Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arcade and Retro General Chat in Karkariko Village Tavern: Live Ocarina Music

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

deathrider wrote: »
    I've been doing a few youtube videos with my mate lately where we watch movies based on video games and then have a wee chat about them. So I'm looking to pick up a hape of these movies on DVD. I have a bunch of the obvious ones (Doom, Tomb Raider, Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, blah, blah, blah), I was wondering if there are any cool obscure ones that might be worth picking up. They don't have to be good though. Onechambara is on my list if I can find a localised DVD copy of it. Any ideas, lads?

I think there was Alone In The Dark with Christian Slater. Never watched it though, probably muck. :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Andrew76 wrote: »
    I think there was Alone In The Dark with Christian Slater. Never watched it though, probably muck. :)

I seen that years ago, it is muck haha..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

I started watching Alone In The Dark on Netflix one night ad got mad bored, mad fast. It's on the list though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭martineatworld

There's films based on silent hill, bloodrayne, and dead or alive. Look up uwe bolls wiki page, as he's directed a lot of awful awful video game films.
    There's a house of the dead film which is so bad it's kinda enjoyable. I'd recommend it for some very low brow entertainment!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Any mobile gaming fans here? {iOS/Android etc}. We've put it to a vote to see if it'd be a better idea to have a subforum of the main Games forum devoted to mobile/android/iOS games - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057075544 As it stands, mobile gaming chat gets drowned out very fast in the busy Games forum. So feel free to +1 or -1 the idea {for or against} :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Myrddin wrote: »
    Any mobile gaming fans here? {iOS/Android etc}. We've put it to a vote to see if it'd be a better idea to have a subforum of the main Games forum devoted to mobile/android/iOS games - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057075544 As it stands, mobile gaming chat gets drowned out very fast in the busy Games forum. So feel free to +1 or -1 the idea {for or against} :)

Defo a good idea. Massive market these days with some quality titles, easily worthy a forum of it's own imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

DinoRex wrote: »
    I watched Grabbers last night. Wasn't too bad, I quite liked the creature design.

I loved Grabbers. I was possibly strongly influenced by large amounts of it being filmed in my home town. The pub exterior they used was the pub I grew up above till I was 6! :-D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

The DoA movie is probably pretty much the most perfect adaptation imaginable:

There's films based on silent hill, bloodrayne, and dead or alive. Look up uwe bolls wiki page, as he's directed a lot of awful awful video game films.
    There's a house of the dead film which is so bad it's kinda enjoyable. I'd recommend it for some very low brow entertainment!

I've got the DOA flick here for one of these shows. It really is awful. It's like Charlie's Angels without the fun... Our the Drew Barrymore.

Yeah, House of The Dead is spectacularly bad. We covered that one in our first episode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Steve SI wrote: »
    New Ghosts 'N Goblins game kickstarter. I dunno, in the video they talk a lot about how good they are and how great the game will be, but not a bit of in game graphics at all! If they are so good surely they could mock up some sort of "it will look like this a bit" footage.

c89e8a1fc6e79864f9e8f92dc952b3c7_large.jpg?1383442662

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/phantasmstudios/ghosts-n-goblins-demon-world/

Good god that's a terrible video promoting themselves, Capcom would be right to steer clear, leave the original, it's great, don't bastardise it !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,063 ✭✭✭Doge

Dr Bob wrote: »
    ah stigsgameroom , lovely guy!
    I did a video on all the tomytronic loveliness a year or two ago

Ah great video Bob, only had time for a quick search-a-rooni last night! You are probably the only person on youtube to attempt to record it.

I remember the screens being pretty bright and vibrant as a child, is that definitely the case?

I see you mentioned Steve Benway also in your video, have had him added on facebook for the last year. Its excellent how everyone is interconnected!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

I think that it's a general given that movies based on games, or games based on movies are going to suck balls.
    Of course there is the odd rare exception, like Raul Julia's portrayal of M Bison in Streetfighter: The Movie.

I think that it's a general given that movies based on games, or games based on movies are going to suck balls.
    Of course there is the odd rare exception, like Raul Julia's portrayal of M Bison in Streetfighter: The Movie.

They're usually pretty much balls, but there are a few that I enjoy. Tomb Raider is good fun, although it's pretty silly and is miles away from it's source material. Mortal Kombat is dumb as a bag of hammers, but that's one of the reasons I love it. I remember really enjoying Silent Hill too, although I recently watched the sequel and it's awful.

As far as M.Bison goes, there a video doing the round of Ono from Street Fighter recreating on of Bison's scenes from the movie. It's gas. Well worth checking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

I liked the silent hill movie aswell as mortal kombat and street fighter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,270 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Street Fighter is great! Watched it for the first time in years recently and really enjoyed it.

Always thought Street Fighter was muck myself. The Street Fighter II animated movie is great fun though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Now who wants to go home ....and who wants to come with me!!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,756 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

o1s1n and deathrider's avatars are so similar it looks like someone with multiple personalities arguing with themselves :eek:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

deathrider wrote: »
    Always thought Street Fighter was muck myself. The Street Fighter II animated movie is great fun though.

Dont forget there is a ChunLi film as well with Lana from smallville in it! its actually not completely muck, close though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Neil McDonagh as Bison/Dictator struck me as an inspired choice, as was the retconning of his backstory to one of a quasi-Irish fascist, but from the 25 odd minutes I've seen of it, it seems to be a middling kung-fu flick propped up by a vague adherence to the source material. Frankly, it's more notable for the fact the chap who played Gen also starred in Mortal Kombat as Liu Kang.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Mortal kombat seems to have gotten off the lightest treatment, most things that have its name on it arnt complete muck. Even the TV series was.....well watchable.

the Street Fighter movie, well from watching now, it seems as if they knew it was **** even making it so they had some fun with it. Well everyone except JCVD, he's playing it legit all the way!

Master of the Universe

Speaking of JCVD, I watched Hard Target for the first time in years on Saturday. Cheesy as **** but it's fantastic! :D

This is how action scenes should be done. None of that shaky camera nonsense. Just big ass stunts with JCVD standing on a motorbike while shooting a gun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

@1:00 how did he manage to stay standing lol?

Oh Hard Target is a winner.

And you make a good point with shaky camera. One of my friends has a cinema in his garage and we regularly watch ****ty films there and even 80's B movie fight scenes are better than a lot of the shaky camera crap that I find so irritating now.

Master of the Universe

@1:00 how did he manage to stay standing lol?

I find that bit especially hilarious due to all the boxes.

'****, we need boxes for this stunt, how do we hide them?'

'Meh, just leave them in!'
    Oh Hard Target is a winner.

And you make a good point with shaky camera. One of my friends has a cinema in his garage and we regularly watch ****ty films there and even 80's B movie fight scenes are better than a lot of the shaky camera crap that I find so irritating now.

Shaky camera has completely ruined the modern action film alright :(

Fairly sure The Raid had very limited use and it was such a nice break from it.

• Advertisement

Hard Target is probably the only good John Woo US movie.

Lance Henrickson is great in it.

Oh and if you're into bad movies the Miami Connection is probably one of the best of all time. Neon 80s rock band who are experts at Taekwondo go up against a gang of drug smuggling ninjas. It's absolutely crazy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Bloodsport is another of those "so bad it's good" Van Damme movies. It's like Rocky IV meets The Karate Kid, but on a shoestring budget.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,756 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

First glimpse of The Raid 2 due tomorrow, incidentally. Hopefully it will be back for JDIFF in February following the incredible response to the first that cold Saturday morning two years ago!

Red Letter Media's 'Best of the Worst' series is brilliant for discovering new crap:

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLJ_TJFLc25JR3VZ7Xe-cmt4k3bMKBZ5Tm

Very funny series.

Also I recommend the 'How Did This get Made' podcast:

http://www.earwolf.com/show/how-did-this-get-made/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,891 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Mortal kombat seems to have gotten off the lightest treatment, most things that have its name on it arnt complete muck.

Pity the games are complete muck (mk9 being the surprising exception).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Pity the games are complete muck (mk9 being the surprising exception).
    I don't know. I heard Shaolin Monks is an intresting twist on the series. Ed Boon even hinted at a HD release for it.

I never played any MK title. Only very briefly my brother's Mega Drive copy of UMK3.

MK games are great fun, even if they are heavily flawed, but I'm not getting into that debate here again. Shaolin Monks if fantastic stuff though. It paid like a co-op 3D Streets of Rage style game set around the events of the first three Mortal Kombat titles, complete with hammy voice acting.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,891 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Actually I have to admit shoalin monks was good fun. It was pretty mediocre but the 2 player mode elevated it into some good stupid fun.

I just find the my games as fighting games absolutely atrocious. There's very little depth as multiplayer and single player is a chore. Loved the games when I was younger but looking back and playing them now they really were some of the worst fighting games around and I was only playing for the naughty gore.

DinoRex wrote: »
    Hard Target is probably the only good John Woo US movie.

Lance Henrickson is great in it.

Oh and if you're into bad movies the Miami Connection is probably one of the best of all time. Neon 80s rock band who are experts at Taekwondo go up against a gang of drug smuggling ninjas. It's absolutely crazy.

An amazing film!

Extraordinarily disturbing video, even by Twilight standards: http://uk.movies.yahoo.com/meet-the-terrifying-puppet-baby-axed-from-twilight-073013871.html

Maybe CGI isn't so bad...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

I see that SuperValu are selling the new Call of Duty at 45euro again, why can't they do that with games that I want to buy?

e75ea31f-e042-4b25-9736-cccd1e6f2a1b_renesmee-chucky.jpg

That chin. Makes Bruce Campbell's seem normal by comparison.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Sony PocketStation is back.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I'd say Retr0 soiled himself at the image of Legend of the Dragoon, available from the Playstation Store!

• Advertisement

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I'd say Retr0 soiled himself at the image of Legend of the Dragoon, available from the Playstation Store!

The horror.

Well...
    Retr0gamer wrote: »
    The horror.
    I'll take that as a yes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

Legend of the Dragoon, available from the Playstation Store!

Free with every download:)
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRPK8REdCklP5RrgdWdQmhpbEEXyb6e0s7SuUhiknVA6t0GL81bSw

Now I know what to give him if I get Retr0 in the secret santa!
    Nice!

Had a go of DK Jet thingy today, it's still muck :(

The Rip-Hoff pt.1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭safetyboy

nice little stop motion NES vid

safetyboy wrote: »

nice little stop motion NES vid

Were you saving that especially for your 1000th post? ;)

THe combined RAM of all the units sold is scary compared to todays standards.

Very impressed with Nov entries in the Instant Game Collection on PSN+
    Remember Me and MGS Revengence, the former of which seems very nice indeed, though the designer seems to have made a chimera of Uncharted and Mirrors Edge.
    Motorstorm RC is there too and, boy, am I glad I didn't pay cash money for that!

• Advertisement

I got my 500th video game today. I'm well happy about that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement