Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arcade and Retro General Chat in Karkariko Village Tavern: Live Ocarina Music

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

It seems odd that summons aren't the way to go. Especially since they seem to encourage it in the opening boss battle; making you think that this is how the game should be played.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,890 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

FFVIII is a complex beast, far more complex than it needs to be. It's also utterly and ridiculously broken but that's what makes it so much fun. Breaking the game system is the most fun thing about the game. If you really want to break the game then learn the card system and go after the rarest cards. some of the stuff you get off them when you refine them is stupid powerful. Finding rock hard optional boss Omega tough? Use a potion you get from card refining to make you totally immune to all damage.

If you are summoning all the time you'll be bored very quickly because those summon animations just take too long and drag the game out. I found I was better off attacking during the first boss battle. For the length of time it took to summon Shiva I could have attacked 3 times.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,890 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Has anyone else played Kenka Bancho on the PSP? It's bizarre but so much fun! You play the bad ass of the local school during a school trip to Kyoto apparently every school from every prefecture is also on their school trip to Kyoto at the same time so the main character decides this is the perfect opportunity to go around beating the crap out of all the other prefecture's Bancho's (the local badass) to become the Bancho of the whole of Japan.

The whole game is just bizarre. You start fights by starting a staring face off where you have to make up a slagging out of words in a bizarre insult sword fighting sort of and beat up random school kids to get the itinery of the school to find out where the schools bancho will be and at what time. The story is nuts as well. There's a girl obviously in love with the main character but he's too thick to notice and she's afraid he will get sent home for fighting.

Well worth checking it out, it's rough around the edges but it's such a laugh:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Looks quite interesting, might give it a bash tonight. Is that a banana he's fighting in the trailer?

Looks quite interesting, might give it a bash tonight. Is that a banana he's fighting in the trailer?

Yes, yes it is.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Yes, yes it is.

Well that's all the motive anyone should need to play this game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Has anyone else played Kenka Bancho on the PSP?
    I bought mine around the same time as you but never played it yet, not been in the mood to play anything lately, I've so much I dunno what to even pick.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Dammit, I'm after locating a copy of GTA5 collectors edition, and its 129.99
    I want it but there are so many better ways to spend the money!
    I was resigned to waiting for this one....
    Feck!

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Dammit, I'm after locating a copy of GTA5 collectors edition, and its 129.99
    I want it but there are so many better ways to spend the money!
    I was resigned to waiting for this one....
    Feck!

Is that the one with the gas mask included?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Is that the one with the gas mask included?

Its the collectors edition with the bag, cap and other bits and bobs.

I don't know, it's been nice to own the GTA4 collectors edition but hasn't added anything to the game at all.
    I'm so conflicted!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Hyper Light Drifter , This Kickstarter looks great :

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1661802484/hyper-light-drifter?ref=banner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,269 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

eddhorse wrote: »
    Hyper Light Drifter , This Kickstarter looks great :

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1661802484/hyper-light-drifter?ref=banner

Looks really cool. Does that lead character remind you of someone though? I'm not sure if it's the main character from SOTC or Princess Mononoke or something.

Edit - just got a chance to watch the video, okay so it's not just the main character, whole game is like that :D

Feck it, jumped and stuck a deposit down, GTA 5 collectors edition, in Harvey Norman swords, they have a few more on ps3, get em while they're hot!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭eddhorse

o1s1n wrote: »
    Looks really cool. Does that lead character remind you of someone though? I'm not sure if it's the main character from SOTC or Princess Mononoke or something.

Edit - just got a chance to watch the video, okay so it's not just the main character, whole game is like that :D

Looks kinda Journey like if you ask me !

Feck it, jumped and stuck a deposit down, GTA 5 collectors edition, in Harvey Norman swords, they have a few more on ps3, get em while they're hot!

Rockstar games always suck on PS3, the engine is badly optimised for the system. I'll wait and get it on 360, won't have time to play it anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

still got my dufflebag & safety deposit box from GTA 4

still got my dufflebag & safety deposit box from GTA 4

Me too, it's awesome!
    I have the keyring on my key bunch ever since too, it was touch and go if I'd keep it in the package.
    Also I've the sound track box sets for Vice City and San Andreas, plus a sampler of GTA3 music.
    With all that I had little choice but to spring for the game.
    Oh, and it's the 360 version, mainly because I prefer to control my cars via a proper set of analogue triggers rather than the still crappy lower shoulder buttons on the plenty crappy ps3 controller.

Master of the Universe

For a moment I got a glimpse out my back window of the terror of being in Berlin during the 40s :eek:

DSC_0467_zpsa438bc97.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/combitstudios/river-city-ransom-underground

new kickstarter for a game i never heard off but people hear might know what it is and be excited

Feck it, going to pre order GTA 5 and go to the midnight launch in HMV. Never been to a midnight launch before, except for the last Harry potter book.

Master of the Universe

As much as I'd love to go to a midnight launch, the whole work thing is a bit prohibitive - I just know I'd get home, stay up all night playing it and be ****ed in work on Tuesday!

I coincidentally have Tuesday off so I'll be all set!

Midnight launches,
    I found that going there with a cynical attitude just means i didn't enjoy them.
    But if you embrace your inner fanboi, just for the night, they can be a blast.
    Where else are you going to find a crowd as enthusiastic as you are about the game.
    I haven't done one in a while, before consoles were on networks I could pick games up early from the lads in Gamestop head office.
    And now I'm probably a little long in the tooth for it!

Part of the problem is who wants to be trapped in a queue for a couple of hours with a bunch of COD nuts?
    A Katamari midnight launch and I'm there!

It's probably Retr0s nightmare, bring trapped in a LoD launch queue, Foreva!!!

Master of the Universe

You lucky lucky ****er!!!

It'll be interesting to see if anyone rings in to me sick on Tuesday morning. I'll be listening out for the sound of a 360 fan whirring in the background :D

• Advertisement

You lucky lucky ****er!!!

It'll be interesting to see if anyone rings in to me sick on Tuesday morning. I'll be listening out for the sound of a 360 fan whirring in the background :D

"Yeah I won't be in today. I'm sick and the doctor recommended standing beside a jumbo jet."

Feck it, going to pre order GTA 5 and go to the midnight launch in HMV. Never been to a midnight launch before, except for the last Harry potter book.

Was that "Harry Potter and the Furry Goblet"?

Was that "Harry Potter and the Furry Goblet"?

No, I had to have that one anonymously delivered.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,753 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Yeah Tuesday is going to be a long day :( (and tomorrow too knowing that Breaking Bad is knocking around).

I broke my pre order rule and ordered GTAV in HMV because of the DLC blimp. **** all those collectors edition, I am going to fly the hell out of that blimp.

Yeah Tuesday is going to be a long day :( (and tomorrow too knowing that Breaking Bad is knocking around).

I broke my pre order rule and ordered GTAV in HMV because of the DLC blimp. **** all those collectors edition, I am going to fly the hell out of that blimp.

How much is it in HMV do you know?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,753 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

How much is it in HMV do you know?

It's either 54.99 or 59.99, Im not sure. Might be cheaper on the day, imagine everywhere will be pricing as competitively as they can.

I'd have ordered it online but alas I have no way to collect packages for the next week or so so high street prices it is.

Hopefully it's €54.99. I'll ask tomorrow on my lunch break in work. I also would have ordered from amazon (rumour has it that copies have started to arrive to people already) but decided not to.

Master of the Universe

yep, looks like loads of people who ordered from Amazon are now playing the game. I'll know who to go with in future!

Would you not be terrified of playing it before the release date though in case you got banned from XBL or PSN or something?

Would you not be terrified of playing it before the release date though in case you got banned from XBL or PSN or something?

Usually reviewers will have them early and it's not your fault if a shop breaks release day. As long as it's not a month early or something silly like that you'll be fine

Think its mostly Northern Irish people who got it early through Parcel Motel. Standard orders will start filtering through tomorrow, but many will be waiting til later in the week. I know from my past experiences with Amazon you can often be waiting upwards of a week for a new release to arrive with their normal delivery services. The early GTA shipping seems to be a happy exception!

Master of the Universe

I don't go on XBL with my console, never have!

I don't go on XBL with my console, never have!

Yeah I think I remember you saying that before as I've an o1s1n on my friends list, from Dublin with an avatar that kinda looks like you :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

GTA is out tomorrow? I thought it was the end of this month

Slowpoke.gif

Been completely out of the loop with this one. Just haven't got the time to sink into games the last few months....but like GTA does look awfully good :D

Just a heads up if anyone wants to get GTA tonight, went into HMV Dundrum and asked about pre-ordering. They're not taking pre orders today but if you get there at midnight you will get a copy for either console, or so they promised me.

• Advertisement

yep
    Im getting it later.
    got some time off work later this week too :)

Probably going to be playing it all night and tomorrow. Just as well there's an 8GB mandatory install for both consoles so make sure you have space. Also topped up my XBL sub so if anyone wants to play online give me an add. AtavanHalen88

Dont think the multiplayer is going to be online for a few weeks!
    so my mate told me anyways

Master of the Universe

8GB install, that's going to be a painful wait!

Try using it as an excuse to get it early...
    "No MrGamesVendor, I'm only going to play it at midnight but I'll need a couple of hours to install it on my hdd, also, it's the PS3 version so I'll need another 3 hours to install the DayOne 2gb patch"

I don't know if the PS3 version expects a patch immediately but in my experience I wouldn't be surprised!

Master of the Universe

Just realized something - I hope to feck the postman can get the package in through the letterbox. If not, they'll probably leave it at the depo and I'll be too late home from work to collect :eek:

Hate that!
    I know I'll be getting mine tonight and installing it tonight.
    ready for me after work tuesday.
    Then Pizza and beer for dinner!

Edit
    Might even have that bottle of bucky my sister got me for my Bday ;)

Seems like everyone is going gone a bit nuts about GTA5, including myself.
    When is the last time everyone went this mad over a game or hardware release.
    It's a bit cray cray, and da youf say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

I'll probably wait till it's retro. :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Seems like everyone is going gone a bit nuts about GTA5, including myself.
    When is the last time everyone went this mad over a game or hardware release.
    It's a bit cray cray, and da youf say
    My ps3 bit the dust last month ...and Rockstar hate PC..so its no GTAV for me for a while...:(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement