Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arcade and Retro General Chat in Karkariko Village Tavern: Live Ocarina Music

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,894 ✭✭✭Steve X2

EnterNow wrote: »
    Do it 'Steve Style' & play through it twice to atone

I'll buy the original to pay for my sins.
    Or I'll have a look in the storage thingy to make sure I don't already own it. Been buying games lately and then finding I already have them :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,036 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

So the game I'm working on got selected by the college for the showcase piece for this year. It'll be on the news and in the papers. Now to just get it finished!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,036 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Apparently Gamestop in the US is requiring it's employees to cold call customers about pre-ordering games or if they have a pre-order to remind them they can trade used games off the price of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

So...did somebody not notice all the TimeSplitters talk over the past few days?

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-09-06-crytek-continues-timesplitters-rewind-support-as-ps4-version-announced

Meh, it was a poor mans Unreal Torunament for people without a PC.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Meh, it was a poor mans Unreal Torunament for people without a PC.
    Funnily enough, I have a guy who said that UT3 on PS3 was the closest to a proper TimeSplitters game, this gen.

God I loved that game. Ability to host dedicated servers, free DLC and mod support, of all things, on the PS3 version.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

I am disappoint.

I wouldn't buy that for a dollar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

It has a bit of a bang of the Total Recall remake off it... Think I'll be staying well away... Anyway we already got an awesome Robocop movie last year with Dredd.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I saw the trailer yesterday, utter utter tripe.
    And a load of stars in it too, but no bang of Total Recall remake, more like the Super Mario Bros movie....
    I even spotted a dung ed-209 wanna be in there.
    None of the ultra violence of the original either, no satire, I imagine the writers only saw the movie poster rather than the film.
    Feck :(

We already got a great Robocop movie last year. It was called Dredd.

I managed to snag a hunky samurai in Hakuoki and then game overed. I never knew you could game over in a Visual Novel!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,833 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I'm a little baffled at how angry people are getting over the Robocop trailer TBH. It's hardly like the franchise has gone from strength to strength since the Verhoveen film. Even if the remake is absolute crap, which as ever seems inevitable, it's just another crap Robocop film in a sad, limp series.

Like all cynical remakes, just ignore the damn thing. The original ain't going anywhere.

I quite like Robocop 2. But everything after that is pretty terrible other than the Robocop 3 game on the Amiga.

Robocop can't sink any lower than selling fried chicken in Japan though:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I saw it on release when I was working in the States, I had a ball!
    The big screen definitely suits it.
    Unfortunately most will only have seen it on tv so it probably loses some impact.
    I remember picking up the comic book adaptation and enjoying that too.
    But the third one was awful and killed the whole deal, never mind the lousy tv series.

I suppose it's relevance is in the change in action films from the 80s into the 90s, along with the likes of Die Hard.
    Also it slotted in with Verhovens output rather than its own franchise.

I look forward to my son being old enough to watch the original with me in a few years, that and Airplane!

DinoRex wrote: »
    I quite like Robocop 2. But everything after that is pretty terrible other than the Robocop 3 game on the Amiga.

Robocop can't sink any lower than selling fried chicken in Korea though:

Fixed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Yeah Johnny is right, few years time it will just about another "****...remember that" clipnote.

First Robocop is fantastic, and I enjoy the second one, even if just for the amazing stop motion effects in the final scenes

Plus Robocop vs Terminator on MD and SNES is brilliant!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

I managed to snag a hunky samurai in Hakuoki and then game overed. I never knew you could game over in a Visual Novel!
    sure what about the ninja pigeons?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,388 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Robocop is one of my favourite films. Was mad about it when I was a kid, had loads of Robocop figures (you could put caps in their back and fire them, truely weird!!!)

Went to see it in the cinema somewhere in town in the last couple of years - amazing on the big screen.

• Advertisement

o1s1n wrote: »
    Robocop is one of my favourite films. Was mad about it when I was a kid, had loads of Robocop figures (you could put caps in their back and fire them, truely weird!!!)

Went to see it in the cinema somewhere in town in the last couple of years - amazing on the big screen.
    Ahhh, I remember back seeing it when I was 6. Staying up to watch a violent movie (on a school night, I think) was just bliss.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Yeah not sure what the fuss is about with Robocop. It was a decent bit of fun when it first came out, but as someone else around here is fond of saying, it hasn't aged well at all. I tried watching it again recently on Netflix and I couldn't stick it for more than 20 mins, cringeworthy 80's cheapness. It's certainly no Terminator or Predator.

Master of the Universe

Really? I think it holds up great! Some of the Ed-209 stop motion looks a bit dodgy, but who cares when you have Kurtwood Smith throwing people out of the back of trucks :pac:

Can you fly, Bobby?

Can you fly, Bobby?

ign-darwin-awards-worst-crooks-ever-20091204015341314.jpg

Also (don't want to link them directly because the mods might be on my ass for graphic content)...

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3738/9226598099_e66baa7527_o.gif

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7318/9322270633_98cb4d4412_o.gif

And Sam Jackson thinks the original would be rated PG-13. Heh. All this is at least NC-17.

Master of the Universe

That ED-209 scene is one of the greatest filmed scenes from the 80s ever. The relentlessness of the shooting is just brilliant.

I'm still holding out hope for a proper BD release of the movie (like the original Total Recall got once the remake came out). The one currently available is based off a very old transfer.

Also, anyone ever see the exquisite Robocop rap?

Ronny Cox and Kurtwood Smith both playing against type, brilliant pieces of casting.
    Amazing physical effects work by Rob Bottin, he also did the Total Recall stuff.
    Only the cgi stuff looka ropey but, remember, this is the vision of our now from the point of view of the mid 80's, like Steampunk but 100 years on.

I'd buy that for a dollar!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,833 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I'd actually say Robocop holds up better than most of the 80s action sci-fi films - it is far more self-aware, playful and satirically inclined. Plus quite a bit funnier. It's hardly cinematic royalty or anything, but it has more fun with its inherent ridiculousness than most of its peers.

Master of the Universe

I love the absolute lack of true CGI, something which has become quite abhorrent to me, it's just like white noise when I see it in films now. Cant watch it at all.

• Advertisement

Forget about those 1980s action films with their squibs and stop motion - 2001: A Space Odyssey remains the definitive proof of how practical effects were an artform in themselves, all the more impressive when married with slow, long-take cinematography.

Also, for Sparks: Edge's making of Boulder Dash article.

Forget about those 1980s action films with their squibs and stop motion - 2001: A Space Odyssey remains the definitive proof of how practical effects were an artform in themselves, all the more impressive when married with slow, long-take cinematography.

I find that it's even more amazing when you find out that all the effects were done in camera. No compositing at all. Especially when you compare it to Star Wars. And because of that, the effects have aged a lot better than Star Wars' has. Well, except for the backdrop of Africa in the beginning, which looks so flat, what with it being a front projected image and all that.

Master of the Universe

That film is unbelievably good from an effect standpoint. I threw it on recently enough after buying a projector - still has me double taking the year of release, mind blowing. Looks far better than most CGI films.

On point number the first
    Absolutely, although I personally preferred Trumbulls work on Silent Running.

And on point number B
    I'd say Sparks is going through the various stages now, the first being excitement of setting THAT game getting is just desserts, followed by bliss and wonder as he reads through the article, bathing in the subject matter so close to his heart.
    Lastly well come to discontentment and anger as he starts to see the errors and lashes out at those he loves before writing a personal letter to Tony Mott, threatening his family for preferring Repton...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Phantasy star nova has been announced for the vita aswell as soul sacrifice 2.

guarantee we will never see phantasy star in the west...stupid sega

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭megaten

Phantasy star nova has been announced for the vita aswell as soul sacrifice 2.

guarantee we will never see phantasy star in the west...stupid sega

Its probably going to be a monster hunter clone with a story since it has 4 player multiplayer so I wouldn't be too sad.

megaten wrote: »
    Its probably going to be a monster hunter clone with a story since it has 4 player multiplayer so I wouldn't be too sad.

Monster Hunter is a Phantasy Star Online clone!

I just want to see Phantasy Star Online 2 over here. Heard it's great. The portable Phantasy Stars were excellent as well on PSP and DS so one of Vita would be an insta buy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

So, the Vita TV...handheld gaming resolutions blown up to big screen tv's? Hmm, I wonder what it'll look like in action

• Advertisement

So, the Vita TV...handheld gaming resolutions blown up to big screen tv's? Hmm, I wonder what it'll look like in action

How are they going to implement the rear touch pad?
    My arms can't reach around my TV as it is!

a ban to the first person to quote the phrase "reach around"!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Can you not already connect a Vita to a TV?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,894 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Andrew76 wrote: »

Yes but it's a bit of a hack job i think.

Andrew76 wrote: »

No idea, the one I got remains boxed away until Xmas. The Vita TV seems to allow:

Vita games on TV
    Vita games on the PS4
    Remote play for PS4
    PSP & PS1 game useage on both tv & PS4 too.

Regards the touchpad Cidey, not too sure but the PS4 pad has a front facing touch pad so maybe that?

It all seems to be getting very complicated, when what I want from my console is simplicity, I want to play games.
    Is it too much to ask?
    The new Vita will have extra ram, will this mean a loss of features in certain new games for original Vita owners?
    Warning, Warning, Interesting times ahead!

They're replacing the much loved OLED screen, with an LCD screen in the newer Vita too. So if you see the existing model cheap, I'd grab it at this stage because it's about to be discontinued. No more oled goodness.

Re the extra ram, no idea if it'll affect future titles on existing hardware, I doubt it really as they're both still the 'Vita' family, there's no product distinction. There could be more social & streaming stuff on the horizon that the existing model will struggle with, not too sure

• Advertisement

DinoRex wrote: »
    Monster Hunter is a Phantasy Star Online clone!

I know but its not a 'phantasy star' clone. I like the phantasy star aesthetic but if their going to do a single player one again I'd prefer one that isn't geared towards co-op.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    It all seems to be getting very complicated, when what I want from my console is simplicity, I want to play games.
    Is it too much to ask?
    The new Vita will have extra ram, will this mean a loss of features in certain new games for original Vita owners?
    Warning, Warning, Interesting times ahead!

I think the extra ram is for multitasking. I don't think games will have access to it.

megaten wrote: »
    I know but its not a 'phantasy star' clone. I like the phantasy star aesthetic but if their going to do a single player one again I'd prefer one that isn't geared towards co-op.

I'd only want that if they take Rieko Kodama out of her mobile phone/social gaming dungeon and set her working on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

They're replacing the much loved OLED screen, with an LCD screen in the newer Vita too. So if you see the existing model cheap, I'd grab it at this stage because it's about to be discontinued. No more oled goodness.

Depends on the type of LCD screen they're using.
    Using phones as an example, I have a HTC One X as my personal phone, a Samsung Galaxy SIII as my work phone. The SGSIII has an OLED, the One X has an IPS LCD screen. While the OLED certainly makes colours 'pop' as they say, this is largely down to oversaturation. The screen on the One X is still probably the best I've seen on a portable device.

The blacks on the OLED are obviously better too though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Is it too much to ask?

nobody wants to let us play actual games.
    the Xbone conferences were all tv, television, tv, television, tv, televison.
    and Ninty are releasing about 2 decent games a year.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement