Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arcade and Retro General Chat in Karkariko Village Tavern: Live Ocarina Music

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Gravity was good and all but im afraid Bloodsport puts it in the shade.
    'Ok USA'

Never have I seen so many splits in a film before.

Isn't that all Van Damme does, spin kicks and splits.
    Almost as pointless as that numpty Chuck Norris, only reason folk think he's hard is because of his wooden acting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Anyone know what the story is with the original xbox and region locking? Is it the same as the 360 where it was left up to the developers or are all games locked? Also is it possible to make it region free with a softmod?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,063 ✭✭✭Doge

Ashens you mad bastard! WTF are you doing!!!

Edit:
    Oh dear lord, it gets much much worse:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

anyone know if the Retron 5 is still being released on Dec 10th, and where to preorder?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

anyone know if the Retron 5 is still being released on Dec 10th, and where to preorder?

I can't put a link in from my phone but here's an address of a site that's taking preoders.

http://www.funstock.co.uk/retron-5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

£90 is a bit rich for it though ??

I still want one though, something handy for under the main tv, while the actual consoles live in the games room.

4 region free consoles for just over a ton is good price imo, and is useful for those of us with limited space.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Steve X2

I've got stuff from funstock before and delivery is usually very quick. I might stick a pre-order in :)
    I must say, the Retron 5 interface is very similar to the OUYA interface.

OUYA:
    wx37.jpg

Retron 5:
    jw0n.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,892 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Xbox isn't region free at all but it's such an easy hack that you might as well get it hacked. Also if you hack it it means you can play Rent a Hero no. 1 which was unreleased on the system.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,892 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Steve SI wrote: »
    I've got stuff from funstock before and delivery is usually very quick. I might stick a pre-order in :)
    I must say, the Retron 5 interface is very similar to the OUYA interface.

OUYA:
    wx37.jpg

Retron 5:
    jw0n.jpg

They are both Android based. They are probably using the same OS with slightly modded UI.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    They are both Android based. They are probably using the same OS with slightly modded UI.

Yeah true.

tbh I don't care what the interface looks like, once it just lets me play the game, unlike the 360.

Turn on System
    Try to turn on controller, batteries dead, replace batteries.
    System Update
    Connecting to Xbox Live
    Random bloke you friended 3 years ago is online
    Pan across menu past Nexflix ads, here's a new 1200 point dlc for random FPS, etc.
    Search for game from list.
    Game patch.
    Pulls hair out.

Perhaps a wait until the machine is released and tested is in order, given it's completely region free it can be bought from any source so, hopefully, will keep the price at a sensible level.
    It's not available on Amazon.co.uk but is at least mentioned on the Amazon.com site.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Perhaps a wait until the machine is released and tested is in order, given it's completely region free it can be bought from any source so, hopefully, will keep the price at a sensible level.
    It's not available on Amazon.co.uk but is at least mentioned on the Amazon.com site.

Nah, I'm more a risk taker in these matters :)
    If I dont like it I'll just add it to my collection of unloved gadgets.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Xbox isn't region free at all but it's such an easy hack that you might as well get it hacked. Also if you hack it it means you can play Rent a Hero no. 1 which was unreleased on the system.

That's the soft mod yeah?

Also, might have a deal upcoming on one of these:

DSCN2830.jpg

Have to try convince the mother to go halves on it as she wants a new TV for the kitchen anyway :P

What Is It?

I've never seen one before, no one has, but I'm guessing it's a white hole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,270 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

PS2 in a TV. Odd yet interesting item, wouldn't mind one myself.

• Advertisement

Yeah sony Bravia TV with a built in Ps2. Nice looking and decent spec for the size. It's only 22" but has 4 hdmi ports and wireless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Isn't that all Van Damme does, spin kicks and splits.
    Almost as pointless as that numpty Chuck Norris, only reason folk think he's hard is because of his wooden acting.

Stop it will ya! He dances, travels in time, fights blind, and is a reanimated soldier.

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Stop it will ya! He dances, travels in time, fights blind, and is a reanimated soldier.

It's a pity then that acting isn't in there too ;)

And, re: the PS2 in a telly, it seems poorly reviewed, I'm interested in the price, £250 seems to be the price of the only one I can find on ebay

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

I know this will sound crazy, but the new Universal Soldier movie is really good.

Universal Soldier: Day of Reckoning, it's on Netflix. If Shane Carruth or David Lynch made a Universal Soldier film then this would be it.

DinoRex wrote: »
    I know this will sound crazy, but the new Universal Soldier movie is really good.

Universal Soldier: Day of Reckoning, it's on Netflix. If Shane Carruth or David Lynch made a Universal Soldier film then this would be it.

You're not wrong,
    it does sound crazy!

I wonder if you could watch a VHS transfer of it would it feel more authentic?

Oh it's nothing at all like a Universal Soldier film, despite the presence of Lundgren and Van Damme (They're not in it a huge amount)

It's really well shot with some amazing fight scenes and crazy plot.

Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters is pretty good fun too, which was unexpected. It's a lot of fun in an Army of Darkness type of way.

• Advertisement

It's a pity then that acting isn't in there too ;)

And, re: the PS2 in a telly, it seems poorly reviewed, I'm interested in the price, £250 seems to be the price of the only one I can find on ebay

I've been offered one for £150 posted from the uk which I figure is worth it. It'll be the mother mostly using it anyway (except the ps2 part) so not too concerned about picture quality etc...

If the PS2 breaks you're stuck with a TV with a needlessly large base and if the TV breaks you're left with a whole heap of nothing I'm guessing.

I'm generally not a fan of combi things of any kind.

Master of the Universe

If you're concerned about things breaking, you're in the wrong forum.

The tag line should be;

'Arcade and Retro - the hobby where everything breaks' :pac:

Have you ever seen the Sharp SF-1? Glorious yolk so it is!

14G-SF1_%26_21G-SF1.jpg

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

I've been offered one for £150 posted from the uk which I figure is worth it. It'll be the mother mostly using it anyway (except the ps2 part) so not too concerned about picture quality etc...

Is £150 actually cheaper than buying a 22" Bravia and putting a nice PS2 slim underneath it though? Surely you already have a PS2 of some sort?

o1s1n wrote: »
    If you're concerned about things breaking, you're in the wrong forum.

Yes. But generally if something breaks you don't want it rendering something else completely useless at the same time.

You don't want to be in a position where you have to throw out a console just because your TV is broken. Does the PS2 have it's own outputs or is it all hardwired inside the thing?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I think it's a nice thing to have/collect. You can worry about anything & everything breaking, & if you thought that way why collect retro gear at all. Who knows, it could be a pretty sought after thing in years to come

For a long time it was the 360 and ps3 that were more likely to simply cease to be compared with the more hardy retro fare.
    The Megadrive and Snes seem to be quite robust.

Master of the Universe

DinoRex wrote: »
    Yes. But generally if something breaks you don't want it rendering something else completely useless at the same time.

You don't want to be in a position where you have to throw out a console just because your TV is broken. Does the PS2 have it's own outputs or is it all hardwired inside the thing?

Ah yeah, I do know what you mean.

I think these units kind of transcend their individual parts though. It's an interesting item as a whole. As two separate items it's just a PS2 (which you can replace for dirt cheap) and a 22 inch LCD (which could also be replaced for dirt cheap)

What'll probably happen is the laser will go in the ps2. But you should be able to combat that by modding it with a network adapter/HDD :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

was cleaning and organising my room and found this old childhood toy of mine , of course accessories are missing and not even sure if it still works , have no aaa batteries to test it out :L

DSC00327.jpg

DSC00326.jpg

was cleaning and organising my room and found this old childhood toy of mine , of course accessories are missing and not even sure if it still works , have no aaa batteries to test it out :L

DSC00327.jpg

DSC00326.jpg

Oh, isn't that O1s1ns type of thing?
    Nice figurine

Master of the Universe

Jaysus, that is one battered Arnie, poor guy. And still, he cannot cry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

he had no chance with 3 year old me with a marker :L

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,756 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

There's a very funny reference to that scene in the absolutely superb Rayman Legends. Such a game!

Master of the Universe

Feck sake lads, spoiler alerts. Just ruined the film for me :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

20+ years old and it's a movie everyone has seen? That's like being disappointed in finding out that Vader is Luke's father before seeing the movie. For that...let's spoil it some more.

T1000exploded.gif
    T1000death.gif
    Terminator-Thumbs-Up-as-he-Melts.gif

20+ years old and it's a movie everyone has seen? That's like being disappointed in finding out that Vader is Luke's father before seeing the movie. For that...let's spoil it some more

Someone's sarcasm detector seems on the blink :P

Myrddin wrote: »
    Someone's sarcasm detector seems on the blink :P
    I had a hunch. But I wanted to post it anyway. If I thought he was being serious, I wouldn't have posted those gifs.

I had a hunch. But I wanted to post it anyway. If I thought he was being serious, I wouldn't have posted those gifs.

o1s1n is a terminator

Myrddin wrote: »
    o1s1n is a terminator
    That means Skynet is online. GET HIM!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,756 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Terminator as a franchise just got better as it went along. Rise of the Machines was a clear improvement that smoothed out the rough edges of the first two films. Mostow is many times the action director Cameron was. Salvation, meanwhile, was a masterpiece of thematically deep, conceptually devastating and incredibly relevant & articulate speculative fiction. McG: cinema's most criminally under appreciated auteur.
    Just in case anyone's sarcasm detectors need calibrating

Terminator as a franchise just got better as it went along. Rise of the Machines was a clear improvement that smoothed out the rough edges of the first two films. Mostow is many times the action director Cameron was. Salvation, meanwhile, was a masterpiece of thematically deep, conceptually devastating and incredibly relevant & articulative speculative fiction. McG: cinema's most criminally under appreciated auteur.
    Don't worry. It clicked back in once you mentioned Rise of the Machines.

You want a real deep McG movie? Watch This Means War.

I don't know, Charlies Angels had a strong dose of Murray, then again so did the Garfield movies.
    Oh no, I've gone cross eyed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Terminator as a franchise just got better as it went along. Rise of the Machines was a clear improvement that smoothed out the rough edges of the first two films. Mostow is many times the action director Cameron was. Salvation, meanwhile, was a masterpiece of thematically deep, conceptually devastating and incredibly relevant & articulate speculative fiction. McG: cinema's most criminally under appreciated auteur.

science-sarcasm-Professor-Frink-Comic-Book-Guy-631.jpg

• Advertisement

The Terminator TV series was great. It's the only thing other than the original movie that I really like.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement