Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arcade and Retro General Chat in Karkariko Village Tavern: Live Ocarina Music

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Does that mean that everytime a member of humanity says "I'm going to sleep" Atavan gets paid?
    Wow, won't Sony and MS be gutted they didn't think of that!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Yes, you now owe me $500m.

In other news I was looking at the GTA 5 multiplayer trailer and by god am I impressed. Looking like a day 1 purchase for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 108 ✭✭coats

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

coats wrote: »

Typical Daily Mail,
    Selective reporting once again!
    Never mentions the bus load of school children that burned to death as a result of being hit by the Blue Shell the kid fired off when pulling in to the kerb...
    Videogames + Kids = Death, Death by Fire!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,265 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Any Toaplan shmup fans?

1cc shirts have a really nice green Toaplan logo shirt. Like Teefury, limited run, never reprinted etc. Only a couple more days left. Just picked one up - I think it's going to become my new St. Patrick's day shirt of choice. :D

http://1cc.storenvy.com/products/2019525-toaplan-forever-shirt-of-the-month-3-august

6nBM33E.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

SWEET ZOMBIE ZEUS AT THE RESTAURANT THEY GO TO! I WANT TO GO THERE!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

Am I the only guy in the world who likes 18 Wheeler: American Pro Trucker? I know it's sh1te, but still...

Master of the Universe

Have seen it many times running on Naomis in arcades over the years but never felt compelled to play :pac:

I actually thought it was quite fun in arcades. Always threw a few coins at it in bray.

I always thought it was a blast. Dumb as hell, don't get me wrong, but good craic nontheless. It offers nothing in the way of depth, but it's a fun way to spend a few minutes.

• Advertisement

I think I had it on the DC, quite enjoyable but as shallow as a puddle.
    Is Big Mutha Truckers similar?
    You'd imagine it might make a good Outrun 2 type reboot.

I've never gotten around to the Big Mutha Truckers titles, but I'd imagine they're quite similar alright. I've had an eye out for them for a while in my usual stops around Galway, but no joy as of yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭MrVestek

They had the full sized 18 Wheeler cab in Atari Expo in the square back in the day. It was always a good laugh and felt kinda authentic with the full sized 18 Wheeler steering wheel.

Ahh... those were the days...

They used to have the big-ass cab in The Whitworth back in Drogheda too. It cost a pound (could have been a Euro at that stage, I'm not sure) a go, which was fairly steep, but it was worth it just because of the sheer size of the machine.

deathrider wrote: »
    I've never gotten around to the Big Mutha Truckers titles, but I'd imagine they're quite similar alright. I've had an eye out for them for a while in my usual stops around Galway, but no joy as of yet.
    Great. Now you made me want to go to Galway all over again for the arcade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Great. Now you made me want to go to Galway all over again for the arcade.

When I said my usual stops, I meant places where I usually hunt for video games (PS2 discs are quite common), not arcades. Unfortunately there are no arcades around these parts any more. They were all long gone before I moved here, apparently. The closest we get now is Seapoint which has about three machines buried somewhere in the middle of tons of gamling machines. It does have an adorable Doodle Jump cab though.

deathrider wrote: »
    When I said my usual stops, I meant places where I usually hunt for video games (PS2 discs are quite common), not arcades. Unfortunately there are no arcades around these parts any more. They were all long gone before I moved here, apparently. The closest we get now is Seapoint which has about three machines buried somewhere in the middle of tons of gamling machines. It does have an adorable Doodle Jump cab though.
    Wait, you serious? Come on. I just want to have a go at those Fist of the North Star and Star Wars Arcade games again. What a depressing time to be an arcade gamer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

• Advertisement

Wait, you serious? Come on. I just want to have a go at those Fist of the North Star and Star Wars Arcade games again. What a depressing time to be an arcade gamer.

Apparently it was a gem of a place back in it's day. Never had the pleasure myself though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,887 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Wii U users not missing much. It's a metroidvania that out dulls Shadow Complex. While shadow complex was still a lot of fun Mirror of Fate was yawn inducing.

Master of the Universe

Nintendo's angel of death speaks again :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,887 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Going to pull a richymcdermot here.

I think Mega Man Legends 2 is a far, far superior game to Ocarina of Time.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Wii U users not missing much. It's a metroidvania that out dulls Shadow Complex. While shadow complex was still a lot of fun Mirror of Fate was yawn inducing.
    THAT'S IT! I'm coining the term "open scrolling adventure", seeing how stupid the term "Metroidvania" is.

What i have done to deserve this ?

oh that's i have spoken ill of your beloved but i do not deserve this treatment :mad:

edit: would like also to throw in alex the kidd in miracle world is better than super mario bros

btw i don't like

Mario
    Mario kart
    Donkey Kong
    Zelda skyward sword
    Metroid other m
    think super metriod is overrated (though is good)

:pac:

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

think super metriod is overrated (though is good)

:pac:

You are quite clearly insane!!! :D

I am the biggest Megadrive fan going and will freely admit that Super Metroid is as good if not better than any game on the console.

o1s1n wrote: »
    You are quite clearly insane!!! :D

I am the biggest Megadrive fan going and will freely admit that Super Metroid is as good if not better than any game on the console.

that is admirable of you and i respect your comment but i can clearly say without hesitation that phantasy star , streets or rage , sonic , gunstar heroes ,golden axe are better games

As a Sega fan... what? You're comparing Sonic to Super Metroid?

I don't even...

o1s1n has said no game on megadrive is better than super metroid. i am merely naming games i think are better

sonic is one of them:D

Master of the Universe

,golden axe

Don't make me have to go back to the insane comment :D

All of them are great games, some of my favourites - but Super Metroid is just one of those games that is 100% perfect. It's untouchable. Well I think so anyway.

Phantasy Star IV comes close though...shame it didn't get more recognition.

Achilles wrote: »
    As a Sega fan... what? You're comparing Sonic to Super Metroid?

I don't even...

Not so much comparing the Metroid games to the Sonic games and saying they're better...just saying that the one particular game 'Super Metroid' is better than anything on the Megadrive. Well, maybe. I'm splitting hairs really and doing the usual apples and oranges dance.

Just trying to reiterate just how insanely good a game it is.

• Advertisement

o1s1n wrote: »
    Don't make me have to go back to the insane comment :D

All of them are great games, some of my favourites - but Super Metroid is just one of those games that is 100% perfect. It's untouchable. Well I think so anyway.

Phantasy Star IV comes close though...shame it didn't get more recognition.

cause of the u.s was to busy playing ****ty final fantasy

Master of the Universe

cause of the u.s was to busy playing ****ty final fantasy

If I could go back in time and hand 10 year old o1s1n a game to play on his Megadrive, PS IV would be the one :)

I'm sure once he played FF VII a few years later he'd be screaming 'rip off!' and wouldn't have enjoyed it nearly as much :D

Just to note, it's quite a strange thing talking about your past self in the third person.

wish i owned a sega saturn to play burning rangers :(

wish i owned a sega saturn to play burning rangers :(

It's aged pretty badly unfortunately.

that is admirable of you and i respect your comment but i can clearly say without hesitation that phantasy star , streets of rage , sonic , gunstar heroes, golden axe are better games

143553.gif

Just finished Ace Combat: Assault Horizon. I had an absolute blast with this game. I love Ace Combat!

I haven't played one of those through since Ace Combat 2, on the PS, the third one looked amazing but the sci-fi overtones just ruined it.
    The first one kicked ass on hard, any lower and the game was too easy, the levels too empty.
    The PS2 games still look great tbh, and I still find the series a lot more fun than those glob-awful Blazing Skies games.
    Sky Odyssey is probably the best flight game on the PS2, if not of that generation, brilliant fun, instead of just pointing a targeting rectical at couple of pixels on the screen and firing missiles at it

Master of the Universe

Only one I ever played was Air Combat on the PS1. Platinum edition :D loved it.

Assault Horizon looks like good fun, think I'll pick it up.

I used to love Air Combat back in the day, and bought it again there just before xmas. Kinda sent me on a tagent of Ace Combat titles then, so I've gathered up and played though most of the PS2 ones in the last few months. They're all great games. Each one is just more of the same to the last one.

Assault Horizion does some fun new stuff though. Activating the close combat mechanic while chasing down a plane is a great idea. Damn fine games!

I had a Game minion once try and convince me to buy one of the just launched HAWX games.... twat.... glad they went out of business....

And no Gamestop, I do not want to buy insurance on my games, ever!
    Should get a t-shirt for when I go in to buy something, and when the minion asks me the same, tired question I can just point at the shirt... assuming the minion is smart enough to read, no a pre-requisite for employment..... sorry, had to get that off my chest!

• Advertisement

Having worked in game some years ago its something that's drilled into you from day 1 and unfortunately is part of KPI's etc. We have a reward card where I work and it's pushed on us every morning to open the most cards and ask every customer. I'll always ask customers but never force them to take one as I hate that in shops myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I had a Game minion once try and convince me to buy one of the just launched HAWX games.... twat.... glad they went out of business....

And no Gamestop, I do not want to buy insurance on my games, ever!
    Should get a t-shirt for when I go in to buy something, and when the minion asks me the same, tired question I can just point at the shirt... assuming the minion is smart enough to read, no a pre-requisite for employment..... sorry, had to get that off my chest!

Insurance on 3DS carts? Why even ask but don't call them minions, as it can be a bit demeaning. Sure some of them can be totally idiots, for example I asked a customer service representative in a gamestop if they had any other Castlevania games apart from the one I was buying for the DS and he told me that it was the only one released for the DS, never even checked. Having said that a lot of them, in those type of jobs, can be totally sound and very helpful and you'd be surprised how often people will just say yes to any question you ask them at the till.
    I worked in an Xtravision and use to get loads of people to take me up on the various offers and more that wouldn't but as long as they responded to me in an anyway at all humane manner, I was happy and so in turn they were happy.
    It's the dicks that don't be nice and be all passive aggressive or 'clever' that made the day go hard and asking someone to read t-shirt in response to a simple question wouldn't be at all nice.
    I do know you were joking Cidonalad but I'm watching you.

So, what you're saying is you're an ex- minion...
    Interesting.... ;)
    Actually, so am I, having worked in Gamesworld before the dark times, before the empire....
    And we were instructed to push whatever the Sony reps asked the manager to push, no matter how dire :(
    Thankfully I'm a manager myself now, just in the HSE, on a ward, not too many Sony/EA reps calling the shots here!
    Though the drug reps might be putting the pressure in the prescribing doctors...

Do you have the number of the hot girl that used to work in Gamesworld? Never has a more beautiful sight stacked the shelves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

So, what you're saying is you're an ex- minion...
    Interesting.... ;)
    Actually, so am I, having worked in Gamesworld before the dark times, before the empire....
    And we were instructed to push whatever the Sony reps asked the manager to push, no matter how dire :(
    Thankfully I'm a manager myself now, just in the HSE, on a ward, not too many Sony/EA reps calling the shots here!
    Though the drug reps might be putting the pressure in the prescribing doctors...

I never pushed crap. Always told people what I thought about the crap they were buying. Most paid no heed.
    Frustrating times trying to genuinely help someone out and getting nothing but disdain and something fervent hostility for your troubles.

Isn't that the main plot point behind Sodenbergh's film with Jude Law.

o1s1n that comment was more aimed at Richy saying that the Sonic games are better than Super Metroid. As a lifelong Sega and Sonic fan I'd have to disagree to be honest.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Do you have the number of the hot girl that used to work in Gamesworld? Never has a more beautiful sight stacked the shelves.

The blonde or brunette?
    Both nice girls and what on earth would you want their number for?
    Why go for hamburger when you've already got steak?

The blonde or brunette?
    Both nice girls and what on earth would you want their number for?
    Why go for hamburger when you've already got steak?

Are you speaking from experience? Did you have a quick romp in the stockroom amidst boxes of PS1s? :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

R6EHneH.jpg

• Advertisement

Are you speaking from experience? Did you have a quick romp in the stockroom amidst boxes of PS1s? :P

Nope, not me.
    I was already attached when I met them.
    Ger and Eva, the blonde and brunette respectively, and dead sound they were too, and well able to deal with the unwashed hordes of game buying males who drooled after them on a daily basis.

But, I'm sure had you been out of nappies in those days you'd have scored, for sure!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement