Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arcade and Retro General Chat in Karkariko Village Tavern: Live Ocarina Music

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,269 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Well here's one of the stupidest comments I've ever read :pac:

I hope Bayonetta stays exclusive to Nintendo.
    I’m afraid Sega will **** it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

Can it be March now, please?

Master of the Universe

I think I may have cried a little, cannot wait :)

A slight complaint though, the name? Did they really have to resort to a 'II'?

Demon's Souls
    Dark Souls
    ...Dark Souls II? Ruins the flow!

How about 'Darker Souls' or 'Demon's Dark Souls'? :pac:

The II looks a bit like a H so I can't help reading it in Sean Connery's accent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Should have been called "Deadly Souls"

Either way....cannot wait for it to come out....Midnight launch yeah?

Think this is one collectors edition I'll be picking up though:

qnRdjQYl.jpg

The Japanese one with the weapons is sort of cooler though:

l_523943b0960fa.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

def be pre ordering that

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,890 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Whoever works on the art on the Dark Souls is amazing. There's so many Western developers who do such boring dark fantasy artwork, which is a very generic art style, but Dark Souls absolutely nails it. It's just a stunningly beautiful game despite not being as technically impressive as bigger games.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

March next year....
    That gives me plenty of time to maybe beat another Knight, maybe get another couple of yards into that infernal place, I do love it though.
    Next beers someone can show me how to defeat the Hydra!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,890 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    March next year....
    That gives me plenty of time to maybe beat another Knight, maybe get another couple of yards into that infernal place, I do love it though.

There's a boulder and trees on the right hand side that you can use as a shield against his ranged attack. Wait their with your shield up and he will send all this heads against you. Your shield will block them and as your wan said in that **** film Signs, 'Swing away'. After you get through a few heads he gets easier but more of a pain in the ass to get at the heads. Then your challenge is to try not fall into the lake, it's deceptively deep and drops off sharply. Basically if you get in close you have him nailed. He'll only occassionally use his ranged attack and it's telegraphed so easy to avoid.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Yeah, I've been entertained by the suddenly deepening lake, and then bought it trying to recover my stuff, feck bum willy!

Master of the Universe

The thing about that game is just to try and try and try again. All your failed attempts add up and you eventually learn the boss patterns.

There are two things in that game which are just beyond a pain in the arse and will have you flinging the controller.

The Capra demon and the final boss.

Capra just comes down to luck really, the final boss I never beat simply because there's such a trek to him and I couldn't face doing it over and over. Really drove me mental.

Which is a real shame as I'd love to have played through the game again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

March next year....

You need to get as close as you can without dropping off the edge. The edge is easy enough to see once you have an idea where abouts to look. This will stop him using the water attack and instead he'll attack with his heads. What Retro said :) You can block the head attack easy and hack away at each neck. Last one you need to attack with a ranged weapon (throwing knives if stuck ;)) or a very long spear or something.

To get close you need to make large sweeping runs down toward him, so by the time he spits the water you have moved to the side and forward enough to avoid it.

Hard Mode: The Blue Golems are damaged by the Hydras attacks. Make your way down a little slower and the hydra will catch them behind you and save you the effort killing them. Little bit of luck needed but if you have no souls its worth trying :cool:

With all this talk I just gave a new game on Dark Souls a whirl, had a copy for the 360 that I never played.

Killed by the Asylum Demon and then molested by a load of skeletons. Not a good idea to go from Lollypop Chainsaw to Dark Souls

Hard Mode?
    I thought the whole shagging game was in Hard Mode!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Not a good idea to go from Lollypop Chainsaw to Dark Souls

That's like playing Outrun 2 & then jumping into a game of GT5 :P

With all this talk I just gave a new game on Dark Souls a whirl, had a copy for the 360 that I never played.

Killed by the Asylum Demon and then molested by a load of skeletons. Not a good idea to go from Lollypop Chainsaw to Dark Souls

Come back to the skellies later. That's a high level area. You need to get to the undead burg by going up the hill to the bridge.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Come back to the skellies later. That's a high level area. You need to get to the undead burg by going up the hill to the bridge.

Found that one out the hard way haha

• Advertisement

o1s1n wrote: »
    The thing about that game is just to try and try and try again. All your failed attempts add up and you eventually learn the boss patterns.

There are two things in that game which are just beyond a pain in the arse and will have you flinging the controller.

The Capra demon and the final boss.

Capra just comes down to luck really, the final boss I never beat simply because there's such a trek to him and I couldn't face doing it over and over. Really drove me mental.

Which is a real shame as I'd love to have played through the game again.

If the last boss is proving to be a burden just carry 10 estus flasks and have high poise armour on like havels gear and just keep wacking him

Easiest strategy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

Spoiler about the skellies. Don't read if you'd rather figure it out yourself:
    They will revive once a nearby monk is alive (guy in ragged robes holding a skull light and throws fire at you). A divine weapon will kill them outright regardless, so its a good Idea to have a second weapon with you that's divine :)
    Unless you're a faith character then Divine all the way through :pac:

As a faith character you can actually head down that way a LOT earlier and grab a tasty perk by defeating the boss of the Catacombs. You grab the divine ember early in the game and if you have some faith stat investment you will be dealing fine damage making the journey a hell of a lot easier than other builds. The enemies hit hard and that won't change but you will be far better equipped for them.
    God I love that game. Finally beat Demons Souls last week and it was definitely worth the playthrough but Dark Souls.... jaysus what a game.

The DLC bosses are significantly more frustrating than anything the core game throws at you. They've got a much larger set of attacks that you have to be prepared for.

They might be frustrating but each one is superbly designed and make for excellent battles.

Well pissed off today. Had the final hand over to the client for the game I'm working on. We pitched some ideas to them about how we'd like to improve it hoping we might even get a short contract. Nope, took the code, thanks, see ya, oh and give us that list of improvements so we can get someone else to work on it, good luck on Wednesday with finding a job. I wish I hadn't spent 2 days commenting my code now. Bit of a kick in the nuts that was. Killed myself working on it, managed to stamp out all the known bugs and it's getting shown off in the expo as the stand out project so they are getting free publicity. Just hope it stands to me in interviews.

Out PM had an interview with a reporter from Silicon Republic. He didn't know how the hell we coded it in 3 months (answer: 60 hour weeks for the entire summer). Anyway just need somewhere to rant:P At least I got something productive out of it. I realised an angry retr0gamer is a coding powerhouse and I spent the afternoon making the guts of a 2D engine for my own games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Steve X2

I was in Easons earlier picking up this months Retro Gamer mag when I came across this sitting beside it.

q5zm.jpg

Decided to pick it up even though it was a bit stupidly priced at €14.42. I've had a quick flick through it (it's 220+ pages) and it doesn't seem all that good, but maybe I'll give a proper read on Saturday along with Retro Gamer while on a plane.

Anyone else pick it up?

I wouldn't have a massive amount of confidence in a retro gaming magazine that references Half Life 2 on the cover, not a good sign and suggests their "retro" definition needs tweaking

• Advertisement

I wouldn't have a massive amount of confidence in a retro gaming magazine that references Half Life 2 on the cover, not a good sign and suggests their "retro" definition needs tweaking

Forget the original, its the sequal that defined FPSs! :pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Steve SI wrote: »
    Anyone else pick it up?

Had a flick through it but didn't think it was worth the asking price. Same with most of the other gaming mags these days, Edge and Games TM seem to clock in around the 7 quid mark, PC Gamer even more. Now and again it's nice to get one but not every month, online is free and more up to date. :)

Yeah, but I just seen another retro mag and jumped on it.
    Andrew76 wrote: »
    Had a flick through it but didn't think it was worth the asking price. Same with most of the other gaming mags these days, Edge and Games TM seem to clock in around the 7 quid mark, PC Gamer even more. Now and again it's nice to get one but not every month, online is free and more up to date. :)

It's not worth the money for sure. But it's something to read on the plane I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

I always wondered what I was geekier about - games or science. And now I know. I have a PhD in Theoretical Physics but when I was reading this all I could think about was 'my god that object looks like Tempest'

https://www.simonsfoundation.org/quanta/20130917-a-jewel-at-the-heart-of-quantum-physics/

amplutihedron_span.jpg

Feynman = God, and this god plays the bongos

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Fascinating article ghostchant thanks. Can you recommend any other science related sites/magazines? PM me if you have a list. :)

Scientific American had a great 'Extreme Physics' special edition recently, really interesting read it was.

So apparently Crimson Dragon is amazing.

I now need a XBox One :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    So apparently Crimson Dragon is amazing.

I now need a XBox One :(

No one should ever need an xbox one.

Master of the Universe

For some reason I thought that was going to be a 360 arcade release. :(

For some reason I thought that was going to be a 360 arcade release. :(

It was meant to be initially.

jesus some of the next gen titles are looking so superb

have my eye on infamous second son , the division, destiny, deep down and not to forget my baby Metal Gear solid 5 :D

gaming looking like its taken the fire to the storm :D

jesus some of the next gen titles are looking so superb

have my eye on infamous second son , the division, destiny, deep down and not to forget my baby Metal Gear solid 5 :D

gaming looking like its taken the fire to the storm :D

Meh!
    Games havent inproved since they reached perfection with "Rise of the Robots" :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Meh!
    Games havent inproved since they reached perfection with "Rise of the Robots" :D

Ah yes, fine example of Friday humor :D:D:D:D

And yet when I proclaim my love of Fire Warrior I'm derided and dismissed as a nut!
    No fair!

Steve is well known for his love of Rise of the Robots, it's not humour, it's a sickness! And ECT is the cure, who's with me, I have a spare car battery and some insulated cable in the car boot for just such occasions!

And yet when I proclaim my love of Fire Warrior I'm derided and dismissed as a nut!
    No fair!

Steve is well known for his love of Rise of the Robots, it's not humour, it's a sickness! And ECT is the cure, who's with me, I have a spare car battery and some insulated cable in the car boot for just such occasions!

Sounds like a good time to me :)
    Any chance of a slight choking as well :eek:

• Advertisement

Feynman = God, and this god plays the bongos

Speaking of Feynman

27o.gif

Sounds like a good time to me :)
    Any chance of a slight choking as well :eek:

No, I've done it before, it'll be fine, I'm a professional!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

No, I've done it before, it'll be fine, I'm a professional!

That's what they all say!

I have actually, some 20 years ago, I was a young nurse and was sent to assist with an ECT, and fun it was.....
    I knew something was wrong when it looked like a set from Young Frankenstein....

Anyone know of any retro shops in Krakow?

in honour of yamauchi the metroid composer mixed metroid with super mario land songs

soo awesome

http://mynintendonews.com/2013/09/21/nintendo-composer-remixes-metroid-and-mario-in-honor-of-hiroshi-yamauchi/

Master of the Universe

How cool is this, a list of albums which contain 'vinyl data', mostly for your speccy :)

http://www.kempa.com/2004/03/09/vinyl-data/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭MrVestek

How cool is this, a list of albums which contain 'vinyl data', mostly for your speccy :)

http://www.kempa.com/2004/03/09/vinyl-data/

Great, I already collect Vinyl and some videogame related Vinyl.

Now the nerd in me wants these records with the ZX Spectrum code.

So... thanks for that I guess. *checks bank balance... dies...*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

FantomenK

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCsd5V5axQQ

I dont know has anyone heard of these guys but if you're like me and hadnt heard of them they're pretty cool.

Computer game music essentially.

They did the sound track for a 360 indie game there recently which I keep meaning to buy Rad Raygun I think its called.

Anyway happy listening...

ps - crazy dancy electronica or whatever the hell catagory you'd put this in wouldnt be my normal choice but man its good! :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement