Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arcade and Retro General Chat in Karkariko Village Tavern: Live Ocarina Music

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,889 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

There's mostly absolute ****e greenlit on steam today, which is fantastic. If they can do it there's hope for me :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Andrew76 wrote: »
    I would guess the number of 3DS's returned with broken hinges will be matched by 2DS's with cracked or smashed screens (even if they were bought with the case).

Yeah the price cut made sense, now they just need to get the games out for it to make it worthwhile. Mid-next year I'll have a look to see if there's enough games to warrant a purchase.

I'd say there's enough content now to warrant a purchase. One thing for me though, is Nintendo's ridiculous model of tying purchases to hardware, rather than your account, that puts me off buying practically anything on the e-shop. If the console dies or is lost, so are your purchases.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    There's mostly absolute ****e greenlit on steam today, which is fantastic. If they can do it there's hope for me :P

There's a good few really dodgy games on Steam that keep changing their titles to trick new people into buying them.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

EnterNow wrote: »
    I'd say there's enough content now to warrant a purchase. One thing for me though, is Nintendo's ridiculous model of tying purchases to hardware, rather than your account, that puts me off buying practically anything on the e-shop. If the console dies or is lost, so are your purchases.

Is that the same with 3DS/XL/2DS/1DS... e-shop purchases too?

Is that the same with 3DS/XL/2DS/1DS... e-shop purchases too?

Yep, & the Wii U ;) I think I read somewhere on the Ninty forum there might be a way to retrieve old purchases, but it's far from just logging in on a new system to retrieve content. Stolen consoles require Garda confirmation or some nonsense like that.

Anyway, until that system is changed, I tend to pass over any e-shop content. I got the usual bits n pieces, deals & the 30c Wiiware offers...but that's about it

Looks like the 2DS actually just has 1 big screen but it's covered by the plastic casing to appear as if it has 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

DinoRex wrote: »
    Looks like the 2DS actually just has 1 big screen but it's covered by the plastic casing to appear as if it has 2.

Makes sense, certainly cheaper to make if that's the case, price drop announced for the Wii U as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,269 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Well thats interesting. Homwbrew + case mod could = the best vertical shmup handheld ever.

All touch screen as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Sparks43 wrote: »
    Designer of the 2ds has been revealed

think it was actually

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRI_gyKa97TjfkqV_h4A0jjSq5y4iVcPLQEU0qCvVmVuWpgIp-j

• Advertisement

o1s1n wrote: »
    Well thats interesting. Homwbrew + case mod could = the best vertical shmup handheld ever.

I had the same thought :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,889 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Yep, & the Wii U ;) I think I read somewhere on the Ninty forum there might be a way to retrieve old purchases, but it's far from just logging in on a new system to retrieve content. Stolen consoles require Garda confirmation or some nonsense like that.

Anyway, until that system is changed, I tend to pass over any e-shop content. I got the usual bits n pieces, deals & the 30c Wiiware offers...but that's about it

It's a pain alright but I think if you have the console serial number or else have it linked to your club nintendo account then all it takes is a phone call so make sure you link your consoles to club nintendo!

It's annoying but I don't think it's worth missing out on eShop content for it, there's too much good stuff on there to ignore it such as Level 5's guild games.

It's a pain alright but I think if you have the console serial number or else have it linked to your club nintendo account then all it takes is a phone call so make sure you link your consoles to club nintendo!

It's annoying but I don't think it's worth missing out on eShop content for it, there's too much good stuff on there to ignore it such as Level 5's guild games.

That wouldn't be so bad, but I'm sure there were users who were told their content was lost forever by Nintendo. Has the procedure changed in recent times?

That's pretty interesting from a technical point of view - I wonder how current 3DS games, that are presumably programmed for two separate screens, adjust to a single screen area split horizontally? Obviously there's no change in the game code from 3DS to 2DS.

Retr0 you're a games programmer now, any idea how this works?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

But the top screen is bigger than the touch screen, how does that work if its one screen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

What's the scenario with motion control with the wiiu? Used much?

But the top screen is bigger than the touch screen, how does that work if its one screen?

Perhaps the bezel just shapes it, & the screen is formatted to display smaller on the bottom? Or else its a funky screen thats smaller on bottom than it is on the top?

That's pretty interesting from a technical point of view - I wonder how current 3DS games, that are presumably programmed for two separate screens, adjust to a single screen area split horizontally? Obviously there's no change in the game code from 3DS to 2DS.

Retr0 you're a games programmer now, any idea how this works?

I'm more a script kiddy than a coder :P

I'd say the video controller sends sorts out where the framebuffers are displayed so all that's needed is just a simple hardware change to the video controller, possibly even just a driver change for the GPU.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I thought the two screens had quite different resolutions.
    If true would mean there's some scaling going on?

Also, Nintendo probably have the next gen 2DS in planning, this time with a hinge! (And still no second circle pad!)

• Advertisement

I'm guessing power has to be sent to all the pixels though, even the ones covered by the bezel. Would imagine battery life will take a hit.

I'm guessing power has to be sent to all the pixels though, even the ones covered by the bezel. Would imagine battery life will take a hit.

They prob have a bigger capacity battery now that they have the extra real estate to play with. I still think they should have integrated a 2nd stick, can't fathom why they didn't. It's big enough without having to add a second stick adapter to it

Master of the Universe

Would it be possible to have a T shaped LCD? If so then I'd say that's what it is. Would be bizarre alright to have part of a powered LCD obscured by plastic.

Really interested in how they're going to send both picture signals to one screen.

Still don't understand why it's not one long screen though. It's a bit daft when you think about it. The only reason both screens aren't connected on the DS/3DS/Game and Watch is because of the hinge - it's a physical impossibility.

With this design they're forcing a physical limitation from a hinged device on a device with no hinge :confused:

Someone buy one and take it apart so we can figure it out!

Also, why are people relating it to a tablet? It looks nothing like a tablet and it's not being advertised as one either.

Master of the Universe

I'd say because of it's slate type design. It's a weird oddity which doesn't really fit into any particular standard electronics type.

I would say what happened is, someone in Nintendo's dev department was looking at the WiiU controller (which is kind of a tablet) - then the 3DS and thought it would be a good idea to try and meld the two together.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

I would guess the number of 3DS's returned with broken hinges will be matched by 2DS's with cracked or smashed screens (even if they were bought with the case)..... snip

You'd be surprised, we got very little Gameboy colours, GBAs (the first ones) and Micros back, they get scratched to bits but rarely broken. Pretty much every sale was with a case too. When a kid scratches or breaks the screen in his schoolbag he gets shouted at and told to be careful because its exactly what it looks like, he was an idiot and broke his gameboy. You would need to be giving the screens a fair hammering before they give out AND look like a manufactures fault :D

Problem with kids isn't screens its fiddly bits, Hinges, doors, disk drives, and spillages. Any PSP sold to a kid came back in some mess honestly. Actually I remember when the DS first came out and they were coming back with faulty touch screens.
    The original DS's had a fault because the bottom screen had a gap between the plastic and the screen just big enough for crumbs to get in. The touch screen is only one point or whatever so when a crumb is pressed against the screen it won't accept any other input. Compared to the other handhelds a lot of DS's came back just after launch, but I fixed them there and then as very few were actually broken just holding snacks. I'm guessing a lot were given refurbished consoles because most shops wouldn't look for why the screen was broken let alone care (thats nintendos job). Pretty sure Nintendo changed the instructions soon after and the DSlite had a far better fitting screen but kids like their crisps chewed up and spat between hinges on DSlites :rolleyes: The amount of DS's I had to scrape **** out of to make the touchscreen work again was pretty high. Then again it was moving out of the shop faster than we could stock it.

EDIT: woops went on a bit of a waffle
    :pac:

You lose all save progress but they transfer the rights to the new console :) at least they did with my wii. Oh and I got free wii points too, that was kinda cool. :)

They may have gotten a good deal on a inventory of screens of that size (I wonder if size wise it's same as the Wii U) and decided to incorporate it into the 2DS to stip down costs as much as possible.

Something like this would have made it a very attractive option though:

LqsJsgd.png

In general though it's a cheap way to get younger users on board for the new Pokemon titles.

Master of the Universe

Now that's what I'm talking about!! Would have bought one of those in a heartbeat.

Now that's what I'm talking about!! Would have bought one of those in a heartbeat.

Speaking of handheld gaming devices, have you seen NVidia's Shield? Runs the Android OS but can also be used to stream PC games wirelessly. You need a suitable PC for the streaming but the videos I've seen of it in action aren't bad at all.

Would it be possible to have a T shaped LCD? If so then I'd say that's what it is. Would be bizarre alright to have part of a powered LCD obscured by plastic.

Really interested in how they're going to send both picture signals to one screen.

Still don't understand why it's not one long screen though. It's a bit daft when you think about it. The only reason both screens aren't connected on the DS/3DS/Game and Watch is because of the hinge - it's a physical impossibility.

With this design they're forcing a physical limitation from a hinged device on a device with no hinge :confused:

The bigger screen size was chosen because it's probably the same size screen being used in other tablets or phones. Far cheaper to use a mass produced bigger screen than getting two smaller custom resolution ones.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Just googled it there and I remember seeing the concept images for that - I didn't think it was a real device. Really don't like the design, basically just looks like a controller with an LCD stuck on.

Interesting about the PC game streaming though, would be a nice second display feature for game HUD and things like that. (DayZ map would be great)

Master of the Universe

The bigger screen size was chosen because it's probably the same size screen being used in other tablets or phones. Far cheaper to use a mass produced bigger screen than getting two smaller custom resolution ones.

Oh I know, what I meant was I don't know why it's not one large visible screen and instead has been separated by redundant pieces of plastic to imitate the 3DS.

Oh I know, what I meant was I don't know why it's not one large visible screen and instead has been separated by redundant pieces of plastic to imitate the 3DS.

Probably to differentiate it from the wii u game pad.

Master of the Universe

Probably to differentiate it from the wii u game pad.

I'd say it's more to keep it in line with the whole D(ual)S(screen) franchise. They've built an image around handheld devices with two screens, probably don't want to mess with that. Seems like a missed opportunity to me though. With one big long screen you could still run 3DS games while also opening up new possibilities.

I guess then you'd be marginalizing those with a 3DS (as they couldn't use the single screen software)

wRQksWn.gif

I've too many consoles, just too many to display properly. Something's gonna have to give...all will be revealed :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

I wanna overhear those conversation in Gamestop where they've to explain the difference between a 2DS, DS and 3DS. Before I get labeled a smary, cynical dick: I recall being party to such discussions where a couple of fine individuals couldn't quite wrap their head around the fact that the DS doesn't play 3DS games, even though you can turn off the feature on the 3DS itself. It eventually devolved into 'but it can be played in 2D, why won't it work?!!!' kinda questions.

I would've intervened, but at that point, I couldn't quite figure out how to adequately explain it without the use of a very patronising powerpoint presentation.

I've too many consoles, just too many to display properly. Something's gonna have to give...all will be revealed :(

:eek:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRYoQFKWV3hdszzQoxlaLru2EO8ngkM112QVB3Ww3XsT2cPQFASeA

Master of the Universe

Sofa and TV in your massive shed - sorted! :)

• Advertisement

Sofa and TV in your massive shed - sorted! :)

& a life support system for the months of November to April :o

Spot what's missing...

eu0vow.jpg

2d9ec1s.jpg

I'll tell you what should be missing, that Jaguar! :p

Seriously though, you used to have a Sony Trinitron didn't you? (Not the giant one you gave/got from o1s1n.)

I'll tell you what should be missing, that Jaguar! :p

Nonsense, the Jag is definitely worth owning....yep definitely, well kinda :P
    Seriously though, you used to have a Sony Trinitron didn't you? (Not the giant one you gave/got from o1s1n.)

Yeah that was ages ago, had some job getting that down outta the attic. But you're nearly right, had to mothball my 21" crt. Just literally ran out of space. I'll still keep it, but until I've somewhere bigger to house the consoles, I'll have to put up with pixelated images & stupid black bars on the sides of the screen :(

Master of the Universe

Since when do you have a PCE Duo R? :eek: lovely stuff!

A slight correction, it's an RGB modded PCE Duo R. :cool:

Was a purchase from last year :)
    A slight correction, it's an RGB modded PCE Duo R. :cool:

Yep, RGB goodness all da way yo!

Master of the Universe

Is the Duo R not RGB by default no? Didn't know that. You lucky chap :)

I've recently restarted playing the PCE a lot. Saw one of Pyong's videos about 'high res arcade mode' on some of the shmups (it squishes the horizontal, making them look like vertically orientated games) and decided to give it a go.

Really interesting, kind of like tate mode before tate mode was included with games. With some of them it's really hard to access, others it's easy (if I remember correctly, Solder Blade has it in the options menu)

Is the Duo R not RGB by default no? Didn't know that. You lucky chap :)

I don't think so as there's a few tutorials & vids for how to do it? Either way it's a seriously nice RGB picture coming from it, shame I'll have to look at it through lcd for the mo but sure what can one do :)

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

I'd assumed the core systems didn't do RGB but the fancier ones did - apparently I was wrong!

I wonder do any of the PCE variations have RGB out stock at all?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement