Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arcade and Retro General Chat in Karkariko Village Tavern: Live Ocarina Music

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

It wasn't bad plus Summer Glau was class, as was the frankly scary lass from Garbage.
    The final episode was so so good, and didn't deserve to be the last episode.
    [sarcasm] Sgt Candy should be in any future movies in the franchise! [/sarcasm]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

Dual destinies on 2nd playthrough is amazing.Such a great storyline and plot.

Sooner the better we get the new dlc case hurry up capcom

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    It wasn't bad plus Summer Glau was class, as was the frankly scary lass from Garbage.
    The final episode was so so good, and didn't deserve to be the last episode.
    [sarcasm] Sgt Candy should be in any future movies in the franchise! [/sarcasm]

Ah Beastwizard was the best terminator:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Sparks43 wrote: »
    Dual destinies on 2nd playthrough is amazing.Such a great storyline and plot.

Sooner the better we get the new dlc case hurry up capcom
    The time line is kinda confusing though, I'm only started the 4th case.
    Does the 2nd case even relate to anything? seems out of place atm what with episode 1, 3 and 4 being related.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

2nd case is related as you will see later.

Not spoiling anything :D

2nd best AA game imo just behind Trials and tribulations

• Advertisement

Sparks43 wrote: »
    2nd case is related as you will see later.

2nd best AA game imo just behind Trials and tribulations
    Great! It's like a sore thumb atm and it's really annoying me.
    I had a feeling, as good as it is, couldn't pass Trails and Tribs, that game is just so amazing, so much <3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,270 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Myrddin wrote: »
    o1s1n is a terminator

The only reason I have those arcade machines and listen to Guns N' Roses is to lure John Connor into my house.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

o1s1n wrote: »
    The only reason I have those arcade machines and listen to Guns N' Roses is to lure John Connor into my house.
    So he grew out of this?

free+candy+van.jpeg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,756 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Still sometimes get the fear when Terminator is mentioned as I fill with dread at the thought of T2 on the megadrive. Being forced to collect those arbitrary, unexplained 'future objects' before finishing a level - several of which are identikit, randomised mazes - might be among the stupidest design decision I've ever encountered.

And them bike levels!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

God no, C64 Terminator 2 is where it's at. Slow clunky fight for the 1st level, a cheap bike level next, & then some kind of sliding square puzzle thing next to diffuse a bomb or something {from memory, I may be wrong}. Painful stuff

• Advertisement

Just put on RoboCop vs. The Terminator and let all those problems slide by.

Master of the Universe

God no, C64 Terminator 2 is where it's at. Slow clunky fight for the 1st level, a cheap bike level next, & then some kind of sliding square puzzle thing next to diffuse a bomb or something {from memory, I may be wrong}. Painful stuff

I came across the Amiga version of that recently enough via WHDLoad. It's exactly the same game, level by level, just with nicer visuals :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

But what of the over promoted horror of Terminator on the Megadrive.
    There pages and pages dedicated to it ahead of it's launch, in all the gaming magazines of the day.
    Then it turned out to be pants, way way too short for one.
    I think I finished it in one sitting after being foolish enough to buy it on release.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

that one was almost like an Amiga Game, ported over to Sega at the last second, very reminiscent of the equally short Gremlins 2

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,892 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

So was looking enviously at comments on Facebook for a NY based retro game shop. They get in some much better stuff than we get here.

Anyway someone in the comments was saying you can get a X68000 to boot and play games from flash memory. Anyone know anything about this? I really want one if so!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭STG.Otaku

Limited edition Darius Odyssey book set for release Nov 15. Apparently sold out nearly everywhere so get your orders in quick. :)

It appears to be an expanded version of the Darius Odyssey book that shipped with the extremely limited edition Darius Burst DX set a while ago and now features Darius Burst AC EX.

Official Site

main_24021_500x500.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭STG.Otaku

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    you can get a X68000 to boot and play games from flash memory. Anyone know anything about this? I really want one if so!

Yes you can. You replace the HDD in an X68000 with a CF board set. Not cheap to do and the parts I believe are hard to come by. You can also replace the CPU and upgrade memory but again, parts are hard to come by to do it and fitting the CF solution isn't the easiest of jobs.

There's a few tutorials about though which may help but good luck sourcing some of the expansion boards, they are certainly not commonly found, or cheap when you do find them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

Ocean really had those movie tie-in games down to a formula. The formula very rarely produced anything good. Exceptions would be Batman The Movie and The Untouchables.

Batman the Movie was particularly good on the Amiga, Batwing and Batmobile levels were awesome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

I remember playing T2 on Gameboy as a kid. It also featured an early bike level and a bomb defusing level. At the time, I just couldn't understand why a videogame only gave you one life instead of three.

I loved T2- Arcade though.

Master of the Universe

STG.Otaku wrote: »
    Yes you can. You replace the HDD in an X68000 with a CF board set. Not cheap to do and the parts I believe are hard to come by. You can also replace the CPU and upgrade memory but again, parts are hard to come by to do it and fitting the CF solution isn't the easiest of jobs.

There's a few tutorials about though which may help but good luck sourcing some of the expansion boards, they are certainly not commonly found, or cheap when you do find them.

As much as I wanted to get an x68000, the Japanese interface, known to fail parts and extreme scarceness of replacement parts seriously put me off.

I think I mainly just wanted one because they look so damn cool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Almost as pointless as that numpty Chuck Norris, only reason folk think he's hard is because of his wooden acting.
    Love watching Bruce Lee kick Norris's ass.
    DinoRex wrote: »
    Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters is pretty good fun too, which was unexpected. It's a lot of fun in an Army of Darkness type of way.
    Been itching to see this for some time now, I thought it looked great, in that cheesy, fun way.

Picked up Fighting Force on PS1. I remember loving it way back when, even though I kinda knew it was sh1te. I can't wait to dig into it during the week. I'd imagine it plays absolutely awful now, so I'll have a blast.

I do love a bad game.

The Bouncer on the PS2, makes Streets of Rage look like high art, it's utter sh1te.

The Bouncer on the PS2, makes Streets of Rage look like high art, it's utter sh1te.

I've never actually heard of that one. I must investigate.

As if Streets of Rage isn't already high art?

Just youtubed The Bouncer there. You'd think a game with a title like that would have a less girly looking lead man.

Master of the Universe

Die Hard Arcade - if they'd stuck with branding that as Streets of Rage III I'm fairly sure Sega would still be making consoles today :pac:

deathrider wrote: »
    Picked up Fighting Force on PS1. I remember loving it way back when, even though I kinda knew it was sh1te. I can't wait to dig into it during the week. I'd imagine it plays absolutely awful now, so I'll have a blast.

I do love a bad game.
    I used to think it was fun, I was young though, haven't played it since afaik but would love to have a go again of it

Master of the Universe

Even when Fighting Force came out, I remember my mate and myself thinking 'this doesn't really translate very well into 3D, does it?'

It's a good example of early 3D games trying to use something that works in 2D and failing...

However! As I said above, Die hard Arcade (AKA Dynamite Deka) just does so much right. I'm not sure if it's accidental or what.

• Advertisement

Ah, fecking Guncon 2 isn't liking my CRT, not sure if it's an RGB thing or not, but it's kinda seeing the centre of the screen but not the further points and so my lovely light gun collection isn't playing right.
    I have another one somewhere, will try that and report!

Sera wrote: »
    I used to think it was fun, I was young though, haven't played it since afaik but would love to have a go again of it

I had a lot of fun with it when I was young, but it's gonna be fairly pants now.

Ah, Die Hard Arcade. There's a game I wish I'd played more of.

Master of the Universe

Ah, fecking Guncon 2 isn't liking my CRT, not sure if it's an RGB thing or not, but it's kinda seeing the centre of the screen but not the further points and so my lovely light gun collection isn't playing right.
    I have another one somewhere, will try that and report!

Could just be the initial calibration when you turn the game on.

What distance are you sitting away from it?

Have you tried it with the lights off?

You've the same Trinitron as me, right? Lightguns should work grand :)

Hmm, I have had lots of Lightgun problems with the tv, might be the light above it, can that interfere?
    Will experiment an report back!
    On another note of difficulty the japanese in the game is making game selection difficult, to the point that I have found the high score tables and little else!

Master of the Universe

Definitely. Basically the gun detects light coming from the screen. The targets are black, so there's no light coming from those sections.

If you've a light above the screen it could interfere with it alright as the gun can't detect the targets properly.

Looks like I had to both turn down the lights to near making out levels and also stand rather close to the screen, the combination of both has led to some good Point Blank/Time Crisis fun, not sure why I bought this game, given I have them all on the PS already, I guess it's just kinda nice....
    Namco also have a PS classics collection call NamCollection, with Ace Combat 2, Tekken, Ridge Racer, Mr Driller and Klonoa, a nice collection but, again, I already have them all, barring Mr Driller on the PS.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,892 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Strange that everyone is talking about Fighting Force and Streets of Rage. It was revealed in a recent issue of Retrogamer that Fighting Force was developed by Core Design as a Streets of Rage game but when they told Sega that they wanted to release it on PS1 as well as Saturn Sega told them they couldn't use the name. Think it never made it to Saturn in the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

This looks really really nice!

http://kck.st/1dWYbtX

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Cheers. Missed their Sensible Software book so ordered that, looks excellent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Think I'll pledge to that book actually after pay day. Looks really nice!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Yeah have to get myself a copy of that aswell

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Damn you man! I'm broke but there's no way I can pass that up. Looks lovely.

Edit - pledged. I'm not really that into books but there's just something about these kickstarter ones that scream 'buy me!'

think they put in the £60 option just for Steve

I think I'll pledge too once I get paid!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,063 ✭✭✭Doge

20+ years old and it's a movie everyone has seen? That's like being disappointed in finding out that Vader is Luke's father before seeing the movie. For that...let's spoil it some more.

T1000exploded.gif
    T1000death.gif
    Terminator-Thumbs-Up-as-he-Melts.gif

Oisín has been there and worn the t-shirt!

Or in his case, bought the original T-Shirt prop used in Terminator 1! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

I think I'll pledge too once I get paid!

Fair play, never thought I would see the day. Here's the link you're after ;)
    http://www.pioneerassociation.ie/

01654095cf3f46f083c615289513be79.0.jpg

1983490.jpg

Monkeykube wrote: »
    Fair play, never thought I would see the day. Here's the link you're after ;)
    http://www.pioneerassociation.ie/

No, I think you mean

http://www.booze.ie/

I actually haven't touched a drop in over a month. Not sure I'm too happy about it either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I actually haven't touched a drop in over a month. Not sure I'm too happy about it either.

i+m+sorry.+have+some+Father+_cf93a0f4415c9c3bbe1db91e122ebede.gif

I gave Fighting Force a spin today and my predictions were right on the money- The game's terrible but I still managed to have loads of fun with it.

1983490.jpg
    made me laugh so much, that episode was only on like either yesterday or the day before.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement