Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arcade and Retro General Chat in Karkariko Village Tavern: Live Ocarina Music

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Steve X2

keithgeo wrote: »
    Is that a bowl of corn?

Yeah, you can get it instead of fries or as an extra in McDonalds Japan I think.
    I've only been in one in Japan maybe once or twice so I could be wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭STG.Otaku

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    WANT!

YES

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,271 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Feckin hell, with all the books popping up lately for sale I'm going to have to buy a bookcase :D

After seeing that lovely Segagaga box set for sale over in the sales forum, I thought I'd check up on the translation as a matter of interesting. Last time I looked, there hadn't been an update on the blog in a couple of years. Was sure it was dead :(

Looks like it's still alive though! There was an update in September

http://www.adilegian.com/Segagaga/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

o1s1n wrote: »
    Feckin hell, with all the books popping up lately for sale I'm going to have to buy a bookcase :D

After seeing that lovely Segagaga box set for sale over in the sales forum, I thought I'd check up on the translation as a matter of interesting. Last time I looked, there hadn't been an update on the blog in a couple of years. Was sure it was dead :(

Looks like it's still alive though! There was an update in September

http://www.adilegian.com/Segagaga/

Goodness, if only we had a dedicated Sega forum, with a fanboi at the helm.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

I'm not really in to custom paints on consoles but I do like this a lot.530345_10152353244293294_1451793023_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

Rare to see someone actually doing it properly. Thats really well done :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,063 ✭✭✭Doge

Worth watching the bit at the end.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,893 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Just beat Halo 4 there. Quite disappointing. It was a technical marvel but a big step back from Halo 3 and Reach. It felt more like a corridor shooter and didn't have the same big open battlefields that makes the series unique. Would hate to see it turn into a Killzone clone.

Also the story was absolute nonsense.

• Advertisement

Oh, I quite liked the forerunner designs, and the weapons were nice.
    Yes, you were basically fighting from one end of a canyon/bridge most of the time, but they were, at least nice looking ones.
    Reach was a better game though, it's characters at least lent it a certain Band of Brothers shtick and it was a blast and, while I know you didnt like ODST, at least it was a bold experiment in the Halo universe to try something different.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,893 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I thought the worst thing about Reach was the story and characters, it was so cliche. 'Noble team' because they all die noble deaths. How poignant.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I thought the worst thing about Reach was the story and characters, it was so cliche. 'Noble team' because they all die noble deaths. How poignant.

Hmm, Retr0 a cynic, who would have thought it... oh wait, everyone!

I'm not sure when or if I'll be in a position to play Halo5 though, pity that, it'll be the first of the series I haven't b bought when released.
    If I pick up the Xbox One next year the 360 will be consigned upstairs and, lets face it, it's going to get a lot less play, but there's a tin of fans to be finished there.
    Might have a line on a hd display though, just have to consider where to put it, not an awful lot of source to mount a 42" tv up there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

Halo 2 is the only one I enjoyed. Have yet to try 4 though.

Master of the Universe

I really enjoyed the Halo 'Silent Cartographer' demo when it came out on the PC originally - had such high hopes for the game. It was shaping up to be great.

As it turns out, it would be my highlight of the game - and the whole series!

Started Halo 4, was bored after an hour.

Always found it very hard to see the appeal of the Halo games. There was some fun to be had in co-op and the music was great, but that's about it for me.

At the same time as Halo 1 you had Metroid Prime on the GameCube, a vastly more engaging experience.

I enjoyed the first game up until the flood arrived. The second one for me felt rushed and the amount of flood levels ruined it. I actually quite liked 3 apart from the final god awful flood level. Reach was an excellent game, apart from the daft story it had some great set pieces.

Actually had forgotten about Reach.

I do actually remember enjoying that one, but then it snowed out side and I got distracted by building a snowman and forgot to go back to Reach. So while it was good, it wasn't as good as freshly fallen snow.

I have to give the series some props for its dedication to 4 player split screen, something we see far too little of in this day and age.

Master of the Universe

Oh PLEASE let there be an eventual cart release of this!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Is that actually running on a NES emulator ?

Master of the Universe

Yeah, it even runs on real hardware if you have a flash cart apparently :)

It was originally a dodgy Chinese hack that some lad is currently fixing up to make more like the real game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

It was originally a dodgy Chinese hack that some lad is currently fixing up to make more like the real game.

Impressive. If it runs on real hardware expect decent looking repro carts to be available should you want one.

What a coincidence I was about to post here about the same thing. Apparently it's finished:

http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/1657/

Master of the Universe

Myrddin wrote: »
    Impressive. If it runs on real hardware expect decent looking repro carts to be available should you want one.

Here's hoping! :)
    What a coincidence I was about to post here about the same thing. Apparently it's finished:

http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/1657/

That's a really odd coincidence alright as it's a piece of news on Retrocollect from the 13th of November which I was just catching up on.

Looks like the flying spaghetti monster subliminally directed me towards the page. :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,756 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Is it heresy* of me to suggest all these 'demakes' are a tad pointless? Just seems like an incredibly wasteful exercise to expend so much effort on what is ultimately little more than a novelty tech demo. Imagine these clearly talented coders spent their time making original, creative games rather than just trying to emulate others! It's the same every time gamers are given robust level creation tools and just spend their time remaking Mario levels. I just don't think I get the appeal: certainly something I'd never consider sitting down and playing.

*(yes, yes it is)

Master of the Universe

I really enjoy projects like this as I like seeing people taking older systems to their limits.

Sure, you can do this with new releases on old systems. However, when you have something to compare it against (Ie - the full version of FF VII in this case) then it's very interesting to see how the developer dealt with certain scenarios which wouldn't/shouldn't be possible on the limited 8 bit hardware.

Is it heresy* of me to suggest all these 'demakes' are a tad pointless? Just seems like an incredibly wasteful exercise to expend so much effort on what is ultimately little more than a novelty tech demo. Imagine these clearly talented coders spent their time making original, creative games rather than just trying to emulate others! It's the same every time gamers are given robust level creation tools and just spend their time remaking Mario levels. I just don't think I get the appeal: certainly something I'd never consider sitting down and playing.

*(yes, yes it is)

I'd agree with that to a point, for instance when you see demakes of Crysis & all manner of modern generic titles being redone for the NES, seems utterly pointless & a mere novelty. But I think there are titles out there, with big cult followings, where a careful & attentive demake can be a nice way to experience the game again. FFVII is a perfect example, where if done properly, is something that'd interest me.

I too would much rather if the fan translators of FFVII had turned their talents to better untranslated games rather than focus on a chinese hack job. Even have a go at translating FFVII which could be considered untranslated due to how bad the original translation was.

• Advertisement

I'm off to my new job in Sligo. Don't suppose there's any retro places to check out there??? :)

I'm off to my new job in Sligo. Don't suppose there's any retro places to check out there??? :)

Congrads on the job.

I'm fairly sure all of Sligo is retro...

Nice,
    would love to live there.
    the surfing is great all year round

I'm only there 3 days a week so not sure I'd have time for surfing. Maybe I'll invite so friends down some time and spend a weekend there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Congrats on the new job retr0!

Shligo beers?

Master of the Universe

That's great news on the job, congrats :)

Protip; Japanese schoolgirl uniform is not appropriate attire for your first day on the job.

Unless your job is dressing up as a Japanese schoolgirl.

• Advertisement

Aine Chambers, of sligozone.net fame, begs to differ:

K4jaLCE.jpg

I must get in contact with her!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

Does anyone know if anywhere in Ireland is making that Zelda chest available with the the new 3DS game? Or is that a UK only thing?

It's just a Game thing, isn't it?

Annoying as I really like the kitty cat Super Mario 3D World box as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

CEX just opened up in Waterford and I went down for a quick look today

Absolutely tons of games but all priced fairly high I thought, of PS3 and 360 games very few of the ones I looked at were under 30. Few PS2 games...good ones too, I'll have to take a proper look tomorrow.

had a look at the consoles, all i remember off hand is PS2 slims being 50 quid

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

the flipside is they give good tradein/cash values, and good place to get rid of shovelware.

Does anyone know if anywhere in Ireland is making that Zelda chest available with the the new 3DS game? Or is that a UK only thing?

Pretty sure you can pre order from game's uk website. I think JU did that for persona 4 arena LE.

Does anyone know if anywhere in Ireland is making that Zelda's chest available with the the new 3DS game? Or is that a UK only thing?

155px-Quagmire_by_iKapow.jpg

Pretty sure you can pre order from game's uk website. I think JU did that for persona 4 arena LE.

You can, DamoElDiablo go the ltd edition Windwaker & Statue bundle form them via Parcel Motel, they also accept RoI addresses too though it prob depends on the item. For the Windwaker & Statue bundle they do accept RoI addresses, so I assume they do for the LbW & Chest bundle

Regarding Sligo, I spent 3 years there during mynurse training and loved it. Its a real college town, meaning its a blast during the year and a ghost town in the summer.
    Best not mention my name, broke a few hearts.
    That said , they are all in their 40s now, so you're probably safe....
    It's an awful cold and wet kip though, and that's just in the summer!
    And one last thing, does this mean a secondary address out of Saurons steely gaze??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

CEX just opened up in Waterford and I went down for a quick look today

Absolutely tons of games but all priced fairly high I thought, of PS3 and 360 games very few of the ones I looked at were under 30. Few PS2 games...good ones too, I'll have to take a proper look tomorrow.

had a look at the consoles, all i remember off hand is PS2 slims being 50 quid
    I'm still hoping for the day that they actually open in a place near me. Just can't be bothered to go that far east...or south east.

think Limerick is as close as you're going to get.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

think Limerick is as close as you're going to get.
    Really? Where abouts in Limerick?

OTLA, discovered this today. Converts tape images into mp3/wave files so you load them in via mp3 player.
    Bit rate is also increased to doesn't take as long as with a physical tape. Spent a while earlier on playing stuff on the Amstrad, this will have to do until I get a Hxc for it.

Really? Where abouts in Limerick?

Cruises Street

3p5pjs.jpg

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement