Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arcade and Retro General Chat in Karkariko Village Tavern: Live Ocarina Music

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,388 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Was debating which Nintendo platform to get Shovel Knight for, think I'll go with the Wii-U and use a proper controller.

Same here. Was all set on picking it up on the 3DS, but now that I've a WiiU I may just go with that instead. Would be nice to play it with a proper controller alright.

Is it out yet? I was really excited to give it a play through due to all the rave reviews, but it's fallen off my radar due to the long time getting it released in the EU. Pretty much just forgot about it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

I caved and just bought the PC version on release. May get the 3DS version at some point. They just dragged their feet on localising it. So we had to wait for it to be translated into Spanish, German and French.

It's really good though. Everyone should play it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,832 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I've only tried out the new costumes in the first Bayonetta, not for long mind but they seem to be more than just a new skin - the character specific weapons/abilities change the game play a bit?

Some do change the game, some don't. The Link and Samus suits definitely mix things up, others I think are just costume changes.

There are a few specific Nintendo abilities and even weapons though - including
    a Chain Chomp and a Wicked Weave that summons Bowser.
    Insane amount of worthwhile unlockables in the game!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

DinoRex wrote: »
    That's some good water, Sonic Boom:

KPwdVaz.gif

It really seems like the developers of Sonic games live in a bubble where they can only play other Sonic games... they seem to learn nothing.
    Speaking of Sonic Boom, uh oh!

http://ie.ign.com/articles/2014/11/11/where-are-igns-sonic-boom-rise-of-lyric-and-shattered-crystal-reviews

No review copies sent? Even Sonic '06 got those, so we better brace for the worse, folks.

Haven't watched the TV show yet... but this plot line sounds amazing!

jg8JUoG.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Is Valkyria Chronicles worth getting?
    I can get it for a tenner.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »

YES!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,036 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Oh god yes. One of the best games on PS3 and arguably the best.

Master of the Universe

Here's the bigger question though, will you ever play it? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Speaking of Sonic Boom, uh oh!

http://ie.ign.com/articles/2014/11/11/where-are-igns-sonic-boom-rise-of-lyric-and-shattered-crystal-reviews

No review copies sent? Even Sonic '06 got those, so we better brace for the worse, folks.

Most of us would have been prepared for that since the game was announced :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

And yet, an announcement of a new Mario game is celebrated with almost universal delight, aside from those stone hearted few who think they are all the same. Expectations are typically lived up to, with title after title only truly suffering by comparison to other members of the franchise, often being better than anything comparative on its rival consoles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Tomo.Murphy

I was in the attic the other day doing some cowboy builder style repairs to the roof and found my old Gamester Race Pac for the PS2/Xbox (don't have an xbox though, so thats lost on me). I'm looking to pick up a few different games for it. I have Gran Turismo 1-4, one or two Colin McRae games and F1 02 (and 18 Wheeler, but I haven't gotten around to trying that with it yet). Any decent PS2 racing games that you guys would recommend that work well with a race wheel/pedals?

Need for Speed Hot Pursuit 2 on the PS2 is outstanding and also definitely pick up Shox from EA.
    The latter was supposed to be a branch of the Big brand, EA's extreme sports effort, but it failed at retail despite being a lot a fun, a pure arcade racer, sort of thing Namco or Sega might have released in the early 90's

Thanks! Never played Hot Pursut when it came out. Last one I can remember buying was Underground on the PSP. Never heard of Shox either, but it looks pretty fun. I'll definitely keep an eye out for them.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

I was in the attic the other day doing some cowboy builder style repairs to the roof and found my old Gamester Race Pac for the PS2/Xbox (don't have an xbox though, so thats lost on me). I'm looking to pick up a few different games for it. I have Gran Turismo 1-4, one or two Colin McRae games and F1 02 (and 18 Wheeler, but I haven't gotten around to trying that with it yet). Any decent PS2 racing games that you guys would recommend that work well with a race wheel/pedals?

If you fancy trying something closer to a sim then Richard Burns Rally is probably the best you can get on PS2.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

Shox was excellent :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭STG.Otaku

If you fancy trying something closer to a sim then Richard Burns Rally is probably the best you can get on PS2.

I forgot he popped his clogs in 2005. Only 34 as well... :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

The very odd time I bother my backside to bring down my Logitech wheel and pedals etc I tend to stick to Gran Turismo 4. It plays superbly in fairness. So tight.

I have since bought 3 or 4 other racing games that I'm goin to try with it at some point like Outrun and Colin McRae Rally for example which I'm hoping will be a bit of craic.

Cant even remember the others I bought at this stage. :o

I really need a games room at this point just to house the amount of stuff I own. Probably not a patch on what a lot of ye have but in a small house it adds up to a lot of clutter with nothing in a proper accessible place. :(

I have Colin McRae 05. It's great fun when you get the hang of it. It plays really differently to the rally stages in the GT games. The faster cars, although fun, feel a little unnecessary though. I've beaten the records on all of the stages I've played in the Mini Cooper.

As for a game room, I wouldn't mind one of those myself. I have consoles set up in three different rooms with stuff like racing seat/light guns, etc being set up and put away as I feel like using them. When I eventually get around to putting a MAME arcade together I'll set up some consoles and the light guns in it to clean up the clutter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

Mario Kart dlc is absolutely amazing

Hyrule circuit Needs tobe played with the sound well up

SNES rainbow road looks beautiful

In other news a package has arrived in dublin from cyprus for me

Some say its the Gateway to lots of entertainment

Others say An Post will bloody lose it

Sparks43 wrote: »
    Mario Kart dlc is absolutely amazing

Hyrule circuit Needs tobe played with the sound well up

SNES rainbow road looks beautiful

In other news a package has arrived in dublin from cyprus for me

Some say its the Gateway to lots of entertainment

Others say An Post will bloody lose it

Feck, I'm stuck in work!
    Won't get to play those new tracks for hours!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,832 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I think the red exclamation point succinctly sums up that 'holy ****, Link is in Mario Kart!!!'

zwkf95.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Looks like my mega drive book is gone missing. Emailed the fella on kickstarter and he made sure it was shipped and it was. Offered to replace it today but I said wait till the end of the week. So annoying, im really going to annoy an post over this!

An post are seriously such a **** service! This the 4th or 5th issue ive had this year with them

Looks like my mega drive book is gone missing. Emailed the fella on kickstarter and he made sure it was shipped and it was. Offered to replace it today but I said wait till the end of the week. So annoying, im really going to annoy an post over this!

An post are seriously such a **** service! This the 4th or 5th issue ive had this year with them

Still waiting on mine too. I just presumed they were posted in batches some before others? Will give it a while before I contact him.

What's the story with Link in the above pic - awfully femine looking?

Master of the Universe

You're not missing anything, its terrible..

I lie! :D

Seriously though that sucks big time. :( especially after waiting this long already. Sure you might as well ask the lad to resend one now. They're only coming from the UK so you should definitely have it at his stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

Parcel Motel are no picnic to use/deal with either!

Holy crap! If you thought that Sonic Boom gif was bad, wait until you see it with sound:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Still waiting on mine too. I just presumed they were posted in batches some before others? Will give it a while before I contact him.

What's the story with Link in the above pic - awfully femine looking?

Leave it till monday id say. Really nice guy, he said

"I've just checked and it was shipped on time – and that seems like an
    awfully long time to get from England to Ireland to me! I suspect it's gone
    missing."

Strange that there's at least 1 more that didnt show up

• Advertisement

Leave it till monday id say. Really nice guy, he said

"I've just checked and it was shipped on time – and that seems like an
    awfully long time to get from England to Ireland to me! I suspect it's gone
    missing."

Strange that there's at least 1 more that didnt show up

So every single one of them were posted at the same time? I decided to use my proper address this time rather than Parcel Motel - typical if it has gone missing in this instance.

Actually, we can't be the only two in Ireland outside of the big-schmoke that ordered it?

Master of the Universe

So every single one of them were posted at the same time? I decided to use my proper address this time rather than Parcel Motel - typical if it has gone missing in this instance.

Actually, we can't be the only two in Ireland outside of the big-schmoke that ordered it?

Still no sign of yours either? feck sake. I'd be more worried for your copy seeing as you're not exactly that far away from myself and I got mine a week ago.

o1s1n wrote: »
    Still no sign of yours either? feck sake. I'd be more worried for your copy seeing as you're not exactly that far away from myself and I got mine a week ago.

Aye still no sign. I just assumed mine wasn't posted first if I was late to the Kickstarter or something. Anyway if it doesn't arrive by next Tues/Wed then I'll fire him off an email. Not in a mad rush for it, just want it before Christmas to have a flick through then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Wait until An Post start using the crappy new post code system :O

This could be cool... damn deal cheap than videogameslive as well:

BD's I just happened to get today.

Watership Down.
    Ben Hur.
    Kung Fu Hustle.
    Be Kind Rewind.
    Clerks.
    The 40 Year Old Virgin.
    The Breakfast Club.
    Transformers: Age of Extinction 3D.
    The Princess Bride.
    Jackie Brown.
    O Brother, Where Art Thou.
    The Wolf of Wall Street.

And to cap it all off, I got Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,036 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Fail purchases. Not enough Freddie got Fingered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

BD's I just happened to get today.

Watership Down.
    O Brother, Where Art Thou?
    2 of my favourites, WD always makes me cry though

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Fail purchases. Not enough Freddie got Fingered.
    This or Legend of Dragoon for ya, Retro. Pick your poison.
    Sera wrote: »
    2 of my favourites, WD always makes me cry though
    And on a related note, what I'd do to have the Plague Dogs get a BD release.

The inclusion of Transformers 4 invalidates the list.

This or Legend of Dragoon for ya, Retro. Pick your poison.

You know what, legend of dragoon. I was made watch Freddie got fingered before. Far and away the worst thing I've ever seen, no hyperbole.

• Advertisement

The inclusion of Transformers 4 invalidates the list.
    That's not how you spell Amazing Spiderman 2. Besides, I think people are a bit too hard on Michael Bay at this point (and I can't help but feel that its Rotten Tomatoes rating reflects that instead of the actual quality of the movie itself). And in regards to the movie itself, I've yet to hear anyone say that it's worse than Revenge of the Fallen, which is just pure awfulness, with this image encapsulating everything that is bad about the movie.

Rotf-devastator-film-balls.jpg

I've yet to hear anyone cry foul to anything like that in Age.
    Retr0gamer wrote: »
    You know what, legend of dragoon. I was made watch Freddie got fingered before. Far and away the worst thing I've ever seen, no hyperbole.
    "B-B-BUT IT'S BAD MOVIE ART! YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND!"

But seriously, WE FOUND IT! WE FOUND THE ONE THING RETRO HATES MORE THAN DRAGOON!

And if you'll turn on your tellies to RTE One, you'll see my cousin on the Late Late Show right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

I found one!

in regards to the movie itself, I've yet to hear anyone say that it's worse than Revenge of the Fallen

Allow me to help you out there,
    Extinction is worse than Revenge of the Fallen.
    I know they are on a sliding scale, a continuum of pants-ness, but Extinction had a better script and no actors to embarrass the Irish people in the audience.
    That said, the presence of LaBeouf almost negates the latter reason but doesn't quite.
    Plus, Fallen had Nimoy and Alan Tudyk, win.

Extinction is probably the best of the live action transformers movies by simple virtue of the fact that I can actually tell the f*cking robots apart from each other.

RIP Oreobot :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

DinoRex wrote: »
    This could be cool... damn deal cheap than videogameslive as well:

Thanks for posting about this here, probably wouldn't have heard about it otherwise.
    just bought tickets :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Thanks for posting about this here, probably wouldn't have heard about it otherwise.
    just bought tickets :)
    Pity its not on a weekend, don't think I've a chance of going. Next time I guess

I found one!

Nice!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

Well this 3ds hacking malarky is not going to plan

Nearly updated the proper nand instead of emunand

Quite complicated but interesting

Sparks43 wrote: »
    Nearly updated the proper nand instead of emunand

Bordering on fancy paperweight territory there :o

Edit - I know what you mean, you would have flashed the latest firmware to the actual nand making the flashcart useless.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement