, making everyone look bad because of one small, idiotic and vocal cesspool on the internet
    There is, here you go. Avoid it at all costs though. It's one of those things that makes me feel like I'm too old for the internet.

Oh it's that whole thing. I thought it was this cancellation of a public speaking event about gender inequality in games because some lunatic threatened to write a manifesto in someones blood. I don't read thread at all o1s1n, really couldn't be arsed & it's the kind of stuff that surrounds gaming that I've zero interest in...there's sooo much hate out there

Still can't believe the thread is still running. I'd stay away from it Myrddin if I were you. The whole saga is embarassing, as it is seeing folk bicker about it on boards, hence why I mostly stay away. One of the worst things about the internet is that it gives the ignorant a worldwide voice. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Tomo.Murphy

Myrddin wrote: »
    Oh it's that whole thing. I thought it was this cancellation of a public speaking event about gender inequality in games because some lunatic threatened to write a manifesto in someones blood. I don't read thread at all o1s1n, really couldn't be arsed & it's the kind of stuff that surrounds gaming that I've zero interest in...there's sooo much hate out there

I read about that in an IGN article that was written about this whole "gamergate" thing. That was the first I heard about it though.

I'd put money on it that the violent video game arguments start to rear their ugly head once again after this...

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Still can't believe the thread is still running. I'd stay away from it Myrddin if I were you. The whole saga is embarassing, as it is seeing folk bicker about it on boards, hence why I mostly stay away. One of the worst things about the internet is that it gives the ignorant a worldwide voice. :(

Not only does it just give the ignorant a worldwide voice, it also allows them to think they've achieved some sort of 'internet celebrity' and an inflated sense of self importance.

On a side note, people who puts the word 'gate' on the end of something they perceive to be a scandal need to be rounded up and herded off a cliff.

On a side note, people who puts the word 'gate' on the end of something they perceive to be a scandal need to be rounded up and herded off a cliff.

Does my head in too, bloody tabloid language everywhere you go these days

Master of the Universe

Just came across this;

http://www.historyofgamergate.com/

:rolleyes:

People can try to stay neutral, as I had tried to stay neutral. But as the influences scar the landscape, it is beginning to seem neutrality is less and less possible. Gaming has been scarred, and these are scars that are not going to be forgotten any time soon.

You'd swear they were talking about the conflict in Ukraine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

http://mynintendonews.com/2014/10/19/rejecting-the-wii-u-end-user-license-agreement-locks-the-system/

Seems if you do not accept wiiu user agreement you be locked out of the system and cant even play games.

http://mynintendonews.com/2014/10/19/rejecting-the-wii-u-end-user-license-agreement-locks-the-system/

Seems if you do not accept wiiu user agreement you be locked out of the system and cant even play games.

I was reading about that earlier today, wtf is all I can say if this is the case. If you don't want an update you should still be able to retain all offline functionality of the console and the ability to play software you have bought up to that point. This could possibly the biggest fup up yet by Nintendo, even worse than the dlc linked to the console and not by account shambles that they currently operate.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement