Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arcade and Retro General Chat in Karkariko Village Tavern: Live Ocarina Music

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

I really enjoyed it too. The aspect ratio did bug me though, otherwise it was excellent.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,886 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I didn't play it for 5 hours but really not impressed by it at all. I'd say its the biggest disappointment this year for me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,886 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I didn't play it for 5 hours but really not impressed by it at all. I'd say its the biggest disappointment this year for me.

I was the same... had to force myself back to play it. But it really does get very good and once you upgrade your character a bit the combat starts to feel a lot better.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Sera wrote: »
    Ye talk about it the most

Does he trash the film? Couldn't bear to watch it if he does. Nowt bad can be said about that film in my book (same goes for Midnight Run!).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Does he trash the film? Couldn't bear to watch it if he does. Nowt bad can be said about that film in my book (same goes for Midnight Run!).

I'm hoping to introduce Cidonalad to the movie this week, just some warnings needed for the swearing bit.
    Two pillows though, I reckon I might have to keep the crash trolley handy for him when that scene comes up..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

That link is not working

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

That link is not working

Oh, it's a ps4 in Argos with the last of us for €379

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/2928386/Trail/searchtext%3EPS4+LAST+OF+US+BUNDLE+OFFER.htm

Excellent, thats exactly what I wanted, white PS4 and The Last of Us

Thanks man!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Andrew76 wrote: »
    It's a what you never knew video, how could that be anything bad (its basically did DYK)? A review is different but NC likes TPAA. It's just pointing out stuff in the background and things like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

My laptop charger has died... 29 minutes to blackout...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,265 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I gave up Ingress yesterday and uninstalled it from my phone after about 4 months playing it religiously 2-3 hours a day.

Had a horrible realization, it's basically a MMORPG in disguise. But worse, because it ends up with you staring at a screen during the one time you really shouldn't be staring at a screen, when you're out and about.

All the tell tale signs and reasons I keep away from MMORPGs were starting to creep in - thinking about the game when I'm away from it, going out of my way to accommodate playing the game, elements of the game feeling like an extra chore but had to be done... I'd even be late for appointments with people as I'd end up meandering around the place capturing portals on the way to meet them.

So yeah, great game, but jeez, talk about an addictive time sink. It's basically GPS based WOW - no thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

1 year into the new gen era what are peoples current thoughts?

Owning a ps4 and wii u I can say with confidence that WiiU and Xbox one currently are the consoles to own at this very moment while I cannot fathom why ps4 is selling the numbers it has been all year.

But given the situation within the sony HQ it seems they are banking everything on ps4 success , cutting there tv and smartphone business in half and currently are setting a goal to bring more value to ps plus and ps4 software I be interested to see what sony have planned for ps4.

Master of the Universe

I have the same level of indifference to the PS4/XB1 that I did to the PS3/360 before them.

Don't care about either until some decent games come out that I want to play. They're not at that stage yet.

The only thing on the Xbox One I'm interested in is D4. But I can't see myself buying the console just for that... Did my bit to support Swery by purchasing the soundtrack though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

I'm not particularly bothered with current gen at the moment. Have the Xbox one but other than the forza series and D4 there's nothing else to make me want to play it more. Then again there generally never is anything "must have" on consoles during the first year or so.

D4 is a game I really want to play on the XBox One but also Forza Horizon. I wasn't interested in that game until I heard Sumo Digital were the developers, they make cracking racers.

The PS4 really has no exclusives to make it stand out at all unless you like boring Killzone and Infamous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Steve X2

1 year into the new gen era what are peoples current thoughts?

The PS4 is very good at wedging doors open and the XBox One is very good at elevating my 3DO up a couple of inches. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

So...that new Star Wars trailer just hit.

Consider me underwhelmed.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

I think its a great teaser trailer. when that music kicks in and the falcon is flying around... loved it. great to see xwings and stormtroopers on screen again.

I enjoyed the teaser and am looking forward to the movie.

That light sabre, seems kind of impractical though :)

stock-photo-hand-burned-on-a-stove-58086016.jpg

Steve SI wrote: »
    I enjoyed the teaser and am looking forward to the movie
    Abrams' involvement in the movie is not thing I'm looking forward to in a Star Wars movie.

Abrams' involvement in the movie is not thing I'm looking forward to in a Star Wars movie.

Better Abrams' than post early 80's Lucas :)

Master of the Universe

Consider me underwhelmed.

You're too young to get it :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I thought it looked the business and can't wait!

bleh... It's no 'Starchaser' that's for sure:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,968 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

With all the new joysticks in the wild for Elite/Star Citizen imagine if they threw out a new Xwing or Tie fighter, not a hope though. Wonder if we'll get any decent Star Wars games from this?

Steve SI wrote: »
    Better Abrams' than post early 80's Lucas :)
    You know, I'd almost want another Lucas directed Star Wars movie, if just because they were more crummy in fascinating ways. Abrams...what has he got that'll make his Star Wars what it is? A retread into the Original Trilogy. I expect this one to be average at best. Thank god Rian Johnson is helming the next one. Because we need fresh talent with a headload of ideas helming this series just as Lucas was the freshness back in '77. Abrams doesn't seem to have that ideas aspect in his work, especially if you've seen his Trek movies which just rip off scenes wholesale from other, better Trek movies. Hell, if anything, I think Lucas should have given Abrams a helping hand at constructing ideas for this new one.
    o1s1n wrote: »
    You're too young to get it
    Meh. I at least know with adult perspective that Return of the Jedi was a poor movie.

I want JJ Abrams to direct Howard the Duck 2.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

o1s1n wrote: »
    You're too young to get it :pac:

I wouldn't be the biggest fan of Star Wars in the world but it's cool to see the Falcon flying about. What is going to be fun when the film comes out is the inevitable whinging from fanboys complaining about how they're crap because they're not the original ones or something stupid like that. I'm just hoping for a decent sci-fi film (or space opera if you want to be anal). Long as JarJar Binks isn't in it, it can't be that bad? :)

I just want to watch a new Star Wars movie, and the new trilogy is great but the planned expansions to the onscreen universe via the interleaving films will be brilliant, apparently the film out in 2016 will be a bounty hunter led heist movie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Some classic moments here

I thought the Star Wars trailer looked good, does what it says on the tin and get the hype going!

I have no idea of the story and I've never touched any of the extended universe Star Wars stuff so no idea whats going on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,968 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I thought the Star Wars trailer looked good, does what it says on the tin and get the hype going!

I have no idea of the story and I've never touched any of the extended universe Star Wars stuff so no idea whats going on.
    You should read the Thrawn trilogy, better than the original trilogy, Thrawn is the best character in that universe. Its a great story even if you're not mad about Star Wars:

Thrawn-Trilogy.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭BGOllie

oh yeah. love the extended universe. building myself a nice collection on that too (that and the AD&D forgotten realms novels)

The original trilogy aside, Star War's is so much better when stupid Lucas isn't involved.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

JJ Abrams is perfect for Star Wars. His penchant for wild spectacle, his vivid and energetic visuals and editing (and the appropriate collaborators are along for the ride, thankfully) and the fact that he's a ****ing fantastic director of actors (something Star Wars desperately needs) has me far more confident than the eye-roll with which I greeted the initial announcement of a new trilogy. I'd almost say Rian Johnson is too good for the franchise - I'd rather he keep making original fare. But Star Wars is made for Abrams, even his work on Star Trek was more tonally in-tune with what the other main 'Star' franchise should be. Free of Orci, Kurtzman and Lindelof, too, who I think most of the criticisms of Star Trek (lens flair aside) can be attributed to - although, frankly, I'd rather they be let near Star Wars than George Lucas.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

On a gamey note, picked up a copy of Super Smash Bros (sadly without GC adapter, which seems like gold-dust at the moment!) today and it struck me again what a great year this has been for local multiplayer. Obviously Mario Kart 8 and SSB, but also Towerfall Ascension, Sportsfriends, Nidhogg etc... All a joy to play with a couple of friends over, even if MK is 'unplayable' at 30FPS in 4 split-screen ;)

Although all Nintendo needs to do is release a full-on expansion to Mario Chase in 2015 to top this year!

JJ Abrams is perfect for Star Wars. His penchant for wild spectacle, his vivid and energetic visuals and editing (and the appropriate collaborators are along for the ride, thankfully) and the fact that he's a ****ing fantastic director of actors (something Star Wars desperately needs) has me far more confident than the eye-roll with which I greeted the initial announcement of a new trilogy. I'd almost say Rian Johnson is too good for the franchise - I'd rather he keep making original fare. But Star Wars is made for Abrams, even his work on Star Trek was more tonally in-tune with what the other main 'Star' franchise should be. Free of Orci, Kurtzman and Lindelof, too, who I think most of the criticisms of Star Trek (lens flair aside) can be attributed to - although, frankly, I'd rather they be let near Star Wars than George Lucas.
    But like I said, if there's anyone who needs to give Star Wars a swift kick up the bum, it should be someone bold and creative who would actually do something daring that might change the outlook of what a Star Wars movie should be instead of giving the fans what they think they want in the form of a superfiscial attempt at resembling one of the Original Trilogy movies. Because Abrams is not that kind of person. Give it to someone, like, say...Joe Cornish and we'll talk.

And if you're looking for an Abrams movie which is unburdened by his friends...well, there's Super 8, but the second half ruined the film for me. First half was decent enough, but that's all that is. And that's all I expect Episode VII to be. Just decent. Nothing controversial about it. Just enough on screen to woo the audiences before they forget about it an hour later, because of that lack of something special (or just something if we're talking Prequel) in the movie. And no, not even the inclusion of Lawrence Kasdan isn't doing much for me, considering his more recent work, but I'm sure he'll do a bit better, given that this is his comfort zone.

And if you really are wanting a Star Wars movie that is more in line with the Originals...well...I would have picked Joe Johnston.

Star Wars is a big-budget sequel to the most valuable 'franchise' in cinema history. It is also being produced by Disney. Frankly, there's only so bold, creative and radical it is ever going to be. If you're looking for genuine daring, go check out Goodbye to Language 3D or A Spell to Ward Off the Darkness. Luckily, JJ Abrams is one of the few directors who seems to genuinely strive in the ever more restrictive realm of blockbusters, his aesthetic style perfectly suited to the light-hearted space operatics Star Wars has always been. Let him at it, and let the braver, more ambitious directors keep making the films they want to make. A vast majority of great even mainstream directors, TBH, are better than Star Wars.

• Advertisement

Star Wars is a big-budget sequel to the most valuable 'franchise' in cinema history. It is also being produced by Disney. Frankly, there's only so bold and creative it is ever going to be. Luckily, JJ Abrams is one of the few directors who seems to genuinely strive in the ever more restrictive realm of blockbusters, his aesthetic style ideally suited to the light-hearted space operatics Star Wars has always been. Let him at it, and let the braver, more ambitious directors keep making the films they want to make. A vast majority of great even mainstream directors are better than Star Wars.
    I still don't feel that Abrams really is good enough for the franchise. But to me, at this point, I feel that Star Wars needs to evolve or die. Because having one that's just by the numbers without any real meaning is exactly what Hollywood wants.

And as your suggesting that Abrams' friends be let near Star Wars rather than George Lucas...need I remind to you that two of those guys just happen to write these movies...

The Island.
    The Legend of Zorro.
    Transformers.
    Cowboys and Aliens (with the addition of Lindelof).
    The Amazing Spiderman 2.
    Star Trek Into Darkness (Lindelof again).

Yeah, with this set of movies under their belt, I doubt that I would ever want them near a Star Wars movie. Especially considering that the one who just happens to be a 9/11 truther (and no doubt responsible for those parallels to show up in Into Darkness) is now helming the Trek movies in what's supposed to be his directorial debut.

I wont be expecting much from the new Abrams Star Wars films myself. Even the trailer reeks of Abrams style so I expect it to be filled with half arsed Josh Whedon wannabe dialogue (and I'm not that big a fan of Josh Whedon as his zealots). He can make an entertaining film though so that's all Ill be expecting, which isn't a bad thing.

It's Star Wars - a franchise defined by being entertaining nonsense. That's all I would ever expect :pac:

And hey sub-Whedon smartassery is better than the barely speakable, mechanical claptrap George Lucas farts out in lieu of actual dialogue.

It's Star Wars - a franchise defined by being entertaining nonsense. That's all I would ever expect :pac:

And hey sub-Whedon smartassery is better than the barely speakable, mechanical claptrap George Lucas farts out in lieu of actual dialogue.
    Ehhh. If The Avengers is supposedly the high point of blockbuster dialect, then I do think I need to reevalulate people on what makes a funny, because I did not laugh once though out. Although I will give you that, it's better than having someone tell us that they don't like sand. Though, when it comes to ideas, George is still on top.

I'd still take George Lucas heavily edited by his ex wife over Whedon/Abrams wisecracking. It wasn't Shakespeare but at least it didn't have the forced (ho ho) feeling of Whedon/Abrams dialogue. That won't be happening anytime soon though.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I'd still take George Lucas heavily edited by his ex wife over Whedon/Abrams wisecracking. It wasn't Shakespeare but at least it didn't have the forced (ho ho) feeling of Whedon/Abrams dialogue. That won't be happening anytime soon though.
    I think that was the problem. It seemed like anytime they busted out a quip, the actors seemed inclined to almost go "Eh? EH!?" after, expecting us to laugh.

God lads, Lucas hasn't directed a great film since American Graffiti.
    I was reading an article recently that suggested that the reason Star Wars was as good as it was was due more to the art of the film editor rather than anything else.
    Prior to that the film was far poorer, and this is also reflected in the reception of Phantom Menace and the lack of the editors touch. And when you see how decent The Phantom Edit turned out, you see how it could have turned out if it wasn't for Lucas being pandered to.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    God lads, Lucas hasn't directed a great film since American Graffiti.
    I was reading an article recently that suggested that the reason Star Wars was as good as it was was due more to the art of the film editor rather than anything else.
    Prior to that the film was far poorer, and this is also reflected in the reception of Phantom Menace and the lack of the editors touch. And when you see how decent The Phantom Edit turned out, you see how it could have turned out if it wasn't for Lucas being pandered to.

amen. I've said it before. Star Wars is much, much better when Lucas doesn't get involved.
    Can't get worse than Episode one or two. Take out the SW setting out of it and these are horrible, horrible sci-fi movies.

Pod Race, Ben Hur homage/steal that it was , was brilliant, almost worth turning up for the rest of the mess. The fight scene at the end defined what a light sabre battle could look like after the rather slow paced affairs of the original trilogy.
    I can't think of a similar highpoint in EP 2, maybe the slaughter at thr end, and Yoda kicking With backside...
    Episode 3 seemed to find its mojo but everytime Anakin opened his gob another poorly written piece of dialogue fell out, poorly delivered.

• Advertisement

yeah. however the films were very much written as a setup for these scenes and I know enough about scripts to know that all Lucas did was write in his script : "A battle/race between Bob an Joe ensues" ... the rest is left to the story boarders, fight choreographers, and visual art directors.
    ...can you tell I haven't much love for the guy :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement