Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arcade and Retro General Chat in Karkariko Village Tavern: Live Ocarina Music

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

o1s1n wrote: »
    Somehow managed to snag a BIN ebay lot of 21 Akira cels for £75 :eek:

Over the moon so I am.

Have decided to rescan my whole collection and create a blog to share them with the world. Better than festering in the closet.

This may take some time. (also might help generate a few more sales!)

Very rough at the moment. Just threw up a few pieces from a sequence towards the end to generate some content.

http://akiracels.wordpress.com/

awesome , now i will forever be envy of you :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,269 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

awesome , now i will forever be envy of you :(

Keep an eye on it, should have another 100+ uploaded in the coming weeks :) (unless I get lazy of course)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

Sera wrote: »
    not that I've seen when I was out there 2 weeks ago, where is it meant to go?
    I don't even think it was announced to reopen while you were there.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,890 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

So apparently the game I'm working on is getting launched on the 25th, not released mind you. Hope to feck we get it finished now. It seems free of major bugs and only a day of tweaks will have it ready if no major bugs pop up. Got an iPad so I can show it off to employers at the expo, it's weird seeing it running on an iPad!

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    So apparently the game I'm working on is getting launched on the 25th, not released mind you. Hope to feck we get it finished now. It seems free of major bugs and only a day of tweaks will have it ready if no major bugs pop up. Got an iPad so I can show it off to employers at the expo, it's weird seeing it running on an iPad!
    If you think your game is going to ape Legend of Dragoon, you've got another thing coming.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,890 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

If you think your game is going to ape Legend of Dragoon, you've got another thing coming.

I recorded myself saying flury of styx and Volcano! which the character shouts everytime he takes a step forward. Also everytime you want to use an item, attack, enter the menu, pause or change scene you need to perform a 10 second long QTE sequence. And if you thought that wasn't fatihful enough it all runs at 12 frames per second for that PAL LoD experience!

I recorded myself saying flury of styx and Volcano! which the character shouts everytime he takes a step forward. Also everytime you want to use an item, attack, enter the menu, pause or change scene you need to perform a 10 second long QTE sequence. And if you thought that wasn't fatihful enough it all runs at 12 frames per second for that PAL LoD experience!
    You know...for a guy who hates the game so much, you sure as hell love to talk about it...IN DETAIL!

You don't easily forget the details of a game that was so boring it nearly made me think I didn't like videogames anymore.

You don't easily forget the details of a game that was so boring it nearly made me think I didn't like videogames anymore.
    Ahhh, much like GTA IV.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

What kind of cable should I be looking to get for a Wiii, rgb one be grand? Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

If your TV can take it, get a component cable. Much much better picture over composite or RGB SCART.

If your TV can take it, get a component cable. Much much better picture over composite or RGB SCART.

Mush better than composite sure but I find it hard to notice the difference between RGB. Sure component will cost about as much so get that if you can for the slight visual boost.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,753 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Master of the Universe

Use Wii RGB myself on a CRT. Looks fairly perfect to me :)

Would use component though if it was on anything non CRT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

I think I should start smoking!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

There is just so much wrong with a cartoon advertising a USB/Cigarette Lighter, oh dear.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭MrVestek

I would say 'wtf Japan?!' but so much wtf comes from Japan that I don't know why I'm surprised...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Steve X2

65d1.jpg

New video is up guys, starting a new series on 'things to do with the Raspberry Pi'.

Mine has been sitting on a shelf since I bought it (which I suspect is a situation familiar to some) so I thought I'd start a tutorial series exploring the power you can unleash.

The reason I'm posting it here is that the first few episodes will focus on setting up, configuring and using Retropi, a multi emulator OS.

The general idea being not to get entangled in a Linux command line.

Any and all feedback or constructive criticism welcomed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Just catching up on everything now and seen an email from videogamesplus. Rule if rise order was cancelled because atlus no longer has the rights to the game :'(

And you'll be glad to know dick is fine and is a man who lives in spain and drops people to and from the airport.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Ok,

Time to lay off of fellow posters.

Move along now.

Mod.

Ahh lads tis only a bit o'fun!

Master of the Universe

Achilles wrote: »
    Ahh lads tis only a bit o'fun!

There's always fun, but then there's that bit when someone goes a little too far and then it's just uncomfortable for all involved. :pac:

Fair enough, no offense was meant but if any was received then my sincerest apologies!

Master of the Universe

Achilles wrote: »
    Fair enough, no offense was meant but if any was received then my sincerest apologies!

Oh I wasn't referring to yourself! Saw something else this morning. Nevermind ;)

I remain as I ever am - confused. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Ugh, since dropping the CRT & having been using the lcd for retro gaming, I've noticed the dreaded cross-hatch effect has appeared when running the Snes through it. It does the same for Gamecube too.

I've a suspiscion it's the tv though, I remember reading a while back about it & read that some Samsung tv's have a strange way of dealing with sync signals or something. Grr. I wonder if running it through that all in one scanline generator someone posted a while back would help/fix it, as it might use it's own sync instead of the console no?

It's a TV problem. It could be a badly wired RGB socket but more than likely it's just the terrible upscaler. I'm getting it with all my RGB consoles as well even with consolegoods cables. They work fine on my parents LCD downstairs and were fine on my CRT when I had it years ago.

Master of the Universe

What if you were to run it through a real scaler rather than the one in the TV I wonder? Or is the one in the TV always going to mess up the picture?

Just ordered a copy of GTA V from Gamesnash. Talk about leaving it late. Was sure they'd be sold out. Thank feck!

Now, to try and get through 10 hours of FF VI over the weekend. It has to be done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

I'm really enjoying this Megaman ZX on DS. I definitely reckon I'll check out more Megaman titles aftet his.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Just ordered a copy of GTA V from Gamesnash. Talk about leaving it late. Was sure they'd be sold out. Thank feck!

How much is it there? Have been debating whether to pre-order or not. I'm not particularly fussed at the moment, despite drooling over the trailers, but I know once I see everyone on my friends list playing it I'll want it.

Speaking of CRT and LCD TV's, I ordered one of these last night.
    http://arcadeforge.net/Scaler-and-Strike-Devices/SLG-SCART::43.html

Seems like it might come in handy for.... something. I dunno, it looked shiny and stuff.

fa35.jpg
    This is the last project called Retro TV / SLG Scart. It gives just Scanlines to RGB SCART consoles without any need of additional scaler or sync stripper. It`s easy to install and to configure.

Installation:

- Step 1 : Connect it inbetween Your RGB Scart Console and your LCD with Scart input.
    - Step 2 : Plug in Power Supply Unit

That's all. Turn on and off the scanlines, adjust the scanlines level, just as you want.

It's a TV problem. It could be a badly wired RGB socket but more than likely it's just the terrible upscaler. I'm getting it with all my RGB consoles as well even with consolegoods cables. They work fine on my parents LCD downstairs and were fine on my CRT when I had it years ago.
    What if you were to run it through a real scaler rather than the one in the TV I wonder? Or is the one in the TV always going to mess up the picture?

Now, to try and get through 10 hours of FF VI over the weekend. It has to be done.

Only seems to happen on Ninty consoles when using RGB, the proper consolegoods cables too. Scaler could be an option maybe? Must try the Megadrive to be sure actually

Steve SI wrote: »

Seems like it might come in handy for.... something. I dunno, it looked shiny and stuff.

fa35.jpg
    Cool. Any pictures of it in action?

Master of the Universe

How much is it there? Have been debating whether to pre-order or not. I'm not particularly fussed at the moment, despite drooling over the trailers, but I know once I see everyone on my friends list playing it I'll want it.

I think it came to €59 delivered. Seems to be one of the cheapest options. I'll be damned if I'm paying anything to Gamestop!

Yeah my excitement for it has gone up and down. I was crazy excited up to about a month ago, then got a bit 'meh' - today I was reading some threads over in the GTA forum and I'm super excited about it again now. Just dawned on me how close it is. Just such a shame it wasn't released today so we could play it over the weekend!

Nice! Be interested in seeing how you get on with it. I wish they had that available back when I bought my SLG3000. Pretty much just needed the device you bought. (my SLG is VGA out only)
    EnterNow wrote: »
    Only seems to happen on Ninty consoles when using RGB, the proper consolegoods cables too. Scaler could be an option maybe? Must try the Megadrive to be sure actually

It's a weird one. I got that pattern on my CRT from a Snes before, so it's not just LCDs too. Seems it might even be a Nintendo console thing.

That's actually the one I remember seeing, I wonder if it's any use?

Cool. Any pictures of it in action?

I only ordered it last night and it comes from Germany I think so I'll sort out some pics/vids when it arrives.

Here's a crappy vid on youtube:

Master of the Universe

Well it'll give you lovely scanlines, but it's not a scaler - so you might still end up with that strange pattern across the picture.

Well it'll give you lovely scanlines, but it's not a scaler - so you might still end up with that strange pattern across the picture.

Blast my total ignorance of all things slg. I really don't want to go down the road of a chain of devices connected up together, be easier to just replace the damn tv with an LG one or something :o

• Advertisement

EnterNow wrote: »
    Blast my total ignorance of all things slg. I really don't want to go down the road of a chain of devices connected up together, be easier to just replace the damn tv with an LG one or something :o

SLG-IN-A-BOX is what you need, no?

http://arcadeforge.net/SLG-in-a-Box/SLG-in-a-Box::71.html

My TV is LG and has the problem :( It is quite old in fairness.

Ah, cool, But then seeing the price :(

Master of the Universe

Arcade Forge aren't cheap. :(

In fact the scalers they sell can be had far cheaper on ebay. They're generic ones rather than the SLG3000 stuff they make up.

I've just started Final Fantasy VIII. I'm determined to beat it this time.

I have barely given GTA5 a thought but now....
    I'd love the limited edition, having picked the previous one up in it's nifty bag with the art book, key ring and safety deposit box.
    I got mine in Harvey Normans back in the day, I wonder if they'll have them this time.

• Advertisement

deathrider wrote: »
    I've just started Final Fantasy VIII. I'm determined to beat it this time.

My advice, break that ****er wide open. Don't bother using summons, they are utterly useless and if you rely on them you'll end up in a near game finishing position and not being able to beat the bosses.

So tips:

1. Draw as much magic as you can and junction it to your stats. You'll murder everything with just melee attacks.

2. Take control of what abilities your equipped GF learns. A GF will have abilities like strength +10%, or HP +10%. Focus everything into learning these. They will increase from 10, 20 to 30%. These abilities are near useless. After you learn 30% the fun begins. You'll earn an ability like Strength +1, HP +1, etc. this means for every level up with that ability equipped you'll get a +1 stat boost to that stat. You can create absolute monsters doing this.

My advice, break that ****er wide open. Don't bother using summons, they are utterly useless and if you rely on them you'll end up in a near game finishing position and not being able to beat the bosses.

So tips:

1. Draw as much magic as you can and junction it to your stats. You'll murder everything with just melee attacks.

2. Take control of what abilities your equipped GF learns. A GF will have abilities like strength +10%, or HP +10%. Focus everything into learning these. They will increase from 10, 20 to 30%. These abilities are near useless. After you learn 30% the fun begins. You'll earn an ability like Strength +1, HP +1, etc. this means for every level up with that ability equipped you'll get a +1 stat boost to that stat. You can create absolute monsters doing this.

Cheers for the heads up, man. I played through it twice before (once about ten years ago, and again about five years back), but never managed to beat it. The last time round I got to the final boss' third form and pretty much just spent my time getting battered round the place.

Use a faq to get the best weapons for everyone, you'll get their crazy overpowered final weapons. Most of the parts are in the islands of Heaven and Hell. You'll have trouble at first but let Odin/Gilgamesh murder a few guys until you level up enough and then abuse the **** out of junctioning status effects to your attack (100 sleeps on attack is 100% chance of sleep status unless the enemy is immune, that sort of stuff). You'll level up to lvl 100 easy enough. With stat +1 stuff you'll be a monster and probably won't need the best weapons.

Then on the Seifer fight where he kills Odin he has a unique spell you can draw that gives you a near 100% chance of a limit break every turn. Draw as much of that stuff as you can before you finish him off! It stacks well with stats as well you cna get 254, the max strength stat just from junctioning about 30 to strength :)

Deadly stuff. Back when I used to play this, it was the only RPG I'd ever played, but I've got a better head on my shoulders this time round, I reckon. I'll be taking your advice there, for sure.

Why don't you two get a room!

(Preferably with a PS, CRT and a copy of FF8)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement