Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arcade and Retro General Chat in Karkariko Village Tavern: Live Ocarina Music

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

o1s1n wrote: »
    Yeah, somehow I can't see my local one on Grafton street opening up any time soon either!

A shame, the Henry St. one was always full of dodgy looking folk. :pac:

Is there any info if it's going to be any different to the one before? I wonder are they banking on the browsing experience keeping them open. Was nice to pick up the odd DVD in the Grafton St. one years ago, downstairs used to have some game bargains too but online is where it's at these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Grand, they're keeping the games, seemingly. Hilco jettisoned'em when they did a similar restructure/save of HMV Canada, so had a bit of fear in me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

PS3, I believe.

Some of the auto-running levels in Origins are some of the most challenging I've played in recent times. Frustrating but addictive in equal measure.
    Just remember the fact that this song will be in your head for days, afterwards.

Yeah I always liked buying games in HMV. Henry street, Dundrum, Liffey valley and the crescent in Limerick are all re-opening which is good. It'll be interesting to see if they can survive and if there's anything new/different.
    *parades around like a little child knowing that the Cresent is the only place outside Dublin that's reopening a HMV*

Now all we need is the one in Cruses St. and I'm set for life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

A Nintendo 2DS? They kept this pretty secret...

BSw-USoIUAAmbNQ.png

Good idea. I probably haven't turned on 3D in over a year on my one.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I'd miss the flip screen :( It looks like a Tomy knock-off of a WiiU controller.

It's both the most sensible and the most bizarre move I've seen Nintendo make in a while.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,889 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It eats batteries as well. I don't see a point in 3D mode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,268 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Congrats Nintendo, you just topped my Wii Mini 'WTF NINTENDO???' moment.

AND STILL NO SECOND CIRCLE PAD BUILT IN. ARGH!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

WTF

Plays your 3d games in 2d:eek:

Marketing department of Nintendo need to be put on a special show of Endurance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

They're not just saving money by pulling out a whole dimension, they're also saving money on hinges.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭HeartOfTheCity

This mega drive rgb scart cable needs to arrive soon.

I thought that 2DS was some sort of hoax for a minute. What a pointless device. Why wouldn't you just buy a 3DS XL for a few quid extra and get much bigger screens, better screen protection and eh, 3D (if you want it). :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Bit of a bizarre sales pitch, "Here, buy our 3D console in a 2D model". The whole sales pitch of the 3DS is 3D, whether it's used not. I'd actually forgive this 2DS if they have the foresight to include the 2nd analogue stick, but all that space & it's still missing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Im looking at the 2ds and thinking out loudly and going wut da fuq O_o

EnterNow wrote: »
    Bit of a bizarre sales pitch, "Here, buy our 3D console in a 2D model". The whole sales pitch of the 3DS is 3D, whether it's used not. I'd actually forgive this 2DS if they have the foresight to include the 2nd analogue stick, but all that space & it's still missing?

I wonder will they bring out a double stick version of the 3DS (and XL) sometime? Are there many games that really need the second stick?

Regarding the 2DS, young whipper-snappers like Johnny_U and o1s1n are gonna have to buy new trousers with giant pockets to carry that yoke on the bus/train. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭HeartOfTheCity

Are they hoping this tricks people into accidentally buying the WiiU?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Andrew76 wrote: »
    I wonder will they bring out a double stick version of the 3DS (and XL) sometime? Are there many games that really need the second stick?

Regarding the 2DS, young whipper-snappers like Johnny_U and o1s1n are gonna have to buy new trousers with giant pockets to carry that yoke on the bus/train. :P

No essential need for the 2nd stick, but jeez, incentivize the purchase Ninty!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

I don't really see the need/appeal for it. You can just turn off the 3d if you want and it doesn't look portable at all!

Perhaps they're targeting the under 7's as the 3D isn't recommended for that age group? It does look quite kiddy too.

Once again, Nintendo surprise me by how they manage to keep this sort of thing out of wraps.

Also, I'd hardly call the thing portable, seeing the lack of a clamshell form factor.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I think it's already been leased anyway

Yeah, O1s1n is renting it as his new pantry, the gold wallpaper is being delivered on the backs of trained badgers tomorrow....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I thought that 2DS was some sort of hoax for a minute. What a pointless device. Why wouldn't you just buy a 3DS XL for a few quid extra and get much bigger screens, better screen protection and eh, 3D (if you want it). :confused:

All true but, dammit, I'm going to buy it anyway!!!
    I wonder what the circle pad pro for it is going to look like?

• Advertisement

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    All true but, dammit, I'm going to buy it anyway!!!

I was thinking the exact same thing when I posted - 'I bet Cidey will snap it up regardless'. Your dedication to all things Nintendo knows no bounds. :)

P.S. I don't think it has an SD slot. :p

No it does, coming with a 4GB sd card apparantly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Kenjataimu

Seen this on reddit.

tumblr_ms8g348nsJ1rk5dgco1_500.jpg

edit : Actually just reading up on this, seems it'll only work if it breaks a certain way.

Proco Jr. wrote: »
    Seen this on reddit.

tumblr_ms8g348nsJ1rk5dgco1_500.jpg

edit : Actually just reading up on this, seems it'll only work if it breaks a certain way.
    Heh? Can you lay down more info?

No it does, coming with a 4GB sd card apparantly.

You're correct, defo no reason for Cidey to pass on it now! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭megaten

Perhaps they're targeting the under 7's as the 3D isn't recommended for that age group? It does look quite kiddy too.

Apparently that's exactly the case. Especially with pokemon coming down the line.

megaten wrote: »
    Apparently that's exactly the case. Especially with pokemon coming down the line.

Hey, pokemon is for all ages! Not just the under 7's :P

Master of the Universe

Heh? Can you lay down more info?

Broken top screen, using the bottom as a GBA! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

Designer of the 2ds has been revealed

Broken top screen, using the bottom as a GBA! :)
    Ahhh. Nevermind. I thought someone found a way to play the old DS after the top half broke.

• Advertisement

Does it not look uncomfortable for those who prefer to play with the d-pad? Swear you'd have to hold it at at an angle to get settled with it.

You're correct, defo no reason for Cidey to pass on it now! :)

Hooray!
    Come on now, isn't there a My little pony gif of bottom lip biting anticipation?
    It'd be perfect but I can't do it due to my lousy phone!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

On a very different note, just in case anyone has missed it elsewhere:

Probably in the top three things I've ever seen on the Internet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Just started dragons crown and just completed the tutorial.

Ive dropped the controller and looked and the beautiful art vanillaware has created , so rich and the landscape warms the special place in my heart.

The music is also enchanting , why cant all games use such vibrant colours instead of muddy browns and greys :(

Ah well back to playing the game :pac:

I wonder. Is there anywhere in Limerick, or even Ennis that sells audio receivers? I've been meaning to get one.

Master of the Universe

Who needs a GBA AGS 101 when you have a GBA DS :D

Apparently the battery lasts forever due to there being just one screen. It's like a big micro!

DSC_0405_zps07d3c0c4.jpg

Mod worked perfectly, apart from one major **** up on my part.

When you open up the bottom, the power slider connects to a tiny little piece of plastic - it snapped off :(:(

Had to then leave the power switch out (as flicking it up wouldn't do anything due to the plastic bit being gone)

So to power it on you've to flick the tiny remainder of the plastic bit up with something.

Edit - just to note, I didn't have to solder anything. When I was trying to get the top screen out to check out the ribbon cable, my screwdriver went right through the cable :eek:

I thought it would have buggered it, but thankfully the bottom screen continued to boot (top screen was now a garbled mess)

Continued to open the bottom section and disconnected the ribbon cable straight from the DS board - bottom screen still boots.

So as long as you switch the GBA games to auto boot on the bottom screen, you don't seem to need to worry about the ribbon cable/soldering points etc. Well I didn't anyway.

I always found the DS d-pad horrific when dealing with GBA games, renders any platformer immediately unplayable for me.

Master of the Universe

Yeah it's not the best alright.

Still, I'll be using it to try and finish off Mother 3, so there shouldn't be too many tricky platforming sections ;)

Did you just do that now o1s1n? :P

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Did you just do that now o1s1n? :P

Yeah. I saw the link, looked at my DS with a broken hinge and had nothing else to do :D

Want to figure out a way of removing the existing hinge and also plug that hole on the right side.

You could plug it with electrical tape or something for the time being?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Still, I'll be using it to try and finish off Mother 3
    <3 Mother 3, it's fantastic, would like to hear what you thought of it when you finish

Master of the Universe

You could plug it with electrical tape or something for the time being?

That was the plan! Turns out I don't have any around the house :(

I wonder would black sugru do the job?
    Sera wrote: »
    <3 Mother 3, it's fantastic, would like to hear what you thought of it when you finish

Yeah I played a few hours into it, really enjoyed it, but put it down for some reason. (I think Phantasy Star IV distracted me!)

If it's anywhere near as good as Mother 2 then I was an eejit for putting it down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Yeah I played a few hours into it, really enjoyed it, but put it down for some reason. (I think Phantasy Star IV distracted me!)

If it's anywhere near as good as Mother 2 then I was an eejit for putting it down.

that happened to me too but I can't remember why, I do that sometimes though. I loved Mother 3 but felt I related more to Earthbound

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

$130, might pick up one when I'm over in Canada and use it to play US imports. Never use the 3d, apart from the animated parts of Fire Emblem, and I'm always afraid I'll break the hinge.

• Advertisement

Sera wrote: »
    that happened to me too but I can't remember why, I do that sometimes though. I loved Mother 3 but felt I related more to Earthbound

Gonna hit on a spoiler that annoys me about Mother 3, for the first couple of chapters.
    Never understood why they go ahead with Hinawa's funeral while Flint's still in prison, nevermind the fact that Claus is still missing, and they're content to have Lucas endure the process alone. Also, given the frequency of zombie-sightings in Tazmily later on, isn't there a chance you've got to off the reanimated corpse of your mother in a random encounter? Think it's a given, really, considering they spawn near her grave constantly.

Still, Hinawa's death?! Boom! 1-hit KO to the feels-factory.

If I said it affected my enjoyment of the game, I would be lying.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,889 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    Gonna hit on a spoiler that annoys me about Mother 3, for the first couple of chapters.
    Never understood why they go ahead with Hinawa's funeral while Flint's still in prison, nevermind the fact that Claus is still missing, and they're content to have Lucas endure the process alone. Also, given the frequency of zombie-sightings in Tazmily later on, isn't there a chance you've got to off the reanimated corpse of your mother in a random encounter? Think it's a given, really, considering they spawn near her grave constantly.

Still, Hinawa's death?! Boom! 1-hit KO to the feels-factory.

If I said it affected my enjoyment of the game, I would be lying.
    They were all brainwashed and didn't know how to deal with any kind of violence.

Gray Matter got greenlit on steam. Can't wait to play another Jane Jensen adventure game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

I don't really see the need/appeal for it. You can just turn off the 3d if you want and it doesn't look portable at all!

Thats the first thing I thought :D Actually thats a lie. It went more like:

Oh awesome a 2DS is an awesome idea if its cheap enough.
    It is cheap deadly... wait... is it one solid piece?... ah balls. Kids will love that.

Worked in Smyths for 4+ years and this will sell very well. Its pretty much a checklist fixing what mammys think is wrong with the 3ds for their kids. A major thing with giving a handheld to kids under a certain age is how easy they break the things. Loads of broken hinges on kids DS and screens from things left inside then crushed shut, PSPs UMD slots getting torn off. UMDs being "opened" to get the disks.
    Best guess is Nintendo got sick of returns covered in push-pop goo and hello kitty stickers and said feck it and designed one taking lessons learned by fisher price and vtech and all that stuff.

Good call with the price cut on the WiiU too... I'll actually buy one now :D

Danonino. wrote: »
    Thats the first thing I thought :D Actually thats a lie. It went more like:

Oh awesome a 2DS is an awesome idea if its cheap enough.
    It is cheap deadly... wait... is it one solid piece?... ah balls. Kids will love that.

Worked in Smyths for 4+ years and this will sell very well. Its pretty much a checklist fixing what mammys think is wrong with the 3ds for their kids. A major thing with giving a handheld to kids under a certain age is how easy they break the things. Loads of broken hinges on kids DS and screens from things left inside then crushed shut, PSPs UMD slots getting torn off. UMDs being "opened" to get the disks.
    Best guess is Nintendo got sick of returns covered in push-pop goo and hello kitty stickers and said feck it and designed one taking lessons learned by fisher price and vtech and all that stuff.

Good call with the price cut on the WiiU too... I'll actually buy one now :D

I would guess the number of 3DS's returned with broken hinges will be matched by 2DS's with cracked or smashed screens (even if they were bought with the case).

Yeah the price cut made sense, now they just need to get the games out for it to make it worthwhile. Mid-next year I'll have a look to see if there's enough games to warrant a purchase.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement