Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arcade and Retro General Chat in Karkariko Village Tavern: Live Ocarina Music

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,036 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

What are peoples favorite rpgs on the game boy advance? Ones that aren't snes remakes :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,036 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Shining Force, a megadrive remake :P
    It's really good and they changed it up a lot to make it more modern.

I really liked the golden sun games on it.

Riviera is fantastic as well but the PSP version is the definitive one.

The very best however is Mother 3. Seriously a contender for my favourite game of all time.

Both Fire Emblems are great

Mario and Luigi is superb.

Stay the hell away from FF Tactics Advance, it's very dull.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

The seller from the ps1 game I bought on eBay just sent me a message to say that he only realised when packing but, the manual is quite tatty and didn't mention it in the listing. Would it be cheeky to ask for a slight discount? Game isn't rare or expensive or anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Would it be cheeky to ask for a slight discount? Game isn't rare or expensive or anything.
    I would, I don't think it's cheeky at all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

i hate hate hate this song, but i..cant...stop....playing this...tune....

dam you capcom:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

7HmmQ9.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

Well it's 5am and my wrists are really sore... but I just finished Steamworld Dig on the 3DS, really recommend it to everyone... Think it's only about €8.

It's like Metroid meets Dig Dug.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

o1s1n wrote: »
    I've been really reluctant to go anywhere near the 3DS store after hearing about Gateway 3DS. Want to keep my firmware version as low as possible.

Whats all this about?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭megaten

nuxxx wrote: »
    What are peoples favorite rpgs on the game boy advance? Ones that aren't snes remakes :)

Summon Knight: Swordcraft Story. Make sure you play as a girl and get the fairy as your partner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 146 ✭✭paperwork

its so tough being a WiiU owner, I needed something to play while I'm hung over and no shops in Ireland seem to be selling Wonderful 101 and I can't download it coz of my stupid basic model. Decided to get ducktales, but it isnt doing it for me, I hate the backgrounds and I had to restart the entire game again to use the hard pogo.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

paperwork wrote: »
    its so tough being a WiiU owner, I needed something to play while I'm hung over and no shops in Ireland seem to be selling Wonderful 101 and I can't download it coz of my stupid basic model. Decided to get ducktales, but it isnt doing it for me, I hate the backgrounds and I had to restart the entire game again to use the hard pogo.

Wtf is "the hard pogo"?
    But you're right, it is though being a WiiU owner, I wonder if we should ring the Samaritans?

And welcome back by the way, and I'm sure Atavan has forgotten his shame by now, though I do take some pleasure in reminding everyone of it now and again! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,388 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

EnterNow wrote: »
    Whats all this about?

First proper 3DS flash cart! :)

Only down side to it now is no GUI.

Needs a firmware of 4.xx to work.

Mine is currently 6.2 - apparently thats the last firmware version before Nintendo removed the exploit completely. So hopefully they'll have it compatible at some point.

First proper 3DS flash cart! :)

Only down side to it now is no GUI.

Needs a firmware of 4.xx to work.

Mine is currently 6.2 - apparently thats the last firmware version before Nintendo removed the exploit completely. So hopefully they'll have it compatible at some point.

Interesting, though I'm not sure if I'll bother. Been really enjoying collecting again ever since I done away with flashcarts etc. Are there any must have ntsc only titles, as that's prob the only reason I'd bother at the mo

• Advertisement

Aye, as soon as this hits the general public console sales will go up but game sales will suffer. Unless some cool homebrew comes out for it I won't bother. I too like buying 3DS games and also don't want to risk bricking the console or anything if an update comes out.

Also, 16,000th post! 16,000 posts of nonsense.

Master of the Universe

The sheer wealth of DS games I played simply because of flash cards has me excited.

I do love buying 3DS games (and have bought about 20 at ful retail value) but theyre just too damn expensive to play everything.

On the plus side, it looks like it'll be more complex to keep them up and runningon the 3DS - so hopefully they wont go as mainstream as they did with the DS.

I do love buying 3DS games (and have bought about 20 at ful retail value) but theyre just too damn expensive to play everything.

Agreed, full whack €45/€50 games for a handheld just put me off buying for it, I tend to buy for it during sales & offers really, full retail just seems overpriced.
    On the plus side, it looks like it'll be more complex to keep them up and runningon the 3DS - so hopefully they wont go as mainstream as they did with the DS.

Definitely, it'll be a battle of firmware..much the same as the latter DS flashcart days but Nintendo I'd imagine will not make it easy. The security on the 3DS is far more modern, & likely far more versatile to allow Nintendo to plug holes etc

Anytime my cousins come over they're amazed at my collection. Oh to be that young and enthusiastic again :(

Anytime I look at it I feel regret and shame at all the games I haven't played.

The R4 card is the worst thing I ever bought. I didn't buy a lot of games because I played them on it and ended up paying through the nose down the line for them. I don't mind the price of handheld games, although I do get them cheaper from the US but I find handheld games far better and fresh than the samey stuff on consoles.

I do eventually want to see the 3DS get hacked since it will lead to fan translations and no region locking nonesense but I'd rather it happen much further down the road. The DS was killed far too early by piracy which meant a lot of publishers pulled out of the market before even more great games could be released on the system. Lots of japanese games remained in japan as well like Blood of Bahamut etc.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

And yet the DS has one of the greatest libraries ever. I know for a fact that if it wasnt for flash cards I'd have only played a fraction of them.

I'd prefer an SD card type hack to play imports. Not particularly interested in using ROMs as you end up having loads and not playing anything fully.

Master of the Universe

I used to play a game a week/fortnight on the bus :D

There was such a big difference as you were playing contemporary new releases as they came out (rather than having a huge library of roms that you end up aimlessly scrolling between)

Edit - just to note, I'm talking about ds flash cards in a historical sense - I do not condone piracy kids!

And yet the DS has one of the greatest libraries ever. I know for a fact that if it wasnt for flash cards I'd have only played a fraction of them.

Yes but it could have been so much better. The amount of releases slowed to a trickle in the last 2-3 years with only nintendo and niche developers supporting it. Japanese devs moved to the PSP which although riddled with piracy wasn't as easy as DS flash carts. Then there's all those games that missed out on a western translation on the DS. Sure there's fan translations of stuff like Nanashi no Game, Tales of Innocence etc. but the fact remains that these games would have gotten a western release if not for piracy. We missed out on a hell of a lot more such as the second Miles Edgeworth game, Blood of Bahamut, Archaic Sealed Heart and tonnes more because of piracy.

The problem with the DS flashcart was it was just far too easy to use, children could and did use them all the time. There was no faffing about with a soldering iron and ordering chips from china.

I do think Nintendo should go to hell for region locking the 3DS but I also think that piracy will utterly destroy the Handheld market just as the 3DS is becoming one of the best consoles ever made.

If we lose the 3DS where will we get our portable gaming? PS Vita (snigger)? Or iOS (dear god no!)?

Master of the Universe

Well the way I always look at it is this, the DS is probably the most wildly pirated console of all time. Everyone was doing it. As you said, even kids. It so so easy to do.

And it wasn't something which happened at the end of it's lifetime, it went on for a very large percentage of it.

However, it has one of the greatest libraries of games of all time and did absolutely fantastically. I know we missed some in the end (I was eagerly waiting for Blood of Bahamut :() but apart from those few titles, we got so many good ones.

I doubt the 3DS will ever be as easy to pirate games as there are forced firmware updates if you want to use the eShop.

So if the DS can survive my little 5-10 year old cousins even knowing how to load games onto flash cards, then I reckon the 3DS is going to be fine.

I still think we missed out on a huge amount of quality games on the system because of piracy killing it as a viable platform early in it's life. I don't just mean japanese games never localised but developers dropping the system so quickly. It was massively damaging to the DS market. The only people that were surviving on it were Nintendo and niche publishers like Atlus and Aksys that have fan followings that will not pirate their games since most are collectors.

Square Enix have been totally put off translating any of their titles due to how badly they performed on DS, we may never see Dragon Quest VII here or it's spin-offs thanks to the poor performance of DQIV and V in the West (Nintendo took DQIX, VI and Joker 2 off Square's hands only because Square had already translated them and had wrote them off as a loss before release)

Finished Sonic Adventure as Sonic. The last boss fight is bull****, don't know how many times I fell through the floor. It's such a buggy messy game but not terrible. Now I'm playing as big the cat. **** him and his ****ing froggy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 146 ✭✭paperwork

Well the way I always look at it is this, the DS is probably the most wildly pirated console of all time. Everyone was doing it. As you said, even kids. It so so easy to do.

And it wasn't something which happened at the end of it's lifetime, it went on for a very large percentage of it.

They had flyers for pirated carts on the cork board in my dole office, at that point I knew it had gone mainstream.

Interestingly, I bought a DS from a guy on adverts and it came with what was labelled as a "3DSR4", when i booted it up it just loaded like a regular r4, i didn't even bother trying it in my 3ds, I use the eShop way too much to even bother trying.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Finished Sonic Adventure as Sonic. The last boss fight is bull****, don't know how many times I fell through the floor. It's such a buggy messy game but not terrible. Now I'm playing as big the cat. **** him and his ****ing froggy!
    So, still better than Legend of Dragoon, I see.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The R4 really ruined my experience of the DS.
    It's only now, at the end of the DS lifespan that I get to develop and play a decent selection of great games.
    And this has nothing to do with Nintendo or the handheld market or even the price of carts.
    It had to do with having access to too many games and having too wide a selection with little or nothing actually invested in each one, no more than a click on a rom site.
    And this has been replicated on every single console that had a busy back up scene, or at least such a scene I got wrapped up in.
    So my time with the PS in 96/97 , with the Dreamcast in 99/00, with the PC in the mid 90's, these vibrant times were ruined by a ready and cheap access to large quantities of games with minimal outlay and I barely played any of them as there was always a plentiful supplies of new games around the corner.
    Nope, later I got rid of backups and bought the real deal and was a far happier Ciderman the a result.

• Advertisement

Master of the Universe

:(

(on a side point, fantastic picture!!!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Found my Sonic the Hedgehog Yearbook (1991) on my last trip home. Mammy kept it in great nick for me! <3:)

http://sonic.wikia.com/wiki/Sonic_the_Hedgehog_Yearbook_1991

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,832 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Given Miyazaki has announced his retirement a couple of times previously only to show back up a year or two later with a new feature, this song popped right into my head when I heard the news :pac:

(that said, obviously at his age one of these days he really will retire for good. If it is this time, hopefully the Wind Rises will be the wholly satisfying career-ender neither Ponyo or Howls... managed to be).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

That's because the first guy who was supposed to replace him died and the second guy escaped from Ghibli to do his own stuff. So he had to keep coming back... I really hope they don't think Goru is a good replacement now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    and his ****ing froggy!
    LEAVE FROGGY ALONE!
    leave-britney-alone-02.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

CiDeRmAn wrote: »

is he going to open a fried chicken restaurant?

Sera wrote: »
    LEAVE FROGGY ALONE!
    leave-britney-alone-02.jpg

Nevertheless, Big the ****ing cat is the worst thing about that game, apart from loads of other things..... so there.
    And it's not, not not not, in the same league as Mario64, not in the stadium, the carpark outside, the same postcode, perhaps not even in the same country, Sonic Adventure is perhaps on some rocky island, alone but for it's younger brother, Sonic Adventure 2, shivering against the wind of popular opinion, which says they are crap.
    Of course, this is a holiday in the Bahamas compared to the likes of Sonic: Secret Rings and so on, which should be nuked from orbit....

I can't believe how buggy Sonic Adventure is. I fell through the floor multiple times on the last boss, there's tonnes of animation errors and Big the Cat is just plain broken. I'm amazed the Sonic community loves this game when all the bugs and gameplay faux pas from the hated Sonic 06 are present in SA.

Now it's not altogether terrible, there's some fun to be had from it, I actually kind of enjoyed the fishing with big the cat as well, just moving him around was painful. Put it really isn't a great game.

The story also left me feeling like this:

Edit: Ciderman hates swearing

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

i tried passing the go karts part again but its so boring

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Given Miyazaki has announced his retirement a couple of times previously only to show back up a year or two later with a new feature, this song popped right into my head when I heard the news :pac:

(that said, obviously at his age one of these days he really will retire for good. If it is this time, hopefully the Wind Rises will be the wholly satisfying career-ender neither Ponyo or Howls... managed to be).
    lol never thought I'd see Ben Folds (5) quoted in A and R.
    Great song :)(even if you can hear a phone going off near then end!)
    (managed to pick up a load of US only rare stuff of his/theirs I was missing, at a charity shop for a few quid last month..:))

Master of the Universe

Anyone else have that realization randomly on a depressing Monday that there's a new Breaking Bad out?

Instant mood changer! :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Anyone else have that realization randomly on a depressing Monday that there's a new Breaking Bad out?

Instant mood changer! :D

Watched it at lunch.
    Slightly disappointing compared to last week, thought it was building to a great ending and then meh. I can see Marie getting blamed if someone get's posioned though. :D

Master of the Universe

I will remove that spoiler tag in about 7-8 hours!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

was watchin Pawn Stars this morning saw someone sell an Apple IIGS with lots of games for €100.

did a quick google, turns out she changed her mind and they gave it back to her, sold it on ebay for $315.

I know pawnshops are there to make money, but shows how much they rip people off.

• Advertisement

I will remove that spoiler tag in about 7-8 hours!

Everyone dies, yer man ends up sleeping with yer one. Yer one gets pregnant and turns out the babies aren't yer mans. Series ends forever.

Master of the Universe

Everyone dies, yer man ends up sleeping with yer one. Yer one gets pregnant and turns out the babies aren't yer mans. Series ends forever.

If this is what actually happens over the remainder of the series, your days are numbered :pac:

If this is what actually happens over the remainder of the series, your days are numbered :pac:

It is, Mary told me. She read it in a magazine.

was watchin Pawn Stars this morning saw someone sell an Apple IIGS with lots of games for €100.

did a quick google, turns out she changed her mind and they gave it back to her, sold it on ebay for $315.

I know pawnshops are there to make money, but shows how much they rip people off.

Lost all interest in that show when I read about the scripting & fake customers etc. My own fault for believing there was much, if any, reality in reality tv shows.

EnterNow wrote: »
    Lost all interest in that show when I read about the scripting & fake customers etc. My own fault for believing there was much, if any, reality in reality tv shows.

I don't watch those "reality" shows

The worst is storage hunters where every storage unit always contains a super rare item worth $10,000,000

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement