Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arcade and Retro General Chat in Karkariko Village Tavern: Live Ocarina Music

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

o1s1n wrote: »
    I love the Saturn D pad but hate that the pad itself is so small! Could have done with a bit more padding.

feels very light and flimsy when comparing to a 360 controller, but they take a fair bit of abuse, as I can testify to from many hours of button bashing on Athlete Kings (aka Decathlete).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,755 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Just watched that too. Could be more Fast n Furious over the top guff. I take it you've seen the 6th film? Man alive that was some seriously over the top flying through the air sh1te and that's coming from someone who thought the 5th one wasn't too bad - tolerable at least. :pac:

I've only ever seen the 4th film for some reason, and it was rubbish :pac: I've heard the 5th and 6th films are at least self-aware of their ridiculousness and good fun, but really there's so many films to watch in this world I can't see many circumstances when I decide to actually watch one of them! Or a Need for Speed one for that manner.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I had my Need for Speed film already, in the cut scenes in the 3DO original!

I can't imagine this movie is going to be anything other than a lousy framing device to see cgi enhanced super cars p1ssing around sunny California, or a selection of different American backdrops.

If I want to see a good car movie I'll watch Vanishing Point, Ronin or even The Blues Brothers. Heck, for pretty cars and the usual Cage madness there's always Gone in 60 Seconds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Sera wrote: »
    yeah? what's it look like?

Kinda like this, though it was better-built, and shaped a little different, I recall. It was the best non-stick option for fighters and whatnot. Wasn't wireless either, of course:

$T2eC16JHJGEFFm0Z(Mk8BR0-gToNdw~~60_35.JPG

Gave mine away when my PS2 went bye-bye, and have since been using dualshock 3 for my PS2 games on my PS3; ain't really cutting it. The lag-time on converters are notorious as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

dark_soulss_by_alo81-d6nrmkr.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

DinoRex wrote: »
    dark_soulss_by_alo81-d6nrmkr.gif

Got a few hours play time this morning before work of Dark Souls myself...all I can say is, ****ing skeletons!

Nothing is worse than these guys:

Wheel%20Skeleton.JPG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,269 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

aRGH!! I'd completely forgotten about the horror of those guys. Rolling around like arseholes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Pfft Skeletons. There's nothing more annoying than those ****ing mushrooms in Earthbound. I thought my Snes pad was broke the first time I played it :mad::o

• Advertisement

Dark Souls has it's Mushroom Dads, no matter what level you're at you get a punch by one of them you're going to have a bad time.

Master of the Universe

If I remember correctly, I think I turned my control pad upside down whenever that happened and it worked fine :D

If I remember correctly, I think I turned my control pad upside down whenever that happened and it worked fine :D

This time I'm playing on the Wii U pad...not as easily done :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

NES? SNES? Megadrive? (the later life pads, not the early muck), Dreamcast? Saturn? All absolutely fantastic :)

Nintendo and Sega own all the best D pad patents, other ones tend to be muck.

Actually also have to include the Neo Geo pocket, one of the best ever made.

NES and SNES are grand, but I never thought they were amazing. They never have me any problems, but neither did the Playstation. They were all just grand. The Dreamcast (could be Saturn, I always mix those up) was a nightmare d-pad. It was raised up far too high.

Master of the Universe

EnterNow wrote: »
    This time I'm playing on the Wii U pad...not as easily done :D

Hahaha! Foiled by technology, I love it :D

There has to be some way of beating this with the help of mirrors....
    deathrider wrote: »
    NES and SNES are grand, but I never thought they were amazing. They never have me any problems, but neither did the Playstation. They were all just grand. The Dreamcast (could be Saturn, I always mix those up) was a nightmare d-pad. It was raised up far too high.

The input response time and general feel of movement with the NES and Snes D pad are leagues ahead of the PS1 D pad. It would be generally held opinion, not just my own personal opinion :)

Saturn pad is widely believed to be the greatest D pad ever made. I personally really love the DC pad but it does get some flak as it's quite high. Again though, the input response feels really nice. If I can use it to play shmups it must be decent enough :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

I never knew the differences between the megadrive d pads to the playstation , just became second nature to me.

Playstation controller in general is perhaps the best controller as its universal successful in all genres of games.

• Advertisement

Playstation controller in general is perhaps the best controller as its universal successful in all genres of games.

..... :eek:

Hahaha! Foiled by technology, I love it :D

There has to be some way of beating this with the help of mirrors....

The input response time and general feel of movement with the NES and Snes D pad are leagues ahead of the PS1 D pad. It would be generally held opinion, not just my own personal opinion :)

Saturn pad is widely believed to be the greatest D pad ever made. I personally really love the DC pad but it does get some flak as it's quite high. Again though, the input response feels really nice. If I can use it to play shmups it must be decent enough :)

It may be lagless. I can't say for sure, as I only played it for an hour or two, but the d-pad's height really made it feel awkward to me. I was playing Marvel Vs Capcom 2 on it, and it really felt like I was fighting against the pad itself. Again, that would saw your thumb off.

Master of the Universe

Ah I see, so we're coming at it from two different standpoints. I don't play fighting games at all, so cannot really comment on D pad performance from that perspective.

..... :eek:

Its true though

its perfect for platformers ,fighters (minus the fightning stick), 3rd person shooters, racers , fps , stealth genre , rpgs

It takes the best aspects of the snes controller and further improves it to be the best controller out of the 3.

Ah I see, so we're coming at it from two different standpoints. I don't play fighting games at all, so cannot really comment on D pad performance from that perspective.

We'll agree to disagree so :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,890 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Its true though

its perfect for platformers ,fighters (minus the fightning stick), 3rd person shooters, racers , fps , stealth genre , rpgs

It takes the best aspects of the snes controller and further improves it to be the best controller out of the 3.

It took the SNES controller and slapped on a terrible d-pad that can go to hell. The analog stick placement is really slapped together, not surprising since it was a slapped together response to the N64. It's a nasty thing that we got used to because of controller stockholm syndrome.

Its true though

tumblr_llgaeahjah1qiyqyfo1_500.gif

tumblr_llgaeahjah1qiyqyfo1_500.gif

of course it just an opinion :pac:

Master of the Universe

Its true though

Wait, what? Are you talking about the Playstation dual shock controller?

Jack of all trades, master of none. The only thing it helped improve was FPS/3rd person movement in console games and that's already been bettered by the 360 pad.

Every other genre you've mentioned has a different and better pad to use for it.

it is just an opinion

keep in mind from my aspect i only ever held a megadrive, nes, snes , dreamcast playstation and xbox 360 controller

should also be noted that i was solely a ps user up till 2008 till i bought a wii for the family and my sis got a xbox for xmas in 2009

so to me my preference lies with sony controller it was i used to , i dont like the bulky design of the xbox nor its analog placements.

Master of the Universe

it is just an opinion

...and not all opinions are right :D

...and not all opinions are right :D

that is your opinion :pac:

Master of the Universe

that is your opinion :pac:

You are infuriating :D

You are infuriating :D

they dont call me mario 64 is **** for nothing :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,755 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The first rule of the Internet is that every single statement should be followed by the letters IMO, otherwise it will invariably be interpreted as a declaration of fact.

IMO.

• Advertisement

The first rule of the Internet is that every single statement should be followed by the letters IMO, otherwise it will invariably be interpreted as a declaration of fact.

IMO.

ah come on that's just effort, if the internet worked like that then we would not be having topics like this :pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

they dont call me mario 64 is **** for nothing :pac:

Funny enough that's what springs to mind when I see your username - "isn't he the chap who thinks Sonic Adventure is better than Mario 64? Keep scrolling...". :p

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Funny enough that's what springs to mind when I see your username - "isn't he the chap who thinks Sonic Adventure is better than Mario 64? Keep scrolling...". :p

Good times :D

i still kinda feel that way till i got burnt by SA and now get bored when on the level with the go karts :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

So, a mod takes an afternoon off and returns to find that tensions had risen in his absence but that good sense had prevailed and everyone is still getting on....

I feel unneeded :(

This kind of goodwill would never have happened in the Playstation forum!

Master of the Universe

IMO.

I only speak in facts :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Sonic Adventure IS better than Mario 64.

Aherm...

I only speak in facts :pac:

In your opinion you do.
    The rest of us will continue to think of you as the prince of lies, but not tell you....
    Ever since it turned out there was no pantry, or butler.... not even a monocle to speak of.
    Gutted, that's the word

You're lucky you weren't cast out into the Sega forum, or worse still the Playstation one!

Master of the Universe

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    In your opinion you do.
    The rest of us will continue to think of you as the prince of lies, but not tell you....
    Ever since it turned out there was no pantry, or butler.... not even a monocle to speak of.
    Gutted, that's the word

You're lucky you weren't cast out into the Sega forum, or worse still the Playstation one!

I played all that down so you lay people would feel comfortable when you came around for the evening. Poor Jeeves spent the evening locked up in the pantry. :(

I wondered what the whimpering was, I figured I was me... after I lost on Powerstone, embarrassed myself on Gigawing, and so on

• Advertisement

Thinking of doing the unthinkable...selling off my cabs...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Thinking of doing the unthinkable...selling off my cabs...

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Master of the Universe

Say wha???????

I hope I didn't spur that on with my comments about the winter? :(

If you sell the cabs then your poor shed will be empty!

vultures.jpg

I could fit a couple in my kitchen.

Master of the Universe

Gunblade in your kitchen? :D

Say wha???????

I hope I didn't spur that on with my comments about the winter? :(

If you sell the cabs then your poor shed will be empty!

Ha no, but it did get me thinking about how little I use the damn things :( I'll have a think over the weekend, but they might appear on a certain marketplace soon enough...

• Advertisement

Gunblade in your kitchen? :D

I've a fairly large kitchen and one half of it mostly goes unused so why not :)
    I could fit maybe 5 or 6 cabs in one side but it would look a bit tacky, maybe 1 or 2 would be acceptable. But Gunblade might be pushing what would be acceptable in a kitchen me thinks.

Steve SI wrote: »
    But Gunblade might be pushing what would be acceptable in a kitchen me thinks.

Lol, yeah even I'd agree with that. But then again, the price just might make it attractive enough....;) The thing is with Gunblade, it splits in two & the game & guns are housed in the turret section & that can be connected to a projector or normal monitor if needs be. The big 50" screen isn't required.

massive headache reading through youtube comments on one of ign videos were they gave persona 4 golden best vita game

so many fools saying killzone mercenary is better. i like killzone, one of my dark desires but no way killzone is better than persona 4

Lol, yeah even I'd agree with that. But then again, the price just might make it attractive enough....;) The thing is with Gunblade, it splits in two & the game & guns are housed in the turret section & that can be connected to a projector or normal monitor if needs be. The big 50" screen isn't required.

You're a bad man :)

massive headache reading through youtube comments

That'd be your first problem.
    IGN

That'd be your second problem.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement