Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arcade and Retro General Chat in Karkariko Village Tavern: Live Ocarina Music

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Just wasted my gaming time this morning waiting on an @sshole to meet uo and buy a phone from me and he never showed, an hour of my day gone.
    He never replied to texts or answered his phone to say where he was despite confirming the meet up yesterday evening.
    Not cool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,389 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

That's a giant pain in the arse!

As a general rule now, if I arrange to meet someone over a deal, I'll contact them on the day too about an hour or so before the meet. (unless it's one of you lovely people of course!)

If they're non responsive then you know they're a timewaster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

1 out of every 3 of my online-arranged sales/purchases find me getting a text at about 40 minutes short of the agreed time, reading 'have to pull out, feel sick; will get back to you', and that be the last heard of'em. Mind, it's a biddy bit better than getting nothing at all.

Oh, and a damnation for those who get rumpled for your not being a particular spot at the set time, though they're responsible for reading the agreement wrong, and the overly cautious as well, who send 7 texts whilst you're two minutes away, and each one has to be replied to before they hit DEFCON.

Wonder why I do sometimes, really.

Master of the Universe

Hah! I feel your pain.

Another one I cant stand is when you meet someone and they start trying to pay for the item with coins. Had that happen recently with someone buying a concern ticket. There's a reason I round to the nearest €5 ffs! :D

Or how about folks who bring 'backup'? Big burly mother****er standing behind them watching every move you make. I'm not selling you meth ffs!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Next time I get told it's a sick mother or a death in the family I'm going to follow them home and check, with an axe I keep in the boot of my car....

And then I was also getting crap from a pushy buyer who wanted it for less than I was prepared to sell it.
    I got a couple of ignorant Pm's, one of them after I relisted, then he PM's me again, looking to buy it for the low sum again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Luckily enough I've not encountered any of these weirdos yet either buying or selling stuff.

Maybe I'm the weirdo ?

You're just lucky, and a weirdo..

But I've had a number of encounters like that.

The worst I have done is withdraw from a sale because some crap has come up, but I've never left a brother standing, or sister for that matter.

Driving to Castleknock for a schoolgirl to try and pass off a wallet of PS2 backups as the real deal was another one.

Waiting over an hour for a guy with a TV, standing outside Clerys, only to get a text from him telling me he was still in bed and would I mind waiting for him while he came in from, I think it was Maynooth was another, did he really expect me to hang around for another hour while he sh1t, showered and shaved, abused himself, then popped into to town where I'd be still waiting??

Madness!

Anyways, I think I'll give the phone another week after which I'll give it to my sister in law, I will also give her the phone....

Master of the Universe

CiDeRmAn wrote: »

Driving to Castleknock for a schoolgirl to try and pass off a wallet of PS2 backups as the real deal was another one.

That has to win dodgiest comment of the year :pac:

She was flogging them on Adverts for ages, and everytime I saw them up again I reported them and eventually she gave up posting them for sale.
    She had positive feedback so I can only assume that someone was pleased with their purchase.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Was this the Asian schoolgirl that was mentioned here before?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,039 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

You called?

Yup

The buyer sent me a text, tried to call as well, after I left negative feedback, gave me the family crisis excuse, I don't care to be honest

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,039 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Big day tomorrow. Have my press photo shoot at 11am tomorrow. Last day of college and the expo is on to show off the projects to industry people so hope to get a job! If you see Harry's Magic Tables in the News or papers in the next two days, I programmed the game section and did most of the bug fixing.

Also made great progress on my game engine. It's not just scrolling properly but it also does a SNK fighting game style zoom effect that isn't upsetting the scrolling or collision detection. I rock!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Big day tomorrow. Have my press photo shoot at 11am tomorrow. Last day of college and the expo is on to show off the projects to industry people so hope to get a job! If you see Harry's Magic Tables in the News or papers in the next two days, I programmed the game section and did most of the bug fixing.

Also made great progress on my game engine. It's not just scrolling properly but it also does a SNK fighting game style zoom effect that isn't upsetting the scrolling or collision detection. I rock!

good luck retr0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

Bought Micro Machines V3 on PS1 today, only to come home and cop that I already had a copy... In better nick than the one I just bought too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

deathrider wrote: »
    Bought Micro Machines V3 on PS1 today, only to come home and cop that I already had a copy... In better nick than the one I just bought too.

that's how it started with Steve

I'll add it to the collection of doubles...

Bit of a predicament here lads. Girlfriendo is looking to get her father a Megadrive for xmas. He's all about this Olympic game that he used to play where you has to hammer buttons in order to make your boy run faster. Sounds like an International Track And Field kinda job to me. She reckons it's one she's looking at youtube here called Hyper Olympics (Track and Field round here, I believe), but it's an NES title. Was there a version of this on Megadrive? It seems to be from '85, which seems way to early for Megadrive days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

No, megadrive was released in 88 so I think that'd be too early. Wasn't olympic gold was it? Haven't played it myself but it was a popular-ish title.

Master of the Universe

Ah Olympic Gold, one of those games you come across at a carboot, get all excited, then see the cover :(

California Games is by far the best one of those types of games. Was also on the Megadrive so worth checking out. (doesn't beat the NES verson though!:))

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,245 ✭✭✭MrVestek

NEW JONTRON?! YESSSSS!!!!

aherm...

And its a good episode aswell :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,894 ✭✭✭Steve X2

I picked up a GameGadget v2 from funstock and got around to testing it last night.
    It's a bit crap to be fair and not nearly as good as a Dingoo but it was so cheap I thought feck it. I stuck a custom firmware on it and its a bit better but still one to avoid if you like any way accurate emulation.

Anyway, if anyone wants to pick it up its going cheap on funstock (£24.99)
    http://www.funstock.co.uk/gamegadget-open-source-special-edition

gg-with-altered-beast73-500x500.jpg

And its a good episode aswell :D
    I was coughing from laughing at the npcs, "I only speak to sailors" it's so Shemue!
    Laughing again now thinking of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Eugh, buttons as a-pad :(

Designers need to realise that just because something is popular doesn't mean it's the best. The PS d-pad is a monstrosity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Steve SI wrote: »
    I picked up a GameGadget v2 from funstock and got around to testing it last night.
    It's a bit crap to be fair and not nearly as good as a Dingoo but it was so cheap I thought feck it. I stuck a custom firmware on it and its a bit better but still one to avoid if you like any way accurate emulation.

Anyway, if anyone wants to pick it up its going cheap on funstock (£24.99)
    http://www.funstock.co.uk/gamegadget-open-source-special-edition

so what is it?

It's some kind of hot tub time machine.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Designers need to realise that just because something is popular doesn't mean it's the best. The PS d-pad is a monstrosity.

Can't say I've ever had an issue with it myself. I always thought that it worked grand... except for Supers in Street Fighter. That'll saw your thumb clean off.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Can't say I've ever had an issue with it myself. I always thought that it worked grand... except for Supers in Street Fighter. That'll saw your thumb clean off.

It works - but it hurts your finger a lot for extensive play and can be very difficult to execute any kind of circular movement.

I also don't like the way the direction segments depress. Feels horrible.

o1s1n wrote: »
    It works - but it hurts your finger a lot for extensive play and can be very difficult to execute any kind of circular movement.

I also don't like the way the direction segments depress. Feels horrible.

I really can't say it's ever bothered me. I'd much rather use it than the 360 D-pad which feels huge, stiff, and clunky.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

...but it hurts your finger a lot for extensive play and can be very difficult to execute any kind of circular movement...
    I really can't say it's ever bothered me. ...feels huge, stiff, and clunky.

Must resist... :p

In other news - Fifa commands midnight openings these days, really? Just got an email from Xtravision saying so. I thought GTA or consoles were the only things that had them.

Having a PSP, PSP Go and several DS devices with every emulator under the sun installed.
    Do I need one of those in my life, doing the same thing, only worse.

The D-Pad on it is actually not as bad as it looks. The 2 shoulder buttons are really crappy though.
    Sound is also not great from the speakers but better on headphones. But, for 25 sterling its ok I suppose for someone who wants to play a few retro games or a bit of doom or quake or whatever. It's really not aimed at people like us to be fair to it.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Having a PSP, PSP Go and several DS devices with every emulator under the sun installed.
    Do I need one of those in my life, doing the same thing, only worse.

No you dont, but it's not really for people like us.
    25 quid though, it was worth it to satisfy my curiosity and as its a little linux machine I'm sure I'll find something to do with it.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

I really can't say it's ever bothered me. I'd much rather use it than the 360 D-pad which feels huge, stiff, and clunky.

Comparing sh1t to sh1t to be honest! They're both awful ;)
    Andrew76 wrote: »
    Must resist... :p

Your mind is fairly in the gutter today isnt it?! :D

Comparing sh1t to sh1t to be honest! They're both awful ;)

I can't really think of one that jumps out at me as a great D-pad though. I can think of ones that work, ones that don't, and that's about it.

Master of the Universe

I can't really think of one that jumps out at me as a great D-pad though. I can think of ones that work, ones that don't, and that's about it.

NES? SNES? Megadrive? (the later life pads, not the early muck), Dreamcast? Saturn? All absolutely fantastic :)

Nintendo and Sega own all the best D pad patents, other ones tend to be muck.

Actually also have to include the Neo Geo pocket, one of the best ever made.

Is SteamOS retro yet ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Actually also have to include the Neo Geo pocket, one of the best ever made.

Mmmm, dem microswitches.

I always wonder why no one else implemented the same stick as the NGPC.

• Advertisement

Is SteamOS retro yet ?

You mean Ubuntu? :)

Still don't know if it's a big deal yet or not. Maybe a few years down the road it might make some impact on how/where I play PC games. As much stick as Windows OS'es get, I'd never replace it for any variant of Linux as my main machine, especially not my gaming machine.

Mmmm, dem microswitches.

I always wonder why no one else implemented the same stick as the NGPC.

Is it possible that, while we can appreciate them, they were over engineered for the time.
    They were, therefore, prohibitively expensive to replicate on other devices.
    They did use it on the NeoGeo CD pad, afaik, which is great as it gives you something to admire while you are waiting for your game to load ;)

Master of the Universe

Didn't know the Neo Geo CD had a microswitched D pad, there's my 'new thing' learned for today :)

Here's a breakdown of one here. Shame more D pads didn't have such a mechanism.

http://www.mmmonkey.co.uk/snk-neo-geo-cd-pad-d-pad-repair/

NeoGeo CD is awesome in every way. Especially for fans of juggling monkeys.

Saturn has the best D-pad.

Master of the Universe

I love the Saturn D pad but hate that the pad itself is so small! Could have done with a bit more padding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

GAME did a 3rd-party PS2 controller that had one of the sexiest, most comfortable, fluid and nimble d-pads I've ever encountered.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,833 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Need for Speed(Aaron Paul + 'overly-pretentious-voiceover-and-soundtrack-for-a-film-about-cars-blowing-up') = ???

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    GAME did a 3rd-party PS2 controller that had one of the sexiest, most comfortable, fluid and nimble d-pads I've ever encountered.

yeah? what's it look like?

Need for Speed(Aaron Paul + 'overly-pretentious-voiceover-and-soundtrack-for-a-film-about-cars-blowing-up') = ???

Just watched that too. Could be more Fast n Furious over the top guff. I take it you've seen the 6th film? Man alive that was some seriously over the top flying through the air sh1te and that's coming from someone who thought the 5th one wasn't too bad - tolerable at least. :pac:

Need for Speed could be like F&F and good for a laugh and some popcorn. I'll end up going to see it anyway because looks like one of those films that is fun in the cinema with a few friends

On Aaron Paul, I dont think he has leading man potential, not that he's a bad actor, I really like the chap. but no matter what role he's in he will be Jessie Pinkman from now till the end of time. At least Bryan Cranston can get away form Walt a bit by having hair and no beard.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement