Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arcade and Retro General Chat in Karkariko Village Tavern: Live Ocarina Music

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

Street fighter 5 exclusive for ps4 and oc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

Street fighter 5 exclusive for ps4 and oc
    The_O.C_Intro.jpg

?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

The_O.C_Intro.jpg

?

PC I presume.
    Planes, Trains on Film 4 later. Get in. :)

Andrew76 wrote: »
    PC I presume.
    OI KNOW, BRUV! I was just cracking wise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

The_O.C_Intro.jpg

?

9510eb8167d314e3be7e245a82708b29208dc78bea878a9615378529ed201373.jpg

:-)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,036 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,105 ✭✭✭Doge

If Duke Nukem Forever was Duke Nukem 3D. ;)

Yup, its an actual new mod released.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Retr0gamer wrote: »

That is amazing, how has no one figured that out before now??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

newest episode of southpark (S18E09) has video game content in it. its about kids too lazy to play video games so just watch people on youtube play and comment on games. pewdiepie features in the episode https://www.youtube.com/user/PewDiePie

I watched that episode

Anything that takes the piss out of Pewdiepew is good in my books. Absolutely cant stand him and lets plays in general. I watched 3 minutes of his Dark Souls Let Play and I was already trying to think of ways to kill myself with my cup of tea

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,652 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

http://www.siliconrepublic.com/innovation/item/39715-death-of-the-father-of-v

The man credited as “the father of video games” Ralph Baer has died at the age of 92. Baer invented the first home video games console , the “Brown Box”, which was rebranded as the Magnvox Odyssey in 1972.

Baer, a German immigrant to the US, laid the foundation for video games as we know them today.

As well as the first console Baer also developed the light gun, the world’s first video games peripheral, which came bundled with a shooting game.

Baer also designed the Simon pattern-matching toy, which is still available today and is the inspiration behind Google’s Chrome logo.

Born in Germany in 1922, Baer immigrated with his Jewish family from Germany on the eve of World War II.

He quit a factory job to do a correspondence course in radio electronics and served in US military intelligence in London during the war.

After beginning work with Sanders Electronics in the late 1950s Baer went on to secure more than 50 US patents and 100 worldwide patents.

He first began exploring the creation of video games while working as a defence contractor in the US in the 1960s.

Creator of new realms

The ‘Brown Box’ prototype which is on display at the Smithsonian Institution

Baer’s invention, the Brown Box, has pretty much set the template for what followed in terms of consoles like the Atari, the Nintendo and the Xbox and PlayStation consoles.

The first console to hit the market, the Odyssey, had no sound and was powered by batteries. It used translucent overlays to simulate colour graphics on TVs.

When it went on sale in 1972 it sold for US$100 and some 100,000 units were sold.

The device preceded the Atari 2600 console by five years and the rest they say is history.

Baer is also credited with designing some of the world’s earliest video games, including Ping-Pong, Handball and Soccer.

He was awarded the National Medal of Technology by US President George W Bush in 2006 for “his groundbreaking and pioneering creation, development and commercialization of interactive video games, which spawned related uses, applications, and mega-industries in both the entertainment and education realms.”

He was inducted into the National Inventors Hall of Fame in 2010.

Baer passed away at his home in Manchester, New Hampshire, on Saturday. His wife Dena Whinston passed away in 2006. They had three children and four grandchildren.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,652 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

A sad day indeed.
    With our hobby always portrayed as some sort of subversive counter culture by press scum like The Daily Mail it's plain to see its origins go back so far, and now we watch its founders pass away.
    Certainly the Brown Box was of vital importance but surely it was Atari who cloned the concept, repackaged it and sold it to the unwashed masses.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,832 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I was watching Jurassic Park on Blu-Ray last night, and I was flicking through the extras afterwards. The 'Making of Jurassic Park - The Game' feature caught my eye. I assumed they had dug through the archives and found a documentary of the making of the Mega Drive game or something, which would have been a great addition to the disc.

Turns out it was a glorified infomercial for the ****ty Telltale game from a few years ago :(

I was watching Jurassic Park on Blu-Ray last night, and I was flicking through the extras afterwards. The 'Making of Jurassic Park - The Game' feature caught my eye. I assumed they had dug through the archives and found a documentary of the making of the Mega Drive game or something, which would have been a great addition to the disc.

Turns out it was a glorified infomercial for the ****ty Telltale game from a few years ago :(
    You want to know something else...that game is actually now in canon with the rest of the series.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

I remember watching that film in the Carlton cinema on O'Connell St. when it first came out. The special effects were pretty damn impressive at the time especially the T-Rex. I know current day 3D isn't the most celebrated of things but I wonder would it have worked well for that film.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,036 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The special effects in Jurassic park are so good because the majority of the, are practical effects. I miss good practical effects, I was watching Aliens during the week and it looks better than any cgi blockbuster from recent times.

In other news Paul McCartney is in the Destiny expansion. And yes I had to check twice that I wasn't taking lsd when I heard that news.

Next, Leonard Cohen is the next voice of Sonic the Hedgehog!

Tom Waites will be playing Tails!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,245 ✭✭✭MrVestek

I just watched the video.

As a long time Beatles and Paul McCartney fan...

Bloody hell... that was cringeworthy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,388 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I absolutely hate when people put actors into videogames. It's completely ridiculous. A huge selling point of games is that you don't actually need actors and can create entirely new people. Why would you put an actor in a game? Other than being a giant publicity stunt of course.

That recent COD ad with Kevin Spacey in it made me want to punch the TV.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,832 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

2wrklja.png

Is he actually starring in the expansion, or is it just the music video?

One big piece of fan translation news happened recently. The Konami RPG Lagrange Point for the Famicom was finally fan translated, it's been 10 years since the project was started. Definitely going to give it a go, it has a great FM synth soundtrack thanks to the extra FM synth chip on the cart.

Also it seems Romhacking has finally gotten permission to start hosting MSX fan translations so it's much easier to find some of the big MSX translations like War of the Dead 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

So the online tracking on my package now says released from customs having been there since Friday. Haven't recieved a letter or anything for payment so might I be lucky or will the postman just ask for any amount owed?

Time to buy up all the amiibos, apparently Nintendo will be only doing a single production run of some of them.

Master of the Universe

On 10th December, a 1994-styled pop up store will be opening at 11am in London, packed with retro memorabilia

It took me 4 attempts to read that sentence until it made sense, kept reading it as;

On 10th December 1994, a styled pop up store will be opening at 11am in London, packed with retro memorabilia

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Time to buy up all the amiibos, apparently Nintendo will be only doing a single production run of some of them.

Afaik Marth, Villager and wii fit trainer amiibos have already been discontinued so I'd definitely be picking up those.

Manufactured rarity - no better way to sell a load of useless crap!

Good to hear they've been a hit for Nintendo, but still think they're absolutely pointless :)

o1s1n wrote: »
    On 10th December, a 1994-styled pop up store will be opening at 11am in London, packed with retro memorabilia

It took me 4 attempts to read that sentence until it made sense, kept reading it as;

On 10th December 1994, a styled pop up store will be opening at 11am in London, packed with retro memorabilia

I'd say there'll be crowds at that shop tomorrow if the Black Friday sales in the uk were anything to go by. £20 for one of those PS4's is a serious deal though!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Radiosonde

I'd say there'll be crowds at that shop tomorrow if the Black Friday sales in the uk were anything to go by. £20 for one of those PS4's is a serious deal though!

Maybe you get the PS4 for £20 but there's a £300 fee to leave the shop.

I just paid 22e for Marth amiibo (delivery inc.) I feel dumb.

@Twitch: Suikoden 1 & 2 have released on PSN and @InstallBase from @Konami are showing them off on http://twitch.tv/konami

http://t.co/qUB0dOY8cJ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

eddhorse wrote: »
    @Twitch: Suikoden 1 & 2 have released on PSN and @InstallBase from @Konami are showing them off on http://twitch.tv/konami

Isn't S1 the one with the most beautiful cover? It's like it was handed down from God himself
    http://static.giantbomb.com/uploads/original/0/2508/206066-suikoden_us.jpg
    I actually have it there in a gold frame loljkjk

Seriously though very happy to hear they'll be on PSN hopefully I can play them on vita.

eddhorse wrote: »

I'm really glad it's finally coming out on PSN because more people really need to play Suikoden 2. It's just such an incredible RPG and up there with Valkyrie Profile as the best RPG or even game on the PS1.

Suikoden 1 isn't all that bad either and relatively short for an RPG, clocking in at 15 hours.
    Sera wrote: »
    Isn't S1 the one with the most beautiful cover? It's like it was handed down from God himself
    http://static.giantbomb.com/uploads/original/0/2508/206066-suikoden_us.jpg
    I actually have it there in a gold frame loljkjk

The US boxart is god awful which is what I have, the PAL/JAP artwork on the other hand is just gorgeous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

I have my Samus and Villageer Amiibos already... would love to find Kirby though.

To be honest I find the new Smash game a bit bewildering... Took a while to find the menu option to access the Amiibo... seems to transfer data pretty slickly... but I haven't a clue what it's supposed to do, it adds a CPU character to matches as opposed to you being actually able to control it... again it's all very unclear.

I need Kirby, he's too popular to be canned!

Master of the Universe

Manufactured rarity - no better way to sell a load of useless crap!

Good to hear they've been a hit for Nintendo, but still think they're absolutely pointless :)

I hadn't heard of them myself until yesterday. So they're basically Nintendo themed Skylanders?

Yeah, I've enough tat around the house already without adding more to it :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

I just checked over most of them in the argos catalogue and they're all scarce.

I was going to pick up a starfox one and maybe donkey kong or kirby but pretty much all sold out. Theres a couple of them going in places like letterkenny etc but none anywhere near Dublin.

I know theres hassle getting marth and a couple of others but I thought the others would be in stock. :rolleyes:

Probably for the best. It'd be like a crack addiction for me.

Think I'll wait on the Wario one and pick up one other when its handy to get.

I also think the price point in most shops is madness for these bits of plastic. At least in argos you get two for €27 if you can find them in stock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Tomo.Murphy

I bought the Pikachu one, and my sister bought Samus with Smash Bros for me for Christmas, but I can't see myself getting any more.

I don't know why they're as popular as they are. I guess it's a cool feature having the ability to train up a character to play with/against, but they don't serve a purpose outside of that.

When I first saw them I didn't think Wii Fit Trainer would have moved at all, but I guess that's what happens when you manufacture rarity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

They're not just for Smash. Some unlock things in Mario Kart and Hyrule Warriors.

You can bet Wooly World will work with the Yoshi one.

Yeah, but the Hyrule Warriors one is like one of those mobile app "come back every day for a new prize" rewards, and MK8 is a one off use for a racing suit.

It cool that they have some extra uses outside of Smash, but to me it doesn't justify going out and buying a crap load of them. If they had a use like Disney Infinity or Skylanders, I'd probably buy a couple more.

Master of the Universe

I wonder are these accessing content that's already on the disc, or is it downloading additional content from the store?

If it's already on the disc I find that incredibly annoying - you've already paid for the game.

I'd assume it's either on the disc or was added in an update. I haven't played it yet, but from what I've seen it's just a quick scan and the suit is unlocked for use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭safetyboy

B4gFImZCQAEqyPe.jpg

just seen this on twitter, must get a PS4 now

I hear it's better on XB1, it's more cinematic at 30fps apparently....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Guy experiments on raises kid on old video-games.
    His son Eliot was born in 2004, so Baio has this week published the findings of his decade-long "experiment in forced nostalgia and questionable parenting." The point was to let his son explore the history of the medium and how it has transformed over the decades, maybe giving him an appreciation of older (or newer but cruder) games that he might otherwise have dismissed as relics.

http://kotaku.com/father-makes-son-play-through-video-game-history-chron-1669616589

So, uhhh...did anyone see that new Mad Max trailer?

So, uhhh...did anyone see that new Mad Max trailer?

Meh,
    I'm waiting for The Amazing Mad Max 2, supposed to be much better. ;)

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Meh,
    I'm waiting for The Amazing Mad Max 2, supposed to be much better. ;)
    I'd rather wait for The Amazingly Randy and his cock magic. Though I doubt that either movie would contain this.

iyWBbnVz1ShVw.gif

LOOK AT THAT GUITAR GUY ON THE LEFT!

jPcRgXr.gif

So much better than that Star Wars trailer from last week.

I'd rather wait for The Amazingly Randy and his cock magic.

Well, we are inclusive of all genders, religions, races and tastes in porn, so you're quite welcome here!

But, yes, the trailer looks incredible, all practical effects as well, not a CGI in sight.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement