Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arcade and Retro General Chat in Karkariko Village Tavern: Live Ocarina Music

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Last time I played an original Tomb Raider game (10 years ago, I'd estimate) it was already awkwardly outdated. I'm sure the pixel perfect jumping mechanics have only matured with age ;)

The first two, despite the tank controls, were the best, no?
    Up to the newer ones on the 360 at least AFAIK.
    I haven't played one since the 90's!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Last time I played an original Tomb Raider game (10 years ago, I'd estimate) it was already awkwardly outdated. I'm sure the pixel perfect jumping mechanics have only matured with age ;)

Tits got bigger, that's about the only improvement really..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Tits got bigger, that's about the only improvement really..

I had something to say but realised it's really not appropriate and would damage my standing here, such as it is......

These are not the "Tomb Raider tit gags" we're looking for...
    Move along.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

I quite enjoyed the Tombraider Games that came out on the 360. Especially the remake of the original, it was really well done.

The new one is really good, the controls are fantastic, they've really spoiled other games for me though, everything else feels super clunky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Underworld was fairly good. The new reboot is different, and a bit uneven (too shooty, needs more/better puzzles) but still enjoyable. If you've got a good computer, the TressFX look awesome...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

i enjoyed the ps1 games but it has been awhile since i played them.
    underworld was good

have yet to play the reboot but i should get around to it sometime

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

Personally I'm a fairly big fan of the series all in all even though it's had it's ups and downs (we don't speak of Angel of Darkness... ever!). Tomb Raider Anniversary was probably the best. A perfect blend of new and old, in my eyes. I started on Last Revelation last night, and you'd be amazed how quickly you fall back into the swing of using the old tank controls. They can be a pain when trying to position her in front of a small button or pick-up, but apart from that they're actually grand.

Oh, I also finished the lastest one last night. Damn fine game, I reckon, but it doesn't have much in common with the rest of the series.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,887 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    The first two, despite the tank controls, were the best, no?

The first one was outdated on release if you had an import N64, Mario 64 came out a few weeks before hand. The first one was good but after that I couldn't say that about them. It all got very combat focused and silly when the combat was far and away the worst thing in the game. Then they added stealth which managed to be even more broken than the stealth mechanics in Goldeneye.

Crystal Dynamics did a fantastic job of rebooting the series, it really needed it. Legend was enjoyable while Anniversary was superb. Not played the latest one or underworld but I plan on playing them once Dark Souls is finished.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Crystal Dynamics did a fantastic job of rebooting the series, it really needed it. Legend was enjoyable while Anniversary was superb. Not played the latest one or underworld but I plan on playing them once Dark Souls is finished.

Are you using DSfix? Got that up and running last night... finding the xbox controller an absolute pain to play with though, switching between trigger and bumper is very uncomfortable.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,887 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

DinoRex wrote: »
    Are you using DSfix? Got that up and running last night... finding the xbox controller an absolute pain to play with though, switching between trigger and bumper is very uncomfortable.

I did not even know about DSfix! I was wondering why I was having so much trouble summoning and being summoned. I even went into my router to try open the ports. Damn. I'll have to give it a go after the weekend. Fecking GFWL.

The 360 controller is ok for it but the game is clearly made for the PS pad. I've gotten used to it though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

deathrider wrote: »
    Personally I'm a fairly big fan of the series all in all even though it's had it's ups and downs (we don't speak of Angel of Darkness... ever!). I started on Last Revelation last night, and you'd be amazed how quickly you fall back into the swing of using the old tank controls. They can be a pain when trying to position her in front of a small button or pick-up, but apart from that they're actually grand.
    +1 a fan of TR myself but haven't played any of the new ones. I really liked LR but never finished it, it was always played at someone else's house, I dunno would I feel right playing it on my own lol.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I did not even know about DSfix! I was wondering why I was having so much trouble summoning and being summoned. I even went into my router to try open the ports. Damn. I'll have to give it a go after the weekend. Fecking GFWL.

The 360 controller is ok for it but the game is clearly made for the PS pad. I've gotten used to it though

The best thing it does is let you bump up the frame rate. Makes thing much smoother than the PS3 version.

Must try summoning with you at some point. Haven't gone too far into it yet... Rolling a Cleric Character for the first time and just beat the Taurus Demon.

I'm miles ahead. Got the lord Vessel and hitting the DLC (before retreating back out again). I'll have to sort out my connection problems first.

I went back and played sonic adventure again after the comments here on the arcade forum and I can see now alot of the problems people had with the game.

opening beach level had me pumping again but then by the time i made to the go kart level I was bored and shut off the dreamcast.

Boss battles are laughable and there was more than one occasion easy jumps were harder to pull off than my previous playthroughs

I don't feel the need to continue and finish it now ... finding it very boring now the later part of the game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Yeah but back in 1999 it was pretty impressive.

• Advertisement

Achilles wrote: »

i say it was , although i didnt play it till 2011

Achilles wrote: »

charadesninjatumblr_zps38f6d121.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭MrVestek

charadesninjatumblr_zps38f6d121.gif

Yes Kathy Griffen. As an aside you were never funny at any time, not even in 1999.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Ben Affleck is the new Batman!!!

Stop this gods damn planet as I wish to disembark :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

Steve SI wrote: »

Ehhh. At least I can understand what he says if he's to go under the cowl. Unlike this.

Also, Star Wars Episode VII will be shot on film. Still not sure about Abrams as director, since he's not a half mad visionary like Lucas was, but hey, I've always said that film is better than digital. I'm just more worried that he'll pander to the overentitled prequel haters once he makes the movie.

• Advertisement

I am happy with ben being announced as batman , way better than christian bale thats for sure

I am happy with ben being announced as batman , way better than christian bale thats for sure
    Probably not as Bruce Wayne, although I don't think they'll focus on that too much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

Sera wrote: »
    +1 a fan of TR myself but haven't played any of the new ones. I really liked LR but never finished it, it was always played at someone else's house, I dunno would I feel right playing it on my own lol.

I think the new ones have been great. The last three or four of them were fantasic fun. I'm enjoying getting back into LR, although the reasons I stopped playing it are coming screaming back to it- I'm getting all types of lost.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Steve SI wrote: »

'Interesting' choice alright, can't be any worse than Clooney was though.

I'm most curious to see how Batman and Superman can co-exist in the same film. Batman is a weedy waste of time when Superman is about.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Whoever is playing Batman is basically trivial when old Zack Snyder is behind the camera. The film is incredibly likely to be the same self-indulgent, misjudged tripe as its predecessor, although the Batman introduction is an inspired marketing ploy.

Watched Justice League: Flashpoint the other night and enjoyed it a lot. The version of Batman in that is pretty great... he's an alcoholic and uses. (It's set in an alternate timeline) Shame there wasn't more of the Flashpoint Joker in it though.

Whoever is playing Batman is basically trivial when old Zack Snyder is behind the camera. The film is incredibly likely to be the same self-indulgent, misjudged tripe as its predecessor, although the Batman introduction is an inspired marketing ploy.

"Hmm, I wonder what Batmobile he's gonna have?, and what scales the toys will be in, will it fit in with the rest of my cherry figure collection??" says fanbois all over America. foaming at the mouth at the collectibles on the way for the next movie, sold by foaming at the mouth studio and marketing exec's....

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Is that a dig at Man of Steel or something else?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Is that a dig at Man of Steel or something else?

Yes, but I'd apply the same sentiment in more general terms when it comes to the filmography of Mr. Snyder!

I still continue to enjoy Watchmen, though the game was poor, given the source material it rather unnecessary anyway, dare I say tinged in irony too...

• Advertisement

ben affleck would of done a better job directing aswell as starring imo

ben affleck would of done a better job directing aswell as starring imo

I'd say that's the most common thought since the announcement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

I've sent in an application to work for a promotion to manager. It's only maternity cover but It'll be a foot in the door and a new challenge anyway! All the team have been telling me to go for it so here's hoping!

I've sent in an application to work for a promotion to manager. It's only maternity cover but It'll be a foot in the door and a new challenge anyway! All the team have been telling me to go for it so here's hoping!

You know, as you begin your ascent to the upper echelons of management you are going to have to do some serious Facebook editing!

I don't change for anyone! Love me or leave me.

Actually I add very few people from work on Facebook anyway, prefer to keep work life separate as I'd have been fired a long time ago!

Kinda hard to be in a position of authority whilst simultaneously advocating giraffe sex on social networking services... Just sayin'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,266 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Good luck Atavan!

I'll echo the above statement about never adding anyone from work on Facebook, ever. If you really must, created a Linkedin profile and add them there instead.

Well, my son, jack, has become entirely addicted to Paper Mario games, at 6:50, shortly after I climbed out of the shower he was pestering me on how to tune the TV upstairs into the GC so he can play 1000 Year Door...
    And that's before he sees Paper Mario on the N64!
    Now I know how Oppenheimer felt :(

Now I know how Oppenheimer felt :(

tumblr_mraddiOnA71seji43o1_r1_500.png

• Advertisement

Ah Lucy.
    To see you tied to a post and burned to death is probably too good for you given the decades of torment you've provided for poor Chuck Brown (his friends call him Chuck)

Ah Lucy.
    To see you tied to a post and burned to death is probably too good for you given the decades of torment you've provided for poor Chuck Brown (his friends call him Chuck)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

Anybody see this? Possible Wii U Zelda Edition:)
    Around the 50sec mark, video seems to be getting pulled down.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x13kj2c_videogames

wwhdwiiui0spv.jpg

Saw that earlier on on Engadget,
    Linky Dink

Tequila is going down like water. Bitches ain't got **** on me.

Tequila is going down like water. Bitches ain't got **** on me.

And we're off....
    Where Oh where will the Atavan Drunken Merry-go-round stop this time???
    And will he finally have "The Sex"????

• Advertisement

And we're off....
    Where Oh where will the Atavan Drunken Merry-go-round stop this time???
    And will he finally have "The Sex"????

I've done the sex millions of Tina with myself.

I'd typically defend EA as I don't think they deserve half the abuse they get, but this is pretty shameless: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-08-22-fifa-14-on-vita-is-another-reskin
    "There will be a Vita version, and it'll be the same great gameplay," EA Sports' David Rutter told Eurogamer at Gamescom in Cologne. Asked whether that means it's the very same gameplay that appeared on FIFA's debut on the Vita, Rutter confirmed: "It's the same great gameplay and new kits."

Whether the reskinning of a two year old game will inspire EA to lower the premium price FIFA's had on the Vita in recent years remains to be seen. "I have nothing to do with the prices, but I'll be clear," said Rutter. "It's the same great gameplay. And obviously with any new kits."

It actually reads like a parody article.

Alcohol all the fu king way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,266 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

But it's the same great gameplay...isn't that all that matters?

You forgot the new kits!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement