Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arcade and Retro General Chat in Karkariko Village Tavern: Live Ocarina Music

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

nobody wants to let us play actual games.
    the Xbone conferences were all tv, television, tv, television, tv, televison.
    and Ninty are releasing about 2 decent games a year.

Thanks
    I'm sad now :(

good thing I've 60 odd consoles to soothe the misery....

There, I feel better now :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    It all seems to be getting very complicated, when what I want from my console is simplicity, I want to play games.
    Lol...and console owners say PC gaming is too complicated....;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,890 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I have to agree. The hoops I have to jump through to enable a console on my router are ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I have to agree. The hoops I have to jump through to enable a console on my router are ridiculous.

You need a better router. ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Yeah all this new console stuff is blowing the head off me...I'm going to pick up a new (old) vita though. They seem to be well worth owning at this stage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

I think owning a vita should be mandatory if you have the funds. It's region free! If only the 3ds was likewise so.
    Decent enough selection of games for it in video stores over here in Canada.
    They have HMV here too but no games and they looked at me funny when I asked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,269 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Is there anything worth playing on the Vita now that's unique to the console?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭megaten

o1s1n wrote: »
    Is there anything worth playing on the Vita now that's unique to the console?

gravity rush

Master of the Universe

Looks really interesting - still the type of game I'd rather play on a console though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,890 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

megaten wrote: »
    gravity rush

This.

Also Persona 4 The golden is the preferred way to play that game. If you have not played it yet and instead are wasting your time on crushingly average stuff like Ni No Kuni then you need to change that right away.

Y's IV is coming as well which looks fantastic.

You also said you don't have a PSP, well PSP games look staggering on the screen and the prices they go for on PSN are fantastic even outside of sales.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

I had a PSP and played through absolutely loads of games, but really didn't enjoy it as a console at all (for the above mentioned 'playing console games on a handheld' reason)

Kind of worried to drop the fundage on a Vita and have the same thing happen again! :(

Master of the Universe

Just realized something, I'm about 7 hours into FF VI, enjoying it - but GTA V is only 8 days away! better get the FF VI skates on!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Just realized something, I'm about 7 hours into FF VI, enjoying it - but GTA V is only 8 days away! better get the FF VI skates on!

Ninja edit ftw. ;)

Wonder will V be much of an improvement over IV - Vice City was the last great GTA imo although I haven't played the DLC that came out for IV. Anyway, hope you watched the latest BB, that's where the excitement is these days. :cool:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Yeah, I was going to pick up Rayman Legends today but then realised there wasn't a hope in hell I'd even make a dent in it before GTAV. Hell, it took me like a month to play through the amazing Papers, Please with a final clock time of seven hours. Too little time, too many games :(

Much time will be dedicated to GTAV though. I'm one of the few who has a lot of love for IV, mostly because they created one of the most incredible settings in the history of gaming. I spend hours just exploring the place in absolute awe, and a lot of the gameplay experiments were fascinating but flawed. If the sequel offers everything that game did well, with the scope and refinement they're promising, it will be a phenomenal achievement.

Decent alternate take on IV on Eurogamer at the moment actually, much of which I'd agree with: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-09-08-retrospective-grand-theft-auto-4
    wasting your time on crushingly average stuff like Ni No Kuni.

I hope you've actually played Ni No Kuni this time :pac:

I had a PSP and played through absolutely loads of games, but really didn't enjoy it as a console at all (for the above mentioned 'playing console games on a handheld' reason)

Kind of worried to drop the fundage on a Vita and have the same thing happen again! :(

The thing is the PSP got so good at the end of it's life that it's worth looking into the system again. There's a serious amount of great Japanese content on it.
    I hope you've actually played Ni No Kuni this time :pac:

Unfortunately. Take away the graphics which are the only ghibli contribution and it's bottom of the barrel Level 5 stuff with a bad story even by Hino's standards. It ain't bad but it's not great either and that battle system is a chore.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Unfortunately. Take away the graphics which are the only ghibli contribution and it's bottom of the barrel Level 5 stuff with a bad story even by Hino's standards. It ain't bad but it's not great either and that battle system is a chore.

Fair enough, it's not exactly a masterpiece, but I love the presentation, the atmosphere, the music, the world and even the battle system. I do have to take your opinion with several pinches of salt in this case though, since you had already waged a vendetta against it before you'd even gone near it! Your mind had already been made up before you loaded up the disc.

Master of the Universe

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Ninja edit ftw. ;)

Wonder will V be much of an improvement over IV - Vice City was the last great GTA imo although I haven't played the DLC that came out for IV. Anyway, hope you watched the latest BB, that's where the excitement is these days. :cool:

Just finished watching it this moment.
    Dat ending!!! :eek: The moment Hank made that phone call to Marie I instantly though 'oh o!' - bit conflicted, he's one of my favourite characters in the show so I don't want him to die - but it's better television if he does! :(

Master of the Universe

Yeah, I was going to pick up Rayman Legends today but then realised there wasn't a hope in hell I'd even make a dent in it before GTAV. Hell, it took me like a month to play through the amazing Papers, Please with a final clock time of seven hours. Too little time, too many games :(:

A month to play a 7 hour game? Wow! And I thought I was bad :D

Going to try my best to get to the end of FF VI over the next week, don't think I have much on, so it may be possible.
    The thing is the PSP got so good at the end of it's life that it's worth looking into the system again. There's a serious amount of great Japanese content on it.
    chore.

Yeah, I'll definitely have to revisit it, even if just for Gunhound EX!

/Edit, just bought Gunhound there on Playasia - no excuse not to pick up a PSP now :)

My heart after that Breaking Bad
    cliffhanger
    . Vince Gilligan is a little ****! A brilliant, brilliant little ****.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 146 ✭✭paperwork

Oh lord I just realised that the buttons on Mastersystem are labelled 1 and 2!

Oh, and should I pick up Half Life for the original Xbox? I've never played it coz I'm a console gamer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

damn this music is awesome

anime seems familiar

Master of the Universe

I think my favourite piece of Anime set to music has to be the Manga Entertainment clip reel that was on all their VHS tapes.

There was a record store down at Bray Dart station and for some reason it had The Guyver 1-7 and Doomed Megalopolis 2&3 tapes. Bought them not knowing what they really were (I'd recently seen Akira and Patlabor on Channel 4 and was really interested in this mental Japanese animation)

Anyway, must have been 11 or 12 - this clip blew my mind. Suddenly ran out and bought millions of tapes (Virgin Megastore was brilliant for them up until it closed down :()

Holy ****, I remember that manga trailer! The music always reminded me of the soundtrack to Quake II. I used to love getting a dvd whatever Saturday I could on the way home from work when I was like 14-15

And breaking bad........I was going to wait and watch the last bunch of episodes together, but I cant because everyone will spoil it for me before I watch them....Just finished watching it this minute and my god! next monday cant come fast enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

On point number the first
    Absolutely, although I personally preferred Trumbulls work on Silent Running.

And on point number B
    I'd say Sparks is going through the various stages now, the first being excitement of setting THAT game getting is just desserts, followed by bliss and wonder as he reads through the article, bathing in the subject matter so close to his heart.
    Lastly well come to discontentment and anger as he starts to see the errors and lashes out at those he loves before writing a personal letter to Tony Mott, threatening his family for preferring Repton...

Soon i shall

*sharpens knife*

Fair enough, it's not exactly a masterpiece, but I love the presentation, the atmosphere, the music, the world and even the battle system. I do have to take your opinion with several pinches of salt in this case though, since you had already waged a vendetta against it before you'd even gone near it! Your mind had already been made up before you loaded up the disc.

I never made my mind up on it and never gave my opinion in the game or pretended I had played it. I was just saying what I'd heard about it on Retronauts and WAHP. They were pretty much on the ball with it. It reminds me of Rogue Galaxy in a way, gorgeous but just a bit dull with untapped potential. Also Hino is a dreadful writer. Level 5 seem to do much better when collaborating on other peoples IP's like Dragon Quest.

• Advertisement

I never made my mind up on it and never gave my opinion in the game or pretended I had played it.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=83400564&postcount=6984

"The safe and boring Ni No Kuni... Fur coat no knickers... What people should be playing is Crimson Shroud"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭megaten

Still haven't gotten round to Ni no Kuni but I don't know if I care about level 5 games anymore. I'm not even sure if announcing Dark Cloud 3 would excite me.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=83400564&postcount=6984

"The safe and boring Ni No Kuni... Fur coat no knickers... What people should be playing is Crimson Shroud"

Never said I played it that was just what I heard about it. And people really should be playing crimson shroud as well. Thought it was obviously hyperbolic as well :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

paperwork wrote: »
    Oh, and should I pick up Half Life for the original Xbox? I've never played it coz I'm a console gamer.

Is the first one available on the Xbox, I played through Half Life on the PS2 and I played Half Life 2 on the Xbox.
    I played through the latter on the 360 as well, as part of the excellent Orange Box.

But yes, Half Life is complete class and everyone should own it and play it asap.

Black Mesa is an amazing free hd remake, all it asks is that you have a Steam account and something downloaded and running the current Source engine

• Registered Users Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

(Virgin Megastore was brilliant for them up until it closed down :()
    Sigh. I miss the days when media megastores ruled the earth. Virgin's gone, Zavvi is just an online webstore nowadays and we're only finally getting back HMV now. I remember going into a Zavvi store (I think it used to be a Virgin one) in Cork and it had a bluray selection as far as the eye could see. It was a damn shame that I didn't have a HDTV at the time, as I would have the spree of my life.
    Is the first one available on the Xbox, I played through Half Life on the PS2 and I played Half Life 2 on the Xbox.
    I played through the latter on the 360 as well, as part of the excellent Orange Box.

But yes, Half Life is complete class and everyone should own it and play it asap.

Black Mesa is an amazing free hd remake, all it asks is that you have a Steam account and something downloaded and running the current Source engine
    No, I don't recall seeing an Xbox version of Half Life. Though, I recall the Dreamcast had one that was cancelled near release (which has since been leaked online).

• Advertisement

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/combitstudios/river-city-ransom-underground

River City Ransom sequal, looks like something that could be good, Think I'll be backing this one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

+1 on Black Mesa remake, It's excellent. Shame it ended when you get transported to Xen wasn't expecting that but It should be out soonish, fingers crossed

Master of the Universe

Sigh. I miss the days when media megastores ruled the earth. .

Virgin Megastore in the quays in town was my Mecca. Was really sad the day that closed down. Used to travel from Bray in on the dart with my mate on the weekends.

The games section was brilliant. Had an absolutely huge area for PC games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I bought many a game there, my launch PS1 too. I remember seeing a chap handing in £300 for a Mega CD when they were being retailed, that was HUGE money back in the early 90's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

It had a great selection of board games and RPGs as well... not to mention Laser Discs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

DinoRex wrote: »
    It had a great selection of board games and RPGs as well... not to mention Laser Discs.
    Awww, man, if I was born 10-15 years earlier, I'd be all over that format.

Master of the Universe

Jesus! I'd say he was soon to regret that purchase :D

They really did have everything in there. The floor space (in my memory) seemed to be massive. Also had Warhammer/Magic The Gathering and loads of other nerd related stuff. If I remember correctly there was a great area for posters too.

I wonder why it closed down? Was long before the internet came along and made online purchasing go mainstream.

EnterNow wrote: »
    I bought many a game there, my launch PS1 too. I remember seeing a chap handing in £300 for a Mega CD when they were being retailed, that was HUGE money back in the early 90's

I, being of an older vintage, used to buy my cassettes there, both music and Spectrum games.
    Good times.

The building used to house a large department store called McBirneys, with the sign still inset into the cement at the doorway, probably still there.....

I, being of an older vintage, used to buy my 8-track tapes there, & witnessed parts of the 1916 rising just across the street, where bullet holes in the statues still remain.

Good times

Respect.

Master of the Universe

I almost choked on my tea :D

• Advertisement

EnterNow wrote: »
    Respect.

I still was allowed by the Irish Free State to drive a horseless carriage, I'd come over there and give you a sound thrashing, or at least get one of my catholic servants to do it for me.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Well, I did what I said couldn't be done.
    I did what the experts said was simply impossible.
    And, no, it wasn't staying entirely continent for the day, we all have our little accidents.

It was that I spent 30 minutes in the company of Streets of Rage 2, or rather Bare Knuckle 2, depending on the switch settings.
    And I still don't like it.
    I don't like the palette swapped enemies.
    I don't like the gameplay.
    I don't like the music, sorry I can't stand the music, move over Offspring, welcome to early 90's piano house, Straight Outta Belgium Y'all!!

At least I can say I tried.

It was that I spent 30 minutes in the company of Streets of Rage 2, or rather Bare Knuckle 2, depending on the switch settings.
    And I still don't like it.
    I don't like the palette swapped enemies.
    I don't like the gameplay.
    I don't like the music, sorry I can't stand the music, move over Offspring, welcome to early 90's piano house, Straight Outta Belgium Y'all!!

At least I can say I tried.

Ah at this stage I really have to start asking serious questions about you man :P, the game is just 16bit 90's Sega charm through & through! Gameplay is on par for a side scrolling beat 'em up, but the music & art design I think just make it so memorable. It's not a masterpiece by any stretch, but it is a great Megadrive game.

Actually on the subject, is the NTSC version of SoR3 a better game due to reduced difficulty or something?

Master of the Universe

NTSC Jap Bare Knuckle III isn't as punishingly hard yeah, it also has the original game intro and the uncensored characters. (Poor Ash!)

Cidey, to be honest I think you're just trying not to like the game at this point.

You don't like palette swaps? Welcome to 90s gaming! :pac: Here are some nice sprite examples from Batman Returns, the side scroller you love - notice anything about the sprites?

23445.png

You aren't actually asking me that question are you?
    It's like asking Retr0 for his favourite part of LoD!

What is the difference between SoR2 and BK2 anyways?
    No switch setting will let me play the US version, only the EU and Jap ones.

NTSC Jap Bare Knuckle III isn't as punishingly hard yeah, it also has the original game intro and the uncensored characters. (Poor Ash!)

Cidey, to be honest I think you're just trying not to like the game at this point.

You don't like palette swaps? Welcome to 90s gaming! :pac: Here are some nice sprite examples from Batman Returns, the side scroller you love - notice anything about the sprites?

23445.png

Yeah but like, they're all different clowns really..... or something.....

And why give me grief over the one or two of the genre I can tolerate?

I like Batman Returns, the film.
    And as licences went, the game was brilliant, everything capturing the look of the cinema, and the only one to do it until Arkham Asylum came along.
    So it's more that than the genre, which was incidental.

You know what would have been great, a Judge Dredd game like that, rather than the Alien 3 derived game we got instead.

Master of the Universe

It's a really unbelievable coincidence isn't it????

Love this.

enhanced-buzz-32084-1378744460-44.jpg
    You aren't actually asking me that question are you?
    It's like asking Retr0 for his favourite part of LoD!

What is the difference between SoR2 and BK2 anyways?
    No switch setting will let me play the US version, only the EU and Jap ones.

No big differences in SOR2/BK 2.

Japan : Panties & Cigars
    EU : Panties
    US : none

Master of the Universe

From HarecoreGaming101; worth a read.

Even if you couldn't get past the monotony of the original Streets of Rage, you'll find a lot to like about part 2. For starters, the action moves along at a much quicker pace, which alone leads to a vastly superior title. As opposed to the overly similar cast of the original, each character has a vastly different feel to them, and the movesets are more character specific. There are many more attacks for each character, which makes fighting seem far less repetitive. Especially important is the introduction of specials (double tap Forward & attack), which makes it much easier to take on multiple foes at once. Instead of the fire bomb from the original, each character has two of their own Final Fight-style crowd control moves that are performed at the cost of a little of your health. You can even hurl your weapons at people, and each character has their own speed, range, and strength for weapon attacks. Enemies aren't as hesitant to fight this time, which also greatly improves the pacing of the game.

• Advertisement

I might have been playing it in 50hz..... I'll let that sink in. ...

I'll give BK2 a whirl, see if I can eek any pleasure out of it.
    But will you all still respect me if I change my mind?
    Assuming you all respect me now?

Hey, stop that laughing down the back!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement