Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arcade and Retro General Chat in Karkariko Village Tavern: Live Ocarina Music

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

Godamned turret section in the final boss fight in Evil Within... the only way it could have been worse is if they forced me to do a sliding block puzzle.

I've never encountered a game be such garbage but also really brilliant at the same time... it's like completely different teams were making every second chapter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    That puny god scene was fantastic!
    One of the great scenes if the film and was in no way forced.
    Honestly, it just comes off as contrary for contrarys sake if you have issue with that.
    A quintessentially hipster POV tbh, everyone else loves it so I must pay it no regard.
    "I disagree with your opinion, therefore to must be a hipster thing". Way to continue to dilute that term of whatever meaning it had left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Tomo.Murphy

I enjoyed the Avengers movie. The humour did feel a bit forced though, kind of like 'pause, this is where you're supposed to laugh, now continue'. Still, I had a little chuckle here and there.

I bought the DVD box set cheap, but I've enjoyed it less and less each time I've watched it. I much preferred the standalone movies. I think they spent too much time on the how they got together scenes and too little on the actual threat of the movie.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Fine, remove the hipster phrase if you must but my opinion remains.
    And, it does seem to be the enduring opinion of most, including those who like their films, like me.
    The observation that the comedy in Avengers is "forced" is very much a minority view and seldom heard.
    And, if we accept that the defining feature of the Hipster is to try to be "cool" by adhering to the unpopular and anachronistic whilst eschewing the popular and mainstream/up-to-date then, in fact, it is as valid a description of your opinion of Avengers as anything else.
    But if you must then we can say simply you are mistaken.
    Or at least, in my opinion you are mistaken.

People need to lighten up just a bit.
    The MCU films, as an example, are certainly not trying to be art, they are an entertaining couple of hours in a darkened theatre and, even when they get it wrong, like with Iron Man 3, they still manage to pack enough in there to make it worth the ticket price.

I'm not sure how much fun you can have in the cinema if you find a director/writer who gives you a great seat on a thrill ride up on sceen just makes you yawn, critical and wonder what's next.
    Seems being too cynical just damages your own enjoyment tbh.

Fine, remove the hipster phrase if you must but my opinion remains.
    And, it does seem to be the enduring opinion of most, including those who like their films, like me.
    The observation that the comedy in Avengers is "forced" is very much a minority view and seldom heard.
    And, if we accept that the defining feature of the Hipster is to try to be "cool" by adhering to the unpopular and anachronistic whilst eschewing the popular and mainstream/up-to-date then, in fact, it is as valid a description of your opinion of Avengers as anything else.
    But if you must then we can say simply you are mistaken.
    Or at least, in my opinion you are mistaken.

People need to lighten up just a bit.
    The MCU films, as an example, are certainly not trying to be art, they are an entertaining couple of hours in a darkened theatre and, even when they get it wrong, like with Iron Man 3, they still manage to pack enough in there to make it worth the ticket price.

I'm not sure how much fun you can have in the cinema if you find a director/writer who gives you a great seat on a thrill ride up on sceen just makes you yawn, critical and wonder what's next.
    Seems being too cynical just damages your own enjoyment tbh.
    Because there really isn't anything there on screen that really elevates it as some sort of great movie. Yes, it's well made and fun...but that's really it. It took no real risks (hell, even Coulson's "death" feels cheap as he's all alive and well by the time Agents of SHIELD rolled onto tellys). Iron Man 3 had that aspect in The Mandarin, but I just wish it was it had a better made movie to go around with it (felt too flawed for my liking). Thor movies have nothing, Cap movies were great and Hulk, I've yet to bother watching. But I feel...wouldn't all these movies be better if they had something to say on top of being fun?

But in the end, they're no Spiderman 2.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,886 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Have to say I found the humour in the Avengers a bit forced as well. It felt like a stand up rather than it being natural. It's not really a bad thing though considering it worked mostly but it did have that Whedon smart assert vibe that grated a long time ago. Found the Avengers film just a lot of good clean fun entertainment, it's all it needed to be but it wasn't the god like amazing film some people make it out to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Its hard to put superheroes onto the big screen as what works on a book is harder to display a similar image on a big screen for people to take it seriously.

its why when you see comic book guys go batman is more realistic and anyone can be him well in truth if we are talking about things in a realistic sense batman would be a psychopath roaming around in a city no one wants to be living in and instead of spending his riches on building buildings to get people off the streets he dress like a batman and breaks peoples bones and spines and leaves them for dead.

I am more a marvel fan through xmen cartoon and spiderman cartoon as a kid aswell as the videogames but marvel knows how to direct with its audience with the tone and lighthearted tongue and cheek humour thats cool for both parent and kid.

I dont think you ever get a oscar worthy story from superhero movies but sure who want that anyways

I take a guardians of the galaxy 2 over batman v superman anyday :P

I get a headache just thinking about that Batman/Superman movie.

Man of Steel was deeply unpleasant to watch and I've sat through 4 Michael Bay Transformers movies in the cinema.

At least we have the awesome lego games these days so we aren't reliant on cash grab movie tie ins to play super hero games.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

One of my favourite Marvel pictures is The Punisher Warzone.
    That's probably saying more about me than if like!

But beyond that I'm with the two Burton Batman movies.

• Advertisement

Condorman is what it's really all about:

oooh Betty...

Man of steel was 13 year old call of duty fanboy dream movie but any sane person thats not hyped up on sugar would tell you the movie was sh!te.

All the religious theme surrounding the movie that superman was god , the father scene was stupid when he suggested
    that clark let the kids in the bus drown

the
    zod going to kill the family that could of a. ducked, b. walked away or c. crawled under the slowest heat vison ever.
    father death scene , no clark who cant die and faster than a speeding bullet dont go and rescue the people from the tornado or the dog I do it.

The Batman/Superman movie seems very crowded. It seems to follow the plot of the second Dark Knight Returns anime movie, with the rest of the justice league just shoehorned in. I can't imagine any way they can do it without it feeling rushed.

The Batman/Superman movie seems very crowded. It seems to follow the plot of the second Dark Knight Returns anime movie, with the rest of the justice league just shoehorned in. I can't imagine any way they can do it without it feeling rushed.

admittedly you should always be concerned when you see Zack Snyder name anywhere you know you are going to get a terrible movie :L

but yeah a supposedly was suppose to be a man of steel 2 movie became a movie thats catch up for justice league with really really stupid cast of actors for there roles

Gal Gadot as wonder woman ?
    Jessie Esienberg as lex ?
    Ben Affleck as BATMAN albeit I think Ben a great actor but the fact they opted for a older batman and a younger superman I reckon batman will be the mentor even though superman was the first superhero of superheroes :L
    then you have cyborg ?

thats just too many people

admittedly you should always be concerned when you see Zack Snyder name anywhere you know you are going to get a terrible movie :L

but yeah a supposedly was suppose to be a man of steel 2 movie became a movie thats catch up for justice league with really really stupid cast of actors for there roles

Gal Gadot as wonder woman ?
    Jessie Esienberg as lex ?
    Ben Affleck as BATMAN albeit I think Ben a great actor but the fact they opted for a older batman and a younger superman I reckon batman will be the mentor even though superman was the first superhero of superheroes :L
    then you have cyborg ?

thats just too many people

If you haven't seen the Batman anime movies have a look at them. They're great, and the first one can be picked up in HMV on blu-ray for around €5. In those movies Batman is 60+ and hasn't been active for years. Superman, who still looks a lot younger, is sent in by the president put a stop to him. I think they follow the storyline of the Frank Miller Batman graphic novel, but I've never read it.

If you haven't seen the Batman anime movies have a look at them. They're great, and the first one can be picked up in HMV on blu-ray for around €5. In those movies Batman is 60+ and hasn't been active for years. Superman, who still looks a lot younger, is sent in by the president put a stop to him. I think they follow the storyline of the Frank Miller Batman graphic novel, but I've never read it.

ah the dark knight returns , I read the book and got the first part on blu ray for free when I went to xtravision/hmv opening and picked up a blu ray player for a tenner :L.

I didn't like the book and picked up when tried to get into comic books , everywhere you go people recommended it as the best graphic novel , always appeared at no.1

cause you know batman doesnt kill anoyone but hes driving this thing and shooting gangs with supposedly rubber bullets

12474374672_SPLASH.jpg :L

• Advertisement

I am a fan of Watchmen, comic and film.
    I just don't get the hate the film gets.
    The Dark Knight Returns animated features are incredible.

I am a fan of Watchmen, comic and film.
    I just don't get the hate the film gets.
    The Dark Knight Returns animated features are incredible.

I did not like watchmen at all , I did not understand the ending and left me confused.

funny enough the screenplay was written by david hayter

Yeah, Man of Steel was just...errgh. I didn't hate it (well...most of it), but all the stuff, like having Supes as the chosen one in the hopes of restoring the Kryptonian race in a phony attempt at making some sort of destiny motive (As if just having Jor-El sending his son to Earth to be their protector isn't enough for them), his daddy issues with Jon and the mindnumbing fights just didn't work as a Superman movie.

Yeah, Man of Steel was just...errgh. I didn't hate it (well...most of it), but all the stuff, like having Supes as the chosen one in the hopes of restoring the Kryptonian race in a phony attempt at making some sort of destiny motive (As if just having Jor-El sending his son to Earth to be their protector isn't enough for them), his daddy issues with Jon and the mindnumbing fights just didn't work as a Superman movie.

they never explained why zod needed to build kypton on earth , granted superman had the codex but they took the blood they could of easily put krypton on mars or any other planet ?

I did not like watchmen at all , I did not understand the ending and left me confused.

funny enough the screenplay was written by david hayter
    Because,
    Rorschach was unwilling to let the truth be hidden. Even if it meant ending the peace between two nations who were at the brink of nuclear war against each other
    they never explained why zod needed to build kypton on earth , granted superman had the codex but they took the blood they could of easily put krypton on mars or any other planet ?
    You know, I never actually thought of that until recently.

• Advertisement

ah the dark knight returns , I read the book and got the first part on blu ray for free when I went to xtravision/hmv opening and picked up a blu ray player for a tenner :L.

I didn't like the book and picked up when tried to get into comic books , everywhere you go people recommended it as the best graphic novel , always appeared at no.1

cause you know batman doesnt kill anoyone but hes driving this thing and shooting gangs with supposedly rubber bullets

12474374672_SPLASH.jpg :L

The fight scene at the end against the leader was brilliant. I didn't think I'd like them as much as I did when I picked them up.

I didn't get anything free when I got the €10 player. I tried the one in Henry street first, got there just after 8am and people were walking around the shop carrying 6. Went upstairs and saw a woman strolling along with her friend, each with 3 under each arm and 3 in a pram saying "they're all gone"...

Ended up getting the Toshiba Smart blu-ray player in Xtra-Vision at the Ashleaf in Crumlin when that opened.

You'd probably find the 2nd part online cheap if you liked the first one. Easily some of the best movies I've watch this year.

The fight scene at the end against the leader was brilliant. I didn't think I'd like them as much as I did when I picked them up.

I didn't get anything free when I got the €10 player. I tried the one in Henry street first, got there just after 8am and people were walking around the shop carrying 6. Went upstairs and saw a woman strolling along with her friend, each with 3 under each arm and 3 in a pram saying "they're all gone"...

Ended up getting the Toshiba Smart blu-ray player in Xtra-Vision at the Ashleaf in Crumlin when that opened.

You'd probably find the 2nd part online cheap if you liked the first one. Easily some of the best movies I've watch this year.

Thee girl behind the counter was just like you want this batman blu ray for free , I was like O_O yes please :L

I get the second part sometime and give it a watch :L maybe the cartton does it better xD

Thee girl behind the counter was just like you want this batman blu ray for free , I was like O_O yes please :L

I get the second part sometime and give it a watch :L maybe the cartton does it better xD

Ha, nice. I wouldn't have minded something free myself. The second time around I was standing around outside in the cold for an hour and a half.

Yeah, it imagine it will. And they didn't try to cram the rest of the Justice League in just to build up to a JL movie....

Dc tv is just as poor that are not tied into its movies ?? leaves everything to be confused

like the flas tv show is not related to the movie , even the actor was like wtf ? after making 8 episodes right now.

Gotham was awful from what I seen
    Arrow is boring and trying to hard to be like TDK
    the flash is campy and to me not a very interesting character
    I remember loving smallville when I was 16-18 though hated superman up to that point was not till the series was over I thought the whole thing was terrible.

http://www.toplessrobot.com/2011/08/10_incredibly_stupid_things_smallville_gave_us_ins.php

There movie line up is so out of place its just trying to play catch up. who in there right mind is going to want to see a aquaman movie ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Sure everybody knows superhero film / TV culminated in the masterpiece that is Heroes.

:pac:

Sure everybody knows superhero film / TV culminated in the masterpieces that is Heroes.

:pac:

first season was amazing , second season was god awful xD

I like Arrow, and have been enjoying Flash so far, but it's a stupid idea to not tie it in to the movies. The actors in the show are doing a decent job, and the shows have been well received. To then say you will be releasing a movie in which these characters will be involved and not include the current actors who are playing the parts (and probably still playing the parts when the movie is released) is nonsense.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The Lucas version of the Force Awakens trailer is not subtle but is very funny:

The Lucas version of the Force Awakens trailer is not subtle but is very funny:

Not enough mentions of sand...or screaming Obi Wan.

first season was amazing , second season was god awful xD

Get de feckin ipods, my favourite line in that show.

• Advertisement

Wow
    Arrow is doing great in the ratings and the show is pretty great tbh.
    The Flash is lighter weight, so far, but with a better sense of humour than Arrow.

Gotham has been doing really well and has also been well received. I haven't started watching as yet but friends who have recommended it.

Constantine is doing good as well, another DC property.

In fact DC seem to better represented than Marvel, as much as I enjoy Shield it doesn't seem to be doing the numbers.

And as for the Movie Vs TV with The Flash and the like, in DC's case they are keeping them separate and it may simply not be an issue.
    With Marvel they are but then the show suffers as the big screen characters the viewing public love and the action on the movie screen simply aren't making their way to the TV show, while accept the difference it seems most people do not and are switching off, despite season 2 turning out to be a cracker.

Speaking of all this superhero/graphic novel tv and movies if everyone could generalise the best and worst superhero/graphic novel stuff they seen how would they rank ?

For me it would be

Tv good

Batman Animated Series
    Young Justice
    Xmen cartoon
    The amazing spiderman cartoon

Tv Bad
    Smallville

(have not watch enough arrow, flash or gotham to pass judgement)

Movies Good

Spiderman 1 and 2 (sam raimi)
    The Crow
    Sin City
    Batman Begins
    The Dark Knight Returns
    Guardians Of The Galaxy
    The Avengers
    Thor
    Tim Burton Batmans
    Iron Man 1
    Xmen 1 and 2

Movies Bad

Man Of Steel
    Superman Returns
    Superman 3
    Superman 4
    Dark Knight Rises
    Amazing Spiderman
    Captain America The First Avenger
    Iron Man 2 and 3
    Spawn
    Fantastic Four
    Xmen wolverine origins
    Green Lantern
    Spiderman 3

Meh group
    The Wolverine
    Xmen first class
    Watchmen

Speaking of all this superhero/graphic novel tv and movies if everyone could generalise the best and worst superhero/graphic novel stuff they seen how would they rank ?

For me it would be

Tv good

Batman Animated Series
    Young Justice
    Xmen cartoon
    The amazing spiderman cartoon

Tv Bad
    Smallville

(have not watch enough arrow, flash or gotham to pass judgement)

Movies Good

Spiderman 1 and 2 (sam raimi)
    The Crow
    Sin City
    Batman Begins
    The Dark Knight Returns
    Guardians Of The Galaxy
    The Avengers
    Thor
    Tim Burton Batmans
    Iron Man 1
    Xmen 1 and 2

Movies Bad

Man Of Steel
    Superman Returns
    Superman 3
    Superman 4
    Dark Knight Rises
    Amazing Spiderman
    Captain America The First Avenger
    Iron Man 2 and 3
    Spawn
    Fantastic Four
    Xmen wolverine origins
    Green Lantern
    Spiderman 3

Meh group
    The Wolverine
    Xmen first class
    Watchmen
    Wrong, wrong, WROOOOONG!

Wrong, wrong, WROOOOONG!

Hahahha read that kevin spacey as lex :pac:

You a fan of superman returns ?

What's really unfortunate is that you shower never mentioned the fantastic Judge Dredd, a superior comic book translation to the screen.
    And it pretty much takes a tinkle all over nearly every film in the list.

Hahahha read that kevin spacey as lex :pac:

You a fan of superman returns ?
    Actually yeah, kind of.

As for the others, the first two X-Men movies are merely average. I don't know why people keep on hyping up those movies as if they're really something. I was so disappointed when I sat down to watch X2 and I was like...that's it?

Thor and its sequel are a bhor, Cap 1 is great fun and Spidey 3, while flawed, has enough stuff in it to put it over the edge as a movie. Such as this.

And this.

And the action in general. Say what you will about the movie, it was never boring.

Which judge dredd are we talking about the sylvester stallone judge dredd or the 2012 judge dredd ?

The 90s version was ass and I was always getting mixed up between stallone judge dredd with demolishin man , even to this day

I thought cap 1 was boring and looked weird , thor was campy but I had a good time with it . I do not know how well xmen films hold up now since I have not watch them in years but I remember I enjoyed them quite abit :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,886 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'm sorry but Spiderman 3 was just dire.

• Advertisement

Which judge dredd are we talking about the sylvester stallone judge dredd or the 2012 judge dredd ?

The 90s version was ass and I was always getting mixed up between stallone judge dredd with demolishin man , even to this day
    YOU'RE ON TV!
    I thought cap 1 was boring and looked weird , thor was campy but I had a good time with it . I do not know how well xmen films hold up now since I have not watch them in years but I remember I enjoyed them quite abit :D
    Well, do it then. Even upon my first viewing, something was off about the first X-Men anyway.

I actually made a list on which comic/superhero movies were the best a few months back.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=125739326&postcount=975
    Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I'm sorry but Spiderman 3 was just dire.
    peterparkerdance_2.gif

Interesting , you are the first person I talked to that like superman returns , was is it you like about it if I may ask ?

I found the film to be really depressing in tone and the fact superman did not throw a punch throughout the whole film really made it boring for me.

Also the bit on lex kryptonite land he made , again the religious themes when he stabbed superman in the ribs is very similar to where jesus got stabbed when put on the cross.

Kate bonsworth as lois lane was really a poor choice in the casting calls , she was really dull.

Kevin spacey was the best thing about the movie but he is great in everything :L

Interesting , you are the first person I talked to that like superman returns , was is it you like about it if I may ask ?

I found the film to be really depressing in tone and the fact superman did not throw a punch throughout the whole film really made it boring for me.

Also the bit on lex kryptonite land he made , again the religious themes when he stabbed superman in the ribs is very similar to where jesus got stabbed when put on the cross.

Kate bonsworth as lois lane was really a poor choice in the casting calls , she was really dull.

Kevin spacey was the best thing about the movie but he is great in everything :L
    It's been quite a while since I last seen it, so I might need to refresh my memory in regards to what I liked about it.

It's been quite a while since I last seen it, so I might need to refresh my memory in regards to what I liked about it.

Thats grand :D

Why did you have to even ask that question?
    That's like saying you loved Captain America and being asked is the 1990 film or the First Avenger.
    Of course it's the Karl Urban feature for gods sake!
    Honestly now....

Why did you have to even ask that question?
    That's like saying you loved Captain America and being asked is the 1990 film or the First Avenger.
    Of course it's the Karl Urban feature for gods sake!
    Honestly now....

Point taken , you be surprised with some people regarding classics to reboots. I am across few people who prefer 2014 robocop to the orginal one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,265 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Anyone see the ad for Just Dance 2015? Odd thing, it's being released on both the WiiU and Wii. Not that it's my kind of game or anything, just thought it was bizarre to see a new Wii game. Must be the last one for the console?

It was always a big seller for the Wii.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,265 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Looks like there are two more games scheduled for it this year too.

Penguins of Madagascar Nov 25, 2014
    Disney Planes: Fire & Rescue Nov 4, 2014

Thought that was the Wii done by now tbh.

I was going to say 'it'll soon rival the PS2' for longevity of releases, but just read that PES 14 was released on the PS2 in September :eek:

Point taken , you be surprised with some people regarding classics to reboots. I am across few people who prefer 2014 robocop to the orginal one

:eek:

You have to remember just has big the Wii userbase is. The Skylanders and dancing games are not the most graphically challenging titles, so a Wii version is probably not much work and there's surely a big enough market out there of people who can't afford or have no interest in a more modern console.

I find it hilarious, though, that FIFA 15 got a Wii version... But no Wii U version :pac:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement