Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arcade and Retro General Chat in Karkariko Village Tavern: Live Ocarina Music

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I just hope it stops being delayed!

I prefer they take their time.

Evil Within definitely could have done with a few more months in the oven.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

DinoRex wrote: »
    I prefer they take their time.

Evil Within definitely could have done with a few more months in the oven.

Its becoming the norm now though unfortunately.

Look at Assasins Creed. Seriously how did that get released?! Mental stuff.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I have never understood the annoyance with game delays. It's not like there's ever a shortage of games to play, and if a game needs an extra few months or even a year to get it right than great (you do unfortunately have games like Drive Club which take the year and don't get it right :pac:). I would always rather wait and get the best game reasonably possible than something that doesn't fulfill its potential. If a publisher / developer is reasonable enough to extend the deadline when needed, then it's not something that should be met with the annoyance you always see when a delay is announced. The Last Guardian is ripping the piss, of course, but hey if it's the masterpiece it should be when/if it eventually arrives then it will have been worth it.

In other developments, I finally did something I never thought I'd do today and bought a Move controller. It's the first step in an ambition to get a four player, outdoor Johann Sebastian Joust session going. If that works, then the eight player option is the next step :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The Last Guardian, they should release it for the PS2.
    Then, six months later release The Last Guardian HD version for the PS3.
    The release The Last Guardian: Mobile Edition on the Vita six months after that.
    Then, a full 18 months down the line, release The Last Guardian: Remastered, for the PS4.
    And, you know what, I'd buy each and every one :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,886 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

In other developments, I finally did something I never thought I'd do today and bought a Move controller. It's the first step in an ambition to get a four player, outdoor Johann Sebastian Joust session going. If that works, then the eight player option is the next step :D

A man so desperate for something worthwhile to play on the PS4 he had to buy a Move :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

A man so desperate for something worthwhile to play on the PS4 he had to buy a Move :pac:

Ah yes, I can still remember the abuse I took for buying one as well....
    The only thing worth playing with it is House of the Dead Overkill tbh, seeing as the GunCon 3 can operate the releases of Time Crisis 4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Ah yes, I can still remember the abuse I took for buying one as well....
    The only thing worth playing with it is House of the Dead Overkill tbh, seeing as the GunCon 3 can operate the releases of Time Crisis 4.

House of the dead 4 was excellent in imo should be on psn

"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad."

- Shigeru Miyamoto

(Mario Sunshine could probably have done with a bit more time though)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I've loved the idea of JSJ ever since I heard about it, and playing two player is a whole lot of fun. Don't care what format its on, just want four or eight people in a field somewhere having jousting battles :)

Oddly enough, the 8 player mode is only playable on PS3 anyway due to controller bandwidth or some such!

• Advertisement

- Shigeru Miyamoto

How did that work out for Duke Nukem Forever again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

How did that work out for Duke Nukem Forever again?

Wouldn't say Duke Nukem was exactly 'delayed' though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

- Shigeru Miyamoto

Big bits of Wind Waker got chopped too, I seem to remember? There's a couple of islands where it's either over before it starts, like Jabu-Jabu, or sit there hauntingly unused and inaccessible.

It kinda make sense, considering the fluffily-padded fetch quest near the end. "Eh, yeah, you need to go find a lot of stuff that will tell you where you can go find a lot of stuff." Believe it got sorted in the HD remake.

Corholio wrote: »
    Wouldn't say Duke Nukem was exactly 'delayed' though.

It even has it's own wiki page devoted to the disaster that was/is Duke 4
    cliclickedy click
    And that's just for it's development, the games wiki page is here

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,886 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    Big bits of Wind Waker got chopped too, I seem to remember? There's a couple of islands where it's either over before it starts, like Jabu-Jabu, or sit there hauntingly unused and inaccessible.

It kinda make sense, considering the fluffily-padded fetch quest near the end. "Eh, yeah, you need to go find a lot of stuff that will tell you where you can go find a lot of stuff." Believe it got sorted in the HD remake.

Two dungeons were cut and the padding was added to extend the length of the game since silly people think a short game is bad.

TBF every game is released unfinished with tonnes of cuts. Having been through the development process even on the small project I was on it's always hard to let your baby go out into the wild in state you would consider 'still born'. Knowing when to stop iterating and get a project finished is what separates an efficient developer from a terrible one.

Anyone else thinking the new generation of consoles are a complete and utter mess ? Supposedly using pc like architecture for developers for ease of use and so far we see games failing to launch ( driveclub ) huge maketing , lazy execution ( destiny) ( watchdogs ) and just broken games all together ( assassin creed unity )

but of course it does not end there , I may be mistaken but the sheer amount of developers to come out and say 30fps is more cinematic , either they think we are stupid or there years of coding and developing went through there heads and all they see is numbers because 60fps was the mandatory thing since 2006-2007.

was not ratchet and clank tools of destruction , Resistance , warhawk genji to name a few 60fps ? and most were of either launch day or launch year, Instead people do not give a **** about smooth of gameplay and response controls as long there grass looks better on one console than the other.

whats the point of powerful consoles when the experience seems worse ?

least Nintendo knows 60fps is needed , smash bros is 60fps 1080p , cant say the same for the other platforms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,265 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

As someone who only own Nintendo consoles this generation, no, I do not think they are a complete mess :D

They've been out a year, it's always slim pickings in the first year.

They've been out a year, it's always slim pickings in the first year.

Its not the lack of games that annoys me its the fact the all run like ****e , even games that arent that demanding from last year ran piss poor , yes i am looking at you shadow of the damned.

Where do we draw the line ?

I am so sure gta 5 on ps3 was dipping 18fps at times , i rather see no texture on the building to get it to 60fps than a somewhat decent looking game that performs like ass

#pcmasterrace

Master of the Universe

urbanledge wrote: »
    #pcmasterrace

attorney.jpg

• Advertisement

Everyone forgets how lousy year one was for the PS2 and PS3, and those consoles went on to define their respective generations.
    The WiiU has the game but not enough people owning the console to play them, the PS4 has the opposite problem, a big installed userbase but nothing really worth playing, at least nothing that differentiates it from the previous gen.
    And then they try, like with Drive Club or Assassins creed, they produce a buggy mess.

If things don't get better in year two home consoles mat fundamentally spend their goodwill and leave the door open for consolised PCs to take over, like the range of Steam machines poised to be released during 2015.

There is no combination of words / meme the Internet has made me hate more than 'PC Master Race'.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

There is no combination of words / meme the Internet has made me hate more than 'PC Master Race'.

Agreed. Since I've started playing Elite Dangerous I've been frequenting the PC Gaming forum and noticed they've started to use that term (or PCMR for short) in the fooking thread titles. Cringeworthy it is. :rolleyes:

But on the subject of PC games, anyone else pick up Never Alone? Haven't got that far into but seems pretty cool. I actually like the video clips that unlock as you go on, nice touch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭eddhorse

the PS4 has the opposite problem, a big installed userbase but nothing really worth playing, at least nothing that differentiates it from the previous gen.

The PS4 has lots of games !
    http://www.pushsquare.com/games?title=&region=pal&system=ps4&publisher=&players=&genre=&submit=Filter

I am a Playstation fan but you have to be able find something you like in there.

I agree with you, they shouldnt release anything without testing but it seems they use us as the beta testers and bug finders.
    They care not for deadlines but patch afterwards.

It has lots of games I can get on a system I already own.

It has lots of games I can get on a system I already own.

Exactly, Brother Retr0, exactly.

And the way in which we are being used as bug testers just puts me off buying games on release, better to wait a month or two, get it cheaper and working.
    Except Ninty stuff, they don't seem to release games desperately in need of a patch, yes there are updates, but the games don't typically seem unfinished, even if it's something I don't play.
    Another reason the console is unattractive to third parties perhaps, releasing properly finished games is expensive.

I do agree with you both, i still have a PS3 since 2007 and dont see any point in going to PS4 in the near future.

If you buy a modern console in its first year, you forfeit your right to complain about lack of games since it's always going to happen. Any regular of this forum should well know that :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Everyone forgets how lousy year one was for the PS2 and PS3, and those consoles went on to define their respective generations.

ps2 yes, ps3 no.

ps2 yes, ps3 no.

Eh PS3 was dire for well over a year I remember getting mine a year after release since I was in the US and looking at the shelves looking for anything to buy before picking up crap I never played. I wasn't until Uncharted and Valkyria Chronicles came out there was anything worth playing on the machine and even then it was slim pickings and third party ports of games that were compromised over the 360 release.

It was a really awful console and a waste of space for a long time for me but really has redeemed itself in recent years.

Unless of course you are one of the crazies that likes Resistance :P

Edit: or meant they defined their respective generations. I think the PS3 was the one that ended up the better console but really it was playing catch up on the 360 when it came to what it did to change the game this generation.

• Advertisement

More non retro stuff but been playing a good bit of Titanfall on my new PC. It's not a multiplayer game you can take seriously and doubt it will ever make the tournament scene like Call of Duty or Halo.

On the other hand it's a hell of a lot more fun than either of those games. I love the verticality of the levels, it feels like a nice compromise between old school Unreal/Quake and Call of Duty and the mech combat is great fun. I have to agree with Johnny Ultimate about it, for pure fun multiplayer it's hard to beat.

Master of the Universe

Just got an email from Parcel Motel asking for feedback via a survey.

I will not be kind...!

Edit - they put me in the 30-34 age bracket?! Jesus christ, I'm going to be even less kind now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

o1s1n wrote: »

I will not be kind...!

Edit - they put me in the 29-34 age bracket?! Jesus christ, I'm going to be even less kind now.
    they didn't send me one. I wonder why.
    Still waiting on my compensation for breaking my last parcel, 14days so far, took numerous phonecalls, tweets, emails to get this far :eek:
    I have sent this through to the claims department for you now.
    Your claim will be processed within 30 days, you will receive a cheque as per our liability policy.
    Please let me know if you experience any delays and once again apologies for this delay.

I will not be kind...!

Edit - they put me in the 30-34 age bracket?! Jesus christ, I'm going to be even less kind now.

I wish they'd put me in the 30-34 age bracket :(

Just filled it in there now.

Lots of very specific questions about unwanted xmas gifts. I'm guessing they're hoping to pump up their returns service with online retailers.

I will not be kind...!

Soon as I got that email I thought, "uh oh, they'll be getting some amount of abuse from the folks on boards!". :D

Will fill mine in later, only issue I have with them is the website updates are crap once something has been checked in. Although it doesn't make much difference since I still get the item the next morning.

Just picked up something nice for the Ciderlads Jebus Day stocking, rub down transfers!
    If you are a child of the 70's you'll remember these, called Kaltikos and you'd get a sheet of little pictures on acetate that you could transfer to play scenes by rubbing the acetate with a pencil
    Pretty big back in the day and it seems the equivalent is still being produced.
    Picked up a Viking one, ancient Egyptian scenes and one based on Dinosaurs.
    A nice little stocking filler I'd say, 2.99 each.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

Remember those alright. In the 80s for me though!

Just picked up something nice for the Ciderlads Jebus Day stocking, rub down transfers!
    If you are a child of the 70's you'll remember these, called Kaltikos and you'd get a sheet of little pictures on acetate that you could transfer to play scenes by rubbing the acetate with a pencil

Cool! Think I remember reading about those in history class when I was a kid, after the chapter about the Rosetta Stone. :P :P

• Advertisement

My atari 2600 is covered with them.

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Cool! Think I remember reading about those in history class when I was a kid, after the chapter about the Rosetta Stone. :P :P

Remember when i said i was going to kill you last Andrew76?
    Yeah, that's right Ciderman!
    I lied...
    Where's Andrew76?

I let him go.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Anyone have much experience with ordering from game.co.uk?

A couple of months ago I pre ordered forza horizon 2 and it never arrived. I contacted them a few weeks later and they said to wait until the end of this month before contacting them again so I did and awaiting a reply. However, I also have the Pokemon games pre ordered from them and obviously want them to arrive but just wondering if anyone else has had delivered from them go missing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Lots of very specific questions about unwanted xmas gifts. I'm guessing they're hoping to pump up their returns service with online retailers.

like the one with Littlewoods which they said was the reason they had to put their price up by 45c?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Anyone know of any good PS4 deals? My girlfriend is getting me one for Christmas and she asked me to find the best place to get one.

Would there be any on the likes of play.com or any eu site for black friday?

Anyone know of any good PS4 deals? My girlfriend is getting me one for Christmas and she asked me to find the best place to get one.

In the States its $399 with GTA5 and the Last of Us, works out around €310

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00O9JLAX4/ref=redir_mdp_mobile/187-6973723-3701415#

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Tomo.Murphy

The best PS4 deal I've come across here so far is around €410 in argos. PS4 with GTA V and Far Cry 4.

That was a strange survey, not much at all about the service they provide and more about what you might buy or receive at Christmas. Who the feck would love to receive a set of saucepans. :confused: And what sort of miserable git buys Christmas presents in the January sales... :pac:

Andrew76 wrote: »
    And what sort of miserable git buys Christmas presents in the January sales... :pac:

I personally tend to just hide under a pile of coats over the xmas so I'm able to avail of the sales.

The survey really looks like they want to be able to go to businesses and say things like people are more likely to buy online with you if they can return things easier and go to petrol and stations and say people will totally buy stuff in your shop while they're picking up their parcel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

This maybe?

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057334037/1/#post93200487

Great price for Evil Within on Steam at the moment, just €20.39

http://store.steampowered.com/agecheck/app/268050/

I'm really enjoying it now... first 5 hours are a bit rough though.

Feels like it was play tested by really dumb people as there a bunch of puzzles that seems like they've been awkwardly altered to be more obvious because people where having trouble with them.

Like last night I had a bit with a classic puzzle where to get the combination to a safe I had to count the number of people on two paintings... pretty basic RE type puzzle... but when it came to putting in the combination the game just inputted thing itself without me even touch in the dials.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement