Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arcade and Retro General Chat in Karkariko Village Tavern: Live Ocarina Music

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭MrVestek

o1s1n wrote: »
    Cheers man :)

It was a micro type USB cable but one of those oddly shaped ones you tend to see less often than the rest. Was squarer than most.

Will see if I can dig the card out when I get home and check.

I think I know the type you mean... used to have an old digital camera that had a cable like that.

If you could get a picture of the slot then I'll check to see if I have something suitable.

In other news some scumbag stole my Samsung Galaxy S4 on O'Connell St last night straight out of my fecking hand.

Anybody wanna buy me a new phone for Christmas? :-/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Achilles wrote: »
    In other news some scumbag stole my Samsung Galaxy S4 on O'Connell St last night straight out of my fecking hand.

Anybody wanna buy me a new phone for Christmas? :-/

Ffs, was it a grab & run snatch or a mugging thing?

Myrddin wrote: »
    Ffs, was it a grab & run snatch or a mugging thing?

Grab and run snatch. The most annoying thing about it actually is the fact that I had just taken a bunch of pictures at the Xbox One launch even and had filmed video of some of the games.

Was gonna put together a nice YouTube video about it all.

Ahh well... It was a prize in a competition so at least it didn't cost me any money but it's still a pain in the arse.

I had a Google Nexus 4 before that so I think I'll just grab a second hand one off of Adverts again.

Bit of a pisser though, at least I have the work phone to tide me over.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Did you set it up so you can lock the phone up on the b@stard?

Regarding a gameboy everdrive, it seems pointless, due to the aforementioned flash carts out there.
    I have one for the GBA and it's great, although it's game selection has remained static for some years now, but it is cool to have NES games and GB/C games running on the Micro.
    Next we'll have some enterprising youngster rebadging a whole load of R4 cards as Everdrive: DS edition!

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Did you set it up so you can lock the phone up on the b@stard?
    He turned it off pretty quickly, although I think I did manage to put a lock request through Android Services. Not sure if it was successful though.

The phone itself has a pattern lock anyway which I doubt he'll guess and the phone won't open it's data partition until it's unlocked so at least there's that.

I sent a signal through Android Services for the phone to remotely wipe itself the next time it connects to the net and I'll be calling Meteor later on to have the IMEI blocked.

Gonna make it very difficult for him to sell it on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Achilles wrote: »
    Grab and run snatch.
    What a ****! Sorry to hear that happened. I had it happen to myself but it wasn't a phone and they strolled off.
    Treat yourself to a new one with Christmas coming up, you might get lucky get a good deal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,271 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Feck sake man, that's awful. Sorry to hear it :(

Shame there isn't an app which lets you blow your phone up remotely. I know you'd lose your phone, but it would at least be some consolation to hear the thief's screams in the distance!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Not really a lot to the PS4 when you actually tear it down.

Y1cIvgG3uIhTQsYN.medium

I dunno, needs more nixie tubes and stuff :)

Master of the Universe

Even less when you consider most of that is taken up by a blue ray drive, a fan, HDD and power supply.

What's actually left?? Just looks to be that motherboard.

There's an idea o1s1n... come up with a rooted app that somehow overvolts the battery and makes it go on fire.

Think of the potential...

Will be buying myself a new one for Christmas but with saving for the wedding and all I doubt I'll be replacing it with another S4.

We'll see what comes up on Adverts though... you never know.

• Advertisement

Even less when you consider most of that is taken up by a blue ray drive, a fan, HDD and power supply.

What's actually left?? Just looks to be that motherboard.

Pretty much yeah. It's a very neat setup on the board, and I'm sure they will shrink it down even more after a few revisions over the next few years.

My first upgrade will be the hard disk on it. Not sure if I'll go for a 512GB SSD or a 1TB+ standard drive. Probably need the hard disk space more than the speed though.

Yeah it looks very neat inside, which is a good thing I think given this generation strack record with reliability. Keep it simple!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

Well... This looks familiar:

Z4cDSDxl.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Didn
    DinoRex wrote: »

Z4cDSDxl.jpg

Didn't Nathan Drake murder a whole lot of people around there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

Oh. you haven't made it to Lost Izalith yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,063 ✭✭✭Doge

This is the only teardown of the Xbox One I can find,
    it was posted by Wired back in May so its a development model:

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2013/05/xbox-one-development-photos/

bbNWHFy.jpg

Look at the size of that Damn fan! I guess its better than not having adequate cooling like the early 360s, but surely it will be more noisey than the PS4.

20130514-XBOX-ONE-TEARDOWN-015-660x440.jpg

No PSU in the motherboard so it looks like its people are stuck with a Power Brick.

Edit: Just found pics of the power brick now:

ku-medium.jpg

ku-xlarge.jpg

What I think is hilarious is that even though the Xbox One has an EXTERNAL PSU,

Microsoft still managed to make it about 1/4 BIGGER than the PS4! :pac:

MS engineering at its best! :P

ps4x1.jpg

What do people think of the aesthetics of the new consoles?

I think they look much uglier than their previous generation,
    I think the ps4 is the uglier of the 2.

I'm not gone on the 2 tier design at all:

ps4x3.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭STG.Otaku

It looks like a wonky X68000. Therefore, I am in love with the PS4.

I actually like the look of the PS4. Pity it needs modding right away to get rid of the wobble on the left hand side. Again, some perfectly shaped Sugru to the rescue.
    The wobble isn't a big deal and you have to press down to get it, but it would annoy me and its really stupid that they didn't fix it before release.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

PS4 looks lovely imo. Xbox looks like an old Sky box in black, very plain, size of thing too.

Master of the Universe

STG.Otaku wrote: »
    It looks like a wonky X68000. Therefore, I am in love with the PS4.

Yeah, I really couldn't believe how similar it was when I first saw the ps4. Looks gorgeous.

My finest Photoshop work :D

qhmq.jpg

Master of the Universe

Actually you know what, that model X68000 looks quite like a ps2 after you stuck the Sony logo on the top like that!

Here's the one the PS4 looks like.

ps4x68000.jpg

The PS4 looks like it wants to take Dave Bowman on a little ride!

Actually you know what, that model X68000 looks quite like a ps2 after you stuck the Sony logo on the top like that!

Here's the one the PS4 looks like.

Ah yes the XVI.
    09lm.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

Just back from the Xbox One gig. I've gotta say, I had a lot if fun at it. I did not, however, have my mind blown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭STG.Otaku

deathrider wrote: »
    Just back from the Xbox One gig. I've gotta say, I had a lot if fun at it. I did not, however, have my mind blown.

....just interrogated and recorded by the NSA. :p

deathrider wrote: »

Sounds like the experience I had last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭unky chop chop

I went for an hour..I wasn't expecting to be blown away and I was right.
    Most of the space was dedicated to FPS.Massive banks of machines with COD and Battlefield 4..who gives a sh1t..mmmm most of the public by the looks of it.
    I did get to play Dead rising 3 and crimson dragon.
    Crimson dragon was every thing I hoped for, the next chapter in the Panzer dagoon Series.The gameplay,the scoring system and that unique art style are present and accounted for.Can't wait!!
    The graphics are great but it looks like they just wrapped everything in clingfilm to bring it to next gen level.I hate that effect.

Hats of to dead rising as well...the sense of urgency in the gameplay is second to none.hundreds of zombies on screen at a time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

is it true that the PS4s mandatory install of games eats up the hard drive?

• Advertisement

is it true that the PS4s mandatory install of games eats up the hard drive?

Some fairly large installs for sure. Bold ones will really fill up that hdd.

Angry Birds Star Wars: 1.5Gb
    AC4 Black Flag Gold Edition: 21.2GB
    AC4 Black Flag: 21.2GB
    Battlefield 4: 33.9GB

Black Light Retribution: 4.9GB
    Call of Duty: Ghosts: 31.1GB
    Call of Duty: Ghosts Digital Hardened Edition: 31.3GB
    Contrast: 2.3GB
    DC Universe Online: 22.7GB
    DC Universe Online Ultimate Edition: 22.7GB
    FIFA 14: 9GB
    Flower: 1.8GB
    Injustice: Gods Among Us: 22GB
    Just Dance: 22GB
    Killzone Shadow Fall: 38.5GB
    Knack: 35.6GB
    LEGO Marvel Super H
    eroes: 6.4GB
    Madden NFL 25 : 13.1GB
    NBA 2K14: 41.8GB
    Resogun: 460.8MB
    Sound Shapes: 3.4GB
    Super Motherlode: 393.6MB
    Trine 2: Complete Story: 2.6GB
    Warframe: 4.2GB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭unky chop chop

yep, installs are about 20-30GB,although it make no difference as you swap HDD's in the ps4,same as PS3
    XB1 you are stuck with a 500GB HDD which will last p1ssing time as you can imagine, but it does support external storage...PS4 does not at the moment

yep, installs are about 20-30GB,although it make no difference as you swap HDD's in the ps4,same as PS3
    XB1 you are stuck with a 500GB HDD which will last p1ssing time as you can imagine, but it does support external storage...PS4 does not at the moment

I think I read that the Xbox one will not initially allow External Storage for games at launch, but it will after a while.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,756 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

PS4 allows internal HDD upgrades, though, which TBH is more than likely cheaper, faster and more reliable than the external alternative (although naturally more awkward if you're going to upgrade regularly / are looking for TBs of storage). Cut out the 'cheaper' bit if you can afford SSDs! Either way, neither console will leave you stuck when you fill up the default 500GB*

Games are only ever going to get bigger - heck, some iPhone games top 2 GB now (looking at you, Infinity Blade). The storage companies of the world are probably cackling with glee.

*closer to 400GB with the OS and default apps - there really should be a rule against this :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,893 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

waveform wrote: »
    Look at the size of that Damn fan! I guess its better than not having adequate cooling like the early 360s, but surely it will be more noisey than the PS4.

Bigger fans create far less noise, thank god.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

waveform wrote: »
    I think I read that the Xbox one will not initially allow External Storage for games at launch, but it will after a while.

It seems that everything the Xbox One has in mind seems to only come into effect "after a while".

Pre-order your next gen Xbox now! You'll enjoy it... After a while.

I went for an hour..I wasn't expecting to be blown away and I was right.
    Most of the space was dedicated to FPS.Massive banks of machines with COD and Battlefield 4..who gives a sh1t..mmmm most of the public by the looks of it.
    I did get to play Dead rising 3 and crimson dragon.
    Crimson dragon was every thing I hoped for, the next chapter in the Panzer dagoon Series.The gameplay,the scoring system and that unique art style are present and accounted for.Can't wait!!
    The graphics are great but it looks like they just wrapped everything in clingfilm to bring it to next gen level.I hate that effect.

Hats of to dead rising as well...the sense of urgency in the gameplay is second to none.hundreds of zombies on screen at a time.

Did the play down the big tv features that they focused so much on during the reveal? Those features don't play a part of the console over this side of the pond yet correct?

Myrddin wrote: »
    Did the play down the big tv features that they focused so much on during the reveal? Those features don't play a part of the console over this side of the pond yet correct?

They didn't allow us to access the UI at all.

I pressed the Xbox button a few times just to check out the UI and I was given out to both times. Myself and my mate did manage to crash the Xbox when playing Killer Instinct though!

The Xbox did mention XDK all over the place though so they definately weren't the final hardware revisions I wouldn't say but rather the dev boxes.

The talk of Dead Rising 3 reminds me of playing the original Dead Rising on an SD tv, couldn't read the HD optimised text!
    Maybe next year there'll be a TB or 5 hdd version of each console.
    But the space requirements, even on games like Angry Birds, a gig and a half? For what? Sounds like poorly optimised code tbh.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,893 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The talk of Dead Rising 3 reminds me of playing the original Dead Rising on an SD tv, couldn't read the HD optimised text!

I remember everyone moaning about that as if Capcom made the text totally unreadable on a SDTV. It was grand for me. I feel no pity for the plebs that weren't using RGB Scart on their TV :P

• Advertisement

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I remember everyone moaning about that as if Capcom made the text totally unreadable on a SDTV. It was grand for me. I feel no pity for the plebs that weren't using RGB Scart on their TV :P

Capcom also refused to patch it at the time, remember, while HDtv sets are fairly ubiquitous now, in 2005 they were a little thinner on the ground.
    In fact, for most, the 360 was the first HD source they owned, so why would they have a HD set?

Master of the Universe

Capcom also refused to patch it at the time, remember, while HDtv sets are fairly ubiquitous now, in 2005 they were a little thinner on the ground.
    In fact, for most, the 360 was the first HD source they owned, so why would they have a HD set?

But the issue wasnt HD/SD, it was silly fools using composite rather than rgb :D

Nope, the text was ridiculous, and the majority of 360 owners were using the console with the cables provided, which were composite, so pardon my sausage vicar, but Dead Rising was almost unplayable as a result, not to mention that fecking clown!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

I bought an official RGB cable for the 360 when I bought it (same as when I bought the cube etc) and I have to agree with Ciderman, the text was still fecking silly small on any tv other than a HD set RGB or not.

Composite was shocking bad though, thats true.

Hmmm,

just saw an ebay advert on TV saying upto 60% off Brands this weekend.

So i went to the super weekend page:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/rpp/retail/SuperWeekend

If you scroll down there's a seller called "e cell" selling the iPad Air 16GB Wifi only model for £359.99 instead of the usual £399.99.

Looks quite doge, but would ebay really link to something doge on their sale page?

such temptation. much risk. wow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

DinoRex wrote: »

Z4cDSDxl.jpg

I want to say it's from Raiders of The Lost Ark, but probably way off

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

actually speaking of dead rising has me remembering some awesome times. It is one of the few times myself and a friend sat up an entire night and a full day eating terrible food and drinking beers beating a game in one sitting. We actually beat it in one playthrough and didn't know how the whole save system worked. It was epic.
    Condemned was another one, it glitched out on the boss fight and wouldn't let us pick up any weapons. We got save stuck being able to do nothing but move and do that 'kick to open doors' move. We actually beat the final boss with nothing but boots and dodging, that was amazing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

I always really liked that condemned game...second ones story went a bit mental but was still alright

Nice little happy meal toys in Japan this month and next.

screen-shot-2013-11-16-at-9-53-04-am.png
    screen-shot-2013-11-16-at-9-53-26-am.png
    screen-shot-2013-11-16-at-9-53-37-am.png

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Steve SI wrote: »
    Nice little happy meal toys in Japan this month and next.

screen-shot-2013-11-16-at-9-53-04-am.png
    screen-shot-2013-11-16-at-9-53-26-am.png
    screen-shot-2013-11-16-at-9-53-37-am.png

Is that a bowl of corn?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement