Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arcade and Retro General Chat in Karkariko Village Tavern: Live Ocarina Music

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Currently (im)patietiently waiting on the postman to deliver my 3DS. Stupidly quick postage time as it was only posted on Sunday in Japan and is currently en route to customer according to the an post tracking.

Thats insanely quick, is that expedited shipping?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Myrddin wrote: »
    Thats insanely quick, is that expedited shipping?

Sent via EMS and possibly witchcraft, that's all I know!

Sent via EMS and possibly witchcraft, that's all I know!

Will you be stung for VAT on that at the door?

Will you be stung for VAT on that at the door?

Hoping not to! But could possibly be. What happens actually if you don't have the money to pay vat at the door?

Hoping not to! But could possibly be. What happens actually if you don't have the money to pay vat at the door?

I've often wondered that, I presume they take the item with them & you've to go to the depot to pay/pick it up later on?

• Advertisement

I've often wondered that, I presume they take the item with them & you've to go to the depot to pay/pick it up later on?

Yeah that's what I'd assume would happen, and then if it's not collected within a certain time I'd say it's sent back.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Or you might get an invoice in the door at a later date if it's someone like Fedex etc. That's how it worked for me getting stuff from playasia via EMS.

Ive ignored fedex invoices in the past and never heard a peep from them

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,890 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Hmm, I'm having trouble with post as well. 2 things I've ordered from playasia have yet to arrive and stuff I ordered after it arrived yesterday. Getting worried they are lost in the post since I really wanted both of these and they aren't available anymore.

Sauron Interception

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,890 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Finished up the first season of Sailor Moon. I was not expecting the final three episodes. They were a big tonal shift but amazing all the same. They were also heartbreaking. If you watch the whole season from start to finish you'll get very attached to the characters which makes the events in those episodes even harder to take :'(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Hmm, I'm having trouble with post as well. 2 things I've ordered from playasia have yet to arrive and stuff I ordered after it arrived yesterday. Getting worried they are lost in the post since I really wanted both of these and they aren't available anymore.

Are the coming from HK ? There postal system has under a lot of strain recently, new regulations about shipping batteries slowed down processing a lot..

Yeah, they are always pretty slow so I'll give it a few more days. The weird thing is I got stuff that was shipped 2 weeks ago where it usualyl takes a month to arrive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Steve X2

The only trouble I've really had with postal systems is An Post. They lost, delayed and generally messed me about no end (both sending and receiving post).When you have problems receiving post its a pain, but when you have probs just sending something to someone in Dublin or Ireland that's really bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,269 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Was going to complain earlier on this thread about play Asia as I'm still waiting for Gunhound EX to arrive. I think it may have arrived this morning though. Took ages.

Yeah play asia always seem to take ages.

Postman just dropped off this, and no VAT. (well so far anyway)

08104679-80AB-47D7-A3DA-5F3BA001E9ED-9628-00000A2F107530ED_zpse13189e6.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Postman gave you cigarettes?

Score!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

For those of you with a Vita, Murasmasa Rebirth gets released today.

http://blog.retrogamer.net/general/muramasa-rebirth-hits-the-european-psn-store/
    The great news is that Vanillaware’s fantastic side-scrolling 2D hack-em-up is now available on PS Vita in Europe.

There’s always bad news though, and the negative news attached to this announcement is that it’s a digital only release. Rather annoying when you consider how lovely the limited edition set released in the US is.

Still it’s great news that the game is finally here as it’s a fantastic looking 2D side-scrolling adventure that pays tribute to the classy scrolling fighters of old.

This'd come highly recommended for those who missed out on its original Wii release. Hell, even those who didn't, there's supposed to be a stash of new content in there too.

Achilles wrote: »
    Postman gave you cigarettes?

Score!

Yeah, secret address hiding cigarettes :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Found this thread on Assembler earlier, pretty cool.
    http://www.assemblergames.com/forums/showthread.php?47983-My-attempt-at-a-SNES-Bot-couple-of-questions

Dude is using a Raspberry Pi to directly communicate with a Super Famicom to play Super Mario All Stars.

That is... the Raspberry Pi is playing the game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Steve SI wrote: »
    The only trouble I've really had with postal systems is An Post. They lost, delayed and generally messed me about no end (both sending and receiving post).When you have problems receiving post its a pain, but when you have probs just sending something to someone in Dublin or Ireland that's really bad.

Think they have just lost something I have sold over on adverts.ie. It's over a week late.
    The buyer being a little pissy about it as well, saying they got other stuff within 2 days. I've gotten stuff from Japan quicker than from Longford!
    I made a rookie mistake and didn't send it registered!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

Yeah, secret address hiding cigarettes :P

Why hide it, everybody knows your address in anyway:)

Atavan
    c/o Diageo
    James Gate
    Dublin 8

Master of the Universe

Unless he's gone on a particularly mad bender. Then its;

Atavan,
    Mountjoy Prison
    North Circular Road,
    Dublin 7.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

o1s1n wrote: »
    Unless he's gone on a particularly mad bender. Then its;

Atavan,
    Mountjoy Prison
    North Circular Road,
    Dublin 7.

My colleagues in the area says his address is

Atavan
    ECT room
    Central Mental Hospital
    Dundrum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

Steamworld Dig is 20% off today:

http://steamworldgames.com/dig/

If you have a 3DS you really should have this game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

Finished up the first season of Sailor Moon. I was not expecting the final three episodes. They were a big tonal shift but amazing all the same. They were also heartbreaking. If you watch the whole season from start to finish you'll get very attached to the characters which makes the events in those episodes even harder to take :'(

You know what, I REMEMBER the end of the first season and I recall thinking that it was great. A very dramatic revelation and a great build toward the final battle with Queen Beryl.

Having said that I tried to watch an episode of the show again around 2002 and couldn't get past the first 5 minutes as it was so cringey. I might feel different if I watch it now but don't want to take the risk.

You know what, I REMEMBER the end of the first season and I recall thinking that it was great. A very dramatic revelation and a great build toward the final battle with Queen Beryl.

Having said that I tried to watch an episode of the show again around 2002 and couldn't get past the first 5 minutes as it was so cringey. I might feel different if I watch it now but don't want to take the risk.

The show is really predictable and unoriginal but you watch it more so for the characters, their development and the humour.

The english release had the last 2 episodes cut into one episode and cut out all the more violent elements from it. I heard they totally ruined it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

came across this vid randomly of nintendo strategy in the 90s and what their competitors thought of their business practise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

... So I've got an odd question; have any of our globe-trotting-as-part-of-my-job friends here ever been to Singapore and if so would you be kind enough to recommend any decent video-game shops/ arcades to check out? please

There's one in Jurong Point mall, on the bottom floor. Not especially remarkable, but lots of NTSC-J, given its proximity to the Motherland, and they've some GCN and PS2 stuff tucked away on the left hand corner near the counter. Grand auld place for PSP stuff, generally. There's also a shop not too far off Raffles, and it'd be similar in terms of stock, but you're as well just googling it for all the use I'd be for directions.

Keep an eye out for internet cafes in Hawker centres; they tend to have arcades- lots of Astro. The Jurong East one would be my most immediate recollection, but it's quite common practice, I believe. Mind, hope you like King of Fighters.

If you're anyway tempted by bootlegs, crossing the border into Malaysia would be recommended. Every second store seems to sell PS2, GBA and Famiclone stuff; Mostly legit hardware, minus the Famiclone, of course.

• Advertisement

reviews coming in for sonic lost world. receiving poor to mixed scores :(

IGN: 5.8/10
    Joystiq: 3.5/5
    TheSixAxis: 7/10
    Polygon:6/10
    PocketGamer: 8/10

A mediocre Sonic game? Colour me unsurprised.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,755 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Richy, you left out the nastiest Edge and Eurogamer reviews ;)

When I have more time later on, I'm going to identify all the optimistic posts made here about that game - and there were surprisingly many - and mock them mercilessly.

Or not. But rest assured I'm doing it in spirit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

thesoniccycle1.png

But....Sonic is my mascot hero :(

Are you really surprised by this? Sonic games for almost the last twenty years haven't lived up to the legacy...

• Advertisement

It's time to be cruel but kind.

Get a new mascot that isn't in **** games. In other words stop pretending you don't like mario.

I thought sega were on the right path coming off games like colours and generations.

I don't like mario games, I tried but i never care for the Italian plumber

I suppose I have to move on to my other Mascot Hero

Jack Frost :D

Would Snake classify as a mascot ? if yes then **** sonic :L

I thought sega were on the right path coming off games like colours and generations.

I didn't think Colours was all that great, it had all the usual mistakes within that are prevalent through Sonic games of today. Generations was the closest they got, but at that, I only enjoyed the 2d sections & even still, they were only imitating the great games in the series, it still didn't get everything right

Sonic reviews: 'The level design is atrocious with most deaths coming not at the players cack handedness but due to unsignposted pitfalls'.

Sonic Team: 'I know how to fix Sonic. For Sonic Generations we are going to signpost the pitfalls with actual signposts! Who needs better level design!'.

We Need More Burning Rangers Sega

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I see however that at least two of the reviews give 8/10 and there's a 7 in there as well.
    I guess this isn't the Sonic game we want but I would like to finally play it to make up my own mind.
    I wonder if there'll be a demo available.
    But I am prepared to be disappointed.
    So far, only the Mario platforming series had been exempt from being a let down, and even then the steady stream of NSMB titles have become somewhat stale.
    Perhaps a rent from a still remaining Xtravision will do the trick.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,755 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I guess this isn't the Sonic game we want

Because we have to chase him. Because he's the hero we deserve, but not the one we need right now. So we'll hunt him. Because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a speedy guardian. A watchful protector. A blue hedgehog.

NSMB DS was a big disappointment for me. So far it's the only totally soulless mario game I've played.

NSMB DS was a big disappointment for me. So far it's the only totally soulless mario game I've played.

Did you ever play the Mario 3 conversion of it?

If it's just a mod of it to Mario 3 I'd rather play the original :)

Yeah its just a conversion of the NSMB game, into Mario 3 but retaining the updates graphics etc

Master of the Universe

Have you played NSMB2? It takes it up a level where the main purpose of the game is literally to chase as many gold coins as you can. :D

Still, I found it fun. Same with NSMB. Too easy, but still fun.

Master of the Universe

Did you ever play the Mario 3 conversion of it?

I played it briefly - really interesting hack! Wouldn't mind seeing similar ones done with other classic games and more modern engines.

Boo urns! You're no fun! Didn't play Black Mesa either then I take it? :p

Well what I liked about Black Mesa was it put it's own spin on things. It was kind of like Resi REmake or FFIV on the DS.

Master of the Universe

But would you not just rather play the originals? :p

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement