Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arcade and Retro General Chat in Karkariko Village Tavern: Live Ocarina Music

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

Being a Buddhist is blasphemous to a Christian. Just report every post where anyone claims to have an alternate religious belief to anyone else and then you'll see how unworkable it is.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

It will be long past our lifetime but the day can't come soon enough when all religions are extinct and thought of as a quaint facet of our primitive past - no different to looking up at the Sun and believing it was a god too.

Anyway, games n stuff. Really enjoying Dark Souls on PC at the minute - I kind of put off playing it for fear it wouldn't live up to the fun I had with Demon's Souls, fear quickly dispelled. While Capra Demon was annoying as hell the Gaping Dragon dude was more nerve wracking - had a poxy curse and down to half health fighting him. The sense of relief knocking the last bit of health out of a boss is great craic. I see the sequel isn't due until March, maybe enough time to get through the first one so. :)

Andrew76 wrote: »

Anyway, games n stuff. Really enjoying Dark Souls on PC at the minute - I kind of put off playing it for fear it wouldn't live up to the fun I had with Demon's Souls, fear quickly dispelled. While Capra Demon was annoying as hell the Gaping Dragon dude was more nerve wracking - had a poxy curse and down to half health fighting him. The sense of relief knocking the last bit of health out of a boss is great craic. I see the sequel isn't due until March, maybe enough time to get through the first one so. :)

Did you take out the Channeler that's up on the balcony first? First time I played through Dark Souls I had a huge amount of trouble with the Gaping Dragon as I didn't realise he was up there buffing the thing and hurling soul arrows at me, thought the dragon was doing all that so was super confused when I continued to be attacked after killing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭MrVestek

I'm an agnostic. I'm not sure but you're all wrong.

...I think

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Achilles wrote: »
    I'm an agnostic. I'm not sure but you're all wrong.

...I think

Pussy
    Man up and be an atheist, like me!

• Advertisement

DinoRex wrote: »
    Did you take out the Channeler that's up on the balcony first? First time I played through Dark Souls I had a huge amount of trouble with the Gaping Dragon as I didn't realise he was up there buffing the thing and hurling soul arrows at me, thought the dragon was doing all that so was super confused when I continued to be attacked after killing it.

Yeah killed that dude up top not in the knowledge he would be a problem during the boss fight though - I just came across him on my travels. What were those statue like dudes - now and again I would turn around and one would be there. Other players who died of curse or something? Kind of looked like those pictures of the Pompeii victims. Spooky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,269 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Pussy
    Man up and be an atheist, like me!

Most, if not all atheists are agnostic atheists. So unless Achilles has a religious streak and is in fact an agnostic theist, he's more than likely an agnostic atheist also :D

I really want to play through Dark Souls again. If there was a game which made me feel like a god, that was it! Fairly sure lightning bolts flashed out of my palms the moment I killed the Capra Demon.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,890 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

o1s1n wrote: »
    Most, if not all atheists are agnostic atheists. So unless Achilles has a religious streak and is in fact an agnostic theist, he's more than likely an agnostic atheist also :D

I really want to play through Dark Souls again. If there was a game which made me feel like a god, that was it! Fairly sure lightning bolts flashed out of my palms the moment I killed the Capra Demon.

It's worth playing again if you haven't played the DLC. The DLC is fantastic. Also finish the DLC before you take on Sif for tears :'(

Master of the Universe

Didn't know there was DLC. Does it add extra boss fights/sections?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,890 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Yeah killed that dude up top not in the knowledge he would be a problem during the boss fight though - I just came across him on my travels. What were those statue like dudes - now and again I would turn around and one would be there. Other players who died of curse or something? Kind of looked like those pictures of the Pompeii victims. Spooky.

They're other online players that have been killed with a curse. You'd want to get rid of that curse asap!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Steve X2

5342832171_d4dd131829_z.jpg

Didn't know there was DLC. Does it add extra boss fights/sections?

Yes, a whole new area is added, 3 bosses and a fourth optional super hard boss. There's also new PVP arenas to try out. It also brilliantly clears up one of the main story arcs in the game in heartbreaking fashion.

It's free with the PC version.

It's worth going back to play through as a different character class as well. Radically changes your style of play.

Playing through with a sorcerer the second time around was great, a lot of stuff is so much easier, some of it so, so much harder. Some bosses are particularly tough when you can't tank a lot of damage.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Steve SI wrote: »
    5342832171_d4dd131829_z.jpg

Save me Tom Cruise with your witching powers!

I am an atheist with no doubt as to the non existence of god.
    Now, Glob on the other hand, or the great flying spaghetti monster.....

Master of the Universe

Save me Tom Cruise with your witching powers!

I am an atheist with no doubt as to the non existence of god.
    Now, Glob on the other hand, or the great flying spaghetti monster.....

But Glob and the Flying Spaghetti Monster are gods too! So you're an out and out theist!

Burn him!! :pac:

Master of the Universe

When you get into the science behind everything you quickly realise that there really isn't a god it's all controlled by maths, really beautiful maths. Unfortunately it's hard to explain to the people that really need it explained to them since they are ignorant.

'How can the universe be created out of nothing in a big bang?', is a tough sell. Mathematically there's no such thing as nothing. When you get a perfect vaccuum there's not really nothing there, there's lots of sub atomic particles appearing and then vanishing. The chances of these particles appearing in a concentration big enough to start a big bang are miniscule, almost impossible odds. However the creation of the universe is 100% likely, which is the part people have a problem with. When you take into account that time isn't a factor then a universe creation scenario is bound to happen. Keep playing the lotto and you are bound to win eventually if you can't die.

For someone that loves maths problems its fascinating looking at how it all comes together.

Master of the Universe

Mathematician: God! I have proof you don't exist!
    God: How?
    Mathematician: Through simple yet infinitely complex mathematics. If you take X and multiply it by..
    God: Woah, slow down there. Get your own maths :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    When you get into the science behind everything you quickly realise that there really isn't a god it's all controlled by maths, really beautiful maths.

This is true, but I find myself sometimes wondering about just how beautiful the mathematics of the universe are, the laws that seem to protect the entire model, the apparent 'thought' behinf evolutionary direction etc & I go back then to the start by wondering about possible intelligent design :o
    'How can the universe be created out of nothing in a big bang?', is a tough sell. Mathematically there's no such thing as nothing. When you get a perfect vaccuum there's not really nothing there, there's lots of sub atomic particles appearing and then vanishing. The chances of these particles appearing in a concentration big enough to start a big bang are miniscule, almost impossible odds. However the creation of the universe is 100% likely, which is the part people have a problem with. When you take into account that time isn't a factor then a universe creation scenario is bound to happen. Keep playing the lotto and you are bound to win eventually if you can't die.

The thing about that is, pre-big bang, there is no space or even time, for such sub-atomic interactions to happen inside of/in...I think :o
    For someone that loves maths problems its fascinating looking at how it all comes together.

It is indeed, but intelligent design or just a product of its own variables, it's hard to feel it ties to any man made religion etc

• Advertisement

"The Final Proof of the non-Existence of God was proved by a Babel Fish.
    Now, it is such a bizarrely improbable coincidence that anything so mind-bogglingly useful could have evolved purely by chance that some have chosen to see it as the final proof of the NON-existence of God. The argument goes something like this:

"I refuse to prove that I exist," says God, "for proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing."

"But," says Man, "the Babel fish is a dead giveaway, isn't it? It could not have evolved by chance. It proves that You exist, and so therefore, by Your own arguments, You don't. QED"

"Oh dear," says God, "I hadn't thought of that," and promptly vanishes in a puff of logic.

"Oh, that was easy," says Man, and for an encore goes on to prove that black is white and gets himself killed on the next zebra crossing."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

cross-eyed.jpg

Myrddin wrote: »
    The thing about that is, pre-big bang, there is no space or even time, for such sub-atomic interactions to happen inside of/in...I think :o

The thing is you can't have nothing. You can get as close to nothing as possible but even if you have a total vaccuum with no dimensions you still have those sub atomic particles forming. It's very hard to imagine a dimensionless space though the maths there goes beyond me there!

It was probably wrong to say that the universe had an infinite amount of time to find the right conditions to form and more that time didn't matter.

A lot goes out the window in the big bang as in the opening seconds the laws of physics were yet to be determined.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Tits

Lol at the Occulus Rift thread in Games, o1s1n single handledly pushing people over the fence :D

When you get into the science behind everything you quickly realise that there really isn't a god it's all controlled by maths, really beautiful maths. Unfortunately it's hard to explain to the people that really need it explained to them since they are ignorant.

Not sure I'd use the term 'controlled by maths' considering Mathematics is a human invention - it just happens to be a very good language for describing how things work.
    This is true, but I find myself sometimes wondering about just how beautiful the mathematics of the universe are, the laws that seem to protect the entire model, the apparent 'thought' behinf evolutionary direction etc & I go back then to the start by wondering about possible intelligent design :o

Get your hands on a book called Why Evolution Is True, by Jerry A. Coyne. You'll no longer have any doubt about there being any inteilligent design in evolution. Fabulous book - should be made compulsory in schools, especially over in the US of A! :pac:

Another book to sort out those questions; A Universe from Nothing, by Lawrence M. Krauss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

give me a six pack and your finest green grass and i can explain gods existence in 5 mins

It's possible that there are, in fact, an infinite number of universes.
    Each one, by virtue of random unpredictable fluctuations in it's structure has a different set of physical laws, different number for Pi, and a result only this one, well this one we know about, had the correct properties to give rise to our kind of life.
    The idea of time being a straight line from the past into the future works on a macro level in line with thermodynamics but, go deeper into the quantum realm and the direction of time no longer matters.
    As the universe was, initially, a subatomic process in size, it's possible it was ignited by itself!
    There are some theists that reckon as a quantum process, the initial singularity therefore required an observer.
    It is also possible that universes are being born all the time, both at each random quantum decision resulting in bifurcation of the timeline and that regular universes are created by natural processes in our own, but expand into a dimension at right angles to our own, so we have no contact with them.
    The latter point may result in an evolution effect, meaning universes that can harbour life like ours are more likely to create universes with similar properties, leading to more life.

As a non scientist I may have gotten all of the above wrong!

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Anyone play DiveKick yet on steam? I got it earlier and its actual more fun than I thought and it doesn't take itself very seriously.
    Stuck it on my Hyperspin setup and playing it on the arcade machine now and it looks ok on the arcade screen.

Master of the Universe

Lol at the Occulus Rift thread in Games, o1s1n single handledly pushing people over the fence :D

Shhh, I'm on commission! :pac:

Maybe it's all a big computer simulation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

Maybe it's all a big computer simulation.
    No John. YOU are the demons!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

how many times did I see the word universe?

srsly this place is getting a bit complicated for me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

It is also possible that universes are being born all the time, both at each random quantum decision resulting in bifurcation of the timeline and that regular universes are created by natural processes in our own, but expand into a dimension at right angles to our own, so we have no contact with them.

https://www.google.ie/search?q=fractal+image&tbm=isch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

Installing the Beyond: Two Souls demo here...I'm not expecting much.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Heh, yeah, if I had the space Keithgeo's setup is what I'd aim for. Content enough with two cabs though. Just have to get them running side by side! Really makes the experience more arcade like.

Late to the party here as i havent been on much, painting and sanding my house, but was just reading through and seen this. While painting was talking with the wife about the arcade machines, and we decided we can fit another 4 in the kitchen alone the other wall :pac: So i should end up with 9 uprights and a cocktail in that area when finished. we will be doing up the kitchen next year and i have some great ideas to turn that area into my own llittle arcade!

Im thinking for the other 4, Bubble Bobble, Sunsetriders, An upright car game maybe and possibley mortal kombat 2. definitely the first two anyways.

keithgeo wrote: »
    mortal kombat 2

The Tekken 3 cab I have is the exact same cab as an MK2 cab, just so you know :P Just get the arwork & tidy it up a bit & voila

Is your wife single?

• Advertisement

The Tekken 3 cab I have is the exact same cab as an MK2 cab, just so you know :P Just get the arwork & tidy it up a bit & voila

I know dude, i was nearly messaging you a few times. we are doing up the house at the minute and im not sure if i have the money...
    Achilles wrote: »
    Is your wife single?

haha afraid not, got myself a good geeky wife alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Lucky bxxxxxxx, now if Ikea sold arcade cabs I might be able to sneak one home..

Lucky bxxxxxxx, now if Ikea sold arcade cabs I might be able to sneak one home..

Aherm...

http://www.elite-arcades.com/arcade_machines/mk002.php

AHEH AHERM...

http://www.arcadeworlduk.com/products/Flat-Pack-Upright-Arcade-Cabinet-Kit.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

deleted

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,755 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

This is literally within five seconds of being able to control the new Pokemon game:

2jd46js.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

This is literally within five seconds of being able to control the new Pokemon game:

2jd46js.jpg

That happens at the beginning of every Pokémon game. There is always Nintendo's current console in your character's room.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭unky chop chop

keithgeo wrote: »
    Late to the party here as i havent been on much, painting and sanding my house, but was just reading through and seen this. While painting was talking with the wife about the arcade machines, and we decided we can fit another 4 in the kitchen alone the other wall :pac: So i should end up with 9 uprights and a cocktail in that area when finished. we will be doing up the kitchen next year and i have some great ideas to turn that area into my own llittle arcade!

Im thinking for the other 4, Bubble Bobble, Sunsetriders, An upright car game maybe and possibley mortal kombat 2. definitely the first two anyways.

You are one lucky b4stard all right.I saw your set up when i picked up that cab.Quality i must say.. show other users a snap of it.

Sure you talked to my missus and saw the face of disdain on her when i loaded the cocktail into the car.
    It's not fair I tells ya

This is up on Teefury right now, also on other tee sites, for you Pokemon nuts out there!
    564022_615432068507895_1984262126_n.jpg

You are one lucky b4stard all right.I saw your set up when i picked up that cab.Quality i must say.. show other users a snap of it.

Sure you talked to my missus and saw the face of disdain on her when i loaded the cocktail into the car.
    It's not fair I tells ya

Ive posted up this pic before, everyones seen them at this stage.. the wall just right of Time Crisis will fit another 4 cabs along it id say. ill put some of the smaller ones in the corner there at an angle to they all flow around. then the cocktail table in the middle and ill have a sofa in this area too.

IMG_6404.jpg

I never get sick of looking at those cabs, such a cool setup :cool:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement