Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arcade and Retro General Chat in Karkariko Village Tavern: Live Ocarina Music

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

I got resident evil 1,2 and 3

Used to own resi 1 but i remember lending it to my cousin who never gave it back and I still own resident evil 2 but its badly damaged to the point its no good.

Never played nemesis so i am super excited to get into that :D

Also got Alundra

Psn has proved to be a valuble asset to my gaming needs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

The first three Res E games are great. The first two especially. That reminds me, I must get back to finishing Res E: Deadly Silence one of these days.

Yeah one and two are some of my favourite games of all time though i never completed any of the ps1 games cause the puzzles were too confusing for 8 year old me :pac:

Did on the other hand finish the remake on the wii which is just glorious and how a remake should be made.

Yeah one and two are some of my favourite games of all time though i never completed any of the ps1 games cause the puzzles were too confusing for 8 year old me :pac:

Did on the other hand finish the remake on the wii which is just glorious and how a remake should be made.

I played a small bit of the remake on Gamecube and from what I can recall it was terrifying!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Not retro but the new humble bundle has Batman Arkham Asylum GOTY, FEAR 2 &3 and LOTR war up north , for $1 (about 70 cents), via STEAM.
    ..which is nice
    (..a few quid extra gets you arham city goty and Scribblenauts unlimited as well)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Dr Bob wrote: »
    Not retro but the new humble bundle has Batman Arkham Asylum GOTY, FEAR 2 &3 and LOTR war up north , for $1 (about 70 cents), via STEAM.
    ..which is nice
    (..a few quid extra gets you arham city goty and Scribblenauts unlimited as well)

Yeah I got the lot of them for €3.20 or something. Steam really is the devil!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Very impressed with Nov entries in the Instant Game Collection on PSN+
    Remember Me and MGS Revengence, the former of which seems very nice indeed, though the designer seems to have made a chimera of Uncharted and Mirrors Edge.
    Motorstorm RC is there too and, boy, am I glad I didn't pay cash money for that!

I hope that's not an attack on Motorstorm RC :) Other than Persona 4 Golden it was probably the game I sunk most time into last year, it's a great time-attack game, and the closest thing to Micro Machines in ages. Still have a global top-10 time on one of the tracks as far as I know.

The competition on the Playstation forum last year was great fun, was hobbled by my thesis submission and viva towards the end so dropped from a comfortable 1st place to a still-respectable 3rd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,270 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Looks really amazing. That's some piece of work for a fan made game.

I wonder why Nintendo haven't shut it down yet? It's so blatant, even referring to itself as the next title in the series. I've seen them shut projects down for far, far less.

Edit - then again, it's not like other cases where people were ripping off Nintendo characters, they're all new in this one. Hmmm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

An non-Itoi Mother seems as incomprehensible as a non-Fleming Bond.......oh, wait.

Does look pretty slick, mind. Oish hits on a good point with Ninty not cracking down on it, especially since they're utilizing trademarked assests such as the Mr. Saturn, and, of course, the name. Hope it's not a reserved dick-move, waiting 'til midnight before release day, like some anonymous bint tried pulling with the Mother 3 trans-patch. On the subject of which, the fact Ninty still haven't comissioned Mato's work for a VC release still gets on my tits. This proves that once you satisfy a fanbase even a little, like Ninty did with the Earthbound re-release, they're going to demand the lot.

• Advertisement

What format are they planning on releasing this on?

Master of the Universe

Looks to be a PC release. If they went the whole way though and decided to make cart copies I'd be throwing money at them!

o1s1n wrote: »
    Looks to be a PC release. If they went the whole way though and decided to make cart copies I'd be throwing money at them!

Yeah same here. Pity it wasn't coded in Snes language whatever that is & released as a rom.

Master of the Universe

I guess there's less chance of litigation if they stick to PC only and don't involve production and profits.

Princess Rescue for the Atari 2600 was a good example of how that can go tits up due to Nintendo C&D letters.

o1s1n wrote: »
    I guess there's less chance of litigation if they stick to PC only and don't involve production and profits.

Princess Rescue for the Atari 2600 was a good example of how that can go tits up due to Nintendo C&D letters.

Yeah that's probably it. Shame, if ever there was justification for a repro cart this would be it

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,891 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Nintendo are being very cagey about the whole Mother thing. If you ask an employee about the licensing of samples for the music in the WiiU version of Earthbound they'll tell you 'what sampling?'. Apparently it's a 'the less people talk about it the less problems there'll be for us and the more likely it will remain available to buy'. So they have a weird thing with Mother where it seems they want to talk about it as little as possible.

I'm not sure how that will affect Mother 4 but apparently Nintendo a ok with the fan translation but can't give a statement to that effect. Perhaps NOA and NOE are ok with it and hoping the japanese wing don't get work of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

You know, the devs for these fanmade games should really stop announcing their games before release so they can avoid the dreaded Cease and Desist. The guys who developed the Streets of Rage Remake kept a low profile and they didn't really go crazy with the publicity until the final version of the game was released.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

The Chronotrigger remake was a big loss.

I would for these companies to stop with this hole shut down ****e and just hire the guys that are going out of their way and using their time to make this games clearly the companies have no interest in making.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

By the way everytime Kiefer Sutherland said 'Michael' in The Lost Boys, it kept reminding me of Gob in Arrested Development.
    'Banner loves Michael.'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

REmake on the cube is still in my top 3 most memorable games, I loved every single second of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    By the way everytime Kiefer Sutherland said 'Michael' in The Lost Boys, it kept reminding me of Gob in Arrested Development.
    'Banner loves Michael.'

I always wondered why I had a strange feeling about the way he said it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

I always wondered why I had a strange feeling about the way he said it!

Arrested Development ruined that name for me.
    My youngest brother is called Michael.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

"The Man Inside Me"
    Enternow used to love that book.....

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    "The Man Inside Me"
    Enternow used to love that book.....

I presume you got permission from the missus to post that?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Myrddin wrote: »
    I presume you got permission from the missus to post that?

Watch it all but go to 1:43 for a reading from the great man!

Ehhh. Arrested Development wasn't that great. Especially compared to classic Simpsons. The first two seasons series were pretty good, but the third was just bad. I couldn't even finish that one. And I hear that the fourth isn't that much better.

The first two seasons series

What's this about? Season refers to one season within a series...everyone knows that!

*I may be wrong

• Advertisement

Myrddin wrote: »
    What's this about? Season refers to one season within a series...everyone knows that!

*I may be wrong
    Only if you're American. Just like their lack of "U's" in colour.

Only if you're American. Just like their lack of "U's" in colour.

Strange, I've always referred to seasons as being part of a series. Even years back yonder, the ad on Sky 1 was "Star Trek The Next Generation, the seventh and final season...right here on Sky".

Season 1 of TNG
    Breaking Bad, Season 1
    LOST Seasons 1-6
    The Walking Dead, season 3

All UK & Irish sites. You sure it's not the other way around?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

I used to always call them 'series' and considered 'season' to be American too, though I think 'Season' is used everywhere nowadays.

If in doubt, go with what Red Dwarf does:

redwarf3.jpg

Of all the shows to counter me :( Honestly though for years & years I've heard Season as part of a Series :confused:

I only consider it a season if it has exactly 13 episodes in a series.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

13 is generally considered a 'half season'

Season 4 of Arrested Development is brilliant as whole, but the individual episodes generally don't stack up too well, but the way it all fits together is quite brilliant.

There's probably bit too many George Snr. episodes, who is a great character, but doesn't work too well on his own.

• Advertisement

Season/series, whatever. As long as you're not calling your mobile your cell, you're grand.

deathrider wrote: »
    Season/series, whatever. As long as you're not calling your mobile your cell, you're grand.

True that, don't tell me thats creeping in now too? :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

deathrider wrote: »

What, are you saying you don't go to a garage to get 'gas' for your car? :pac:

Master of the Universe

Season is most definitely an Americanism alright. I never used that term growing up, always just said 'series'.

So you'd have The Simpsons Series 1, Series 2 etc.

Not sure when season crept in. Was a subtle one!

It's one of the less offensive Americanisms to be honest though, as Andrew76 pointed out, as long as you're not saying cell/gas/trunk/fossett/'like' after every second word you're grand :D

Spent the morning in the company of Espgaluda II, very nice indeed, and Assassins Creed....
    And regarding Assassins Creed, WTF man!
    The tutorials just go on and on and on, non-stop.
    And then the "we are taking away all your cool weapons and you have to earn them back, because you're an @sshole"
    I want to play the fecking game, and while we're at it, fix the controls so I don't have to restart the scene when I leap to my death in a ravnie because the context in which I pressed X wasn't just right!

• Advertisement

Andrew76 wrote: »
    What, are you saying you don't go to a garage to get 'gas' for your car? :pac:

Anything other than "pethriddle" is the wrong way to say it

Master of the Universe

Anything other than "pethriddle" is the wrong way to say it

For your 'vay-hickle'?

Or as Dave Allen once pointed out, Americans say things like "Sh1t, I just stepped in dog doo-doo!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Season is easier to say than series. People are lazy :D
    Although I've been calling it season 1, season 2 etc for years and years. But then again, I've been downloading american shows for years and years.
    Plus I went to school in Boston for a year so may have picked up some Americanisms during my teens.

Steve SI wrote: »
    Plus I went to school in Boston for a year so may have picked up some Americanisms during my teens.

Steve during his year in Boston, running with the Southies
    The-Town-006.jpg

edit: Steve is neither Batman or Hawkeye....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,756 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

When you're writing an article about TV, and don't want to use one word over and over, you'll be glad there's two available to mix **** up :pac:

Always think series can get confused with a more general phrase like 'The Wire is a good TV series' anyway. Season is nice and clear: the rare Americanism we should welcome!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Can't remember what programme it was, but I'm sure I've heard the term "cycle" used before.

Can't remember what programme it was, but I'm sure I've heard the term "cycle" used before.
    That Next Top Model show?

I DON'T WATCH THE SHOW! I SWEAR!

Well, pretentious fantasy novels talk in terms of "cycles", so it wasn't Game of Thrones or something like that was it?

There's lots of 'cycles in Sons of Anarchy as well!

Does anyone remember the name of that one game show on CITV which the contestants have to do some bizzare things, like answering the question while upside down, or something?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement