Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arcade and Retro General Chat in Karkariko Village Tavern: Live Ocarina Music

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,268 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    That's Dr. Retr0gamer to you....
    Hooray for plasma!!!
    Pity all the tv manufacturers have abandoned the system in favour of the easier to ship devices, like LCD and LED.

Convenience always seems to trump quality unfortunately! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Who's on for going into Harvey Norman and asking can you hook up your SNES/Mega Drive/C64 etc to their display model 4K TV to check out the quality :)

I'm picking up a new main TV in the next few weeks but it wont be that 4K monster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

m
    CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    We have buzz words too, "multi disciplinary team", "client centred planning" and "got a wardrobe thrown at my head"....

My favourite part of Pacific Rim was when Idris Elba said 'Today we are changing up the apocolypse'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Whenever I hear 'cloud gaming/computing is going to revolutionize gaming', I can't help but just think Onlive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭MrVestek

EnterNow wrote: »
    Whenever I hear 'cloud gaming/computing is going to revolutionize gaming', I can't help but just think Onlive.

I thought that was still around though?

• Advertisement

Achilles wrote: »
    I thought that was still around though?

It is, but where's the revolution?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭MrVestek

EnterNow wrote: »
    It is, but where's the revolution?

Russia? :pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

I know it's OT but any of the Breaking Bad fans here keeping up to date with the latest episodes? Last night's one was incredible, one of best episodes over all the seasons, unbelievable twists. Brilliant how they can keep the tension going with this last run. :cool:

Andrew76 wrote: »
    I know it's OT but any of the Breaking Bad fans here keeping up to date with the latest episodes? Last night's one was incredible, one of best episodes over all the seasons, unbelievable twists. Brilliant how they can keep the tension going with this last run. :cool:

Yep I'm up to date now, except for last nights one which I'll get to on Wednesday!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

Achilles wrote: »
    Russia? :pac:

russiaprop.gif

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Will be watching last nights one the moment I get home. Cannot fecking wait!

It's been years and years since I've counted the days down until a show airs the next week. Something you really miss out on in this day and age of box sets.

o1s1n wrote: »
    Will be watching last nights one the moment I get home. Cannot fecking wait!

It's been years and years since I've counted the days down until a show airs the next week. Something you really miss out on in this day and age of box sets.

The only other show that had me interested like BB was The Sopranos, everything since then was very meh for me.

Fair play to Netflix for getting the latest episodes out to us Europeans so fast. Was working til 5am last night but couldn't help F5-ing the episode list to see if it had come online. Nope. There early this morning though. That was my lunchtime sorted. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

Thanks for the advice guys
    One thing still worrying me is Burn in. As the housemate put it: I play an embarrassing amount of Street Fighter for mammoth sittings. 6-7 hours of Guys Health bar can not be a good idea can it? :D I rang the lad in soundstore and he says image retention will happen but burn in he honestly hasn't seen a panny comeback in years. It has a 5 year warranty but he is unsure if it would cover it if it actually burned.
    I have to pull the trigger on this today :confused:

So it comes down to:

http://www.soundstore.ie/Product/Panasonic-TXP42X60-42-600Hz-HD-Plasma/4016/2220.0.3
    The 720p 42inch Panasonic Plasma at €450 (35ms or lower input lag)

Or

http://www.soundstore.ie/Product/Samsung-UE39F5000-39-Slim-FHD-100Hz-LED-TV/3993/2220.0.3
    39 inches, 1080p, LED back lit (not full array but close) approx 26 or under input lag and NO fear of long game sessions.

€529 pushing the budget to the max.

Retro... heeeeelllppp :pac:

Update

Day got a bit better

Brand new 3ds was faulty with terrible freezing issues
    Brought it back up to Gamestop and got it changed for a new one.
    Was expecting to lose 15 quid eshop and Animal crossing Boulder Dash xl and all the other saves and bits and pieces.

Thankfully the guy behind the counter let me take the new one home update it and then go back up and do the system transfer.

Wonderful service and for certain i will give as much custom as i can to that shop.

Also picked up Super Pokemon Rumble for the 3ds and got a private sale of a Dsi for 25 quid.

Now for a pint :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

Sparks43 wrote: »
    Update

Day got a bit better

Brand new 3ds was faulty with terrible freezing issues
    Brought it back up to Gamestop and got it changed for a new one.
    Was expecting to lose 15 quid eshop and Animal crossing Boulder Dash xl and all the other saves and bits and pieces.

Thankfully the guy behind the counter let me take the new one home update it and then go back up and do the system transfer.

Wonderful service and for certain i will give as much custom as i can to that shop.

Also picked up Super Pokemon Rumble for the 3ds and got a private sale of a Dsi for 25 quid.

Now for a pint :D

If we have a negative experience in Gamestop, we're quick to tell one and all (I'm guilty of this). However when good stuff like the above happens we tend to just be happy and keep the information to ourselves. Fair play to you for taking the time to post this positive customer service story here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

DinoRex wrote: »
    m

My favourite part of Pacific Rim was when Idris Elba said 'Today we are changing up the apocolypse'
    Cancelling, dude, cancelling...is is it cats in the apocalypse?

Master of the Universe

Just finished watching it - best episode of the new series yet! One of those ones where you're shouting at the TV because it's over and the credits are rolling :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I just finished watching it too. Going to be a long mother****ing week, yo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

A little off topic but this has to be the best fridge ever.
    576556_511229415632134_1160705294_n.png

• Advertisement

Oh god, I need that fridge! :eek:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Wow, the Rayman Legends reviews are insane. I thoroughly enjoyed Origins, but apparently this is on another level. Gamecentral - who are probably some of the most hyperbole resistant writers out there - are calling it "the best non-Mario platformer ever made" :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

speaking of Breaking Bad, we meet these cosplayers at Aya

I just finished watching it too. Going to be a long mother****ing week, yo.
    Just finished watching it - best episode of the new series yet! One of those ones where you're shouting at the TV because it's over and the credits are rolling :(

Yeah, amazing episode. EnterNow, patience of a saint holding off til Wednesday man. She better do the same! :D

Do you guys find the time absolutely flies watching them? I'm usually afraid to move the mouse in case I see there's only a few minutes left, a vain attempt to prolong the enjoyment. :o

Master of the Universe

Wow, the Rayman Legends reviews are insane. I thoroughly enjoyed Origins, but apparently this is on another level. Gamecentral - who are probably some of the most hyperbole resistant writers out there - are calling it "the best non-Mario platformer ever made" :eek:

Can't wait to give that a go. :)

Have to say though, I don't know about you guys... but character design wise, I find Rayman really crap!

Master of the Universe

Do you guys find the time absolutely flies watching them? I'm usually afraid to move the mouse in case I see there's only a few minutes left, a vain attempt to prolong the enjoyment. :o

Any time the screen does one of those slow black blanks between scenes, my heart skips a beat - 'It can't be over yet?!!'

Then I breath a sigh of relief when it comes back on. :pac:

They sure do fly by though...thankfully the weeks between episodes are also flying by.

Have to say though, I don't know about you guys... but character design wise, I find Rayman really crap!

Can't say I ever found them particularly endearing either. But damn Legends (and the underappreciated Jungle Run) were amazing looking games, some of the best I've ever seen. The Ubiart engine is a thing of beauty, fascinated to see how the recently announced JRPG-inspired title with it is going to turn out.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,889 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'm not mad about Rayman but the other characters I think are great and it has a lovely Gallic charm that you only really get from French comics that makes it really stand out. They've also been gorgeous looking games, the PC and Dreamcast versions of Rayman still hold up due to the gorgeous art.

Can't say I ever found them particularly endearing either. But damn Legends (and the underappreciated Jungle Run) were amazing looking games, some of the best I've ever seen. The Ubiart engine is a thing of beauty, fascinated to see how the recently announced JRPG-inspired title with it is going to turn out.

I played Jungle Run on my phone recently and thought it was great fun. What format did you play Origins on? I'm thinking of picking up a 3ds game soon and was thinking either New Mario Bros 2 or Donkey Kong Country Returns but now Origins had made it's way onto my radar.

• Advertisement

What format did you play Origins on?

PS3, I believe.

Some of the auto-running levels in Origins are some of the most challenging I've played in recent times. Frustrating but addictive in equal measure.

Yeah that's pretty much what I felt about jungle run. It was so easy to click retry and before you know it so much time has passed. It was frustrating to die so often but it never seemed unfair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

I'd pre-ordered Legends back when I bought that lovely €18 deal on Zavvi for Darksiders II (Feb?) and have been getting weekly emails from them since the release date was changed. I'll be as glad to get rid of them as I will to get the game :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

The Arcana is the means by which all is revealed

The Arcana is the means by which all is revealed

too much persona?

Sera wrote: »
    too much persona?

just a tad :pac:

• Advertisement

just a tad :pac:
    yeah I was thinking of social links when talking to people when I got into it lol.
    Saw a good few cosplays from P3 and 4 over, got way too excited lol

Sera wrote: »
    yeah I was thinking of social links when talking to people when I got into it lol.
    Saw a good few cosplays from P3 and 4 over, got way too excited lol

ha ive my persona 4 costume in my wardrobe , future cons would have to put up with me :L

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Regarding Rayman, the platformer on the PS, PC and Saturn looked great but was frustrating.
    The second one, on the N64, PC then later the DS/3DS looked amazing and, unlike a lot of other Mario 64 inspired games, it had a fair bit of originality in there as well as some nice at style.
    I still have it on those formats, and I prefer it to the too busy Banjo-Tooie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

HMV on Henry street is re-opening in 10 days. Can't wait to go in again and browse through games!

HMV on Henry street is re-opening in 10 days. Can't wait to go in again and browse through games!

Plus the new owners have stated they'll be honoring the previous owners gift cards. Yus! Chuffed I kept it

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Finally! Somewhere to buy games again! :)

Fantastic news.

Yeah I always liked buying games in HMV. Henry street, Dundrum, Liffey valley and the crescent in Limerick are all re-opening which is good. It'll be interesting to see if they can survive and if there's anything new/different.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,889 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

No more 65 euro games in gamestop.

Master of the Universe

Just in time for GTA V too :)

HMV were always great for some nice bargains. My local won't be opening back up but nevertheless I'm glad they're back in at least some places.

Master of the Universe

Yeah, somehow I can't see my local one on Grafton street opening up any time soon either!

Yeah, I think they'd said they'd keep their options open on the Grafton Street one, maybe as a second wave, but the rents there are ridiculous.

Master of the Universe

Isn't it something like €1,000,000 a year? Dublin landlords really do take the piss.

Yeah I'd heard around that figure too.

I think it's already been leased anyway

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement