Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arcade and Retro General Chat in Karkariko Village Tavern: Live Ocarina Music

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,886 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I was reading an article recently that suggested that the reason Star Wars was as good as it was was due more to the art of the film editor rather than anything else.

Yeah his first wife Maria Lucas was the editor but also contributed massively to make the script better which is why I mentioned her and why it's unfortunate we'll never get that pairing again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

Argh... Evil Within takes a turn for the worse again on Chapter 10. If Chapter 9 hadn't been so damn good I'd probably have given up by now.

Stuck at a bit where you have to shoot levers on the ceilings to set off a trap to hit a boss that is underneath it... the trouble is thanks to the stupid letterboxing you can't see both the ceiling and where the boss are at the same time. The letterboxing has broken a basic game mechanic of the boss fight. I'm going to beat it, but it won't feel in any way satisfying to have beaten it... compare that to some of the difficult boss battles in Dark Souls where you feel great after you finally manage to win.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

DinoRex wrote: »
    Argh... Evil Within takes a turn for the worse again on Chapter 10. If Chapter 9 hadn't been so damn good I'd probably have given up by now.

Stuck at a bit where you have to shoot levers on the ceilings to set off a trap to hit a boss that is underneath it... the trouble is thanks to the stupid letterboxing you can't see both the ceiling and where the boss are at the same time. The letterboxing has broken a basic game mechanic of the boss fight. I'm going to beat it, but it won't feel in any way satisfying to have beaten it... compare that to some of the difficult boss battles in Dark Souls where you feel great after you finally manage to win.

The last switch is very hard to spot in a panic. I actually killed the boss outright because I could never see it. Once I had nothing chasing me I seen it straight away. You need to set her alight by luring her under the valves and shooting them, this gives you time to run/shoot another valve. You can also time a match on a body to set her alight too. Anything fire based will stop her for a while and deal big damage. The garpob bolts at lv 5 are well worth saving for, they are fantastic.

The game picks up again after that I thought but yeah that boss fight had me raging too.

It wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't for the fact she can kill you instantly.

And then it throws into another boss battle where you're fighting the camera more than the boss.

Chapter 11 seems pretty cool so far though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

I find the whole "Star Wars is better if Lucas isn't involved" a bit odd, as it's kinda paradoxical in that it was the universe that he created. Though I do say that it would be better if he had less control over it, I don't think he should be fully removed from it. Empire is a prime example of that.

So...anyone else watching Red Dwarf on Dave right now?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I don't think he should be fully removed from it.

I do, he's an utter disaster. Complete & total. The many testaments to this leave little doubt.

Myrddin wrote: »
    I do, he's an utter disaster. Complete & total. The many testaments to this leave little doubt.
    Utter disaster? I don't recall him ever making Amazing Spiderman, no I do not.

I'm just saying he should have the same role that he had in the latter two Originals and in the Indy movies. Hard to go wrong there.

Utter disaster? I don't recall him ever making Amazing Spiderman, no I do not.

I'm just saying he should have the same role that he had in the latter two Originals and in the Indy movies. Hard to go wrong there.

True, but Attack of the Clones nullifies any & all arguments in defence of Lucas :D

True, but Attack of the Clones nullifies any & all arguments in defence of Lucas :D
    Meh. Still better than *insert any arachnid related superhero movie produced by Sony after 2007 here*.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,265 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I found Episodes I&II to be so dire that I still haven't watched III. Just cant face sitting through another one of them. Planks of driftwood would have made a more engaging cast.

• Advertisement

o1s1n wrote: »
    I found Episodes I&II to be so dire that I still haven't watched III. Just cant face sitting through another one of them. Planks of driftwood would have made a more engaging cast.
    But...don't you want to hear about the lead character's displeasure of sand?

Meh. Still better than *insert any arachnid related superhero movie produced by Sony after 2007 here*.

I'm not into superhero stuff so can't comment on that, but AotC was really, really, really, dire.

Episode 3 actually is the best of the lot (in prequel terms). It's still not what it should be, but it's the darkest & closest to the tone set by the originals anyway.

But...don't you want to hear about the lead character's displeasure of sand?

Apparently, it gets everywhere.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

If Nerdkiller and Amazing Spiderman were the stars of a screwball comedy, they'd totally hook up at the end.

If Nerdkiller and Amazing Spiderman were the stars of a screwball comedy, they'd totally hook up at the end.
    Naaa. This is the one where they completely subvert the ending. They still hate they hell out of each other.

Episode 3 is the absolute worst because they pissed away all the good work the Clone Wars cartoon series did. General Grievous was built up as an amazingly competent character in the series, but then he's just a complete useless joke in the movie.

Please. Can we just stop pretending that the Prequels were the worst things ever? I mean, they're not good, but they don't deserve the amount of vitriol thrown at them.

Please. Can we just stop pretending that the Prequels were the worst things ever? I mean, they're not good, but they don't deserve the amount of vitriol thrown at them.

3580810-9049500674-jar-.j.jpeg

3580810-9049500674-jar-.j.jpeg
    Hey. Just because they're not the worst things ever doesn't make me exempt from making fun of them.

Master of the Universe

The two I saw were the worst things ever...

Here's a photo of Anakin, Amidala and Obi-Wan from one of the Phantom Menace cut scenes.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRQ-NNo1hXfDrxZYXKrZ9yccy_e5wCvMFO9TwaUDfF_d6_dJ775

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Hold on til I pull up a chair.

dear-eating-popcorn-gif.gif

Ok proceed... :D

The two I saw were the worst things ever...

Here's a photo of Anakin, Amidala and Obi-Wan from one of the Phantom Menace cut scenes.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRQ-NNo1hXfDrxZYXKrZ9yccy_e5wCvMFO9TwaUDfF_d6_dJ775
    All I see are Retro, Atavan and the mother of Ed, Edd 'n' Eddy's Plank. Though I don't suppose they aren't too dissimilar.

Also, you're not serious about the whole "worst things ever", aren't you? Because I feel that you should give this a watch.

Master of the Universe

Sorry, but that's a terrible video. Watched the first half, had to turn it off. All I hear is someone who seems to think that his new 'hipster thing' is to think that the Phantom Menace isn't a terrible film. His explanation is absolute garbage - like the first two Star Wars films.

This isn't coming from a basement dwelling Star Wars fan by the way, I don't particularly like Star Wars films. But I can still see the budget they had, the talent at their disposal, from designers to actors and the absolute sh1t sandwich they produced makes it legendarily bad.

Sorry, but that's a terrible video. Watched the first half, had to turn it off. All I hear is someone who seems to think that his new 'hipster thing' is to think that the Phantom Menace isn't a terrible film. His explanation is absolute garbage - like the first two Star Wars films.

This isn't coming from a basement dwelling Star Wars fan by the way, I don't particularly like Star Wars films. But I can still see the budget they had, the talent at their disposal, from designers to actors and the absolute sh1t sandwich they produced makes it legendarily bad.
    He never said it was a good film. He just said that it wasn't this unholy, unclean thing that many people make it out it be. He still thinks that it wasn't a good film. Hell, he even says that Episode II is indeed a bad film.

Also, with the way you said it, I doubt that you actually went even half way. The first minute more like.

Master of the Universe

I watched it to 3:16 (It's a 6:36 minute video, so that's actually almost bang on half way!) when he puts it in the same league as Batman and Batman returns. That is the moment I realized he hadn't a notion what he was talking about and turned it off.

I watched it to 3:16, when he puts it in the same league as Batman and Batman returns. That is the moment I realized he hadn't a notion what he was talking about and turned it off.
    Hold on, let me find his videos for both of those where he explains why.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,886 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The only people that could equate the Burton Batman films to Episode One are Nolan zealots that can't accept Dark Knight Returns was a load of arse.

Master of the Universe

Those two Batman ones are particularly humorous after watching the Phantom Menace one.

In the Star Wars video he basically flips fanboys the bird and tells them to grow the **** up and that it's not a bad film.

In those two Batman videos he is the childish fanboy and literally turns into Comic Book Guy.

'The Penguin doesn't fit the image from the comics!
    Catwoman isn't actually a lunatic in the comics, she's less crazy than Batman!
    Batman shouldn't be murdering people! he doesn't do this in the comics! He's not meant to enjoy it! This film is too violence and perverse!

I couldn't give a fiddlers how faithful they are to the Batman comics (and either should someone who considers themselves a film critic) they're great films.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    The only people that could equate the Burton Batman films to Episode One are Nolan zealots that can't accept Dark Knight Returns was a load of arse.

Yeah, I wouldn't want to touch anything by Frank Miller myself.

And yeah, Nolan fans are just irritating. Inception isn't even that good of a movie. Fun once, but then, like all his others, their flaws start to unveil themselves upon rewatch.
    Those two Batman ones are particularly humorous after watching the Phantom Menace one.

In the Star Wars video he basically flips fanboys the bird and tells them to grow the **** up and that it's not a bad film.

In those two Batman videos he is the childish fanboy and literally turns into Comic Book Guy.

'The Penguin doesn't fit the image from the comics!
    Catwoman isn't actually a lunatic in the comics, she's less crazy than Batman!
    Batman shouldn't be murdering people! he doesn't do this in the comics! He's not meant to enjoy it! This film is too violence and perverse!

I couldn't give a fiddlers how faithful they are to the Batman comics (and either should someone who considers themselves a film critic) they're great films.
    Again, he didn't say that it was a good film. Just not an abomination.

Plus, all you really need to get down on screen are the fundamentals as to what made the character work on print. Afterwards, you can do whatever the hell you want when adapting a character.

I will say this, I disagree in his thought on him considering that The Avengers is one of the best comic movies out there...and that Simpsons two parter where he says the Simpsons is still funny but stopped being for others because society has moved on from the whole nuclear family role that once dominated television...but at least I watched the whole way through before coming up with an opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

He never said it was a good film. He just said that it wasn't this unholy, unclean thing that many people make it out it be. He still thinks that it wasn't a good film. Hell, he even says that Episode II is indeed a bad film.

Films like the Star Wars sequels/prequels simply cannot be taken in isolation.
    They represent chapters of an overall story and a quality is demanded in each.
    The films just don't reach that standard, at least the prequels don't.
    No, they are not the worst films ever made but, with the weight of expectation as members of one of the most beloved franchises in cinema, they blew it big time.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Films like the Star Wars sequels/prequels simply cannot be taken in isolation.
    They represent chapters of an overall story and a quality is demanded in each.
    The films just don't reach that standard, at least the prequels don't.
    No, they are not the worst films ever made but, with the weight of expectation as members of one of the most beloved franchises in cinema, they blew it big time.
    That's all I really need to hear. Because honestly, if the Prequels were any different kind of movie trilogy, we wouldn't really be hearing about how they ruined anyone's childhood (which is a stupid analogy that implies that you never had a good childhood to begin with if Star Wars was all that you ever had). It just be that one series of movies that had good ideas, but hokey in its execution.

Aliens is on sky 1. A real sci fi film and not that space opera muck.

Meh.

Actually, no, it's a damn good movie. It's just not in my sci fi holy trinity (that would be 2001, Alien and Blade Runner).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

Battlefield Earth not in that trinity?

Battlefield Earth not in that trinity?

Ooop. Better make it a quadrilogy then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

We need less Star Wars and more money for public schools
    89909_abf09b60737d3affbda958994f59961b.jpeg

Was watching some of it there. Shame it's not the proper (special) edition though. I know most of the words in that film. :o

Not far off 30 years old it is now. :eek: I remember the older brother renting it out from the video shop for me but having to bring it back as it wasn't suitable. :(

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Was watching some of it there. Shame it's not the proper (special) edition though. I know most of the words in that film. :o

Not far off 30 years old it is now. :eek: I remember the older brother renting it out from the video shop for me but having to bring it back as it wasn't suitable. :(
    It's available on Sky On Demand if you want to see it.

I remember first seeing the movie when I was at Trabolgon where they incidentally had Sky Movies there and I thought seeing Ripley use the power walker to fight the Xeno Queen was one of the coolest things I've ever seen.

I think the regular edition is a far better movie. Much better pacing and suspense. I feel some of the new scenes slow the film down or plain spoil the suspense of the film, the whole colonist scene being the biggest culprit. That's not to say the special edition is crap. I recommend anyone seeing it for the first time to watch the original cut. The special edition is for subsequent viewings to expand on what's there.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

As ever, Alien >>> Aliens.

For proper modern sci-fi, Upstream Color is on Netflix ;)

• Advertisement

Meh. Idiocracy is proper modern sci fi.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

I'm pretty sure we already had this conversation , but you cant compare them directly , Alien is a Horror Movie where people are picked off one by one , whereas Aliens is a War Movie (insert >vietnam symbolism here<).
    Alien 3 was a mess but a watchable mess and everything since has basically been a big pile of ****.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Hmm, I love Aliens, it's a great film, not sure it's a great sci-fi film though, not that much sci-fi in it, the sci-fi window dressing is there sure, but aside from that it's a war movie mostly.
    Science fiction, at least good stuff, seldom found it's way successfully onto the big screen, there just isn't the time to tell a tale properly.
    Even Alien was a reconfiguration of a scary story in a WWII bomber, as the crew are butchered by an unseen assailant/gremlin.

Proper sci-fi is 2001, Silent Running, Primer, Oblivion, Moon, Bladerunner and so on.
    TV is a better home IMHO, with the likes of Twilight Zone pioneering the format and remaining still watchable and brilliant even today.
    BSG (reboot) also showed that the TV format could, in hour long episodes, tell great scifi and not dress it up as a chin scratching morality tale, like Star Trek seemed intent on doing each week.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Ehhh. If The Avengers is supposedly the high point of blockbuster dialect, then I do think I need to reevalulate people on what makes a funny, because I did not laugh once though out.p.

ah come on ..seriously not even the Puny God bit?
    ;)

It's available on Sky On Demand if you want to see it.

I remember first seeing the movie when I was at Trabolgon where they incidentally had Sky Movies there and I thought seeing Ripley use the power walker to fight the Xeno Queen was one of the coolest things I've ever seen.

You can do it in the Konami arcade game too if you get that far. Twice if you're very good. :)

One credit I'm talking about ofc.

Dr Bob wrote: »

ah come on ..seriously not even the Puny God bit?
    ;)
    Naaa. Like Retro said, all the funny bits come off as forced and quite a few action scenes (like Hulk punching the snake thing) just scream "LOOK AT HOW AWESOME THIS IS, PEOPLE! DO YOU NOT SEE THE AWESOME THAT IS THRUSTED IN FRONT OF YOU!?" in the way that only geeks will wet their pants for. Hell, I didn't even laugh at the end credits bit (even though I really should have given the context). In the end, Avengers is average at best.
    You can do it in the Konami arcade game too if you get that far. Twice if you're very good. :)

One credit I'm talking about ofc.
    What? Play as the power walker?

What? Play as the power walker?

If you make it to end you can use it to throw the Queen out of the airlock rather than trying to kill her with the basic weapon (takes ages using that method). You can also use it earlier in the game for a little bit.

If you make it to end you can use it to throw the Queen out of the airlock rather than trying to kill her with the basic weapon (takes ages using that method). You can also use it earlier in the game for a little bit.
    I see.

And hey, we're actually talking about games again.

That Aliens game was so bviously supposed to be a Contra game but considering how much Contra robs from Aliens it's only appropriate. It's a decent game and good fun at the start but I feel it runs out of steam and good ideas far too early.

Capcom's Alien vs Predator though is a completely different matter. It's up there with the dungeons and dragons games as the finest belt scrolling beat em ups ever. The combos in that game feel like they informed the design of Devil May Cry.

That puny god scene was fantastic!
    One of the great scenes if the film and was in no way forced.
    Honestly, it just comes off as contrary for contrarys sake if you have issue with that.
    A quintessentially hipster POV tbh, everyone else loves it so I must pay it no regard.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement