Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arcade and Retro General Chat in Karkariko Village Tavern: Live Ocarina Music

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,887 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Just won't forgive them for that one, will you?

9-11-NEVER-FORGET.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭STG.Otaku

Sera wrote: »
    "celebrating EarthBound and the fans who have kept it alive!" with a book, zine, documentary and album? ╮('_')╭
    maybe check out the Mother 3 one they did before

Looks like a solid product and by a team with a good history. But pay now, hope it ships with no setbacks by March 2016? Not a hope.

The Mother 3 book was lovely though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

STG.Otaku wrote: »
    Looks like a solid product and by a team with a good history. But pay now, hope it ships with no setbacks by March 2016? Not a hope.

The Mother 3 book was lovely though.
    I'll might wait til Christmas time when I'm not ordering online as much. My Tank Girl book should be here soon from a kickstarter I funded at the start of the year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭STG.Otaku

Sera wrote: »
    I'll might wait til Christmas time when I'm not ordering online as much. My Tank Girl book should be here soon from a kickstarter I funded at the start of the year

Tank Girl? Excllent. Whats the Kickstarter link for that? I got the Mega Drive book this week. If the quality is on par with that then it's a no-brainer. Unlike that Japanese Developers book. Savage content. Diabolical design and materials. Shame it's £25 and he ditched the digital version altogether.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,266 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Picked up the Megadrive book today. It's phenomenal!

It's by far the nicest videogames related book I've ever seen.

Will hold off on posting inside pages as I don't want to accidentally spoil it for anyone :D

IMG_20141108_154151528_zps7bb51ca0.jpg

Master of the Universe

Okay here's one picture I have to share as it's just brilliant :D

An unused Gunstar Heroes cover variant. It just absolutely epitomizes the whole Americanization of Japanese artwork. Everything is toughened up, we even have some Terminator style robots!

What's really interesting though is that they didn't go with this artwork and in the end went with somewhere in the middle, a westernized, less 'flat' version of anime characters. But it's the exact same composition as the final version. I wonder which artwork came first?

Makes me wonder what else is in that Sega vault which didn't make the book :eek:

gunstar_zps73e065b4.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

So a big thumbs up for this book then Oisin?

I have yet to get any of these books but I would love the Amiga one but funds are super tight for the next 8 months.

Master of the Universe

I knew it was going to be good but it's still managed to blow away expectations. Definitely pick one up!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I miss Atavan...
    Place isn't the same without him...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

I miss Atavan...
    We need someone to take his place as the drunk mod. I suggest Retro would be up for it?

Master of the Universe

I miss Atavan...

270909744_cd078aad8f.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

I miss Atavan...

I'm still here! There's free wifi in the hotel :)

It's currently 5.20 am on Sunday here. Body clock is all over the shop with the travelling. Had a look in yodobashi camera yesterday as it's only 5 minutes away and forgot to realise how difficult it is to browse games as I can't read the spines :P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Had a look in yodobashi camera yesterday as it's only 5 minutes away and forgot to realise how difficult it is to browse games as I can't read the spines :P

Just so you know you're now going to have the Yodabashi theme tune embedded in your consciousness for all eternity.

See also: 7-Eleven.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

We need someone to take his place as the drunk mod. I suggest Retro would be up for it?

Atavan always seems to get this kind of comment from some posters.
    Reckon their info is out of date tbh

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

This is pretty cool, a short video comparing Majora's Mask 3DS graphics with the original:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

Here is a good idea, £10 in 6-10 on Saturday nights, they seem to have a nice collection of games and pinballs.
    http://www.arcade-club.com/
    Some pics from their facebook page
    2d6jq78.jpg
    2niww0l.jpg
    v4tpgg.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,887 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Those Atari carts that were dug up are on ebay for mindbogglingly stupid money for games that are worth mate 5 euro or less.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&afsrc=1&_ssn=tbhs575&rt=nc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Those Atari carts that were dug up are on ebay for mindbogglingly stupid money for games that are worth mate 5 euro or less.

3cd8a33a.png?1306264975

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,063 ✭✭✭Doge

Well look who rose from the grave after what seems like an eternity....

No, not me silly, Legendary SID composer Matt Gray!

Reformation - Kickstarter link.

Doge wrote: »
    Well look who rose from the grave after what seems like an eternity....

No, not me silly, Legendary SID composer Matt Gray!

Reformation - Kickstarter link.

I see he's already well met his target. Prefer the tunes in their original format tbh. That SID Player android app did the job for me, free aswell. :)

Master of the Universe

They're not selling for the cart value though, there's value in the associated history. I doubt anyone is going to be playing them :D

Some of those prices are indeed stupid, I still kind of want one though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

They put copies of Warlords in that landfill as well? That's criminal!

There's rumors of a Spider-man spin off movie focused on Aunt May. I'm completely on board for that!

Remember that time she married Doc Ock?

kbVS9mY.jpg

DinoRex wrote: »
    There's rumors of a Spider-man spin off movie focused on Aunt May. I'm completely on board for that!

kbVS9mY.jpg
    What? Sony are really stretching for movies for their ambitious plans. Besides, Aunt May feels totally miscast in the new movies (she just comes off as awkward throughout). The only thing she did in the movies so far is just feel guilty about herself for no good reason towards Peter, which in turn, only made Pete come off as an enormous jerk.

• Advertisement

And Doctor Doom is going to be a blogger called Victor Domashev in the new Fantastic Four movie. Get hyped!

Master of the Universe

Dear Lord, what have you done :pac:

Spiderman is quickly becoming another Legend of Dragoon for A&R. :D

Forget posts about old videogames! I want posts about Spider-man!

B88Wi7E.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I'm just disappointed that all the off-topic film posts are about Spider-Man instead of films that actually matter :pac:

And Doctor Doom is going to be a blogger called Victor Domashev in the new Fantastic Four movie. Get hyped!
    Why is it that Fox finally got the X-Men franchise to work after 4 average to bad movies, yet still can't figure out how to make any other superhero movie.
    o1s1n wrote: »
    Dear Lord, what have you done :pac:

Spiderman is quickly becoming another Legend of Dragoon for A&R. :D
    Oh please...it's just for the post Raimi movies.
    I'm just disappointed that all the off-topic film posts are about Spider-Man instead of films that actually matter :pac:
    Hard not to considering how the way Sony has handled it, they have movies on opposite sides of the best and worst comic movies.

• Advertisement

Sure the Raimi films are just disposable nonsense too. A slightly higher class of disposable nonsense in the second film's case, but It's still cinematic junk food.

Sure the Raimi films are just disposable nonsense too. A slightly higher class of disposable nonsense in the second film's case, but It's still cinematic junk food.
    Naaa. Stuff like Avengers is cinematic junk food. The Raimi Spidey movies are just the kind of fast food that comes from a privately owned chain who don't want shareholders to water down the product and tastes all the better for it.

And I guess if we have to talk about other movies...

http://deadline.com/2014/11/strange-magic-disney-lucasfilm-animated-movie-january-2015-release-touchstone-pictures-george-lucas-1201281404/
    We can put the web rumors to rest. There was buzz that this film was going to be Frozen 2, but it’s clearly not. Disney has slotted January 23 for the release of Lucasfilm’s new animated pic Strange Magic. Described as a madcap fairy tale musical inspired by “A Midsummer Night’s Dream”, Strange Magic will be released via Touchstone Pictures. Helped by popular songs from the past six decades, it tells a story of a colorful cast of goblins, elves, fairies and imps, and their hilarious misadventures sparked by the battle over a powerful potion.

All-star voice cast includes Alan Cumming, Evan Rachel Wood, Kristin Chenoweth, Maya Rudolph and Sam Palladio. Gary Rydstrom directs a story by George Lucas. Rydstrom also co-wrote the screenplay with David Berenbaum (Elf),and Irene Mecchi (Brave, The Lion King). Mark S. Miller is producing and Lucas is executive producing. Right now Strange Magic is up against thriller The Boy Next Door, action comedy Mortdecai, Relativity’s Black Or White and Focus Features thriller Black Sea.

Aunt May married Doc Ock?
    kbVS9mY.jpg
    It won't beat Radioactive Man marrying Larva Girl

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,063 ✭✭✭Doge

Andrew76 wrote: »
    I see he's already well met his target. Prefer the tunes in their original format tbh. That SID Player android app did the job for me, free aswell. :)

Yeah i think not even Matt Gray himself can better the original, its just got such a dark filthy and edgy sound!

Master of the Universe

Doge wrote: »
    Yeah i think not even Matt Gray himself can better the original, its just got such a dark filthy and edgy sound!

Where the hell have you been?! :pac:

Guardians of the Galaxy was good though right? Watched it last night and thought it was great fun. Second favourite sci-fi film I've seen this year, after Interstellar of course. :)

Just noticed on Steam (when the piece of crap decides to load properly) that Enslaved: Premium Edition is €5 - got to be worth a punt at that price? Have wanted to play it for a while. Got fairly decent reviews I think?

*Puts on pedantic hat*

Guardians of the galaxy would be space opera fluff and not sci fi. Good day to you too sir.

*Puts on pedantic hat*

Guardians of the galaxy would be space opera fluff and not sci fi. Good day to you too sir.

Sci fi is good enough a term for me. I'll leave the sub-genre lark to the film buffs. :)

I thought Guardians was just another in a long line of pretty uninspiring Marvel fare :( A bit better than average, but James Gunn can and has done better, even in the superhero genre!

As for sci-fi of the year, Snowpiercer and Under the Skin (and arguably Her, depending on how genre pedantic we're being) **** all over Guardians and shame Interstellar :)

Also Enslaved is worth a go. Nothing spectacular, but very well made game with some good ideas (well, until the last ten minutes anyway!)

I thought Guardians was just another in a long line of pretty uninspiring Marvel fare :( A bit better than average, but James Gunn can and has done better, even in the superhero genre!

As for sci-fi of the year, Snowpiercer and Under the Skin (and arguably Her, depending on how genre pedantic we're being) **** all over Guardians and shame Interstellar :)

Was the Scarlett Johansson one set in Scotland or somewhere similar? Man that was awful - just plodded along until the rubbish ending. Her was very good though, I'll give you that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Was the Scarlett Johansson one set in Scotland or somewhere similar? Man that was awful - just plodded along until the rubbish ending. Her was very good though, I'll give you that.

Speaking of her, I watched Lucy during the week. I'll watch almost anything and I wanted the time back after finishing this! DONT WATCH IT!

On the whole Sci Fi thing aswell, went to see interstellar on Sunday. Its above average I think. Could have been better but it isnt bad. Only real disappointment is the soundtrack didnt live up to my expectations at all!

*Puts on pedantic hat*

Yup, like Star Wars it's just a swashbuckler dressed up in scifi clothing.
    Interstellar is an actual scifi movie, as is Edge of Tomorrow.
    We've had a great run of science fiction films of late, Coherence is brilliant.
    To be honest, if you read books in the genre movies tend to be more like short stories, a format that the printed scifi seems to have adopted well, and many great films are based on short stories, particularly Philip K Dick works for example.
    Longer format novels just wind up cutting to much out. Dune was a good attempt at a longer bigger tale, I quite love it, despite its detractors.

Speaking of her, I watched Lucy during the week. I'll watch almost anything and I wanted the time back after finishing this! DONT WATCH IT!

On the whole Sci Fi thing aswell, went to see interstellar on Sunday. Its above average I think. Could have been better but it isnt bad. Only real disappointment is the soundtrack didnt live up to my expectations at all!

I really liked Lucy.
    At first I thought it was going to be more like the Besson produced fluff like The Transporter and the like, directed by Megaton.
    But it got really interesting and I loved where it went.
    It was insane and daft but a real thrill ride.
    Even the ending, once again, it felt like a good short story, maybe Richard Morgan or Michael Marshall Smith.

Lucy was endearingly silly. Fantastically pulpy opening act and zany third. My only problem was that in the middle it just wasn't silly enough - more standard action film / Matrix clone far than the wacky, hyperactive Besson playfulness on either end of it. Not a great film by any stretch, but certainly one of the better 'dumb fun' efforts from Hollywood recently. Certainly I'd take it over only number of middling, production-line Marvel schlock.

On a gaming note, really enjoying Shovel Knight now that it has finally gotten a Wii U release here. It's a retro throwback that doesn't seem blindly indebted to the past and has plenty of welcome modern twists to it alongside its obvious affection for 8 and 16 bit.

And on a further gaming note, I don't think I'll ever be able to look at Princess 'best troll character in Mario Kart' Daisy the same way again after unlocking Bayonetta's Daisy suit :eek:

Lucy was endearingly silly. Fantastically pulpy opening act and zany third. My only problem was that in the middle it just wasn't silly enough - more standard action film / Matrix clone far than the wacky, hyperactive Besson playfulness on either end of it. Not a great film by any stretch, but certainly one of the better 'dumb fun' efforts from Hollywood recently. Certainly I'd take it over only number of middling, production-line Marvel schlock.
    Hollywood? I thought it was strictly a French production.

Hollywood? I thought it was strictly a French production.

You are correct - given its big name cast and Universal's involvement I had assumed incorrectly it was financed in the States albeit with a French director. But nope, French production companies and crew for sure!

Still, refreshingly idiosyncratic multiplex fare - maddest film I've seen in Savoy One outside film festival season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

So anyway

What do we all think of a film version of the greatest game of all time?

Boulder Dash

Personally i think it rocks :-D

Sparks43 wrote: »
    So anyway

What do we all think of a film version of the greatest game of all time?

Boulder Dash

Personally i think it rocks :-D

Yeah, but the adaptation lost a lot of what Repton Boulder Dash was all about
    21044790_20130927160004912.jpg

On a gaming note, really enjoying Shovel Knight now that it has finally gotten a Wii U release here. It's a retro throwback that doesn't seem blindly indebted to the past and has plenty of welcome modern twists to it alongside its obvious affection for 8 and 16 bit.

And on a further gaming note, I don't think I'll ever be able to look at Princess 'best troll character in Mario Kart' Daisy the same way again after unlocking Bayonetta's Daisy suit :eek:

Was debating which Nintendo platform to get Shovel Knight for, think I'll go with the Wii-U and use a proper controller.

I've only tried out the new costumes in the first Bayonetta, not for long mind but they seem to be more than just a new skin - the character specific weapons/abilities change the game play a bit?

• Advertisement

That's some good water, Sonic Boom:

KPwdVaz.gif

It really seems like the developers of Sonic games live in a bubble where they can only play other Sonic games... they seem to learn nothing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement