Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arcade and Retro General Chat in Karkariko Village Tavern: Live Ocarina Music

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Myrddin wrote: »
    I never get sick of looking at those cabs, such a cool setup :cool:

Will have a MK2 cab there too soon enough! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Keith, when are you gonna just accept the inevitable and sell me that Donkey Kong cab? :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Haha got to be honest,that's my favorite one. Just love the donkey kong artwork.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

Steve SI wrote: »
    Keith, when are you gonna just accept the inevitable and sell me that Donkey Kong cab? :D
    You trying to go for a Donkey Kong kill screen, or something?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,890 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

No, sure he's already got one.

keithgeo wrote: »
    Haha got to be honest,that's my favorite one. Just love the donkey kong artwork.

So you're saying we have a deal? Cool, i'll organise my bro to drop over to you with a van this evening :)

On an unrelated note, I nabbed myself a RGB Modded Jap 3DO last night :)
    Oh all the ones I have, none have that particular mod as its a beeyach to do and most certainly not something I'd try myself.

Cant wait

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

So you're saying we have a deal? Cool, i'll organise my bro to drop over to you with a van this evening :)

On an unrelated note, I nabbed myself a RGB Modded Jap 3DO last night :)
    Oh all the ones I have, none have that particular mod as its a beeyach to do and most certainly not something I'd try myself.

Cant wait

Nice, sounds like something pretty cool.
    You'll have to post how it compares to the regular vanilla 3DO.
    Which reminds me, I must fire her up again, I can hear Return Fire calling me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Ah man, I'd really love a 3DO! The lack of disposable moneys is a hindrance though. Damn you education!

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Ah man, I'd really love a 3DO! The lack of disposable moneys is a hindrance though. Damn you education!

Well I'm obsessed with the 3DO so it's a sin I've waited this long to embrace the RGB side of it.
    This new one brings me up to a dangerous amount of 3DO goodness now. I've got every variation of the hardware and nearly a full collection of games (stupid Korean games messed up my "full collection").

• Advertisement

Well I'm obsessed with the 3DO so it's a sin I've waited this long to embrace the RGB side of it.
    This new one brings me up to a dangerous amount of 3DO goodness now. I've got every variation of the hardware and nearly a full collection of games (stupid Korean games messed up my "full collection").

Thanks Steve, talk your massive collection of 3DO related goodness has been me feel much better about my lack of a collection or even a piece of 3DO stuff. Oh wait no it hasn't :pac:
    Could be worse I suppose, I could only have a CD-I.

Ehh, I don't think I'd be letting the kiddies near this dude!

iiv6.jpg

I'm having my very first run through on "Zelda: The Wind Waker" (HD edition) on the Wii U. So far I'm enjoying it and the visuals are nice and crisp. To be honest I thought I'd already played the normal version of this game for some reason, but it seems not.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I find it interesting that the 3DO had become an expensive commodity, I payed a lot for mine at launch but the one I currently have was literally given away.
    Star Control 2 FTW!

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I find it interesting that the 3DO had become an expensive commodity, I payed a lot for mine at launch but the one I currently have was literally given away.
    Star Control 2 FTW!

Oh it can be had for cheap for sure but I want a NTSC one fully boxed in good condition and those tend to be harder to get and postage can be prohibitive on those.
    My only purchase in the last two months has been Maximum Carnage on Genesis and that was only 10 bucks.
    I've sold more than purchased: Money is too tight to mention.

Well I'm getting my modded Jap NTSC FZ1 from France and it comes with the RGB mod, RGB SCART cable and 1 game and is non boxed and I paid 197.80 Euro inc delivery by courier.
    Thats just to put a price on these things but it's well worth it for the RGB mod to me as a 3DO fanatic.

OwaynOTT, if you are waiting to get the ultimate standard FZ1 3DO them it has to be a Jap one as I suppose it is the only version that plays 100 percent of the games due to the missing fonts on the other non Jap 3DO's.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,890 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Just in case anyone goes into town looking for Retropolis and can't find them they aren't open today because they are moving to Camden Street.

• Advertisement

Is it a new bricks and mortar store or is it a stand or kiosk job?
    It'll be interesting to see if there are any changes in pricing as a result.
    Still, good luck to Mr Retropolis!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

So out turns out discs 3 and 4 of FFVIII won't run on my PS3. Somebody tell me I haven't just wasted 50 hours. If I downloaded the PSN version, could I use the same save file?

deathrider wrote: »
    So out turns out discs 3 and 4 of FFVIII won't run on my PS3. Somebody tell me I haven't just wasted 50 hours. If I downloaded the PSN version, could I use the same save file?
    I'd like to say it would, but now that you brought it up, I'm not so sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

I'd like to say it would, but now that you brought it up, I'm not so sure.

I really don't want to lose all that gameplay. I'm officially cracking up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

Mini Galaga cab:

B5it13Vl.jpg

More:
    http://imgur.com/a/u6NUa

• Advertisement

DinoRex wrote: »
    Mini Galaga cab:

B5it13Vl.jpg

More:
    http://imgur.com/a/u6NUa

Or a giant bottle of beer!

Anyone using the OUYA for some retro goodness?

I just did a quick and simple mod that really improves living with the thing(not really a mod, just a fan replacement really). The built in fan is a bit on the cheap side, so a bit loud. If you replace it with a "Noctua NF-A4x10" fan its almost silent and gets better airflow as well (overclocking?)

Anyway, just thought I'd mention it for those unhappy with the noise levels.

All you need on the Ouya is Amazing Frog:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Anyone using the OUYA for some retro goodness?

How do you find it for the emulators ? There seem to be a lot of mixed reviews about it, started off with great fanfare but in a slump at the moment..

How do you find it for the emulators ? There seem to be a lot of mixed reviews about it, started off with great fanfare but in a slump at the moment..

At first the emulators were a bit crappy as they just weren't optimised for the OUYA. But a few well known emu porters have now started dropping emulators on the app store and they work very well(and the best ones seem to be the free ones, which is nice). Of course the higher up you go (N64, PS1 etc) the more chance you have of it not playing so well but I'd only really use it for below N64 emulation.
    It's not a powerhouse by any standard but it is a nice little box to play around with and it still has potential. There's a mini NES case in the works for it that looks pretty cool and I hope it comes to fruition.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,755 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Anyone using the OUYA?

Nope :P

This is the NES case i was talking about. It's a 3D printed case from shapeways and the designer seems to know his stuff. But its still not released so hopefully he hasn't abandoned the project.

mwx9.jpg

j2id.jpg

Nope :P

Did you get one?

Anyone know when this Vita TV device will be out?
    looks nice and an ideal companion for the Vita itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Anyone know when this Vita TV device will be out?
    looks nice and an ideal companion for the Vita itself.

Does it do anything the Vita doesn't already do?

• Advertisement

Not sure when its marked for an EU release, was originally JP only but lots of good press means its going to the US as well.

I don't see it as a Vita companion, more of a replacement. Remote PS4 play is a much bigger deal than the ability to play Vita stuff on it.

I don't see it as a Vita companion, more of a replacement. Remote PS4 play is a much bigger deal than the ability to play Vita stuff on it.

That's what I thought myself, more of a companion to the PS4 than the Vita surely?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,269 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Am I reading this right? It's a Vita with no display screen which you plug into your TV and can stream PS4 games?

Sounds like the most pointless device ever created. Sega Mega Jet pointless :D

o1s1n wrote: »
    Am I reading this right? It's a Vita with no display screen which you plug into your TV and can stream PS4 games?

Yeah its basically a Vita with no screen that plugs into your tv, it can play Vita games & remote play the PS4 too. I'd be worried about how the Vita games would look on large screens

o1s1n wrote: »

No no no its awesome.

You're at home, giving the aliens a right old seeing too on the PS4 when she who must be obeyed comes in and demands to watch Fairly Chitty. So, now you can pause the game, nip up to the other tv with the Vita TV attached and continue playing :)

Oh, also plays Vita stuff..

Master of the Universe

Bizarre item!

You play Vita games on a Vita for portability. If you want to play games on a TV you'd use a console (or does a Vita have HDMI out?)

Why would you want to play portable games on a TV when you could play PS3 games instead? The Vita is pretty much just a portable PS3 as it is.

Not sure what the point of this is really. I can see it being a major flop.

Maybe they should have steered it away from the Vita (as it makes it very convoluted) and just billed it as a new Sony media centre which can play Vita games and stream console games?

Master of the Universe

No no no its awesome.

You're at home, giving the aliens a right old seeing too on the PS4 when she who must be obeyed comes in and demands to watch Fairly Chitty. So, now you can pause the game, nip up to the other tv with the Vita TV attached and continue playing :)

Oh, also plays Vita stuff..

But can you not do that already with a Vita?

Just buy a second TV. It's what I have.

I can see it being an affordable way to play all the Vita games you get on PS+

How much cheaper than an actual Vita is it?

• Advertisement

I'd be quite interested in one myself, I'd say it makes a nice little compact media player. Think it's about 150 although I'd have to check.

Here's the official PS4 commercial:

Personally I miss the girl with the big eyes.

Haven't heard much in the budget, but any effect on the price of retro games announced ?

Getting near the end of watching the first season of Sailor Moon and it's quite a strange experience compared to anime today. A hell of a lot has changed since 1992. While it's a bit cheap and reuses footage like crazy it's quite surprising how well written the main cast is. They're all very believable whereas today they would be vapid lolis. It's hilarious as well, there's always a few laugh out loud moments in each episode mostly from the main character Usagi because she's an absolute dope. It also has it's heart moving moments that are handled very well.

I think the strangest thing however is that two of the enemies that show up later are in a gay relationship. After seeing how japan views this kind of thing with the likes of 'Hard Gay' it surprised me to see how sensibly this plot line was handled with neither character being gross characateurs and how sensibly the whole issue is handled. You'd never get that in cartoons over here and neither would you get it in anime today.

Haven't heard much in the budget, but any effect on the price of retro games announced ?

Rage have increased their prices 50%

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Getting near the end of watching the first season of Sailor Moon and it's quite a strange experience compared to anime today. A hell of a lot has changed since 1992. While it's a bit cheap and reuses footage like crazy it's quite surprising how well written the main cast is. They're all very believable whereas today they would be vapid lolis. It's hilarious as well, there's always a few laugh out loud moments in each episode mostly from the main character Usagi because she's an absolute dope. It also has it's heart moving moments that are handled very well.

I think the strangest thing however is that two of the enemies that show up later are in a gay relationship. After seeing how japan views this kind of thing with the likes of 'Hard Gay' it surprised me to see how sensibly this plot line was handled with neither character being gross characateurs and how sensibly the whole issue is handled. You'd never get that in cartoons over here and neither would you get it in anime today.
    Ahhh, it was a great experience watching that show on Fox Kids back in the day. Those transformation sequences...yeah, man!

• Advertisement

I started watching the Berserk anime movies recently.

It started out pretty cool with the first film having some great medieval battles with a similar design aesthetic to Dark Souls, but the second movie was filled with awkward sex scenes and the third film with demon rape. It all got very boring.

Master of the Universe

The 20 odd episode Berserk animated TV series is one of the best animated shows of all time I reckon. It's brilliant. The Manga is also incredible.

Those films on the other hand that they made recently are absolutely pants. Obvious CGI is obvious :(

Ahhh, it was a great experience watching that show on Fox Kids back in the day. Those transformation sequences...yeah, man!

The japanese version is far better. The voice acting is much better and it's just a whole lot funnier. The characters are so much better.

There's also more panty shots, just for you.
    DinoRex wrote: »
    I started watching the Berserk anime movies recently.

It started out pretty cool with the first film having some great medieval battles with a similar design aesthetic to Dark Souls, but the second movie was filled with awkward sex scenes and the third film with demon rape. It all got very boring.

I haven't watched the films yet. Sad to hear they aren't so good. The first anime series as o1s1n said is amazing even if the final 2 episodes were incredibly nasty. It's a pity they never continued past that story arc for the animated series. The dreamcast game is decent enough as well. It's not amazing but it's a completely original sotry arc written by the manga's author so worth checking out for that.

Master of the Universe

I haven't watched the films yet. Sad to hear they aren't so good. The first anime series as o1s1n said is amazing even if the final 2 episodes were incredibly nasty. It's a pity they never continued past that story arc for the animated series. The dreamcast game is decent enough as well. It's not amazing but it's a completely original sotry arc written by the manga's author so worth checking out for that.

They completely took everything which was fun and what made the series so great out - what you're left with is this horrible, lifeless abridged imitation, which tries to compact far too much into too few hours. Basically sucks all the life out of it.

And jesus, the cel shaded CGI - it's absolutely laughable. All the battle scenes are beyond ruined because of it.

The last two episodes of the series are nasty alright, but they're incredible.
    one of the saddest losses of main characters I've ever seen, ever. You grow so attached to The Band of the Hawk over all the episodes and they're just mercilessly torn to shreds because of Griffith's complete and utter lack of empathy/lust for power

The japanese version is far better. The voice acting is much better and it's just a whole lot funnier. The characters are so much better.

There's also more panty shots, just for you.
    HEY...I've given up on anime since I was 14, so yeah, I couldn't care less about it.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement