Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arcade and Retro General Chat in Karkariko Village Tavern: Live Ocarina Music

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,269 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

HEY...I've given up on anime since I was 14, so yeah, I couldn't care less about it.

Fairly sure most 14 year olds know zero about decent animation anyway :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

Bought the PSN version of FFVIII today, because the PS3 wouldn't play disc 3 of my original or platinum versions. I thought it would be worth the tenner to download and see if I could continue on. I asked in the Playstation forums, and was told that downloads use the same internal memory card as the discs.

Seemed like the longest wait of my life. Operating theatre kinda stuff watching that download bar. Turns out though, that it does work. You can indeed continue your save from the disc to the PSN version. Thank feck. I thought I'd lost 50+ hours of play. Delighted that I can see it through now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

o1s1n wrote: »
    Fairly sure most 14 year olds know zero about decent animation anyway :P
    Which is why I got out of it.

Also, I wouldn't want to get back into it, though. I hate the current look of most of them. The digital colouring just hurts the eyes, it's way too sharp. I like the softer look on a lot of older ones because they didn't go for that look way back (mainly out of cost and such).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,755 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Anyone who thinks modern anime has nothing to offer has clearly not watched the films of Mamoru Hosoda yet. The man is one of the greatest directors working in cinema at the moment, animation or otherwise.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Is there nothing to be said for The Toons Adventures series by Warner bros? Or The Animaniacs?
    You bunch of philistines!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

anyone watching kill la kill yet ?

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Is there nothing to be said for The Toons Adventures series by Warner bros? Or The Animaniacs?
    You bunch of philistines!
    There's plenty to be said. Especially in regards to this.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,890 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Which is why I got out of it.

Also, I wouldn't want to get back into it, though. I hate the current look of most of them. The digital colouring just hurts the eyes, it's way too sharp. I like the softer look on a lot of older ones because they didn't go for that look way back (mainly out of cost and such).

Have to agree with you there, I really hate the look of flash animation compared to hand drawn animation. It's even worse when it's done lazily, there's absolutely no depth. It's creeping into games as well with some awful muck like Shank.

It can be done well, Vanillaware's games look amazing and use a proprietary flash like animation system and stuff like samurai jack and, eh, my little pony use flash animation well but it seems to be an awful lot of lazy animation being created that looks awful. Give me something hand drawn like Spongebob any day which has a lot more depth and detail to it's visuals. Anime is one of the few places you still get good animation and although the majority is digitally coloured it's usually shaded well so looks a whole lot less naff than lazily produced western animation.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Have to agree with you there, I really hate the look of flash animation compared to hand drawn animation. It's even worse when it's done lazily, there's absolutely no depth. It's creeping into games as well with some awful muck like Shank.

It can be done well, Vanillaware's games look amazing and use a proprietary flash like animation system and stuff like samurai jack and, eh, my little pony use flash animation well but it seems to be an awful lot of lazy animation being created that looks awful. Give me something hand drawn like Spongebob any day which has a lot more depth and detail to it's visuals. Anime is one of the few places you still get good animation and although the majority is digitally coloured it's usually shaded well so looks a whole lot less naff than lazily produced western animation.
    Another thing I don't really like about modern animation is all that post processing stuff, like bloom (I think only anime is affected, though). As for Flash...what was that French cartoon that was based off that one MMO? That was Flash animated and it looked great. At least based off one video I saw on YouTube. Oh, I just wish there was more choice if animators want to paint and ink a movie either by hand or digitally. For god's sake, there hasn't been a hand coloured cartoon on TV since 2004 (King of the Hill and Ed, Edd 'n' Eddy were among the last to make the transition I believe. Great shows, by the way).

Also, was I the one guy who found The Avengers...dull?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I loved The Avengers, but despised Iron Man 3.
    I have hopes for Thor 2 not to descend to the same depths.
    I'm far more interested in next years Captain America: Winter Soldier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

I loved The Avengers, but despised Iron Man 3.
    I have hopes for Thor 2 not to descend to the same depths.
    I'm far more interested in next years Captain America: Winter Soldier.

What did you depose about Iron Man 3? The first Thor was more balls, captain America was ok, and the Avengers was good but I kinda really enjoyed Iron Man 3.

I found it poor, even by action movie standards.
    The PTSD was a good idea, post the battle of NYC but it was gotten over with a gurning grin and smartass talk from Stark and it was not believable.
    The scenes in the town, with the kid and that whole part of the film felt like it had been dropped in from a Hallmark film of the week.
    Pearce's character was a terrible antagonist,
    with superpowers appearing just once before never being used again, like the Godzilla breath.
    The battle sequences in the dark and the rain, Pacific Rim committed the same crime, were poor and indistinct, with the same armour that protected Stark from the hammer of Thor
    being taken apart like lego.
    The stuff with Pepper, awful
    , her aquiring super powers herself, utter sh1te, and her "cure", dismal.
    And, The Mandarin, what a pitiful load of sh1te, Kingsleys performance was fine, he was working with his script and generated exactly the right amount of menace,
    but later with the revelation as to his true nature, the biggest kick to the throat by a AAA film adaptation of well known material, the equivalent of turning the Joker into a Tesco till operator with an interest in amateur dramatics halfway through The Dark Knight.

Oh, and the whole scene with the airliner, utter bull,
    not only with the sudden new found ability of the suit to glue people together, but also that Stark wasn't even in the suit at all, making one wonder why the character even bothers getting into it anymore, and wouldn't that have been handy at the end of the Avengers?

So, no, I didn't enjoy Iron Man 3 at all.
    I was actually happy I wouldn't have to sit through any more, given that it was, allegedly, the last standalone Iron Man movie.

Roll on a new Hulk feature though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

I enjoyed Thor a lot more than I expected, so looking forward to the sequel.

Think the only thing that let it down was the Natalie Portman stuff, really felt like a shoehorned in romance subplot. He really needed to be on Earth a lot longer than 3 days too, he should have been stuck there for months. Stupid that he finds love and learns humility in such a short period of time.

I found it poor, even by action movie standards.
    The PTSD was a good idea, post the battle of NYC but it was gotten over with a gurning grin and smartass talk from Stark and it was not believable.
    The scenes in the town, with the kid and that whole part of the film felt like it had been dropped in from a Hallmark film of the week.
    Pearce's character was a terrible antagonist,
    with superpowers appearing just once before never being used again, like the Godzilla breath.
    The battle sequences in the dark and the rain, Pacific Rim committed the same crime, were poor and indistinct, with the same armour that protected Stark from the hammer of Thor
    being taken apart like lego.
    The stuff with Pepper, awful
    , her aquiring super powers herself, utter sh1te, and her "cure", dismal.
    And, The Mandarin, what a pitiful load of sh1te, Kingsleys performance was fine, he was working with his script and generated exactly the right amount of menace,
    but later with the revelation as to his true nature, the biggest kick to the throat by a AAA film adaptation of well known material, the equivalent of turning the Joker into a Tesco till operator with an interest in amateur dramatics halfway through The Dark Knight.

Oh, and the whole scene with the airliner, utter bull,
    not only with the sudden new found ability of the suit to glue people together, but also that Stark wasn't even in the suit at all, making one wonder why the character even bothers getting into it anymore, and wouldn't that have been handy at the end of the Avengers?

So, no, I didn't enjoy Iron Man 3 at all.
    I was actually happy I wouldn't have to sit through any more, given that it was, allegedly, the last standalone Iron Man movie.

Roll on a new Hulk feature though!

Your complaints have been noted and it sure has it faults but I enjoyed nevertheless.
    Not as good as the first but better than the second and I also hope it is definitely the last.
    Iron Man 3 is no worse than the majority of the other Marvel features.
    The stories and adaptations for the majority of the marvel universe have been a mixed bag at best with some abysmal decisions made ending up some utter dross being filmed - X3 and the 2nd Hulk- but every so often they hit the right combination and we get a decent movie.
    Iron Man, Spiderman 2, X-Men 2, and maybe the Avengers being the best.
    I've enjoyed some of the lesser characters films, like both Ghostriders and Daredevil and Guardians of the Galaxy (I think thats what its called) looks like it might be excellent.
    I wish they would take more risks or try something different once in a while.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

I agree with Ciderman on Iron Man 3 i thought it was pants, im stilling holding out for a
    double reversal on the Manderin in the future
    . i recently watched all the films again, and i didnt notice first time that in the first iron man the
    crowd that kidnaps him is called the ten rings, also when obidia visits the terrorist leader in his camp, in the tent he has the ten rings flag hanging on his wall.

Watched Man of Steel again last night, while i still think they should not have changed his origin story that drastically, eg
    the way he doesnt save his father from the tornado. his father dying from a heart attack and Superman despite all his powers not being able to save him is a defining moment for him, changing that is just stupid.
    its not bad once you accept that and also the fact
    thousands of people would have died in the destruction at the end. its no wonder the next one is Superman vs batman, he should be public enemy number 1 after that disaster.

While we are wishing for stuff, I'd love to see the Avengers go down the root of World War Hulk and maybe even get a Planet Hulk movie.

ive a question if anyone can help me out

For awhile now i wanted to try final fantasy games since the only ones i have played are FF 7 and FF 13

Was young when i played FF7 and remember being blown away by the game at the time but got lost and never finished it

FF13 i enjoyed up till around the 10 hour mark then by the linear nature of the game i lost interest.

Interested in trying FF 10 but i am just wondering what are the games worth playing in the series ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

For awhile now i wanted to try final fantasy games since the only ones i have played are FF 7 and FF 13

Was young when i played FF7 and remember being blown away by the game at the time but got lost and never finished it

FF13 i enjoyed up till around the 10 hour mark then by the linear nature of the game i lost interest.

Interested in trying FF 10 but i am just wondering what are the games worth playing in the series ?

Might be some candidates mentioned in this thread - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057051633

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭megaten

anyone watching kill la kill yet ?

I liked the first episode but was a bit bored with the second. I'm sure it'll end up being good overall though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Poor Sega forum :(

Master of the Universe

And the forum mirrors reality :(

On the plus side, now that I'm no longer a moderator, the trolling can begin. :D

Ah its died a death over the years, Sega are a games publisher nowadays, & as such, discussion of Sega of today is better suited in the main Games forum. Discussion of Sega of old, is far better suited here as there's a much bigger audience for it.
    o1s1n wrote: »
    On the plus side, now that I'm no longer a moderator, the trolling can begin. :D

Head on over to Games, Retr0 & Johnny need that placed spiced up :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

where will we clutch at straws at the possibility of Shenmue 3?

where will we clutch at straws at the possibility of Shenmue 3?

Create a Shenmue thread here, I've never played the game & know nothing about it...I'd be interested to read what some of you think about it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Myrddin wrote: »
    Create a Shenmue thread here, I've never played the game & know nothing about it...I'd be interested to read what some of you think about it :)

barney.gif

• Advertisement

Ha, I could mention quite a few more games that I've never played where that gif would be more than warranted :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Now its dead though they'll announce Dreamcast 2!
    With a new ChuChu Rocket!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Myrddin wrote: »
    Ha, I could mention quite a few more games that I've never played where that gif would be more than warranted :o

Haha, sure I'm the same if I'm honest. Loads of games I really need to get to.

Edit:
    I use that gif often enough that I uploaded it to my own web server for easy access :)
    I'm sad I know :0/

VIII has always been my favourite. I'm currently replaying it, and it's still stunning today. IX was also a lot of fun. I remember it taking me quite a while to get into, because it seems a lot more light hearted in the beginning. By the time I was halfways through it though, I was loving it.

I liked X for what it was. It had a few nice touches like being able to control the summons, and it's story was interesting. But all in all I was put off by the voice acting... And Wakka's hair.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,890 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I definitely wouldn't start with FFVIII. IT does everything wrong and has a god awful story. The whole fun in that game is the gloriously broken battle system that is too complicated for its own good. I'd give it a try once you are more familiar with the series.

FFVII is a good starting point, easy to get into but it's a bit old in the tooth now. FFIX would be my favourite of the PS1 games. Nice, simple and a lot of fun.

I couldn't really recommend FFX now. It was good when it came out but it has a seriously annoying encounter rate that might put you off.

The snes games make good starting points, FFIV, FFV and FFVI. They aren't overly complex. FFIV is just loads of fun, short and very fast paced and has a great PSP version. FFV has a gloriously broken battle system but unlike FFVIII it's easy to understand. FFVI is the closest to the modern games but without the FFVII BS of trying to be Evangelion. It's probably got the strongest story of them all but the battle system is quite simple, although not as simple as FFVII.

Do not under any circumstances buy the PS1 versions of the SNES games. They are ruined by poor programming. Also the PAL versions of the PS1 games are significantly worse than the US releases.

• Advertisement

Oh, and what I played of XII, it seemed like muck.

deathrider wrote: »
    Oh, and what I played of XII, it seemed like muck.

It's an interesting idea that just didn't really work due to it being rushed. I found the boss battles worked excellently but out on the field the main problem was running out of MP. You'd have to spend ages running in circles to build up MP or else using osmose which dragged fights out even more.

Xenoblade really took the ideas in FFXII and totally fixed them with a fabulous battle system.

The story in FFXII was also total gash. If only Matsuno had stayed on the project.

The story is why I lost interest in it so quickly. For me, an FF game has to have a decent story in order to keep my attention.

deathrider wrote: »
    The story is why I lost interest in it so quickly. For me, an FF game has to have a decent story in order to keep my attention.

FF games have interesting stories? When did that happen? :P

It's nothing to do with stories for me. A good RPG needs to have a good pace to keep it going and usually the Final Fantasy games have done that well. FFVIII has a god awful story but it never really gets in the way of the enjoyment of the game and it keeps feeding you setpieces at a steady rate. FFXII's combat problems killed the game dead for me.

There's games with far better stories than FF that are totally ruined by poor pacing.

FF games have interesting stories? When did that happen? :P

It's nothing to do with stories for me. A good RPG needs to have a good pace to keep it going and usually the Final Fantasy games have done that well. FFVIII has a god awful story but it never really gets in the way of the enjoyment of the game and it keeps feeding you setpieces at a steady rate. FFXII's combat problems killed the game dead for me.

There's games with far better stories than FF that are totally ruined by poor pacing.

I haven't gotten around to XIII, and to be honest, I'm in no rush to either. The stories and gameplay have to work well for me to really enjoy it. I just couldn't sink that amount of hours into an RPG where I didn't care about the outcome of the characters. Unless, of course, it's Pokémon, but that's a different kettle of magikarp.

FFXIII has one of if not the best battle system in the series but has major pacing problems. It feels like FFX's problems taken to the extreme. IT's problems are nothing to do with the story. It's not great but it's about on par with the likes of FFVIII although I do like how some of the characters develop.

Some wonderful reporting from the Sun:

JO33n5I.jpg

Anyone that has played Deus Ex will get how much of an idiot the journalist is.

I was looking forward to their exposé of ACME and their continued use of Road Runners and Coyotes in testing.
    No one has yet an accurate count of the death toll due to the illicit sale of rocket skates and earthquake pills.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

Some wonderful reporting from the Sun:
    I'm suprised at you reading that rag, it's one step down from the gutter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

... So I've got an odd question; have any of our globe-trotting-as-part-of-my-job friends here ever been to Singapore and if so would you be kind enough to recommend any decent video-game shops/ arcades to check out? please

• Advertisement

before the sega forum closes down to the dark abyss would one of you beautiful ods save my shenmue thread if possible and bring it here ?

Master of the Universe

before the sega forum closes down to the dark abyss would one of you beautiful ods save my shenmue thread if possible and bring it here ?

Done! Saved from the nuke.

love you o1s1n :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,755 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

You know what? I kinda wish Treasure would just stop porting their old games at this stage and make something new. I know ports are probably massively cost effective, but even for a game like Ikaruga there's only so many digital copies one needs to own!

Also, just played the Paleto Score in GTAV. Another epic mission. The heists in the game are consistently, hilarious inspired. Anyone who didn't think GTAIV was fun enough...

I didn't like Gta 5. A fantastic game , well presented and a technical achievement on what they did on 7 year old consoles but i feel ever since gta 4 ive outgrown the series. It takes itself too seriously and prefer more likeable characters than 3 stooges.

I was going to skip it but a week till its releases I bought into the hype and was let down.

GTAV too serious? Really? I think it strikes a perfect balance, just absurd enough, without descending to Saint Row levels of immaturity. Huge change from the po-faced IV. Not without its weaknesses, but being too serious is sure as hell not one of them. If anything, I'd think the characters need a bit more weight to them without going down Niko levels of unconvincing, dissonant sympathising. Still, they do a much better job at making them credible parts of the exaggerated reality of San Andreas - characters that exist to help personify the way different people play the game, with just the right amount of (less invasive) storytelling.

Also, love this:

The Last of Us has displaced GTA5, just for a little while.
    But in the hours I have played in GTA5, it's a return to form.
    Now, I enjoyed the 4th installment but this one brings back the humour and a location with character.
    I'm looking forward to playing it again by the weekend, Joel and Ellie are nearly done now, poor b@stards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Currently (im)patietiently waiting on the postman to deliver my 3DS. Stupidly quick postage time as it was only posted on Sunday in Japan and is currently en route to customer according to the an post tracking.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement