Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arcade and Retro General Chat in Karkariko Village Tavern: Live Ocarina Music

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

No one drives in Dublin. There's too much traffic.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

DinoRex wrote: »
    No one drives in Dublin. There's too much traffic.

He's talking about 1 hr from Bray to Dun Laoghaire I thought? Fair enough if you live/work/play in Dublin city and never venture outside of it, otherwise - get a car. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,269 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Seriously man, when are you going to learn to drive?? Buses are for kids, students and pensioners. :P

Well we snuck a bottle of Captain Morgans into the cinema last night so I'm kind of glad we took the bus :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

o1s1n wrote: »
    Well we snuck a bottle of Captain Morgans into the cinema last night so I'm kind of glad we took the bus :D

I'm so proud of you <3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Give me my car any day over Dublin Bus.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

I'm so proud of you <3

Tnx hun, luv u 2 XoX
    Myrddin wrote: »

On any other occasion I'd agree, but the cinema in particular we usually bring in a bottle/hip flask of something and pop the lids on a couple of large cokes.

All classy, like :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭MrVestek

I don't drive mainly because I have no need to. My main route into work is covered in Bus lanes and there's usually miles of traffic from Blackrock right into town at those times of the morning.

I'm actually better off time wise on the bus. The train is too much of a walk away to be useful to me.

Beyond that the only other time I'd drive would be to visit the folks in Tallaght. So insurance + the cost of a car + petrol and all that bollocks?

No I'm good on the bus thanks.

I'd never drive a car. It would cut too much into the time I like to spend crying alone on buses.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

I'm sorry I brought this up again, but I have this poll determining which movie is better. Spiderman 2 or Amazing Spiderman 2.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057312866

It's not hard to see which one people think is the better one.

Master of the Universe

I'm sorry I brought this up again, but I have this poll determining which movie is better. Spiderman 2 or Amazing Spiderman 2.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057312866

It's not hard to see which one people think is the better one.

084.gif?4857

• Advertisement

Amazing Spider-man 2 is better than Spider-man 3 though.

Just remembered this stupid puzzle from The Dig and punched a brick wall in frustration.

HVlIE1b.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

MrVestek wrote: »
    Beyond that the only other time I'd drive would be to visit the folks in Tallaght. So insurance + the cost of a car + petrol and all that bollocks?

No I'm good on the bus thanks.
    With the cost of the bus these days I couldn't afford not to have a car.
    €3.50 each way into town for me and I'm only about 7km away.
    Its actually cheaper for me to drive in and pay parking for college in the evenings including fuel than it is to get the bus. and I stay warm and dry:p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Just remembered this stupid puzzle from The Dig and punched a brick wall in frustration.

HVlIE1b.gif

Is the the answer also Amazing Spiderman 2?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Anything is better than Spider-man 3 though.
    FYP

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

I can just picture Johnny_Ultimate rolling his eyes at such behaviour. Actually, maybe not, he has suffered worse in a cinema afterall! :pac:
    Myrddin wrote: »

Amen to that. It's also a good thing some folks around here drive or else beers night attendance would be well down! A car is much more than getting from A to B, it's the freedom to go wherever you want whenever you want. Anyway, games 'n stuff (before Urban get's upset :P).

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Amen to that. It's also a good thing some folks around here drive or else beers night attendance would be well down! A car is much more than getting from A to B, it's the freedom to go wherever you want whenever you want. Anyway, games 'n stuff (before Urban get's upset :P).

Agreed. It is an expense as pointed out, but for me, definitely one worth having. I don't find Dublin Bus particularly efficient, nor do I find them cheap (at all!). I like the freedom, but as well as that, being surrounded on often overcrowded buses by people coughing & spluttering into your personal space, junkies whirring out of them, scrotes smoking weed (and worse) and several other manners of social unpleasantness just makes the car an expense that is a no brainer for me.

I watched 2 films over the past week that I really enjoyed.

Apparently films exist that don't have super heroes in them, did you guys know this?

Anyway... 'Maps to the Stars' and 'In a World' were both very good.

That said... I am looking forward to Birdman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Tomo.Murphy

I walk for the most part now. I usually start off with the intention of getting the bus (you'd think you could get a bus quick enough living on a main road with 4+ major bus routes in each direction), but every time I get to the bus stop there's a 20+ minute wait for a bus. Then there's the fare. If a group of three people were going to town from my road, it would cost the same in a taxi. Fewer buses running than last year, less hours for the drivers, but you'd better believe the fares will increase once again in January.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I watched 2 films over the past week that I really enjoyed.

Apparently films exist that don't have super heroes in them, did you guys know this?

Anyway... 'Maps to the Stars' and 'In a World' were both very good.

Just saw the trailer for Avengers Age of Ultron and it looks amazing.
    Hopefully more like Winter Soldier and less like Iron Man 3

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I consider the daily commute an ideal time to listen to music, read and catch up on whatever portable game I'm playing. I actually really appreciate having an hour on the bus before work to wake up with some sort of cultural consumption.

Not that I don't despise Dublin Bus as an organisation quite often. Especially on Sundays. ****ing quote real time unquote bus information...

cultural consumption

That's actually the last thing I want first thing in the morning :o

I walk for the most part now.
    I do too unless it's raining or I'm carrying something heavy I'd get the bus home.
    Limo is different to Dublin though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,889 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Harvey Birdman?

Sera wrote: »
    I do too unless it's raining or I'm carrying something heavy I'd get the bus home.
    Limo is different to Dublin though.

You'd be better running in Limerick
    309707_112365182276237_1354241462_n-450x500.jpg

You don't know me very well, I wouldn't run to a sale in Penneys
    FV644px.gif
    I was too lazy to go back up the stairs in Heavy Rain when the son asked for the teddy

Anything is better than Amazing Spider-man 2 though.
    FYP
    Fixed again for accuracy. Afterall, I'd rather them make a Peter Parker who acts like this...

than a Parker who makes people feel bad about themselves for no reason other than to showcase that Pete is always right. What an awful character.

• Advertisement

Amazing Mark Webb Spiderman does seem to spend an awful lot of his time in tears.
    For a while it was like watching The Notebook but with added webslingers.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Amazing Mark Webb Spiderman does seem to spend an awful lot of his time in tears.
    For a while it was like watching The Notebook but with added webslingers.
    Ehhh. Wake me up when it actually does resemble a Nicholas Sparks adapted work.

TT1OO7X.jpg

Oh wait...

newposter.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,889 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

People need to stop taking superhero movies seriously. It's bloody pathetic. It's along the lines of people that take mass effect and elder scrolls lore seriously.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    People need to stop taking superhero movies seriously. It's bloody pathetic. It's along the lines of people that take mass effect and elder scrolls lore seriously.
    So says the guy who thrashes Legend of Dragoon at every opportunity.

So says the guy who thrashes Legend of Dragoon at every opportunity.

That's because it's pants

You'd be better pointing out his devotion to games where you shoot girls clothes off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭BGOllie

[...]It's along the lines of people that take mass effect and elder scrolls lore seriously.

weeelll, somebody's not wearing his Amulet of Dibella today ! ^^

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Oh wait...

newposter.jpg

Still didnt watch that but I love how they really played up Gwen Stacys part in the film. Only to have the twist of her dying.....

...oh wait I forgot that happened over 40 years ago in the comics and is basically the only noteworthy thing about the character, I'm pretty sure even my parents knew she would die in this film

Master of the Universe

People need to stop taking superheros movies seriously. It's bloody pathetic. It's along the lines of people that take mass effect and elder scrolls lore seriously.

FYP ;)

I never got it either myself. They're folks dressing up in camp costumes with camp superpowers prancing around the place fighting crime.

How anyone can take that seriously, or would even WANT to take that seriously, I don't know.

And that's why everyone should be less of a Batman/Spiderman fan and more into Night Owl and Rorschach.

Master of the Universe

And that's why everyone should be less of a Batman/Spiderman fan and more into Night Owl and Rorschach.

Imagine, Alan Moore being swamped on the streets by 'fans'. He'd probably flee to a Tibetan monastery and never be heard from again :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭BGOllie

FYP ;)

I never got it either myself. They're folks dressing up in camp costumes with camp superpowers prancing around the place fighting crime.

How anyone can take that seriously, or would even WANT to take that seriously, I don't know.

Except Wolverine. He's awesome, right ? ... and Bender from futurama

• Advertisement

Who is your favourite of the Watchmen Babies?

XcAL4Kf.jpg

Imagine, Alan Moore being swamped on the streets by 'fans'. He'd probably flee to a Tibetan monastery and never be heard from again :D

He'd probably perform some Satanic rites, burn a few black candles and feck off back to his bedsit to write a few more pages of fan fic about Mina Harker bed hopping with Frankenstein, Tom Sawyer and Mycroft Holmes.

Let's not forget his take on Peter Pan:

"Wendy's sexual escapades begin when she meets a homeless teenage boy named Peter and his sister Annabel in Kensington Gardens. Peter follows the three siblings home and teaches them sexual games, and the siblings begin regular meetings with Peter and his group of homeless boys in the park for sex. These encounters are watched by The Captain, a co-worker of Wendy's father, who later hires Peter as a male prostitute and brutally rapes Annabel. He attacks Wendy, who escapes by confronting him with his fear of ageing. She only sees Peter once more, hustling in a train station. She marries the much older Harold Potter because she is not attracted to him, and would not have to think about enjoying sex ever again."

One can assume that Great Ormonde St hospital didn't get much in the way of royalties from that edition of the story.
    Also safe to assume that it won't be an attraction at any of the Disneyland parks any time soon either.... maybe in a dingy alley behind the park instead

I cant link it because im in work but has everyone seen the Saturday morning watchmen?

Forget the superheroes let's concentrate on moe!

b18.gif

MoeWar.jpg

That's because it's pants

You'd be better pointing out his devotion to games where you shoot girls clothes off
    Oh right...

Retro, your obsession with Gal Gun is bordering on...wait, it was always creepy and obsessive. Not to mention that YouTube Poop fodder that was the Zelda CDi games.
    Still didnt watch that but I love how they really played up Gwen Stacys part in the film. Only to have the twist of her dying.....

...oh wait I forgot that happened over 40 years ago in the comics and is basically the only noteworthy thing about the character, I'm pretty sure even my parents knew she would die in this film
    The problem in the movie wasn't so much her death, but the fact that the movie didn't do anything to earn that moment. We're supposed to treat it as some dramatic moment, but what we've seen of the two so far amounts to very little, since in the first movie, Parker just sweeps her off her feet by acting like the cool badass that he should never have been. And in the sequel, all they do is argue and break up. Now if in Sam Raimi's universe if they were to ever do that in another Spiderman, killing off MJ would be a legitimately huge shock, as they would have had 3+ movies prior to build up their relationship (we've seen how long they've known each other, Peter rejecting her initial advances because of his superhero life, Pete's subconscious rejection of his superhero persona because of how it was getting in the way of his personal life, MJ's own problems after getting fired from the Broadway play and Pete's own goofy badass phase almost turning him into the worst kind of person in front of her). But yeah, Gwen just doesn't work in the reboot because we all knew what it was going to lead up to. She just wasn't an interesting character in those movies. Even with her science internship, they just couldn't really do anything with her but have her go snap.
    I think there are fans of Rorschach out there...just the kind who don't see the point of that character.
    I cant link it because im in work but has everyone seen the Saturday morning watchmen?
    Strung together, united forever, they're the best of friends...

Forget the superheroes let's concentrate on moe!

b18.gif

MoeWar.jpg
    Did someone say Moe?

tbkHwZt.gif

Might want to consider making those posts a little more concise, that one nearly broke my phone!

Please keep long pieces on movies in the appropriate forum.

And why would fans of Rorschach not see the point of the character? Surely the fans are the ones that do see the point of the character.
    And, I do like the character Rorschach but I find him reprehensible, same as my opinion on The Comedian, but they are far more interesting than the rich traumatised playboys and technological genius mutants of the traditional comic world.
    Or perhaps I should save that for the Comic forum

My god thats still so good. Legitimately disappointed that its not a real thing

Might want to consider making those posts a little more concise, that one nearly broke my phone!

Please keep long pieces on movies in the appropriate forum.

And why would fans of Rorschach not see the point of the character? Surely the fans are the ones that do see the point of the character.
    And, I do like the character Rorschach but I find him reprehensible, same as my opinion on The Comedian, but they are far more interesting than the rich traumatised playboys and technological genius mutants of the traditional comic world.
    Or perhaps I should save that for the Comic forum
    I just meant that Rorschach's actions might be considered cool by a certain type of person. You know, the one that craves uncompromising libertarian vigilantism.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement