Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arcade and Retro General Chat in Karkariko Village Tavern: Live Ocarina Music

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,388 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Jesus you've really let yourself go since they kicked the Sega forum into the bin! :P

Coincidently with all this Sonic talk - I played a few minutes of it at the weekend. Anytime I fire up the MD on the Trini I have to put on Sonic 1 for a few minutes - just to see those colours pop out of the screen. Really do like the artwork in that game. Even though I never played that particular game as a kid, it's like a warm blanket firing up old games on the CRT.

That's an interesting observation as I feel the exact same about that game, but thought it might just be nostalgia on my side as it was such a huge part of my childhood.

Any time I test out a new CRT it's my game of choice. Green Hill Zone is just gorgeous.

Actually if you ever fire up that 240p test suite rom they use Green Hill Zone as the scrolling test. It's really hypnotic to just sit and watch :)
    Myrddin wrote: »
    Give Sonic 1 & 2 a full play through on that modded Nomad of yours some time. And you're spot on re Sonic 4...something is terribly wrong with the controls/physics, it doesn't feel at all like it should do.

I can't understand how someone can go to the effort of developing a game and get something so fundamental wrong. Especially when it's a sequel and you have the original sitting there as an example of how it should play.

Did they not have Sonic fans play test it? Even if they threw a few of us (!) in a room, we could have told them it was wrong in seconds.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,036 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Is it simply laziness? I've wondered this many times...the controls/physics of the classic games just hasn't been replicated at all since

It really is just lazy programming. Yuji Naka used a pretty complex vector based collision system in Sonic 1, tough to programme but it ensures that collision and physics are highly accurate.

There's so many lazy programmers out there though in pretty high ranking programming positions (there's plenty of genius's as well). What I imagine they did was take a readily available 2D physics engine and adapted the source code, something like Box2D. Box2D is an amazing piece of code but it should only really be used for physics titles, something like angry birds (which famously stole the source for Box2D). It's quite inaccurate for anything else and it's why I've coded a vector based system for myself to use, it's just rubbish for 2D games.
    Sera wrote: »
    you mean Sonic Blast?

Yeah, awful auld ****e so it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

I remember in sonic adventure 2 you are knuckles and you have to fight rogue and knock her off off this high platform , she falls and knuckles saves her , but problem with this logic is shes a ****ing bat ! Just fly you fool

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,036 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Is it possible to get at the original source code, from the ROM maybe? Was it written in Assembler or C or something else back then? Would be an interesting exercise (well for a programmer I guess) to try and replicate perfectly the Sonic movement over a few screens, a tiny demo of sorts.

You can't get source code from compiled code. The source code is converted to machine code and converting it back to some sort of higher level language is something that would take about 20 years for someone. It was definitely made in asembly. Very few Megadrive games were made in C and the ones that are have awful framerate problems (for example Sonic Spinball which was a 30 FPS game and quite choppy). I'm pretty sure the source was lost long ago.

However people have figured out a lot of the physics of sonic games just by observing them, if you know code it's not all that hard to figure out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure the source was lost long ago.

Ugh, really? :(

• Advertisement

Ugh, really? :(

This is the same Sega that let an executive destroy the source code to Panzer Dragoon Saga because he had a grudge against the team that made the game from a few years back when he was a team lead. Most old companies that aren't Nintendo didn't look after their source code back then. It would also explain the awful DS conversions as well, no way where they source ports.

Master of the Universe

Well here's some Sonic trivia I haven't read before.

The Sega Chant Took Up One Eighth of Sonic: The Hedgehog’s Data

Sonic the Hedgehog 1 was supposed to have a Sound Test, much like other games in the Sonic series. Unfortunately, it was cut for time. This lead to a large blank space on the cartridge which was then used to put in the iconic SEGA splash screen chant. That one chant took up one eighth of the available space on the cartridge and was bigger than some whole levels!

Sonic’s Skid Noise Comes from Outrun

Not all of Sonic’s sound-effects are his own. His iconic skidding noise was actually first used in Outrun. However, it has since become far more associated with the Sonic franchise, so the question of who owns the noise is debatable.

Sonic has an entry in this video too, regarding music

Sonic appeared in two games before Sonic the Hedgehog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Sonic has an entry in this video too, regarding music

So not even the music was original :( childhood destroyed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

Goes the other way too... It's almost certain that Michael Jackson was involved in Sonic 3 and he reused the Sonic 3 ending in 'Stranger in Moscow'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Sonic appeared in two games before Sonic the Hedgehog.
    The 4 in 1 on GG as the umpire for tennis?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

Lego Prince of Persia:

L3p7V4el.jpg

DinoRex wrote: »
    Lego Prince of Persia:

L3p7V4el.jpg

reddit:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

The Ps3 is now officially retro...........

As Ive finally got one:D

Tokyo jungle here i come:pac:

Sparks43 wrote: »
    The Ps3 is now officially retro...........

As Ive finally got one:D

Tokyo jungle here i come:pac:

http://www.play-asia.com/galgun-paOS-13-49-en-70-4ho6.html

Can someone explain to me how PS3 light gun games work? :confused: Are they any use?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

Dear god no

Id be divorced if i put that on

Can someone explain to me how PS3 light gun games work? :confused: Are they any use?

Wel what you do it you shoot the girls with your love until your power meter is full then pres the triangle button to get a close up of your preferred girl and hit her in her sensitive spot until she grows bored and change to a more sensitive spot. Then finish her of with a climax shot.

I was thinking more along the lines of HotD :D Is the tech any use?

• Advertisement

I was thinking more along the lines of HotD :D Is the tech any use?

It's basically a fancy wiimote so in other words, kind of ****e but it will suffice.

It's basically a fancy wiimote so in other words, kind of ****e but it will suffice.

Ah right, cool. What do I need in order to use light gun games then, a move kit is it?

Yep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,245 ✭✭✭MrVestek

I think one of the older Guncons has it's own TV sensors too just like the Wiimote. That was before the move came out afaik.

Master of the Universe

You all need CRTs :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

o1s1n wrote: »
    You all need CRTs :D

There are none left, you got them all !!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The first Time Crisis release on the PS3 used a Wii mote style gun, with bespoke sensors.
    This only works on one other game, which is the other Time Crisis release on the PS3.
    Apart from that it's the Move controller and a camera that's necessary to play the likes of HotD, which is a pity.
    The one stop shop for light gun titles seems to be the Wii.

Anyone get money back from an automatic subscription for PS+?
    I had it set to not do that automatically but it did any, rang 4 times, twice had faults with system or phones and couldn't do anything. Today they said the 14 day cancellation includes the 2 weeks of the free subscription I had ?
    I'm withered from calling, 30+minutes hold each time, emails just say "oh you need to phone" and generally unhelpful

Sera wrote: »
    Anyone get money back from an automatic subscription for PS+?
    I had it set to not do that automatically but it did any, rang 4 times, twice had faults with system or phones and couldn't do anything. Today they said the 14 day cancellation includes the 2 weeks of the free subscription I had ?
    I'm withered from calling, 30+minutes hold each time, emails just say "oh you need to phone" and generally unhelpful

I'm fairly sure a purchase was made on my account a while back not from my end (I reckon it was a mix up with a trial/game unlock), but Sony weren't all that helpful. From then on, any time I've needed to buy something on PSN I delete my wallet information after the purchase. Pita, but once bitten & all that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

I remember getting excited thinking you could use Guncon 3 on PS2 games, once you're PS3 is backward-compatible, but then the science dawned on me and I felt both disappointed and thick.

One for Andrew & Sparks.....dat rig

I'm fairly sure a purchase was made on my account a while back not from my end (I reckon it was a mix up with a trial/game unlock), but Sony weren't all that helpful. From then on, any time I've needed to buy something on PSN I delete my wallet information after the purchase. Pita, but once bitten & all that
    I've just done that myself with my card info, at least its not just me, I expected a bit more effort tbh not "oh yeah that's kinda strange, I'm sorry ma'am"

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Savage! Nurburgring in a Lotus? Better than Maldonado too. :pac:

Imagine that with the consumer version of the Oculus? :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I have to say, and I know many people play it like that, but the split between the monitors would bug the absolute hell out of me.

Master of the Universe

Corholio wrote: »
    I have to say, and I know many people play it like that, but the split between the monitors would bug the absolute hell out of me.

Its amazing how much your eyes learn to ignore stuff like that. I've uses multiple monitors at home and in work for years and you just don't see the monitor edges when you're engrossed in what you're doing.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Deluxe Virtua Racing set up in the arcades had a three screen set up, never noticed the monitor edges, and these were CRTs we're talking about too!

Imagine that with the consumer version of the Oculus? :eek:

Someone with the new dev unit already has! :eek:
    OMFG i just tried Assetto Corsa tonight with the DK2 support and fixes, new oculus driver and latest nvidia drivers, wow, just wow, i mean you are in the car. I drove around spa for a few hours, played it for so long since the 90's and just experiencing it in VR was such a truely amazing moment, im still shocked.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=92753764&postcount=1498

Master of the Universe

Did you play some of those racing demos when I lent you the DK1 a while back? They were fairly basic and really blew my mind.

I'd say once the consumer version is out, simulation racing games like this are going to be incredible. I might even finally learn to drive :D

Did you play some of those racing demos when I lent you the DK1 a while back? They were fairly basic and really blew my mind.

I'd say once the consumer version is out, simulation racing games like this are going to be incredible. I might even finally learn to drive :D

I did, the tech is really impressive...and that was the DK1! When it gets to retail, & if the resolution is good enough, I can see this being the go-to solution for sim enthusiasts. The immersion is unlike anything a multi monitor setup can offer. I'd prob bite the bullet & buy one too

I was over in my mates house last week and he always has top of the range PC stuff. He has a monitor that cost him quite a bit but basically the resolution is the same as two widescreen monitors side by side. It would alleviate those monitor issues I'd say and would mean you could play Darius properly :)

• Advertisement

I was over in my mates house last week and he always has top of the range PC stuff. He has a monitor that cost him quite a bit but basically the resolution is the same as two widescreen monitors side by side. It would alleviate those monitor issues I'd say and would mean you could play Darius properly :)

Nice, the screen must be huge though is it?

Master of the Universe

I wonder will we eventually see virtual games rooms and virtual arcades?

I can see wives all over the world jumping for joy at the idea :D

I wonder will we eventually see virtual games rooms and virtual arcades?

I can see wives all over the world jumping for joy at the idea :D

It wouldn't be the same though. Can't beat using a real cab. The beauty of the rift is, it's not as if most people have a choice of of tearing around Spa in a Ferrari F430 so it's as close as they'll get :D

Nice, the screen must be huge though is it?

Yep it is but it looks great. Great for doing work on it as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

This
    With something like this
    178049-alienware-s-wrap-around-screen.jpg
    alienware_curvedscreen_ces0.jpg
    Only bigger!

Master of the Universe

It wouldn't be the same though. Can't beat using a real cab. The beauty of the rift is, it's not as if most people have a choice of of tearing around Spa in a Ferrari F430 so it's as close as they'll get :D

Yeah it wouldn't be a replacement, but it sure would add to the emulator effect :)

I think I mentioned before, but I broke one of those demos and my car flew off the level into a white abyss. It was like driving off a cliff.

The car just kept plummeting while I looked back over the driver seat and watched the level get smaller and smaller.

There was something really unsettling about it. I can only imagine what it's going to be like plowing into a wall in a F430 at top speed :eek:

As for it being a hit with the wife, maybe.
    My better half has permitted gaming while she reads and she has expressed shock and revulsion at the violence in the likes of Tomb Raider on the PS4.
    Needless to say that Bayonetta 2 has yet to go on :(

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Yep it is but it looks great. Great for doing work on it as well.

Is it one of those 34" jobbies? Would love one of those. Using dual monitors at the minute, one for coding the other for documents/email etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,245 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Ok so this is neither Arcade nor Retro but Myrri.... mmmmrrr... EnterNow said it's ok to post.

I had an idea for a skit last night based on a stupid joke I made on my Facebook page the other day. I present to you: Riker Makes A Sandwich

Is it one of those 34" jobbies? Would love one of those. Using dual monitors at the minute, one for coding the other for documents/email etc.

I think so. It's pretty much like having dual monitors in one unit.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement