Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arcade and Retro General Chat in Karkariko Village Tavern: Live Ocarina Music

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

If you have PS+ you can now download the Dark Souls 2 Beta.

You'll only be able to play it for a few hours from 7am on Sunday morning though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,269 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

DinoRex wrote: »
    If you have PS+ you can now download the Dark Souls 2 Beta.

You'll only be able to play it for a few hours from 7am on Sunday morning though.

Don't do it! Spoils the full game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I was 5 when it came out in Japan in 1988 and 7 when it came out in 1990 in Europe.

Christ.

8 and 10 respectively for me... :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    That's a pretty ropey port, no? Got it on the PS as part of 3D collection, and it's been mostly shunned for the fact it runs at a pace that'd give a glacier a sense of haste.

Well, it seems okay.
    I also gave it a whirl on the PS while I was there, with the originals both lacking a certain pace.
    Xevious Arrangement plays great though, with updated 2d graphics, while the Xevious 3D/G game itself is pretty nice, I like the stark, lightly textured enemies and backgrounds, makes it look uncluttered.
    Unfortunately the original games have aged badly, mostly as it's wave after wave of flying enemies with poor patterns of attack, better is their predecessors, diving to rain destruction on players in Galaga.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

http://www.gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=215417\

gunstar heroes was almost rejected if it were not for one man

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

So we have him to blame for Retr0 and his fundamentalism when it comes to that game!

Somewhere, in a parallel universe, there is a Retr0 that loves lousy games.... fulfilling the role I currently occupy 'round here :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,891 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

My love of Cdi, cho aniki, burn cycle, gal gun etc. begs to differ.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    So we have him to blame for Retr0 and his fundamentalism when it comes to that game!

Somewhere, in a parallel universe, there is a Retr0 that loves lousy games.... fulfilling the role I currently occupy 'round here :(
    You sure it isn't the same Retro we have here?

You sure it isn't the same Retro we have here?

Uh oh. You referenced a prequel. EVERYBODY HIDE FROM THE WHINERS!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

What a way to start saturday

I woke up at 8:40am and dropped by xtravision for the opening of hmv/xtravision joining up together, was handed out a card with a number on it and got a blu ray player for a tenner. With only ten euro in my pocket my dad backed me another tenner and got 3 blu rays for 20 euros, CHronicle, zombieland and the departed.

Handed my dad to pay for them and a women throws in batman the dark knight returns blu ray cartoon for free. Overjoyed as i was trying to pre order batman origins for the dvd but got it anyways :pac:

So i am broke again ...but happy :D

Master of the Universe

Wow, that's a great morning indeed! Talk about the last thing you were expecting to happen :) A Blueray player is still one thing I don't have. There's one on my laptop but it never really occurs to me to use it. Really not the same as having one under the telly.

Tyre blew out on my bike half way home from Parcel Motel this morning. Must have mounted the tube badly after my previous flat a few weeks ago. So I'd to walk the rest of it in the rain pushing a bike with a flat.

And the the thing I was picking up turned out to be something really boring (I thought it was going to be the 6 slot jamma adapter thing and was quite excited about it but turned out to be an art folder)

Only way to save this day is to order a take away and watch an 80s action film.

o1s1n wrote: »
    Wow, that's a great morning indeed! Talk about the last thing you were expecting to happen :) A Blueray player is still one thing I don't have. There's one on my laptop but it never really occurs to me to use it. Really not the same as having one under the telly.

Tyre blew out on my bike half way home from Parcel Motel this morning. Must have mounted the tube badly after my previous flat a few weeks ago. So I'd to walk the rest of it in the rain pushing a bike with a flat.

And the the thing I was picking up turned out to be something really boring (I thought it was going to be the 6 slot jamma adapter thing and was quite excited about it but turned out to be an art folder)

Only way to save this day is to order a take away and watch an 80s action film.
    Well, the first 3 Rambo movies are on Sky Movies, tonight. Maybe you could give them a watch.

I'm using the time my missus is away in Norway to watch the Fast and Furious films, Glob help me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I'm using the time my missus is away in Norway to watch the Fast and Furious films, Glob help me!

Should you not be filling the attic up with a line of cabs while she's away? If there's a problem with that when she gets back tell her she can lift them out :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

I actually really enjoy those movies. To really appreciate them, you've got to just turn your brain off for two hours. The latest one was loads of dumb fun.

Well, just one left, feels a bit like Oceans 11 but without Clooney, and a lot more very short skirts... I for one do not think they suit Mr Diesel....
    Last one to be watched tonight, gaming done while missus away? close to nil :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,063 ✭✭✭Doge

1382124_10151748207578963_2053146339_n.jpg

You know, there's a level in NSMB2 that's just like that!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,756 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

A Blueray player is still one thing I don't have. There's one on my laptop but it never really occurs to me to use it. Really not the same as having one under the telly.

Get yourself one, seriously! BluRay is *generic omnipotent being's* gift to cinema fans. The care and attention several companies are giving to films through the medium is just amazing. I'm not exaggerating when I say it makes 90 year old films look like they were made yesterday.

Of course, along with all the good there are isolated incidences of studios waging their ongoing war against film via the medium (degraining... shudder), but BluRay is the best proof of the edge physical formats still have over downloads and streaming.

It's interesting, for a while now everyone had the chance to be a movie buff, with material usually only available to the committed fan, or rather the fan who is willing to devote the time to finding behind the scenes docs and interviews with directors and stars, all this was included in the features/extras menus of DVD's and Blurays.
    Now, with the explosion of the streamed media onto the scene, we are back to the VHS days of just the bare movie, with none of the great contextual stuff.
    I haven't bought a Blu in a year or so, must pick a couple up, although they tend to be films I know I love and so already own on DVD, might pick up The Right Stuff, probably my favourite film of all.

It's interesting, for a while now everyone had the chance to be a movie buff, with material usually only available to the committed fan, or rather the fan who is willing to devote the time to finding behind the scenes docs and interviews with directors and stars, all this was included in the features/extras menus of DVD's and Blurays.
    Now, with the explosion of the streamed media onto the scene, we are back to the VHS days of just the bare movie, with none of the great contextual stuff.
    I haven't bought a Blu in a year or so, must pick a couple up, although they tend to be films I know I love and so already own on DVD, might pick up The Right Stuff, probably my favourite film of all.
    And this is why I can't take media streaming as a legitimate way of delivering movies. Not only do you get a compressed movie, both audibly and visually, you get nothing beyond the movie. Nada. Not to mention that the studios can pull their movie off the service any time they want, so once a movie is gone, it's gone. In fact...

http://www.cracked.com/quick-fixes/5-ways-streaming-video-will-suck-in-future/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

I'm not a big movie kinda guy, so personally, I'm really enjoying streaming movies through the likes of Netflix. I can understand the lack of extra features annoying poeple though. One thing I'd love to see on that service is trailers to go alongside the movies. There are tons of films on there that sound like they could be interesting, but without a trailer I don't usually take the chance.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,756 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Don't get me wrong, streaming is great as well, but Netflix is extremely limited in the amount of content it offers. Still enough to justify a couple of euro or month, but there's thousands and thousands of great releases you can't get on it or most of the other digital services.

That said, I trialled Hulu Plus for a few months, and their selection of Criterion titles is amazing - a stunning range of classic cinema, many of which are effectively impossible to get elsewhere. If you could access it easily here, I'd happily cancel my Netflix in favour of that.

Don't get me wrong, streaming is great as well, but Netflix is extremely limited in the amount of content it offers. Still enough to justify a couple of euro or month, but there's thousands and thousands of great releases you can't get on it or most of the other digital services.

That said, I trialled Hulu Plus for a few months, and their selection of Criterion titles is amazing - a stunning range of classic cinema, many of which are effectively impossible to get elsewhere. If you could access it easily here, I'd happily cancel my Netflix in favour of that.

It's the fact that they are going back to pan and scan, cropping the films, throttling the movie quality, low bit sound, and have the power to decide which cuts of which films you'll have access to.
    At least if I use torrents I get a choice... A choice filmed in an iPhone in a Russian multiplex with sound from a Canadian drive thru but a choice nevertheless!

• Advertisement

It's the fact that they are going back to pan and scan, cropping the films, throttling the movie quality, low bit sound, and have the power to decide which cuts of which films you'll have access to.
    At least if I use torrents I get a choice... A choice filmed in an iPhone in a Russian multiplex with sound from a Canadian drive thru but a choice nevertheless!
    Oh right, I forgot about that too.

man-widescreen.png?w=500&h=281
    man-netflix.png?w=500&h=281

basterds-widescreen.png?w=500&h=281
    basterds-netflix.png?w=500&h=281

blood-widescreen.png?w=500&h=281
    blood-netflix.png?w=500&h=281

I thought with the advent of BD and widescreen TV's, we've seen the death of cropping the image to remove the black bars.

I'd love how they're going to crop digitally shot movies in the manner of the one with Jerry Lawler above me. The fixed resolution will really show if they do stuff like that.

Off the top of my head I'd say they are doing it because by effectively zooming in on a scene, even a little bit, they lower the information contained within and save on storage and bandwidth necessary to pipe it across poor networks.
    I'm not knowledgeable in this area but I'm sure, taken across the entire spectrum of their movie collection, and the amount of films watched, that's got to add up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭megaten

I'm interested in getting a blu ray player but it seems impossible to just go and buy a region free one like you could with dvd players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭MrVestek

megaten wrote: »
    I'm interested in getting a blu ray player but it seems impossible to just go and buy a region free one like you could with dvd players.

If you can track down a ps3 with 3.55 firmware or lower then you can soft mod it.

Multiman will play blurays from any region.

Master of the Universe

What I basically do is this - if I feel like throwing something on, doesn't matter what it is really, I'll lash on US Netflix and find something. Be it a film, a TV show or a documentary. I think that's it's strong point - instant choice. Not much thought required.

However, if I fancy watching something properly and putting a bit of thought into it, (maybe lashing on the projector :)) then it's high quality download all the way.

• Advertisement

When it comes to aspect ratios, Masters of Cinema are the best thing to ever happen to home cinema:

15yi2hc.jpg
    Not much thought required.

Are you saying you don't face the crippling 'browse Netflix for half an hour, can't decide on anything' syndrome? :eek:

Master of the Universe

When it comes to aspect ratios, Masters of Cinema are the best thing to ever happen to home cinema:

The sad thing is, I'd say a good 60-70% of the viewing audience don't really know/care/have a general apathy. It's really annoying.

It's similar to the whole digital changeover (both video and music) - the general masses are happy with a standard and don't want to reach above that.

Actually I could also liken it to people not caring about RGB and sticking to composite with consoles too.
    Are you saying you don't face the crippling 'browse Netflix for half an hour, can't decide on anything' syndrome? :eek:

Oh I most definitely do. I find that happens to me most when I'm looking for a film as it's a bit of a commitment.

What I've been doing lately to get around that is to mainly watch TV shows and documentaries. It's almost like watching normal TV. Far less hemming and hawing.

Actually something kind of nice too, I watch Netflix on my Sony CRT. It adds an element of authenticity to 80s and 90s TV shows :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Steve X2

RIP Edna Krabappel

nhqo.png

Master of the Universe

:(

250px-Edna_Krabappoly.png

Wait a minute. Bart's teacher is named Krabappel? I've been calling her Crandall. Why didn't someone tell me? Oh, I've been making an idiot out of myself!

Wait a minute. Bart's teacher is named Krabappel? I've been calling her Crandall. Why didn't someone tell me? Oh, I've been making an idiot out of myself!

People may have simply been kind, thinking you to be somewhat simple of mind....
    Could be worse, they could have pointed out you've been getting the words to the Itchy & Scratchy Show theme music wrong as well!

Off the top of my head I'd say they are doing it because by effectively zooming in on a scene, even a little bit, they lower the information contained within and save on storage and bandwidth necessary to pipe it across poor networks.
    I'm not knowledgeable in this area but I'm sure, taken across the entire spectrum of their movie collection, and the amount of films watched, that's got to add up.
    I honestly don't think that's the case, as the black bars are just empty space that shouldn't take up much data compared to an image cropped to the same resolution. Because now that there's a lot more going on within the image, I'm certain that it would take up more bandwidth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

It's not Netflix's decision.

Netflix can only show what this studios supply them with, and those doctored versions are what they're being given.

Master of the Universe

I honestly don't think that's the case, as the black bars are just empty space that shouldn't take up much data compared to an image cropped to the same resolution. Because now that there's a lot more going on within the image, I'm certain that it would take up more bandwidth.

When you zoom to get rid of widescreen bars you also lose picture from both sides, its a ratio thing. You cant remove black bars and keep the sides.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭martineatworld

Got properly done on adverts for the first time... Was sold a ps3 that turned out to be broken, seller isn't answering calls. Where do I go from here?

Despite all the bad things said about it, and how bad it is for selling, I've always found it very useful.

I'm not a happy man!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Thought a few here might be interested in this, went to the "Newbridge Silverware Museum of Style" today, they have a load of Lord of the Rings stuff, props, costumes, swords, all used in the films that they are auctioning off soon. its free in, worth a look, there is a load of other stuff there too. here is a few pics. The "One Ring" is there too..

12.jpg
    10.jpg
    4.jpg
    81.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Got properly done on adverts for the first time... Was sold a ps3 that turned out to be broken, seller isn't answering calls. Where do I go from here?

Despite all the bad things said about it, and how bad it is for selling, I've always found it very useful.

I'm not a happy man!

The only thing really is go to the guards. Not sure what they'll do though. If you paid by credit card/PayPal file a claim or request a chargeback and also report the seller to adverts.

I'm not a happy man!
    The only thing really is go to the guards. Not sure what they'll do though. If you paid by credit card/PayPal file a claim or request a chargeback and also report the seller to adverts.

The guards won't intervene here, its a civil matter/private sale, there's nothing they can do. Paypal usually aren't interested either unless it's an ebay transaction afaik. Get in touch with Adverts on their talk-to forum, though it's likely you won't get your money back :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Myrddin wrote: »
    Paypal usually aren't interested either unless it's an ebay transaction afaik.
    I don't think this is true. Myself and others often buy outside of eBay and sometimes I help them out making claims and stuff, not once have I heard of anyone having issues that PP is ignoring their problem because it wasn't bought on eBay.
    Once you pay for the item as "goods" it's covered by Buyer Protection.
    If you paid as gift for goods, you could get both your accounts closed because you're avoiding fees.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭martineatworld

Myrddin wrote: »
    The guards won't intervene here, its a civil matter/private sale, there's nothing they can do. Paypal usually aren't interested either unless it's an ebay transaction afaik. Get in touch with Adverts on their talk-to forum, though it's likely you won't get your money back :(
    Aye, paid in cash.

It's not the end of the world but getting scammed has hurt my pride...!

I've reported him and left feedback but I don't think anything will come of it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Best thing to do then would be sell it on as broken or for parts and recoup some of the money. You could also give Sony a ring and see if it's still in warranty for repair.

You could always find him, wrap a steak around his groin then set the dogs on him.
    It's cruel, I nearly got stung for a 3DS:XL only for the Adverts mod ringing me.
    Best outcome might be that the guy/gal gets a life ban and no one else gets scammed.
    Did the fu*ker have feedback?

Best outcome might be that the guy/gal gets a life ban and no one else gets scammed

No idea how the mods/admins there could enforce that, all it takes is a new phone number & email address to set up a new account. Unless they have other ways like ip address monitoring etc. Though I guess even then, there's way & means...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

thankfully he got another negative feedback, this time for increasing the price after agreeing a deal.
    even if he doesnt get a ban, the chances of anyone buying off him again are slim and none.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement