Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arcade and Retro General Chat in Karkariko Village Tavern: Live Ocarina Music

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

I almost got kicked out of the night club for being drunk. But my friend saves me lol luv hur.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

You forgot the new kits!
    tumblr_mahp85tgvo1qauhek.png?w=300&h=195

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

Best day ever

• Registered Users Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

Sera wrote: »
    I WANT IT, I WANT IT, I WANT IT, I WANT IT, ME ME ME, I WANT IT, I WANT IT, I WANT IT!

I almost got kicked out if the night club for being too drunk by some foreign bloke. (Not racist) but the Irish bouncer said I was gran and said not to mind Him all was good.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Sparks43 wrote: »
    Best day ever

For why young Sparks, for why??

There wasn't a Boulder-Con on and I missed it, was there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

So a tame enough night for Atavan, just an altercation with a bouncer. No orgies with Myley Cyrus, no gothic fetishists, & no ho-downs.

I was vey good and stayed away from my phone for the most part!

Now, to go through the camera roll and feel the shame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

The bouncers should check boards for updates as a way to gauge how drunk you are.

this episode is on channel 4 now, that's the second time (talking about Independence Day Friday night and it was on last night)

• Advertisement

Got that humble bundle just there. Going to give the sims 3 a go, see if it'll run on my PC.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,036 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Retrogamer has an article on the Jaguar that is very defensive about it and trying (and failing) to sell it as a good machine. I wonder if our podcast prompted the article :)

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    For why young Sparks, for why??

There wasn't a Boulder-Con on and I missed it, was there?

Thought i had put photos up with that:o

268943.jpg

Got that humble bundle just there. Going to give the sims 3 a go, see if it'll run on my PC.
    Lemme know what you think, I never got to play much of it, it kept crashing my old lappy so I stuck with Sims 2.
    One of my friends is playing all the first ones again, got him the first and 3rd for his 21st because he often borrowed mine.
    I get too into it so trying to stay away altogether.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Funky Barn?
    A "must-have 3DS game" is it? ;)
    Oh, the games we buy when we have small kids, I'm so happy mine is into japanese RPGs,
    for one, I get to buy games I'd have never bought for myself and the one's I've bought over the years that have only gathered dust are themselves finally getting played!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

according to phil harrison xbox one has the best launch line up in videogame history

http://www.vgchartz.com/article/251244/microsoft-xbox-one-has-the-best-launch-line-up-in-console-history/

sorry but alot of those games are coming to ps3, xbox 360 and ps4 and alot of them of generic titles we have being playing for years now.

not surprised he has come out and said this, alot of blowing smoke up your own companies ass gets you paid top dollar these days.

Lemme know what you think, I never got to play much of it, it kept crashing my old lappy so I stuck with Sims 2.
    One of my friends is playing all the first ones again, got him the first and 3rd for his 21st because he often borrowed mine.
    And knowing him, he's probably got you as his wife.

according to phil harrison xbox one has the best launch line up in videogame history

http://www.vgchartz.com/article/251244/microsoft-xbox-one-has-the-best-launch-line-up-in-console-history/

sorry but alot of those games are coming to ps3, xbox 360 and ps4 and alot of them of generic titles we have being playing for years now.

not surprised he has come out and said this, alot of blowing smoke up your own companies ass gets you paid top dollar these days.

Doesn't he work for MS?
    Doesn't that slightly undermine his objectiveness?
    Are there, in fact, people in the world who will take him at his word and switch preorders to the much maligned next-gen machine?
    I, for one, am not so sure.....

very much like what i hear from sony when they throw the word innovation all over the place

though they have pretty much being stealing from nintendo since 1995

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Los Lobos

I beg to differ, Combat and Centipede are two of the best launch titles ever

Sony are ticking all the right boxes for me at the mo

EnterNow wrote: »
    Sony are ticking all the right boxes for me at the mo

really ?

i dunno man , they have done nothing to excite me yet. will pick one up at default when mgs5 comes out but i am not excited for any the game they have announced yet

really ?

i dunno man , they have done nothing to excite me yet. will pick one up at default when mgs5 comes out but i am not excited for any the game they have announced yet

Yep, definitely, for the PS4 anyway:

Price point is a winner
    PS+ walks all over XBL
    Launch line up games, & launch window games seem pretty damn good for a launch. Nintendo still not out of the starting blocks a year on.
    Very Indie game friendly
    I'm eager to see how well their Vita remote play works, the Vita screen being the glory that it is
    No huge push on stupid motion controls
    Sony were eager to show up MS's stupid DRM & as a result consumers won
    MS said "We can't remove the restrictions, the entire system is built around them" which leaves me very unsure about the One. Marketing fail for MS.

Those are just a few boxes ticked for me, but so far, I'm inclined to lean towards Sony here

And knowing him, he's probably got you as his wife.
    He's a friend of Dorothy, so I doubt it but he'd have fantastic taste if he did

EnterNow wrote: »
    Yep, definitely, for the PS4 anyway:

Price point is a winner
    PS+ walks all over XBL
    Launch line up games, & launch window games seem pretty damn good for a launch. Nintendo still not out of the starting blocks a year on.
    Very Indie game friendly
    I'm eager to see how well their Vita remote play works, the Vita screen being the glory that it is
    No huge push on stupid motion controls
    Sony were eager to show up MS's stupid DRM & as a result consumers won
    MS said "We can't remove the restrictions, the entire system is built around them" which leaves me very unsure about the One. Marketing fail for MS.

Those are just a few boxes ticked for me, but so far, I'm inclined to lean towards Sony here

alot of good points

I be more inclined to believe sony were smart and not saying anything at all about drm policy issue and allow microsoft to stab themselves to death a little more. I think sony had a similar policy in mind but the backlash that happened to ms gave sony enough ammo to dent the company to their personal gain.

playstation plus seems to be a better model than xbox live but sony were awful sneaky making you pay to play online, that's a negative to me regardless of the benefits for ps plus but it is what it is.

I believe the vita remote feature will end up like the psp with the ps3 and be empty promises and while i love my vita i would much prefer it seeing it as a platform on its own than being a peripheral for the ps4. More ips solely to benefit the platform device like gravity rush was.

Indie Scene has being their key and I am glad they are treating them like their own family and giving the respect they deserve. I feel nintendo have done the same equally and being the eshop being so young both psn and eshop will grow tremendously and i applaud their efforts.

out of the 3 I suppose sony looks the strongest giving even if you don't like their in house ips you are guaranteed most of 3rd party support

for me at least i am happy owning a 3ds,vita,wii u and recently got a gaming pc so I am sorted for awhile. I do plan on picking a ps4 sometime down the line but the launch line up seems very much like what we have played this generation

• Advertisement

I be more inclined to believe sony were smart and not saying anything at all about drm policy issue and allow microsoft to stab themselves to death a little more. I think sony had a similar policy in mind but the backlash that happened to ms gave sony enough ammo to dent the company to their personal gain.

Absolutely, I'd say thats exactly what happened. But as I mentioned above, it turned into a win win for consumers & Sony. For that move alone, they caught my attention.
    playstation plus seems to be a better model than xbox live but sony were awful sneaky making you pay to play online, that's a negative to me regardless of the benefits for ps plus but it is what it is.

You'll get so much more than online play with your subscription price though, PS3 & Vita owners are getting games thrown at them for their sub. It's terrific value
    I believe the vita remote feature will end up like the psp with the ps3 and be empty promises and while i love my vita i would much prefer it seeing it as a platform on its own than being a peripheral for the ps4. More ips solely to benefit the platform device like gravity rush was.

The difference being, remote play is a mandatory feature for all PS4 games. It wasn't mandatory at all on the PS3. The likes of Borderlands 2 & Minecraft coming to Vita should see it on its way

Good news everyone the A+R boys are still dominating the Boards F1 Comp

Been playing it for a few hours and it's very good. I was a big big sims 2 player so a few new interesting ideas in the game. My laptop is about 2.5 years old and isn't top spec but it seems to handle it just fine. Well well worth < €5 anyway and to also get all those other games too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,388 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Amazing games bundle so it is. I haven't really been playing any PC games at all for the last year or so - which seems like a waste of a decent laptop!

Tried Red Alert 3 earlier - really retains a lot of what made the original fun.

My main issue now is finding the damn hard drive space to get the games installed!

Been playing it for a few hours and it's very good. I was a big big sims 2 player so a few new interesting ideas in the game.
    Do you think it's better than Sims 2?

• Advertisement

Do you think it's better than Sims 2?

I'll need to play it a bit more and download some mods to see, but I'll let you know!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

Quick slightly off topic question for you guys :D

I have put money down on a new TV but having second thoughts. Its a 42 inch Panasonic Plasma (720p). For an extra €70 I can get a 39" 1080p LED instead or a 32" with bells and whistles.

My question for you retro loving guys is: Older content like Wii/Gamecube would look better on a 42 inch plasma than a 39 inch LED right? Or am I wrong (I usually am). Is screen burn in still a real problem with plasmas? I don't think I can handle worrying if sky sports news bars or Dark Souls weapons are gonna stick around annoying me :eek:
    I really can't decide which is the better option. Asked for advice in the games section here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056915815&page=5

Still lost as to the best option. Any advice? If someone owns one of the tvs it would be great to hear some feedback.

sorry if this is in the wrong section or is too far off topic :o

Master of the Universe

I really know nothing about modern TVs - however one of the guys over on Arcade Otaku keeps posting photos of his games running on this Samsung.

Absolutely in love with it so I am, gorgeous image.

DSC04845_zpsf93df13b.jpg

DSC04931_zps992d7c19.jpg

DSC03591.jpg

I've had both LED and Plasma and the plasma is the best of the two in terms of contrast ratio.
    When I still had the Nuon, Tempest 3000 looked amazing on the LED, but on the plasma your eyeballs melted in their sockets!
    Honestly though, I'd go for the Plasma everytime, and I'm not sure 1080p is going to make a massive amount of difference, broadcast TV is in 720p and the Wii/GC is going to be at 480p at best.
    Plasma burn in isn't a big deal with modern tv's, unless you leave the bugger running for hours with static graphics, there's probably an answer online for how long it takes, but I've got a 5 year old plasma in my living room and it has had tons of tv and games pushed through it with no apparent burn in.

Of course, your older systems, the likes of the Megadrive, Snes, even the PS2, are going to look better on a CRT, and it's a requirement to get something like a Sony Trinitron for such purposes, so good are they.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

The 4:3 Sony Trinitron holy grail still escapes me :pac: one day it shall be mine.

My original thinking was get the Plasma too, My 27 inch LCD is dying a slow and painful bleaching death :( and I never liked the look of it outside a few games. It blurs like muck and feels like a monitor when watching movies. I Want a OLED beast but I'm broke and they are as overpriced as the hd ready screens were 4 or so years ago. I got a weeks work and finally have some money so decided to blow it all.... yep all of it... on a new telly. Wuh ha ha ha. Hopefully it'll take a few years for the PS4/XB1 to truly be 1080p standard and in the mean time there is a hell of a lot still to play.

It will be my first plasma :) If noone else convinces me otherwise I'll take your word and my gut instinct that 720 on the plasma will handle SD content better than the 1080 LCD and just take the 42 inch home.

I am probably over thinking the hell out of this and will probably go thought the exact same headwreck upgrading to 4k in 4 years time :o

Well, to play devils advocate....

Plasmas are quite heavy tvs and generate a shed load of heat during normal function, mine has a bank of fans in the back so it's never truly silent during operation.
    Also, while the contrast ratios on LCD are pants LED tvs look pretty nice, though not at Plasma levels of awesomeness!
    LED's a lightweight and easily mounted on any wall.

And so on.....

If you could find a willing store that'll let you try a GC out on their tv's maybe?.....

I've a 42" Pioneer plasma, & a hell of a tv it is. It's a few years old now, 720p only, but at those resolutions nothing comes close to it.

That being said, I'd personally go with the high end 32" 1080p if it's going to be used mostly for gaming, the Plasma would be overkill

Master of the Universe

I'm using a 32 inch Acoustic Solutions LCD I bought in Argos 5 years ago. At €500 it was the cheapest LCD TV available at the time. (and I was a broke student who needed one ASAP for part of an installation!)

Unbranded and I'd assumed a piece of junk - still works grand to this day :D

o1s1n wrote: »
    I'm using a 32 inch Acoustic Solutions LCD I bought in Argos 5 years ago.
    I have the same brand telly but 21" I think, slow to turn on but it's grand, got it 2nd hand on Adverts

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,036 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Plasma's are a thing of beauty. They have near CRT colour and since they aren't back lit not crappy Black level problems LCDs have. They are far superior to any LCD or LED TV.

I wouldn't worry too much about the limited life time of plasma's or burn in, those were problems with older generation plasma's which improved massively in recent years.

Is anyone sick of all this nonsense about how cloud computing is going to revolutionise gaming? All they are doing is carrying out tasks server side which is what MMO's have been doing since Habitat on the C64. The 'cloud' is a ridiculous buzz word that just means a big server. We were actually warned in college about investors looking for 'cloud' computing and apps dealing with 'big data'. If we hear that it's safe to assume they are business people spewing buzz words they don't understand so it's best to say they will be included and just build the app normally since they'll be none the wiser.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

It doesn't really work for games in nearly as good a sense as it does software packages and data storage.

I'd be very skeptical of any kind of 'cloud' gaming. I'm keeping it all local to my machine, thanks.

It doesn't really work for games in nearly as good a sense as it does software packages and data storage.

Still it's just a fancy buzz word for cheaper server farms since the price for online infrastructure and storage has come down. I hate silly buzz words :)

poured my heart in the shenmue thread over on the sega forum

:(

i am drained from emotion

Master of the Universe

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I hate silly buzz words :)

Me too! Unfortunately the whole technology industry is built on silly buzz words :(

Me too! Unfortunately the whole technology industry is built on silly buzz words :(

Going forward we should definitely address cloud computing as one of the main KPI's in gaming. We need to have a quick catch up so I'll pencil you in for the 3 o'clock.

F*cking hate that shyte...

We have buzz words too, "multi disciplinary team", "client centred planning" and "got a wardrobe thrown at my head"....

I'll have to try squeeze "threw a wardrobe at my head" into a meeting.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Plasma's are a thing of beauty. They have near CRT colour and since they aren't back lit not crappy Black level problems LCDs have. They are far superior to any LCD or LED TV.

I wouldn't worry too much about the limited life time of plasma's or burn in, those were problems with older generation plasma's which improved massively in recent years.

Is anyone sick of all this nonsense about how cloud computing is going to revolutionise gaming? All they are doing is carrying out tasks server side which is what MMO's have been doing since Habitat on the C64. The 'cloud' is a ridiculous buzz word that just means a big server. We were actually warned in college about investors looking for 'cloud' computing and apps dealing with 'big data'. If we hear that it's safe to assume they are business people spewing buzz words they don't understand so it's best to say they will be included and just build the app normally since they'll be none the wiser.
    Still waiting for the days when OLED becomes a cheap thing to buy. Has better colour than any of those TV types. Screen generates its own light as well, so no backlight needed.

Still waiting for the days when OLED becomes a cheap thing to buy. Has better colour than any of those TV types. Screen generates its own light as well, so no backlight needed.

They don't have better colours than a plasma. Also they lose colour after a number of hours use, blues tend to go first since it's higher energy meaning it's more likely for the polymer to degrade into a radical in the excited phase than emit light. That molecule is then useless and won't ever emit light again. There's not really a way to fix that , it's inherent of all phosphorescent and fluorescent materials. Perhaps with Inorganic LED screen in the future, but I've a phd working on inorgnaic phosphorescent materials and can tell you they have the same problems as well and require rare metals to make.

• Advertisement

That's Dr. Retr0gamer to you....
    Hooray for plasma!!!
    Pity all the tv manufacturers have abandoned the system in favour of the easier to ship devices, like LCD and LED.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement