Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arcade and Retro General Chat in Karkariko Village Tavern: Live Ocarina Music

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I just meant that Rorschach's actions might be considered cool by a certain type of person. You know, the one that craves uncompromising libertarian vigilantism.

So a Fox news viewer or member of the tea party?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    So a Fox news viewer or member of the tea party?
    In a way...or a GamerGater.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

2tiI4fDl.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Sera wrote: »
    Forget the superheroes let's concentrate on moe!

b18.gif

MoeWar.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Bayonetta 2 - a game to shame all other games. Eternal gratitude to Nintendo for ensuring it exists and is as great as it is.

while other companies close studios and buildings Nintendo builds buildings and saves games

Thank you current Iwata senpai for Devils third and Bayonetta 2

Now remove your region locking ways , games attach to account than consoles and bring over Fatal Frame and I love you <3

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,889 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Bayonetta 2 - a game to shame all other games. Eternal gratitude to Nintendo for ensuring it exists and is as great as it is.

I'm playing the first one since I never finished it. I forgot how good it is. When there's so much bull**** at the moment with people looking for games to be accepted, leading to **** like gamergate, and so much emphasis at trying to inject games with some kind of meaning and significance and mostly failing, it's refreshing to play a game that doesn't forget it's a game and just concentrates on being a tonne of ridiculous fun. In a way it reminds me of stuff like Contra 3 and Rocket Knight Adventures, games that you could tell the designers were just having a blast creating and not caring if a set piece made no sense as long as it was fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Is the Sonic Collection for the DS any use? Seems to have all the Sonic games worth having on one cart...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Apparently not, poor emulation of the games according to accounts.
    Better to go the R4 route and play via emu

• Advertisement

Apparently not, poor emulation of the games according to accounts.
    Better to go the R4 route and play via emu

Ugh, thought as much :( What a wasted opportunity

Given how superb Sonic Jam on the Saturn is its a wonder they couldn't do a similar perfect job of the DS but there you go.
    The system that can run a game like New Super Mario Bros falters trying to play Sonic the Hedgehog.
    I'm sure, somewhere, Richie is delighted!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Yeah, it's not very good

84VCs.gif

We're livestreaming here:

http://www.twitch.tv/brianvondoom/

Just finished a mammoth session of Escape from Bug Island and now going to try and make Sera play Project Zero 2.

I tried to play P.T. today, in the middle of the day, with sun coming in the window.
    And I couldn't do it.
    Scary fupping game that.
    I'll stick to Tinkerbell on the 3DS.

I tried to play P.T. today, in the middle of the day, with sun coming in the window.
    And I couldn't do it.
    Scary fupping game that.
    I'll stick to Tinkerbell on the 3DS.

Something else isn't it :o

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I have to be honest, I've never understood how people can't finish every games (or films). They are only games, after all. I'm not saying that in a 'you're all wusses if you can't finish it' sort of way (but you are :pac:) but I really can't understand how people get legitimately terrified by games. PT is creepy and effective for sure, but not 'turn it off before pants are soiled' scary.

VC_thumb.jpg

So....this is happening

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

I have to be honest, I've never understood how people can't finish every games (or films). They are only games, after all. I'm not saying that in a 'you're all wusses if you can't finish it' sort of way (but you are :pac:) but I really can't understand how people get legitimately terrified by games. PT is creepy and effective for sure, but not 'turn it off before pants are soiled' scary.

Presume you mean scary? I wouldn't be the biggest fan of them but it's not about being terrified for me - I just don't like the jump type of scares in films or games. The sudden fright kind - not good for heart! I'm a big fan of the Alien franchise but Isolation doesn't interest me at all for this reason. Same goes for PT.

I thought PT was very effective at building psychological tension in the player, & while effective at the jump scares too...for me the best part is the atmosphere & sense of foreboding it creates. The constant loop, the knowledge that each loop brings you closer & closer to 'something', the lighting, the sound work...I thought it came together so very well that being a demo, it puts most full games to shame for what can be achieved.

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Presume you mean scary? I wouldn't be the biggest fan of them but it's not about being terrified for me - I just don't like the jump type of scares in films or games. The sudden fright kind - not good for heart! I'm a big fan of the Alien franchise but Isolation doesn't interest me at all for this reason. Same goes for PT.

Yep, scary was intended, phone typo :(

I agree with Myrddin that a few jump scares aside (and there's one that has scared the **** out of several of my friends when I've watched them play it) PT is all about psychologically unnerving content. It is very impressive, as it uses repetition in a super effective way and makes the most out of what seems like a limited setting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,269 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

You're obviously just not immersed properly in the media. Probably just don't understand it :pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

I agree with Myrddin that a few jump scares aside (and there's one that has scared the **** out of several of my friends when I've watched them play it) PT is all about psychologically unnerving content. It is very impressive, as it uses repetition in a super effective way and makes the most out of what seems like a limited setting.

It did look very effective alright and will be interesting to see if they can keep up that cleverness for
    the main Silent Hill game. Also, is that chap from The Walking Dead going to be in the main game I wonder? Would that not be a bit offputting?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,889 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I was quite disappointed in PT. the scares and atmosphere were effect and really well done but it fell at the final hurdle for me. I feel if you are going to do psychological horror you've got to have a pay off at the end and PT's was particularly ham fisted and a big 'is that it?'. Definitely worth playing though and it's more disappointing than bad since what it does up to tat point is great.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Stop everything , THIS is happening:
    http://www.gog.com/forum/general/release_star_wars_tie_fighter_special_edition_28_oct_2014/page2
    TIE fighter and X wing games on GOG later this week.
    Possibility of Alliance and XvT soon too seemingly.
    Take yer Rouge squadron and stick it up yer arse George Lucas ,
    This is what a game with X wings and TIE Fighters is supposed to be like
    326593.png

It seems Disney are really relaxing their anti digital policy at the moment, I know the kingdom hearts games weren't available digitally because of it. At least something good is coming from the Lucas buy out. I saw they released a tonne of games on steam recently including the vastly under appreciated Tron 2.0 which is basically deux ex in the tron universe with non sucky combat

Also everyone needs to follow gamrpeboy world on YouTube:

Master of the Universe

That's an interesting video, but christ does he need to master his audio recordings to remove lip smacks and saliva sounds. Had to turn it off half way through as it was so distracting.

Wow, first time for everything.
    The better half read a book while I played Destiny with a pair of headphones on.
    Mad.
    2 and a half hours of gameplay in, with my first Strike mission complete, all on front of She Who Must Be Obeyed and we're not divorced!
    Result!

Dr Bob wrote: »
    Stop everything , THIS is happening:
    http://www.gog.com/forum/general/release_star_wars_tie_fighter_special_edition_28_oct_2014/page2
    TIE fighter and X wing games on GOG later this week.
    Possibility of Alliance and XvT soon too seemingly.
    Take yer Rouge squadron and stick it up yer arse George Lucas ,
    This is what a game with X wings and TIE Fighters is supposed to be like
    326593.png

I loved X Wing Alliance!
    Love to play it again too.

OHMYGOD,TERMINATOR2ISTHEGREATESTMOVIEOFALLTIME!

Pretty much me back when I was 14.

Master of the Universe

OHMYGOD,TERMINATOR2ISTHEGREATESTMOVIEOFALLTIME!

Pretty much me back when I was 14.

And its still the greatest action film ever made. Miles better than all that superhero muck.

• Advertisement

o1s1n wrote: »
    And its still the greatest action film ever made. Miles better than all that superhero muck.

It's great alright, I got to see it in Savoy 1 back in the day.
    Also, I have to admire the gif retraint shown here this morning.
    Normally one is cursed with gifs and the like on my desktop as a result of the movies mention, so to all those who exercised said restrain I say this,

76312-terminator-thumbs-up-gif-YEfo.gif

Decent sale on playasia today. Alien Isolation is going pretty cheap for anyone interested in it. Seems playasia have done away with their free shipping though, boo-urns.

A tenner for the cheapest shipping option! That actually changes most of the prices from 'wow, that's great value!' (and I was going to pick up Alien Isolation and Persona 4 Ultimax) to 'that is not such good value' :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Decent sale on playasia today. Alien Isolation is going pretty cheap for anyone interested in it. Seems playasia have done away with their free shipping though, boo-urns.
    When I tried to buy TTT2 on mobile I had 4 options of postage and I think the shipping was cheaper on my laptop, basic €8 shipping, could be wrong though.
    I'm surprised by the price

A tenner for the cheapest shipping option! That actually changes most of the prices from 'wow, that's great value!' (and I was going to pick up Alien Isolation and Persona 4 Ultimax) to 'that is not such good value' :(

Yeah it's kind of annoying alright. Even more annoying is that when I get stuff sent to Sligo I keep getting caught for customs which makes it worse since Sauron now has a load to complain with all the packages turning up at her door.

Think I might prefer Terminator 3 to Terminator 2.

1st one is the only one that's any use though.

Really liked the TV series as well.

The constant film talk in here is bad enough, but if we're now descending into saying T3 is better than T2 I think it might just be time to unfollow the thread :(:D

The real reason I dislike Terminator 2: BLOODY SLIDING BLOCK PUZZLE LEVEL!!!

7GSWWHXl.png

So I've asked playasia what the fup is up with the no free shipping since their site still says it's free shipping. Hopefully I'll get a response when they wake up, they do have pretty good customer service.

• Advertisement

DinoRex wrote: »
    The real reason I dislike Terminator 2: BLOODY SLIDING BLOCK PUZZLE LEVEL!!!

In fairness to you, that is a good reason :D

I wonder if my sliding block puzzle dyslexia will entitle me to a free bus pass...

Two other good reasons:

a) These vehicles sections:

4kw8o.png

b) WHAT THE HELL IS A FUTURE OBJECT AND WHY CAN'T I COMPLETE THE LEVEL WITHOUT COLLECTING AN ARBITRARY NUMBER OF THEM

2ij3rer.png

And then there's Red Heat:

Vg4ZG6r.gif

So I've asked playasia what the fup is up with the no free shipping since their site still says it's free shipping. Hopefully I'll get a response when they wake up, they do have pretty good customer service.

Do you know if this affects existing pre orders? I've something pre ordered & paid for...

Myrddin wrote: »
    Do you know if this affects existing pre orders? I've something pre ordered & paid for...

I'm pretty sure it's a blip in their system. I'll let you know what they say tomorrow, their customer service is good it's just they are working when we are in bed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Normally one is cursed with gifs and the like on my desktop as a result of the movies mention, so to all those who exercised said restrain I say this,

http://img.pandawhale.com/76312-terminator-thumbs-up-gif-YEfo.gif

terminator-smile-o.gif

o1s1n wrote: »
    I wouldn't go so far as to say it's better than all superhero movies. I mean, between it and Spiderman 2, it's gonna be a tough fight.

76312-terminator-thumbs-up-gif-YEfo.gif
    You know you've the wrong gif for it. It has to go all the way into the molten metal.

1237977458_thumbsup-terminator.gif

I'd love for the IFI to secure a 70mm print one of these days. Speaking of, did you know that Chris Nolan is making 10 70mm Interstellar prints for theatres equipped for it in the US? Well, IFI...any chance you could secure one for us?
    DinoRex wrote: »
    Think I might prefer Terminator 3 to Terminator 2.
    6rMlSZE.gif

Master of the Universe

I wouldn't go so far as to say it's better than all superhero movies. I mean, between it and Spiderman 2, it's gonna be a tough fight.

Terminator 2 wins and I haven't even seen Spiderman 2 :pac:

Spiderman 2 a tough fight with Terminator 2?

Where's my 'oh you' . jpg

Spiderman 2 a tough fight with Terminator 2?

Where's my 'oh you' . jpg
    Would you be alright if I was to say that it's better than all of the Marvel produced movies so far?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement