Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arcade and Retro General Chat in Karkariko Village Tavern: Live Ocarina Music

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

There are rumours that Sony might announce Demons Souls 2 at an event on the 15th November.

Best reason to get a PS4 right there.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Me too, sat in on my own and watched Monsters University, like Monsters Inc but now with 95% less laughs...

I watched Grabbers last night. Wasn't too bad, I quite liked the creature design.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

I watched the grudge. Was alright I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Watched man of steel, was crap but looked gorgeous

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

DinoRex wrote: »
    There are rumours that Sony might announce Demons Souls 2 at an event on the 15th November.

Best reason to get a PS4 right there.

Where's the logic in that with Dark Souls 2 out next? No need to get a PS4 either if you have a PC (and a 360 controller :pac:).

Can't wait for that to come out on dvd at the end of the month, excellent film it is!

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Where's the logic in that with Dark Souls 2 out next? No need to get a PS4 either if you have a PC (and a 360 controller :pac:).

Demons Souls is exclusive to Sony, it's also probably what Miyazaki has been working on as he isn't involved Dark Souls 2.

DinoRex wrote: »
    Demons Souls is exclusive to Sony, it's also probably what Miyazaki has been working on as he isn't involved Dark Souls 2.

That would be a shame if it was a PS4 exclusive so, wouldn't be arsed forking out for a console just for a single game - not at those prices anyway. Makes no sense to limit your target audience like that either.

They can fook off too if they delay The Last Gaurdian to make it a PS4 only release (or have they done that already?).

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Really? I thought the special effects in that where horrible, especially the fight scenes in smallville it was really bad, it looked like a cartoon. I was watching the hobbit the other day, when they fall into the goblin cave and they all rush out at them, those goblins looked real, i mean they where flawless looking, then i see Superman fighting two kyrptonians and i couldnt believe how bad it was.

• Advertisement

I thought the Smallville fight was the only good action sequence in the film.

You could follow what was going on. Everything else was just an absolute mess.

Thor 2 does some great battles where you can really follow what's going on, makes it infinitely better than Man of Steel... Although some of the bad guys do look like something Rita Repulsa would send to beat up the Power Rangers.

Im not saying the fight was bad, i probably agree with you it was the best action sequence in the film, But the special effects on it is terrible, there are parts where it looks like a cartoon.

keithgeo wrote: »
    I was watching the hobbit the other day, when they fall into the goblin cave and they all rush out at them, those goblins looked real, i mean they where flawless looking

Was that the same part where they're running along those wooden bridges? Looked like you were watching someone play Diablo 3 or something similar, fake as hell that was I thought.

Can't wait for that to come out on dvd at the end of the month, excellent film it is!

Crap is the wrong word I used, was worth the watch but few things I had a few issues with that would of made it an excellent film for me. Def going to buy it on blu ray but I didnt like all the jumping scene to scene, didnt feel natrual or have really a steady flow. Also had an issue with the ending
    metropolois been destroyed the way it did but superman kissing lois there where people are being crushed to death, also superman letting thousands of people die but that family had to be saved for him to kill zod then
    Fightning was excellent but went on too long I felt

Other than those issues I still give it around a 7 or close to 8 out of 10

My thoughts can change maybe on the second viewing :L

Was that the same part where they're running along those wooden bridges? Looked like you were watching someone play Diablo 3 or something similar, fake as hell that was I thought.

Where they first fall down and hundreds of the goblins come running at them. The special effects on the Goblins was brilliant, i know what you are saying later though when they are running through the bridges but it wasnt near as bad as Man of steels effects.

I thought Man of steel was terrible when i seen it in the cinema, they
    changed too much of the back story, what makes Superman, Superman.. plus the city destruction was crazy
    but the worst thing about it was the special effects in those quick fight scenes, i really couldnt get over how bad they where, even my wife thought it looked like a video game when she seen it. ive watched it again and when you accept its flaws its an ok film i guess, but its not my superman! haha

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,756 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Slightly depressing that mere coherent action is something of a positive these days in Hollywood. Things be grim in the factory that is blockbuster cinema!

Oh, and Man of Steel was near worthless tripe, no question whatsoever. Still surprised the 'hurricane' scene particularly was so well received when the execution was so awful.

• Advertisement

It just took really simple stuff from the Superman original storyline and made it all needlessly complicated to the point where it made absolutely no sense at all.

There's a reason why Superman is so universally popular and that is because it's essentially a simple story and quite a classical story as well.

I felt like there might have a been a good Superman movie lurking in there somewhere, but it was completely destroyed in the editing room. Everything they did well was undone tenfold almost immediately.

Music was great though... best thing about it.

I do not like zack snyder as a director and when I tell people that they always bring up 300. 300 was striking beautiful but its plot is so dull the movie is only enjoyable when you switch off your brain.

I didn't like watchmen either for that matter.

Man of steel I felt was made to target the complaints of superman returns so warner bros took Zack snyder on board along with christopher nolan to make a more darker , edgier superman for the 21st century audience who just love explosions and fast pace action which isnt always a bad thing but when character development and story defects then its worthless.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

I do not like zack snyder as a director and when I tell people that they always bring up 300. 300 was striking beautiful but its plot is so dull the movie is only enjoyable when you switch off your brain.

I didn't like watchmen either for that matter.

Man of steel I felt was made to target the complaints of superman returns so warner bros took Zack snyder on board along with christopher nolan to make a more darker , edgier superman for the 21st century audience who just love explosions and fast pace action which isnt always a bad thing but when character development and story defects then its worthless.
    Which is a shame, because I actually liked Superman Returns. Those people who complained about the lack of action or "Superman never punched anybody" were idiots.

I've yet to see Man of Steel, though I'm not looking forward to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

I watched a few epsisodes of Fraiser last night. The fight scene was well choreographed and made inventive use of the surroundings. The cgi on Eddie was almost lifelike.

Watched Lost Boys for the first time last night after a few people told me it was brill but it's shoite like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Sharknado > Man of Steel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Man of Steel was a bad film I thought, bad writing and pacing etc. Then as a Superman film is is complete sh1te, and I am a Superman fan so I couldn't help but be very disappointed by it

I'll give it my lowest score ever, 7 thumbs up!

One saving grace of it though is this

Christopher-Reeve-Henry-Cavill.gif

Because Christopher Reeve is the man!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I saw MoS, and there was stuff I didn't like, but there was plenty I did enjoy so, well, I'm conflicted!
    I loved Watchmen and could appreciate the visuals of Sucker Punch, the rest of that movie made feck all sense and ultimately made the film a deliberate attempt to make a whacking off feature for nerds.

It was a summer of disappointments though, but Thor: Dark World and Ms Dennings has more than made up for it all.
    Might try to slip off to see Enders Game tomorrow before it disappears too, then await Gravity with bated breath, I have a couple of passes for the Imax in town to redeem and that seems to be the one!

I'm avoiding Ender's Game on account of Orson Scott Card being an utter knob.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    I watched a few epsisodes of Fraiser last night. The fight scene was well choreographed and made inventive use of the surroundings. The cgi on Eddie was almost lifelike.

Watched Lost Boys for the first time last night after a few people told me it was brill but it's shoite like.

say what :eek:

The Lost Boys is superb, from tip to tail, aside from the sax playing semi naked guy .
    The movie would make a great double bill with The Goonies methinks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

^This^

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    The Lost Boys is superb, from tip to tail, aside from the sax playing semi naked guy .

Yeah the WWF wannabe Sax player is great but the rest is a bit meh.

On a side note modern music really needs a resurgence of the saxophone.

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Yeah the WWF wannabe Sax player is great but the rest is a bit meh.

On a side note modern music really needs a resurgence of the saxophone.
    Like this?

• Advertisement

Hey,
    Is it worth picking an XE-1 up, for the Snes?
    I found one but it's €70 with shipping.
    That's not expensive for an XE-1 but it is pricey for a Snes stick.
    What y'all think?
    Here's the one I'm talking about

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,269 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I was going to buy one a while back (I think it was €30) but did a bit of research and it seems it's one of the worst sticks they made :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Came across this image a while back and thought it was pretty cool(nerd cool that is of course). The guy has since updated it and this is the latest version.
    Obviously you need to click it to see the full(12MB) image.

Starship Size Comparison:
    science_fiction_spaceships_by_dirkloechelsml.jpg

Very nice Steve, if I was single that'd be going on my wall!

o1s1n wrote: »
    I was going to buy one a while back (I think it was €30) but did a bit of research and it seems it's one of the worst sticks they made :(

Thanks for that, saves me making an expensive mistake!

Steve SI wrote: »
    Came across this image a while back and thought it was pretty cool(nerd cool that is of course). The guy has since updated it and this is the latest version.
    Obviously you need to click it to see the full(12MB) image.

Starship Size Comparison:
    science_fiction_spaceships_by_dirkloechelsml.jpg
    Heh. Those ships remind me that Watch is airing Babylon 5 tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

CiDeRmAn wrote: »

You insult Tim Cappello....well I never!!

But I think the sax really needs to make a comeback

I mean who doesnt love careless whispers sax

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,891 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

What I learned from Blue Stinger:

Jack Burton is wasting his time learning martial arts. I can know any martial art by wearing a t-shirt that says karate.

I wonder if it'd work if you were wearing that pound shop aftershave Karate?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,063 ✭✭✭Doge

I just searched for a long lost LCD game i loved from my childhood,
    and found out its called Tomytronic Shark attack:

5155304625_a926355842_z.jpg

I was thinknig to myself that is kind of Dr. Bob's territory,

and low and behold, the only youtube video i could find for this device mentions him in it!

This is what the LCD looked like:

Tomy-3DSharkAttackBox.jpg

This is the closest thing I've ever had to a VR headset. :p

Might have to pick one up for pure nostalgia sake!

Anyone know how the other games compare?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

had Sky Attack as a kid, very addictive.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

waveform wrote: »
    I just searched for a long lost LCD game i loved from my childhood,
    and found out its called Tomytronic Shark attack:

5155304625_a926355842_z.jpg

I was thinknig to myself that is kind of Dr. Bob's territory,

and low and behold, the only youtube video i could find for this device mentions him in it!

This is what the LCD looked like:

Tomy-3DSharkAttackBox.jpg

This is the closest thing I've ever had to a VR headset. :p

Might have to pick one up for pure nostalgia sake!

Anyone know how the other games compare?
    ah stigsgameroom , lovely guy!
    I did a video on all the tomytronic loveliness a year or two ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Steve X2

New Ghosts 'N Goblins game kickstarter. I dunno, in the video they talk a lot about how good they are and how great the game will be, but not a bit of in game graphics at all! If they are so good surely they could mock up some sort of "it will look like this a bit" footage.

c89e8a1fc6e79864f9e8f92dc952b3c7_large.jpg?1383442662

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/phantasmstudios/ghosts-n-goblins-demon-world/

You'd be crazy to drop money on that. They're just hoping that Capcom will like what they've done and let them publish it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

I've been doing a few youtube videos with my mate lately where we watch movies based on video games and then have a wee chat about them. So I'm looking to pick up a hape of these movies on DVD. I have a bunch of the obvious ones (Doom, Tomb Raider, Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, blah, blah, blah), I was wondering if there are any cool obscure ones that might be worth picking up. They don't have to be good though. Onechambara is on my list if I can find a localised DVD copy of it. Any ideas, lads?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,756 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Ace Attorney. Probably the only good live action one.

deathrider wrote: »
    I've been doing a few youtube videos with my mate lately where we watch movies based on video games and then have a wee chat about them. So I'm looking to pick up a hape of these movies on DVD. I have a bunch of the obvious ones (Doom, Tomb Raider, Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, blah, blah, blah), I was wondering if there are any cool obscure ones that might be worth picking up. They don't have to be good though. Onechambara is on my list if I can find a localised DVD copy of it. Any ideas, lads?

;)

220px-The_wizard_poster.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

Ace Attorney. Probably the only good live action one.

I'd forgotten all about that one. It only came out a little while ago though. I don't reckon it would be out on DVD yet.
    ;)

Oh, god, yes. I've never actually gotten around to seeing this one. This is as good an excuse as any to finally give it a spin.

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

deathrider wrote: »
    I'd forgotten all about that one. It only came out a little while ago though. I don't reckon it would be out on DVD yet.

afaik it's been realised in Japan, Australia and Germany

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement