Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arcade and Retro General Chat in Karkariko Village Tavern: Live Ocarina Music

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

Just gonna leave this here

gym.gif
    Why do I see the non Japanese version of Streets of Rage III Blaze Fielding on the treadmill?

A friend of mine rang me last night.
    said he seen a skip with the side panel of an original pacman sticking out of it!
    Said he went in and asked the builders what the story was and they said there was more.......
    hes going to find out today what the story is!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

urbanledge wrote: »
    said he seen a skip with the side panel of an original pacman sticking out of it!
    Said he went in and asked the builders what the story was and they said there was more.......

Could be a goldmine find!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,036 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Damn it, went mad again on ebay last night. Some expensive stuff arriving soon hopefully :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Myst collection on GOG dirt cheap at the moment..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

Did he take said side panel?:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Did he take said side panel?:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

nope,
    said his missus would go mad because the house is at capacity with all the **** hes bringing home from skips.
    no joking i met the lad in town for pints late one saturday night and he had a basketball hoop with him he got out of a skip.

LOL
    Was the full machine in said skip of just one side of it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,388 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Hahaha, I've a mate like that.

One evening he turned up in the pub with a pool table under his arm and his pockets full of pool balls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,245 ✭✭✭MrVestek

o1s1n wrote: »
    Hahaha, I've a mate light that.

One evening he turned up in the pub with a pool table under his arm and his pockets full of pool balls.

Those weren't balls in his pocket he was just happy to see you.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Just watching Beethoven (for some unknown reason!) and there's a scene where the kids are playing Mario 3.

One of them has a Power Glove!

Unfortunately he doesn't tell us all how bad it is though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

nope,
    said his missus would go mad because the house is at capacity with all the **** hes bringing home from skips.
    no joking i met the lad in town for pints late one saturday night and he had a basketball hoop with him he got out of a skip.
    My uncle is like that, wouldn't understand gaming stuff unfortunately but he just doesn't care, he'd pick up anything. I wish I'd a phone to record him trying to sneak in with stuff and my aunt roaring at him, I cry laughing every time it happened.
    He picked up horseshoes once and made a lovely wine rack for my mam (he was a blacksmith)

So as it turns out, someone down the road from where I live had a gun out to the Irish Water guys earlier today. Supposed to be on the news tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Just watching Beethoven (for some unknown reason!) and there's a scene where the kids are playing Mario 3.

One of them has a Power Glove!

Unfortunately he doesn't tell us all how bad it is though.

Haha I noticed that myself, one of those come home and turn on the tv and dont bother to change the channel things!
    So as it turns out, someone down the road from where I live had a gun out to the Irish Water guys earlier today. Supposed to be on the news tonight.

I'd like to see how that went down

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,832 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I was watching a film called And the Mud Ship Sails Away recently and kept getting distracted in one scene because there was a Mushihimesama Futari cabinet in the background :pac: (more obvious in motion!)

fjntrc.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Reminds me of that bit in Citizen Kane when he plays a few rounds of Robotron.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Oddworld Inhabitant

Hi All,

I was wondering if any of you would know roughly what price a Vectrex with 2 boxed games would be worth?

I saw one for sale and was considering it but I'm not sure if the price is reasonable.

Thanks

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,036 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

In another weird sighting of an obscure shmup I was watching emmerdale during dinner (I live with two girls) and they had a Toaplan bullet hell shooter in an arcade machine in the background. Could have been oe of the other soaps but pretty sure it was emmerdale.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    In another weird sighting of an obscure shmup I was watching emmerdale during dinner (I live with two girls) and they had a Toaplan bullet hell shooter in an arcade machine in the background. Could have been oe of the other soaps but pretty sure it was emmerdale.
    Oh, I noticed that myself whenever the mother was watching her soaps. I just wanted to figure out what shoot them up it was.

Master of the Universe

I think its Eastenders? Saw something similar last week on the show in a cafe. Real 'wtf?!' Moment.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,832 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The real question here is: why is everybody watching Emmerdale / Eastenders / whatever? The 'mother/housemates/significant other' excuse only goes so far :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The real question here is: why is everybody watching Emmerdale / Eastenders / whatever? The 'mother/housemates/significant other' excuse only goes so far :pac:

I was just thinking the same thing myself.
    What gives?
    The typical A&R user is also a soap watcher?
    Pity more of them aren't soap washers! Wakka wakka wakka!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

This place really has gone to the dogs lately. You've got folks selling their candies, others not getting 96 exits in SMW, heathens with their CRT-less setups, even the odd crazy praising Transformers 4!! What's next, Myrddin turning up to a beers? Ciderman not trading in games at a loss? :eek:

Uhhh, why are you suggesting that I watch the show? Because I don't. If I had actually watched the show, I'm more than certain that I would have brought it up by this point in my time here.
    Andrew76 wrote: »
    This place really has gone to the dogs lately. You've got folks selling their candies, others not getting 96 exits in SMW, heathens with their CRT-less setups, even the odd crazy praising Transformers 4!! What's next, Myrddin turning up to a beers? Ciderman not trading in games at a loss? :eek:
    Hell, there was actually something that Retro would play Legend of Dragoon for rather than another thing. You don't want to know what that other thing is.

Also, Age is still better than ASM2. Now anyone praising that movie I feel is odd and crazy.

I haven't traded in anything in a good while now.
    Is it a mark of the end of days?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I haven't traded in anything in a good while now.
    Is it a mark of the end of days?

no, that'd be the day you go into Tesco and don't leave with something gaming related.

Which reminds me, they've jacked up the price of Cheese Puffs from 79c to around €1.75, utterly disgraceful!

Not retro but just got my new Glorious Master Race machine.

Intel quad core i5 at 3.40 GHz, 8GB DDR3 and a 970 GTX with 4GB of GDDR5.

Also have a spiffy SSD Hard Disk, Windows boots in less than 10 seconds.

Booted up Titanfall in my mates house to test it out. All details up to the max, full anti aliasing and full antistropic filtering and it's was running at a rock solid 60 FPS at 3840 × 1080 (twice as many pixels a 1080p).

So I've one question, why the hell did I buy a PS4?

Master of the Universe

Who would have thought Retr0 would become a graphics whore :(

You'll be playing Arma, BF and all those other Dude Bro games exclusively by the end of the month.

In all seriousness though, a PC like that is just calling out for an Oculus Rift. I hope you've added one to your Santa list!

• Advertisement

I'm actually going to be building / buying a PC very shortly. If anybody has any advice it would be much appreciated, by PM if it's too off topic even for here :pac: I have zero experience in the realm of building, if that makes a difference which it surely will ;)

I've always had a gaming PC it's just a rare occurrence when it gets upgraded, I had a dual core machine for the last few years that outpaced the PS360 consoles. This one is a massive upgrade over it, my friend was showing me comparison charts and it was at least twice as quick, sometimes three times as quick. Should be nicely future proofed since it well outclasses the latest consoles. It also runs using significantly less power which is nice.

I'll have to look into getting a consumer oculus when it gets released :)

I'm actually going to be building / buying a PC very shortly. If anybody has any advice it would be much appreciated, by PM if it's too off topic even for here :pac: I have zero experience in the realm of building, if that makes a difference which it surely will ;)

The 970gtx that I have seems to be the best value card for power, and it has tonnes of video ram. RAM is dirt cheap, get at least 8DDR3 but you could even stretch to 16 and it won't cost much. The processor will be the biggest expense. Intel have no competition so prices are high at the moment. A i7 seems like overkill at the moment so a reasonably specced i5 is a nice compromise. The 3.40 ghz one I got was nicely priced.

Definitely invest in a SSD hard disk and install games and the operating system to it. I've not seen boot speeds this quick since the Super Nintendo, it's insane, a PC putting the consoles to shame in boot speed. Then get a big regular HD for your movies, music, etc.

look whats going on offer in the Black Friday sale at 9:10am

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00JMG7Q0K

Master of the Universe

look whats going on offer in the Black Friday sale at 9:10am

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00JMG7Q0K

I've never really heard anything about those films, they any good?

Nope, they are not.

• Advertisement

Intel quad core i5 at 3.40 GHz, 8GB DDR3 and a 970 GTX with 4GB of GDDR5.

Also have a spiffy SSD Hard Disk, Windows boots in less than 10 seconds.

Booted up Titanfall in my mates house to test it out. All details up to the max, full anti aliasing and full antistropic filtering and it's was running at a rock solid 60 FPS at 3840 × 1080 (twice as many pixels a 1080p).

The thing you should be saying is now you'll never have a reason to buy an Xbox One.
    There'll be plenty of reasons to own a PS4, any day now, you'll see, just keep watching...

Im upgrading my gaming rig to a i5/i7 with 970 gtx too.
    my core 2 duo 3ghz and 4g ddr2 has served me well for 5 years.
    SSD is an must.I have a small one (120g) for my OS and its a beast.

Master of the Universe

Do modern SSID drives still have a read/write limit? I haven't looked into them in years but that's one thing that always put me off the idea.

I doubt you could kill one in its useful life under normal use

Do modern SSID drives still have a read/write limit? I haven't looked into them in years but that's one thing that always put me off the idea.
    interesting article regarding same here
    http://techreport.com/review/26058/the-ssd-endurance-experiment-data-retention-after-600tb
    I think it's pretty much impossible to hit the limit unless you are installing/uninstalling applications all day long

• Advertisement

Modern flash drives are far better than older ones when it comes to reliability. Unlesd you are doing crazy read/write stuff then it should be fine and if you do have to do something that requires that then you can always just get a big physical drive for that stuff.

Funstock seem to be desperate to shift their stock of Retron 5 consoles.
    I've been getting loads of preorder emails from them, there's some left and don't get left behind kinda messages.
    Seems, until the licencing issues are cleared up, the console is an unattractive prospect.
    Too late and too expensive tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭BGOllie

Funstock seem to be desperate to shift their stock of Retron 5 consoles.
    I've been getting loads of preorder emails from them, there's some left and don't get left behind kinda messages.
    Seems, until the licencing issues are cleared up, the console is an unattractive prospect.
    Too late and too expensive tbh.

have they drooped their prices at all on the back of the license issues ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

LongZ wrote: »
    have they drooped their prices at all on the back of the license issues ?

According to the Completely Unnecessary Podcast, they increased the price by $20 recently.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

According to the Completely Unnecessary Podcast, they increased the price by $20 recently.

Maybe that was to cover any imminent legal costs... :pac:

Apparently B&Q are stocking pointy hoods and burning crosses now!
    8qaN8sO.jpg

630x.jpg

trying to spot Atavan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Apparently B&Q are stocking pointy hoods and burning crosses now!
    -white power accessories pic-

"Whur's da goddang Budweiser, Harold?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

In Bloodborne we trust!

DinoRex wrote: »
    In Bloodborne we trust!

I just hope it stops being delayed!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement