Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arcade and Retro General Chat in Karkariko Village Tavern: Live Ocarina Music

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,265 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Thargor wrote: »
    Lol I think I have a whole Parcel Motel unit to myself in Bray, never heard of congestion on them before, had to run home through a dodgy estate at midnight the other night with a new OnePlusOne shoved down my pants.

I take it that's Oldcourt that you were running through at midnight? :D

That's my local Parcel Motel too. Have never seen anyone else use it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,968 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Yep, I always seem to end up collecting late at night with a gang of local kids staring at me...

Master of the Universe

Thargor wrote: »
    Yep, I always seem to end up collecting late at night with a gang of local kids staring at me...

I always have these visions of the journey home with my goodies turning into a Streets of Rage level.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

o1s1n wrote: »
    I always have these visions of the journey home with my goodies turning into a Streets of Rage level.

What, badly animated with sh1te gameplay?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Well, still no sign of the book, but the reward arrived today for the artcade kickstarter. It’s some framed printed artwork, T-shirt and CD.
    The first one was lost by pmotel or he never sent it, still not sure.

myWSMOB.jpg

Now just have to see about the actual book I backed over a year ago :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

Steve SI wrote: »
    Well, still no sign of the book, but the reward arrived today for the artcade kickstarter. It’s some framed printed artwork, T-shirt and CD.
    The first one was lost by pmotel or he never sent it, still not sure.

myWSMOB.jpg

Now just have to see about the actual book I backed over a year ago :)

Oh I hope mine appears soon

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Yeah, I saw that this morning, looks pretty great.
    At the very least I can download the themes for my existing Sony consoles, make them all old school Playstation like.

Master of the Universe

Looks great, but I see the usual $ = € currency conversion in full swing there :( Makes it too expensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

That Pixels concert in the Sugar Club last night was very good by the way.

The Final Fantasy stuff was a highlight but ending on the scores from the Bioshock games was a bit weak as they're games that are known for their soundtracks and the score is pretty forgettable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭MrVestek

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    What, badly animated with sh1te gameplay?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Haha good things come in pairs!

Mostly because my second copy of the book arrived today, the replacement one for the first that was lost.

This one even cam with a glue stain on the cover that I removed but can still be seen a little :pac:

So now I'm left with 2 copies of the book

Same as yourself. Came home tonight to find a second copy of the book waiting for me. :pac:
    Will keep this one sealed, maybe worth a few bob down the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Same as yourself. Came home tonight to find a second copy of the book waiting for me. :pac:
    Will keep this one sealed, maybe worth a few bob down the road.

Or you could just give it to your neighbour as a Christmas pressie!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

Me cousin is on Second Captains right now if anyone cares.

Me cousin is on Second Captains right now if anyone cares.

I wish I was on my second captains. Second oil drum full of captain morgans that is.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Just played and watched Short Peace - the unusual game and film hybrid.

The film section - an omnibus of four anime shorts - is excellent. Overseen by Katsuhiro Otomo (who directs one segment) all the films are imaginative and beautifully drawn. Unusually for an anthology film, none of them feel like duds. A really pleasant surprise.

The game though... Ranko Tsukigime's Longest Day is made by the team behind Tokyo Jungle and Suda51, so it's as mad as you'd expect. Only the actual game is sort of ****. It's about 45 minutes long, and more than half the stages are basically the same thing - a fast but utterly shallow runner style game. The levels where they mix up the formula are worse, though - including a dreadful shmup boss for some reason. The controls are clunky, which obviously is a pain during the areas that demand more exact platforming (at least during the running sections it's hard to fail as the paths always branch ala Sonic)

All the game really has going for it is, bizarrely, the cutscenes. Things start off badly, full of the lazy tropes and fan service the short films completely avoid (there's a character with 'Moe' in her name, which is self-explanatory). But towards the end it dials up the insanity, and every cutscene is rendered in a completely different and quite fetching artstyle (including live action!). It's a surreal and stylish spectacle at times, but even then it all feels empty and confused. There's a satire of contemporary anime in there somewhere, but it's lost in the madness. That it's nonsensical goes without saying. On the plus side, there's a bizarre but amusing cameo from one of the developers' mascots ;)

A unique evening's viewing and playing, then, and worth a go, but the films are far and away the highlight of the Short Peace bundle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,063 ✭✭✭Doge

Motorstorm Apocalypse is the best damm racer i've played in a while, well worth the 8 quid from cex.

Only complaint is that i'm finishing first place on first go every time, hopefully it will get more challenging.

Can you not raise the AI difficulty?

For some reason I preferred Pacific Rift instead, and as for apocalyptic racers, little comes close to the arcade thrills of Split Second

Can you not raise the AI difficulty?

You can but you risk it going all Skynet/GlaDos on your ass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,063 ✭✭✭Doge

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    You can but you risk it going all Skynet/GlaDos on your ass.

Even for the festival mode? I must look into that.

I bought Pacific Rift a while back, and man are those graphics dated looking now!
    I didn't like it as much but it's pobably a slow burner as you start off with ****e vehicles , unlike being spoiled at the beginning in Apocolaypse.

It's certalnly not as thrilling as it's successor, the Skyline track is amazing,
    buildings collapsing at the start, tearing through office blocks and furniture on different floors and a helicopter trying to take you out!

Twisted Metal is probably the only other PS3 title comes near as a thrilling racer, or tracer - yes i just made that up! :p

06AF3BC9-80E7-4ABE-A476-CE0F4AB2D563_zpsyuvri7t1.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Ugh, having to manually choose your custom control scheme every time you want to play Smash Bros is an absolute pain. I always forget when I first boot it up :(

Ugh, having to manually choose your custom control scheme every time you want to play Smash Bros is an absolute pain. I always forget when I first boot it up :(

Is that on the wiiu?

Master of the Universe

Check out these clocks. They play pinball video thingies. Absolutely gorgeous so it is.

Apparently the lad in Sweden who made it sells them, but I can't find a link to buy one anywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

Check out these clocks. They play pinball video thingies. Absolutely gorgeous so it is.

Apparently the lad in Sweden who made it sells them, but I can't find a link to buy one anywhere.

I actually need one of those:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

I actually need one of those:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

What you said! If you find that for sale.. im in!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Me too! ****ing seriously need that!

Is that on the wiiu?

Yep! There's a little hidden submenu on the character select screen you have to choose every time you boot up the game to select your control profile. Inevitably, there'll almost always be a game when you forget to select it and have to quit when you realise jump is bound to the wrong buttons.

It's a tiny little thing, but then with perfectionists such as Nintendo tiny little UI oversights actually stick out like a sore thumb!

The cynic in me might even suggest it is done to promote Amiibo use - heck knows items so utterly useless need a helping hand ;)

• Advertisement

;) - Dat terminator trailer.. oh god no.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

Seeing that Sony Pictures hack go off in slow motion is something else. Here's the latest leak.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=945463

Yep! There's a little hidden submenu on the character select screen you have to choose every time you boot up the game to select your control profile. Inevitably, there'll almost always be a game when you forget to select it and have to quit when you realise jump is bound to the wrong buttons.

It's a tiny little thing, but then with perfectionists such as Nintendo tiny little UI oversights actually stick out like a sore thumb!

The cynic in me might even suggest it is done to promote Amiibo use - heck knows items so utterly useless need a helping hand ;)

That's a pretty basic feature to get wrong I would've thought, especially for a fighting game. You're not able to save your button layout?

Master of the Universe

keithgeo wrote: »
    ;) - Dat terminator trailer.. oh god no.

What is with so many modern films having what I can only describe as 'clean, attractive and young' characters cast in the lead roles? No actual consideration given to acting ability. The Hunger Games does The Terminator.

I'll just stick to rewatching that fan made T5 trailer.

Why is anyone caught out in attending a screening of a Sadler movie anymore?
    Even on tv people should be smarter than that and just avoid.
    Wedding Singer, probably the last time I enjoyed a film of his tbh, and most of that was nostalgia.

What is with so many modern films having what I can only describe as 'clean, attractive and young' characters cast in the lead roles? No actual consideration given to acting ability. The Hunger Games does The Terminator.

I'll just stick to rewatching that fan made T5 trailer.

Let's be honest, it's a Terminator film - since when have they been known for great acting?? Salvation had a few decent actors in it but no memorable performances.

• Advertisement

I think the mistake the studios make is thinking people want to see more Terminator movies when they actually want to see more James Cameron action movies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Well they have actually made a terminator movie worse than terminator 3 by the looks of this trailer

I never had any issue with 3. Thought it had a very good ending.

Salvation was utter garbage though.

To be honest I only really like the first film and the TV series.

Master of the Universe

Let's be honest, it's a Terminator film - since when have they been known for great acting?? Salvation had a few decent actors in it but no memorable performances.

Silence you! :pac:

There's 'Oscar winning' great acting, believable acting in which the actors do a great job of portraying their characters and then wooden 'can't act' acting in which actors are almost chosen more for their looks than their abilities.

Terminator 2 is clearly in the second category. Sure, Arnie is a walking lump of metal, but Linda Hamilton and Robert Patrick are absolutely brilliant in their roles.

For something to be a 'good film' there doesn't need to be Shakespearean levels of acting, but they definitely need to fit into the second category above. Unfortunately from what I've seen in this clip it doesn't reach those levels.

Remains to be seen obviously, but I don't have high hopes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Steve X2

I'd give the new terminator movie a shot...... Except it has Jai Courtney in it and I'm tired and sore from stabbing myself in the eyes when I see he's in a movie I've started watching.

He seems to be the current "Insert Default Human" in action movies these days :(

• Advertisement

I watch a lot of films, and I've never seen one Jai Courtney stars in, yet everybody seems to hate him.

Oh, I did see Jack Reacher. He must have been one of the actors who wasn't Werner Herzog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

the only thing the new terminator film has going for it is arnie and my beloved Emilia Clarke , such a goddess

Master of the Universe

the only thing the new terminator film has going for it is arnie and my beloved Emilia Clarke , such a goddess

She's far too 'Hollywood pretty' to be Sarah Connor though. And I mean that in the nicest possible way to Linda Hamilton. :pac:

Seems to be the way with a lot of leading roles in modern cinema. They're not allowed use 'real' people anymore, you have to at least be a 10/10 on the good look scales.

Silence you! :pac:

There's 'Oscar winning' great acting, believable acting in which the actors do a great job of portraying their characters and then wooden 'can't act' acting in which actors are almost chosen more for their looks than their abilities.

Terminator 2 is clearly in the second category. Sure, Arnie is a walking lump of metal, but Linda Hamilton and Robert Patrick are absolutely brilliant in their roles.

For something to be a 'good film' there doesn't need to be Shakespearean levels of acting, but they definitely need to fit into the second category above. Unfortunately from what I've seen in this clip it doesn't reach those levels.

Remains to be seen obviously, but I don't have high hopes.

Actually I tell a lie, Joe Morton put in a fairly decent performance as Dyson in T2 and Arnie was good as a cyborg, no acting ability needed there though! :pac:
    Still a good film of course.
    I watch a lot of films, and I've never seen one Jai Courtney stars in, yet everybody seems to hate him.

Oh, I did see Jack Reacher. He must have been one of the actors who wasn't Werner Herzog.

Some film buff you are, how have you not seen A Good Day to Die Hard yet?? ;)
    Awful awful film that. He was also in Divergent (annoying prat in that also).
    She's far too 'Hollywood pretty' to be Sarah Connor though. And I mean that in the nicest possible way to Linda Hamilton. :pac:

She's meant to be a young Sarah Conor though? Before she starting whoring herself about to any bloke she could learn survival skills or whatever from. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Nobody wants to pay to see mingers :)

He replaced Gerard Butler as rubbish male actor cast by committee.

I really enjoyed Jack Reacher though, great to hear a sequel is going ahead.

Master of the Universe

Actually I tell a lie, Joe Morton put in a fairly decent performance as Dyson in T2 and Arnie was good as a cyborg, no acting ability needed there though! :pac:
    Still a good film of course.

That bit where a riddled Dyson is gasping for his last few breaths before detonating the bomb gets me every time! :(

He's great in it alright, I love that scene in his house where Sarah turns into a mentaller.
    She's meant to be a young Sarah Conor though? Before she starting whoring herself about to any bloke she could learn survival skills or whatever from. :P

:D

The TV show was great, i was raging when they cancelled it as it was starting to find its legs.

I was hoping for a Beast Wizard spin off:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭moonlighting

newest episode of southpark (S18E09) has video game content in it. its about kids too lazy to play video games so just watch people on youtube play and comment on games. pewdiepie features in the episode https://www.youtube.com/user/PewDiePie

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement