Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arcade and Retro General Chat in Karkariko Village Tavern: Live Ocarina Music

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,392 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I was going to ask was it Funhouse, but if your username is your DOB, I doubt that would mean anything to you :D

Sometimes people ask why the hell I don't get my haircut, did I have any hope after growing up with Pat Sharp on the TV?

Pat-Sharp-2236288.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭STG.Otaku

Just watched Gravity at The Point.

One of the best films I have ever seen in my life. Just incredible. Everyone left the cinema utterly stunned.

Give it every award possible. Everything. It 110% deserves to win every Oscar and other award imaginable.

****. Even invent new Oscar categories for it and let it win.

Believe the hype.

Master of the Universe

Great to hear! I was really excited after seeing the trailer but didn't want to get my hopes up.

I watched one teaser with my wife and we just decided to go. I avoided any more trailers and media spin. Took it for what it was.

Genuinely, it took me back to when I first watched BTTF and knew right then that it was my favourite film of all time. It took nearly 30 years to get anywhere close to that same feeling, which I got tonight from Gravity.

Isense 3D is the way to see it. Dont dare watch it any other way.

Still thinking about the film now. Wife and I are going to see it again very soon.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,654 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I am hoping to venture in tomorrow evening, I have two passes from a botched showing of The Hobbit there last year, not sure how to go about converting those passes into tickets, given it'll probably be sold out.

And, regarding the cinematography, could the images of space have been improved by the addition of giant robotic fish?
    Giant Robotic Fish with lasers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

o1s1n wrote: »
    I was going to ask was it Funhouse

I was going to say Wackadays, but that was Saturday morning, whereas CITV was weekday afternoons.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,834 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I am heading to see it tomorrow and much excited about the prospect, but as ever **** 3D, point blank. For me no film will ever be the 'film you have to see in 3D', because it's a fundamentally broken aesthetic and technology. If I can play any miniscule role in its eventual demise, I will happily continue to do so.

I am heading to see it tomorrow and much excited about the prospect, but as ever **** 3D, point blank. For me no film will ever be the 'film you have to see in 3D', because it's a fundamentally broken aesthetic and technology. If I can play any miniscule role in its eventual demise, I will happily continue to do so.

Mr. U, I await your response tomorrow. As a fellow 3D non-believer, Gravity blew me away. Just you wait and see. This is THE 3D film.

It is just unreal. Genuinely.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,834 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

STG.Otaku wrote: »
    Mr. U, I await your response tomorrow. As a fellow 3D non-believer, Gravity blew me away. Just you wait and see. This is THE 3D film.

It is just unreal. Genuinely.

Well, I'm currently engaged in organisational juggling to ensure we attend one of the few 2D screenings Dublin's cinemas have been kind enough to schedule, so my response will be hopefully based on that ;)

• Advertisement

Not a joke:

2wftlzb.jpg

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,530 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Just watched Gravity at The Point.

One of the best films I have ever seen in my life. Just incredible. Everyone left the cinema utterly stunned.

Give it every award possible. Everything. It 110% deserves to win every Oscar and other award imaginable.

****. Even invent new Oscar categories for it and let it win.

Believe the hype.

I know it's a film and all, but is it anyway realistic or do you still hear explosions in space etc?

/Edit: Bone Alone? Sounds like a night in for some regulars here... :P :P (just kidding)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

I was going to ask was it Funhouse, but if your username is your DOB, I doubt that would mean anything to you :D
    Nope, it wasn't that. And...

Original run 24 February 1989 – 29 December 1999

I would have been well old to remember it, anyway. Besides. That show was amazing.
    I was going to say Wackadays, but that was Saturday morning, whereas CITV was weekday afternoons.
    Nope. Looked it up and it would have been out of my league.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,654 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I think the 3d thing is over sold but there are a small number of films where it works.
    A Very Harold & Kumar Christmas and Beowulf look pretty good in 3d but the rest, to a man, were a waste of time. The worst offender was Alice in Wonderland, a murky mess thanks to wearing sunglasses in the dark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,894 ✭✭✭Steve X2

The one thing I'll say for 3D (and I dislike it in the cinema) is watching documentaries at home. Some of them just look amazing and it really adds to the experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,110 ✭✭✭Doge

A kickstarter page launched today for a Space Exploration game with Retro graphics called Interstellaria:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/coldricegames/interstellaria

It will feature music from Northern Irsh chiptune aritst - Chipzel.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I think the 3d thing is over sold but there are a small number of films where it works.
    A Very Harold & Kumar Christmas and Beowulf look pretty good in 3d but the rest, to a man, were a waste of time. The worst offender was Alice in Wonderland, a murky mess thanks to wearing sunglasses in the dark.

jackie-chan-images_14807.jpg

Ahhh. Found out what it was.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crazy_Cottage

jackie-chan-images_14807.jpg

Its brilliant, crude as hell but they do some great work in 3d, and its because everyone is in on the joke so, essentially, its a 3d tech demo with laughs.
    I believe The Nightmare Before Christmas is brilliant but, I must confess as a life long Burton fanboi, I have not seen it.

I forgot how annoying it can be setting up a new OS and file system on an Amiga from scratch and getting whdload working properly. I've gotten so used to more modern systems that its taking a while for my brain to remember that this is what I used to do all my work on years ago.

I'm using winuae to do most of the work and then transferring to a cf card hard drive, so at least I can speed things up that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

I understood 'Amiga'. Do I get a cookie? :)

• Advertisement

Hey Ciderman, I hope you'll be getting this months issue? :)
    I just grabbed it on the iPad there just in time as I'm getting on a plane in an hour. Will pick up the physical copy when I'm back.

w7eo.jpg

cvr4.jpg

I don't usually but that looks like a must have.
    I found it ironic recently to hear an EA exec bleating on about the benefits of a dipolar console market, how a single format would be bad for business!

Cave are making an RPG / bullet hell hybrid. Could be interesting, could be aimed at an increasingly grim Japanese 'social game' market. Maybe both!

Looks a bit weird :)

GameCenter CX Movie:

Hmm, I kind of like the look of the iPhone cases(without the branded screen protector I think). They're officially licensed from Sega as well.
    http://tommo.com/announcements/sega-hardware-series-accessories-from-tommo-mobile-set-to-release-starting-in-november/

genesissystem.jpgUS_SGController_023D.jpg

And a bluetooth speaker as well, because why the f*** not :)
    3w8n.jpg

BAH! Typical Americans pretending the name Mega Drive never existed.

Just back from seeing Gravity and I have to concur with STGotaku and remark that it is possibly the film of the year for me, certainly better than the slew of disappointments over the summer.
    Also it can only be appreciated lb the biggest screen you can find, and in 3d.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Finished breaking bad today , overall i enjoyed it and its a tv show that should be the standard of quality for others to follow. It has some silly moments I thought and few filler moments that sort of left me bored but overall I quite enjoyed it.

Also is it just me but breaking bad had an awful of of similarities to death note :pac:

Just back from seeing Gravity and I have to concur with STGotaku and remark that it is possibly the film of the year for me, certainly better than the slew of disappointments over the summer.
    Also it can only be appreciated lb the biggest screen you can find, and in 3d.

stephen-colbert-told-you-so.gif

Saw Gravity as well. When it was good it was fantastic, but was disappointed at how clunky the delivery of some of the quieter scenes were. Bullock's performance veers wildly from excellent to bland. But it's a technical achievement like few others, and several sequences are among the finest cinematic spectacles you'll see, the kind you just want to applaud everyone involved. Just a tad disappointing the characters and their psychology don't amount to a whole lot, especially when the film spends a surprising amount of time on that stuff.

Oh, and having been disgracefully outvoted on the screening choice, I reluctantly donned 3D glasses. The 3D, as ever, was utter rubbish. Best I can say is it didn't distract too much.

• Advertisement

Mr. U... :(

Master of the Universe

Mr. U... :(

I wouldn't worry about it, he only likes films with Japanese people in them.

>_>

<_<

>_>

:pac:

>_>

<_<

>_>

Don't get me wrong, I liked Gravity a lot (there are various stations between unconditional love and hatred, y'know :pac:) - I would urge anyone to see it on the big screen (in beautiful, elegant 2D, of course). I was just disappointed that outside the action it didn't have much of interest to offer, the kind of sometimes impossible to articulate depths a truly great film offers (and there's been several this year I'd rate as truly great). But as a spectacle, the kind of technically dazzling event movie Hollywood seems increasingly incapable of making? Then it's like nothing else from recent years, and a welcome respite to the production line blockbuster. Cuaron, visually, is a magician.

>_>

<_<

>_>

Well, The Last Samurai is on Sky1 right now, so...

Don't get me wrong, I liked Gravity a lot (there are various stations between unconditional love and hatred, y'know :pac:) - I would urge anyone to see it on the big screen (in beautiful, elegant 2D, of course). I was just disappointed that outside the action it didn't have much of interest to offer, the kind of sometimes impossible to articulate depths a truly great film offers (and there's been several this year I'd rate as truly great). But as a spectacle, the kind of technically dazzling event movie Hollywood seems increasingly incapable of making? Then it's like nothing else from recent years, and a welcome respite to the production line blockbuster. Cuaron, visually, is a magician.

What were the truly great ones this year and are they likely to come out for rental (or Netflix) next year? Just so I can keep an eye out for them.

Well, The Last Samurai is on Sky1 right now, so...

If only TV stations showed the plethora of actually, genuinely great samurai movies instead of that nonsense :(
    Andrew76 wrote:
    What were the truly great ones this year and are they likely to come out for rental (or Netflix) next year? Just so I can keep an eye out for them.

Some of my personal favourites:
    Upstream Colour
    The Act of Killing
    The Great Beauty
    Like Father, Like Son (the director's delightful previous film I Wish was technically released here this year too, actually)
    Wolf Children
    Like Someone in Love
    Frances Ha
    Before Midnight
    This Is Not a Film

Also was quite fond of Pos Tenebras Lux, A Field in England, Captain Phillips, Spring Breakers, Story of Yonosuke, Stoker, Pieta, Beyond the Hills...

Most of them should be available to check out now or shortly! Wolf Children - probably the one I'd recommend unreservedly to anyone - is out on DVD/BluRay just before Christmas.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,040 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Some of my personal favourites:
    Upstream Colour
    The Act of Killing
    The Great Beauty
    Like Father, Like Son (the director's delightful previous film I Wish was technically released here this year too, actually)
    Wolf Children
    Like Someone in Love
    Frances Ha
    Before Midnight
    This Is Not a Film

Also was quite fond of Pos Tenebras Lux, A Field in England, Captain Phillips, Spring Breakers, Story of Yonosuke, Stoker, Pieta, Beyond the Hills...

Are they subtitled or dubbed?

Cheers JU. The only one off that list I've seen, let alone heard of, is Spring Breakers. Pretty good I thought even if the rental cover was a bit dodgy looking.

Agree about The Last Samurai, while I did like it and thought Ken Watanabe was great in it, it wasn't a patch on Seven Samurai, Twilight Samurai or 13 Assassins etc.

And I have seen none of those films MrU :(
    But I did enjoy l Oblivion, Thor:Dw, Blue Jasmine, Flight, and I seem to be one of the few to have a blast at The Lone Ranger!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,392 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

And I have seen none of those films MrU :(
    But I did enjoy l Oblivion, Thor:Dw, Blue Jasmine, Flight, and I seem to be one of the few to have a blast at The Lone Ranger!

I thought the lone ranger was good, loved the end sequence when the music kicked in, and shenanigans happened on the train. Reminded me of old films like buster keatons etc..

Same here, the "red-face" was initially distracting but there was a lot to enjoy about the matinee-era antics onscreen, "There's something very wrong with that horse", is still a line quoted to me by my son, who also loved it.

Retr0gamer wrote:
    Are they subtitled or dubbed

Someone somewhere in the world explodes everytime someone else hits play on a dubbed film. Fact.
    Andrew76 wrote: »
    Agree about The Last Samurai, while I did like it and thought Ken Watanabe was great in it, it wasn't a patch on Seven Samurai, Twilight Samurai or 13 Assassins etc.

If you haven't seen it, check the original HaraKiri, a stone cold samurai classic. The recent remake is pointless though, so beware!

Someone somewhere in the world explodes everytime someone else hits play on a dubbed film. Fact.

If you haven't seen it, check the original HaraKiri, a stone cold samurai classic. The recent remake is pointless though, so beware!

Will try and check that out thanks. Speaking of dubbed films, it reminded me of that Steven Seagal film, Attack Force. I've never seen it thankfully but was told about the shocking dubbing done on it, apparently because they changed the story line after the film was shot. :pac:

Will try and check that out thanks. Speaking of dubbed films, it reminded me of that Steven Seagal film, Attack Force. I've never seen it thankfully but was told about the shocking dubbing done on it, apparently because they changed the story line after the film was shot. :pac:

Wow, that looks awful :eek:
    I must watch it :)

Seriously, even the "France, Europe" thing seems somehow remedial or stupid. They might as well have put "France, Europe, Earth".

ctqs.jpg

Steven Seagal does have the single greatest line reading in cinema history. I love how everything about it is so right and so wrong at the same time:

• Advertisement

Steve SI wrote: »
    Wow, that looks awful :eek:
    I must watch it :)

Seriously, even the "France, Europe" thing seems somehow remedial or stupid. They might as well have put "France, Europe, Earth".

I think it might be about Vampires would you believe, truly terrible no doubt. Yeah I only realised the ",Europe" bit afterwards. I presume that's for the Americans, just in case they thought France was in Kentucky or something. :P

I think it might be about Vampires would you believe, truly terrible no doubt. Yeah I only realised the ",Europe" bit afterwards. I presume that's for the Americans, just in case they thought France was in Kentucky or something. :P

That stuff drives me insane, an american tv show, a street scene with a view of the Eiffel Tower, and up pops the caption "Paris, France", as if to differentiate between it and those who might confuse it with "Paris, Texas", which doesn't come with a tower but with an awesome Ry Cooder soundtrack

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

That stuff drives me insane, an american tv show, a street scene with a view of the Eiffel Tower, and up pops the caption "Paris, France", as if to differentiate between it and those who might confuse it with "Paris, Texas", which doesn't come with a tower but with an awesome Ry Cooder soundtrack

Well, in their defense, there's also a Paris, China.

Paris-China-2.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,573 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Gravity was good and all but im afraid Bloodsport puts it in the shade.
    'Ok USA'

Never have I seen so many splits in a film before.

Master of the Universe

Ah poor Segal. As his career progressed, you could see he was really beginning to get fond of the pies - they kept hiding him under impossibly big coats.

I googled him recently and was really horrified to see this. I know people put on some pudge as they get older, but jesus christ!

fat-steven-seagal1.jpg

Looks like he's so big he can't even stand up when playing in a band

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement