Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arcade and Retro General Chat in Karkariko Village Tavern: Live Ocarina Music

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

Myrddin wrote: »
    Bordering on fancy paperweight territory there :o

Edit - I know what you mean, you would have flashed the latest firmware to the actual nand making the flashcart useless.

Yep that would have stuffed things up big time

Still cant update for some reason done everything by the book and have gw3d 4.5 as firmware but it just wont update

Think i will wait till later in case nintys servers are getting a hammering with the mk8 update

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Plus, Fallen had Nimoy and Alan Tudyk, win.

Fallen didn't have Nimoy or Alan Tudyk, they were only in Dark of the Moon.

So minus most of the points that you've assigned to Revenge of The Fallen...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

Star Lord wrote: »
    Fallen didn't have Nimoy or Alan Tudyk, they were only in Dark of the Moon.

So minus most of the points that you've assigned to Revenge of The Fallen...
    But he contradicts himself by saying that Age had a better script, so yeah, he's Farnsworthing though that one.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

No, I mean, Erm, that one, the one before this one.
    Just because they all bleed into one explosivey mess, and I can't tell them apart.
    There was the one where LaBeoufs parents were talking about sex, there's the one with the two racially dodgy robots voiced by Spongebob, the one with Nimoy, so many!
    But the recent one was diabolical.
    I thought the previous one was a glorious car crash of bad taste and madness but Extinction was unbelievable, the product placement was the most blatant and insane I've ever seen.

Got it :D

Went to work and done the update there.

For some reason the 3ds didnt like the upc wifi :confused:

Will have lots of fun when i get home

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Yeah getting some dns issues with upc for the last two weeks :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I have to manually turn off UPC's router firewall everytime I want to download something on my 3DS. An absolute pain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I have to manually turn off UPC's router firewall everytime I want to download something on my 3DS. An absolute pain.

Same here, I tried whitelisting & filtering by MAC and yet it still doesn't work unless the firewall is off. It's really annoying

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Mine just works.
    Most of the time.
    Sometimes get a network issue with Netflix but aside from that it's golden.

Just went to see Standby this evening.
    Hmm, it was OK, but no chemistry at all between the leads.
    And the addition of a musical number of two, coupled with a couple wandering around Dublin we are well into Once territory. Just not as good :(
    The other Gleeson son though, looks like a clone of his dad, sounds like it too!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,887 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Only got around to watching Chronicle there on channel 4. Truly excellent stuff. Despite the found footage the action scenes were frame brilliantly, none of that shaky cam nonsense where you don't know what is going on.

Still no Amazing Spider-Man 2 though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Only got around to watching Chronicle there on channel 4
    I was watching Holy Flying Circus and forgot that was on even though loads of ads all week

Well, watched Age of Extinction...here's what I think.

+ Mark and Co. don't come off as a bunch of annoying prats, unlike Sam and whomever he had with him in the previous movies.
    + The Transformers no longer seem to be relegated to the background this time around, letting us actually see what they do and have them communicate with each other.
    + They've also been redesigned in a way where we can actually tell them apart which really helps.
    + NO MORE ARMY GUYS TAKING UP OUR TIME!
    + Bay seems to have restrained himself in the way he shoots a fair bit so he could allow the audience to soak in the action and view the 3D without chundering up their lunch.
    + Juvenile humour is no longer existent.

-/+ While the Dinobots came pretty late into the picture, I think we got what we paid for out of it.

- The movie needed at least a good half hour trimmed out of it, as at 2 hours and 45 minutes, it's way too long for a movie of this type.
    - Galvatron didn't really get much to do (though judging from the ending, I doubt that'll happen in the next movie).
    - The constantly shifting aspect ratios (particularly in the first act) come off as jarring compared to the Dark Knight movies.
    - For a movie that actually has a plot this time around, it's a bit underwritten for the most part.
    - My Little Pony reference.

So yeah...probably the best Transformers movie to date. And a hell of a lot better than a certain other, arachnid related movie from this year.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

So yeah...probably the best Transformers movie to date. And a hell of a lot better than a certain other, arachnid related movie from this year.

And, thankfully, contemporary cinema is so overwhelmingly vast and diverse that we don't need to concern ourselves too much with which crappy Hollywood blockbuster is crapper than the other :)

On a brighter note
    Watched Apocalypse Now Redux last night after coming home.
    It was pretty damn awesome.
    Now that's how you do a war movie.
    You want a dozen helicopters in the sky?
    You pay the Filipino military to put a dozen helicopters in the sky!
    Superb, even with roundy brando.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Los Lobos

Came across this deadly app for loading games straight to your commodore 64 the other night:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=co.kica.tapdancer&hl=en&referrer=utm_source%3Dgoogle%26utm_medium%3Dorganic%26utm_term%3Dtapdancer+app&pcampaignid=APPU_cYtoVODaF5PtaMLXgLgH

You download it to your android phone, and fill it up with commodore 64 games, I'm using .tap files

Then get hold of one of these:

http://www.halfords.ie/sat-nav-audio/car-audio/stereo-fitting-accessories/belkin-cassette-adapter

These can be got for pennies on ebay, I remember when pound shops were full of em too.

Put the adapter in your datasette, plug it into your phone,load up the app and pick a game, let it load up and enjoy on real hardware! No more waiting 5 minutes for a game to load just for it to crash! It's a great cheap as chips way to play c64 games on your commodore, I'm like a pig in the proverbial right now!

Edit: oh and cider, roundy brando makes apocalypse now!

• Advertisement

That's brilliant ^

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Very clever indeed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Los Lobos

It works amazingly well, and I actually prefer to have the load up screens too, the real deal! Everyone should have to wait for a c64 game to load before playing it, it's the way it was meant to be!

Los Lobos wrote: »
    It works amazingly well, and I actually prefer to have the load up screens too, the real deal! Everyone should have to wait for a c64 game to load before playing it, it's the way it was meant to be!

While the loading screens certainly do hold a significant nostalgic factor, not to mention some of the great music that accompanies them...I'm not sure they're the de facto way of playing C64 games. The disc drive & cart games would disagree :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

I used this for a bit with my Amstrad, the nostalgia of 5 minute loads quickly worn off so was replaced with a HXC drive.

Still, its a very handy utility to load up stuff on machines without discs.

• Advertisement

And, thankfully, contemporary cinema is so overwhelmingly vast and diverse that we don't need to concern ourselves too much with which crappy Hollywood blockbuster is crapper than the other :)
    Oh PUH-SHAW! I don't need your pretentious movies. I just want what Hollywood spoon feeds me.

Besides, ASM2 was almost all bad. At least Age of Extinction had some interesting moments.

I am trying to diversify myself anyway. Afterall, I did get Wings of Desire and the Werner Herzog Collection eariler this week.

All going well so far with the new 3ds flashcart :)

In the process of dumping a game i own and converting it so i can install the game to the system itself.

Have a nice and big sd card so it will take all of the games i own:D

The 3ds scene has really exploded in the last couple of weeks and another exploit is being released on the 22nd which will bring the homebrew channel to all firmware versions of the 3ds

Happy days

Half Life 2 is ten today! Or: ten years to the day since fans around the world discovered in no uncertain that Steam and dial-up internet were not going to be compatible bedfellows for very long :pac:

Half Life 2 is ten today! Or: ten years to the day since fans around the world discovered in no uncertain that Steam and dial-up internet were not going to be compatible bedfellows for very long :pac:
    Funny when you look back and see that Steam then was considered an online boogyman (which was justified, considering how broken it was back then). These days, people look at it as the First Church of Gabe Newell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,265 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I absolutely hated it. Went nuts when they took down the Won Half Life servers and was forced to use Steam instead. In fact it's partially what led to me stopping playing Half Life online :(

Can't believe HL2 is ten years old. Still remember building a gaming PC on the Dell website (oh the ignorance! hah) to play HL2 and Doom 3.

I just played it on my generically designed family computer. Miracle it ran at all, although there were a handful of sections where the game's frame rate dropped to Powerpoint level :pac: Still, easily one of the most formative gaming experiences of my life - sat there jaw agape for the entire opening hour of the game (it was a school night and I had to turn it off then since it took so long to ****ing install :p)

I've actually got the urge to play it again so just hit download on Steam. Five minutes and it's already downloaded the complete six GB file. How times have changed!

I just played it on my generically designed family computer. Miracle it ran at all, although there were a handful of sections where the game's frame rate dropped to Powerpoint level :pac: Still, easily one of the most formative gaming experiences of my life - sat there jaw agape for the entire opening hour of the game (it was a school night and I had to turn it off then since it took so long to ****ing install :p)

I've actually got the urge to play it again so just hit download on Steam. Five minutes and it's already downloaded the complete six GB file. How times have changed!

And in honour of those good ole days this is worth a link for anyone that might have forgotten (or too young to remember!):

You got so used to the sounds you could tell when it was going to connect or not. Thank god for progress! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

Does My 1.5mb download speeds count as progress in 2014?

Or a fibre cabinet that been installed in my estate for the guts of 18 months but not yet enabled.

Dial up, they got clever with the numbers you had to call too.
    It was at one time simply billed the same as a local number as it was a local number but, with the increase in mobile phone use they dropped the per minute tarrif on local calls.
    Then they changed the access numbers to dial up, so they could keep the per minute billing there.
    Unless, that is, you had an older account, like a local business my brother worked for, that still had the local dial up number, and who he helped with matters Internet.
    The folks had free dial up for a while!

Does My 1.5mb download speeds count as progress in 2014?

Or a fibre cabinet that been installed in my estate for the guts of 18 months but not yet enabled.

Beyond a joke your situation is. I've actually been able to properly use my online backup since moving to e-fibre. :eek: Still rubbish compared to the UPC elite though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭MrVestek

I never actually completed HL2 or any of it's Episodes.

Do I have to hand in my gamer card?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,887 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

So finally got around to playing Velocity 2X on the Vita, got it free with PS Plus. Thank god I did because I was thinking of buying it. It's pretty crappy and I really don't understand the appeal. The graphics are the worst kind of adobe illustrator vector rubbish and the gameplay got old very fast. There's nothing inherently wrong with it and the ship sections are original but the gameplay really can't hold the game for longer than 20 minutes before it bores me to big fat salty tears.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    So finally got around to playing Velocity 2X on the Vita, got it free with PS Plus. Thank god I did because I was thinking of buying it. It's pretty crappy and I really don't understand the appeal. The graphics are the worst kind of adobe illustrator vector rubbish and the gameplay got old very fast. There's nothing inherently wrong with it and the ship sections are original but the gameplay really can't hold the game for longer than 20 minutes before it bores me to big fat salty tears.

I'd disagree about the graphics (you must be Da Vinci himself if you think they are rubbish!) but yeah the ship gameplay gets boring fast. Same as the first game, my problem with it is the jumping through barriers mechanic - it's too alien for a shooter and I could never get used to it. Was still worth downloading for free of course, not worth paying for imo.

I've a real hatred for lazy Vector graphics. Something like Velocity looks absolutely appalling I feel compared to some proper pixel art or even Vector graphics done well. There's an awful lot of really awful artists getting gigs in small game projects and I really hate seeing such bad art being acceptable, it should be left to the quagmire of mobile casual games. Everything just looks so flat and there's no attempt at shading or shadow to give it more of a 3D.

At least Velocity didn't try to pass there graphics off as retro, now that infuriates me!

I'm indifferent to the graphics in the game - although I like the look of the platforming sections - but the actual gameplay I think is excellent. As the game progresses, there are some ingenious puzzle / maze layouts both in the ship and indoor sections that really demands the player pay attention to figure them out. A couple of the bosses near the end are especially clever. The developers also made a smart decision in making the game generally forgiving, but seriously demanding for players who actually want to do well. Anybody can see most of what the game has to offer, but there's a lot of challenge there for anybody who wants to learn and improve their knowledge of the mechanics. And, when you get into the flow, rapid teleporting all over the gaff, it is immensely satisfying. A game designed for high scores and replays, that's for sure.

Though I do think ultimately the game could have benefited from a slightly leaner amount of missions. There are a couple in the middle particularly that feel a bit redundant.

Master of the Universe

Had a quick gawk as a matter of interest as I've never heard of it. Yeah, that's some bland, unoriginal art and design. Character animations are pretty awful too.

It really reminds me of a lot of bad Amiga euro shooters. They all have a similar uninspiring look to them. Like a guy wanted to develop a game and asked his mate down the road to do up the artwork. (I know nothing about the devs of Velocity but from looking at it, I could bet money on it that it's European)

Master of the Universe

Has anyone in here finished Child of Light by the way? Is it worth sticking out? I've tried to get into it but it just won't hold my attention.

o1s1n wrote: »
    Has anyone in here finished Child of Light by the way? Is it worth sticking out? I've tried to get into it but it just won't hold my attention.

It's a gorgeous looking game and quite interesting but the slow as molasses battle system does it's best to really grind the whole thing to a near halt and not make it much fun.

Master of the Universe

Yeah I found that to be the number 1 thing which made me switch the game off. You know it's not a good sign when you let out an exasperated sign upon seeing a battle approaching.

• Advertisement

*puts on bulletproof vest*

That's the sort of feeling I get when playing Earthbound a lot of the time :o

Master of the Universe

*puts on bulletproof vest*

That's the sort of feeling I get when playing Earthbound a lot of the time :o

/loads up machine gun :pac:

I did find the battle system in Earthbound to be a bit boring alright, in fact it's the main reason I gave up on it at first.

The enemy design is just off the wall though, which kind of counter balances the shortfalls.

I can forgive a bit of a boring battle with a spiteful crow, new age retro hippy or a pogo punk because they're entertaining in themselves. I don't think it's just about the battling itself.

In Child of Light I'm fighting slow, boring battles against insects. Something which really puts the grind in grinding.

I do like the deadpan character design and names, for sure - not every game has you facing a Territorial Oak. Sadly, the magic and humour wears off when you have to spend 30 minutes plus fighting them again and again :(

My problem mainly lies with the 'dungeon' (if we can call them that) design. They're just repetitive chores that feel like roadblocks between the good stuff. The desert sequence stands out - when you have to track down and kill five moles in a non-descript mine. Humour livens up things - the way all the moles claim they are 'the number three' mole - but that only briefly distracts from the fact you're spending so long navigating a frustrating, dull maze.

That's the nature of old dragon quest battle systems. However I couldn't call the earthbound battle system slow, it's really fast paced so it doesn't really get in the way. It's simplistic yeah but I never really felt it was annoying espeically with random battles eliminated. Fights rarely last two rounds unlike child of light where they take forever. It's up there with Legend of Dragoon for long boring battles, although at least the child of light mechanics are a lot more involved and interesting than that piece of ****.

One other thing that is kind of lost of westerners is that the simplistic dragon quest battle system was choosen since it's nostalgic for japanese people that grew up with DQ. It's designed that way to illicit that childhood nostalgia. Anyway it's not like it's devoid of innovation, the way they use the rolling HP meter particularly later on is very good.

Mother 3 though I have to admit is a much bigger improvement.

And we have success :D

Took a retail Mario 3d land cart dumped it

Converted it to an installable format (bloody complicated)

And installed it to the 3ds on the sdcard

Pretty bloody sweet

*engage smug mode*
    *Smug mode engaged*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Sparks43 wrote: »
    And we have success :D

Took a retail Mario 3d land cart dumped it

Converted it to an installable format (bloody complicated)

And installed it to the 3ds on the sdcard

Pretty bloody sweet

*engage smug mode*
    *Smug mode engaged*

• Advertisement

OK lads and lassies, no more discussion on circumventing copy protection here.
    If that is too specific then the tone of the chat on the topic of getting others people's work to run on a 3DS without paying for it is not allowed anywhere on Boards and, anyway, isn't either Arcade or Retro.
    I don't want to be a dick about it but I'd rather it stopped there than led to a smack from higher up.
    So, Congrats Sparks, I hope life on the open seas is all you hoped for, Rum, Sodomy and the Lash and all that.

Master of the Universe

Parents cleared our their attic. Loads of bits and pieces found. But the one lot I was looking for (and haven't been able to find for years) is my N64 games. Loads of them were CIB.

One of them was a CIB Paper Mario in mint fresh condition.

I just did the unthinkable and looked up ebay sold listings. Balls!!!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NINTENDO-64-N64-PAPER-MARIO-PAL-VERSION-GREAT-CONDITION-MINT-A-/191401294556?pt=UK_PC_Video_Games_Video_Games_JS&hash=item2c9067fadc

Stick it up on Adverts and see the low ball offers roll in!
    " I'll do you a favour and offer a tenner"

Im not doing this with roms btw

Only genuine carts and waiting for the homebrew channel

Also looking at a theme creator atm to make a retro boulder dash theme

Going quite well

Master of the Universe

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Stick it up on Adverts and see the low ball offers roll in!
    " I'll do you a favour and offer a tenner"

I would if I could find them, they're all missing :(

They were all 50hz PAL games, I've a feeling Retr0 snuck in and threw up on all the boxes.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement