Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arcade and Retro General Chat in Karkariko Village Tavern: Live Ocarina Music

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

It's more a list of 'Games I've enjoyed or vaguely remember enjoying (also I never owned a Nintendo console)'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,245 ✭✭✭MrVestek

o1s1n wrote: »
    I gave in to all common sense and clicked that link - all I can do is laugh.

Seems to be giving a 404 now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Achilles wrote: »
    Seems to be giving a 404 now?

Ah a 404, such a relief when you click a news tabloid link. I couldn't bring myself to even give them the traffic by clicking the link

Article now split across 3 pages, because 'f*ck you!'

http://www.irishtimes.com/culture/the-50-best-videogames-of-all-time-1.1610521

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,894 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The thread in the games forum got edited by the admins. Think it's a bit over the top, I don't feel me or Johnny Ultimate defamed him, just gave our opinion of him I can kind of see where they are coming from considering they have to be careful about these matters. As a person he's a really nice guy when I met him! There was a bit of a problem with him a while ago and a female journalist getting called out on boards that turned sour.

Also I called into Gamestop with my PS4 pre-order. Told them I didn't want it. I'm heading back later to pick up a WiiU with 4 games I actually want for the same price and made some kids Christmas as a bonus.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Another update to that Sega Megadrive collected works kickstarter, they've got approx 30 sketches of the boss characters from Wonderboy III. Pretty cool. :)

7EcnDhPl.jpg

Ywsu8gql.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Update for the Xmas beers, I now own a dance mat, and a ps to usb adapter, Dr Bob, consider yourself served with notice!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Update for the Xmas beers, I now own a dance mat, and a ps to usb adapter, Dr Bob, consider yourself served with notice!

What possible injuries could one receive from tumbling down a spiral staircase while attempting various dance moves in an attic, don't say you weren't warned.

On a side note I have it from a Adverts rep that the feedback system is being worked on and will be updated shortly, so fingers crossed until then.

http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057091875

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,894 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Any chance we can get the japanese DDR games? Euromix is a pile of ****, it has Boyzone ffs. DDR isn't DDR without True Love or Butterfly Upswing Mix. This is my jam:

Apparently Wii U karaoke has the Attack on Titan intro theme on it.

• Advertisement

Still not played my WiiU. The thing is still updating. Bah, dinner time now!

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Still not played my WiiU. The thing is still updating. Bah, dinner time now!

It was exactly 1 year ago when I got mine. Had such a hard time making it work with UPC broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

I made it through the entire Toy Show last year waiting on mine to update.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,756 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

ghostchant wrote: »
    I made it through the entire Toy Show last year waiting on mine to update.

It was clearly actively punishing you for watching the Late Late Toy Show :p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I'm "obtaining" DDR games for the night, not sure how it'll work as I believe a lot of the releases are add on packs.
    But we'll see how we get on.
    Now.... Where did I leave those CD-Rs.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

play Tomb Raider with the dance mat, it's great!

I managed to get a super good deal on Dishonoured in the steam sale, it was 92% with all DLC and was just €3.19. Must have been a mistake as it's gone up in price now.

How are people finding 3D World? Having heaps of fun with it.

I have to wait until Jebusday, as it's part of my Santy pressie :(
    Sadly I won't get a look in as Zelda WW HD is arriving on the same day, according to the elves anyways.

On a brighter note,
    Which should I DL from the 3DS eshop, Space Harrier or Super Hangon?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

On a brighter note,
    Which should I DL from the 3DS eshop, Space Harrier or Super Hangon?

Absolute no contest, Space Harrier

• Advertisement

Are these conversions of the arcade games or Megadrive ports?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

Are these conversions of the arcade games or Megadrive ports?
    From the looks of it, the arcade version. Which is a shame for Super Hang-On, because the Mega Drive version had that career mode.

Also, I finally watched Man of Steel...I am not impressed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

man of steel sucked

man of steel sucked

Well you know what they say about opinions...

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Well you know what they say about opinions...

They're like a$$holes, sometimes people air them in public when they should, oh wait, hold on.....

On a brighter note, just "tested", if that is what a 42 year old man lurching from arrow to arrow may be called, the DDR games I "obtained", so I have DDR's USA Mix, Konamix and a Disney Rave thing that's frankly slightly disturbing. Also, there's one called DDR Oh a Star.
    All quite mad.
    Any other I should be looking for?
    The PS will be put downstairs for the duration as I don't want Boardsies putting a hole in the ceiling!

man of steel sucked
    Actually, it had some moments, like young Kent in the classroom. It's only after the tornado scene that it starts to fall apart. In fact, it's probably the worst dramatic scene in the movie.

On a brighter note, just "tested", if that is what a 42 year old man lurching from arrow to arrow may be called, the DDR games I "obtained", so I have DDR's USA Mix, Konamix and a Disney Rave thing that's frankly slightly disturbing. Also, there's one called DDR Oh a Star.
    All quite mad.
    Any other I should be looking for?
    The PS will be put downstairs for the duration as I don't want Boardsies putting a hole in the ceiling!

Don't bother with anything but the japanese releases. Better soundtracks.

Well, I have a few and will work on the rest, I never see myself playing them, ever!
    Might buy a handheld DDR controller actually, so I can enjoy the music while clinging to the little dignity I have left

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭80s Synth Pop

Absolute no contest, Space Harrier

I'm sure you folks have read this great article from the Space Harrier devs http://blogs.sega.com/2013/11/25/sega-3d-classics-space-harrier-3d-interview-with-developer-m2/

Well, I have a few and will work on the rest, I never see myself playing them, ever!
    Might buy a handheld DDR controller actually, so I can enjoy the music while clinging to the little dignity I have left

The ios port works really well.

I think I have enough of these infernal things now, enough DDR to last a lifetime!
    Anyone have another dance mat?
    Twice the mat, double the shame!

Actually, it had some moments, like young Kent in the classroom. It's only after the tornado scene that it starts to fall apart. In fact, it's probably the worst dramatic scene in the movie.

There was no moments in the film I found anything worthy taken out of in a superman movie

I do not go into a superman movie seeing destruction. the movie was also all over the place.

What's the general consensus about the Vita around here among those that have one? Some decent games out for it at this stage, shmups or otherwise? The Darius game that was released on PSP, is that available/compatible with the Vita? Are there decent free games released for it if you have that PSN+ sub?

I spotted Gamestop & Xtravision have a Vita bundle for €200. 16GB card, a game and then some game pack on a card or something. Had me interested for a minute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,271 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I think your money would be better spent on a 3DSXL ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

What's the general consensus about the Vita around here among those that have one? Some decent games out for it at this stage, shmups or otherwise? The Darius game that was released on PSP, is that available/compatible with the Vita? Are there decent free games released for it if you have that PSN+ sub?

I spotted Gamestop & Xtravision have a Vita bundle for €200. 16GB card, a game and then some game pack on a card or something. Had me interested for a minute.

In conjunction with a PS3 & a PS+ sub, I think there's definite merit in having one. Even more so now with PS4 remote play if that floats your boat. One thing though, if you join PS+ now, the games given out previously will not be free to you, games are only free from when you sub onwards. They change monthly though, & there's some decent games worth playing on it. I think some of the retail games are stupidly overprices {€50 etc}, so it really only makes sense with PS+. I got mine for €150 from Xtra Vision a while back.
    o1s1n wrote: »
    I think your money would be better spent on a 3DSXL ;)

In all honesty, this. A 3DS XL makes a lot more sense

Ok thanks anyway, was kind of hoping there were some compelling titles for it by now. Was just reading up on the redesign, screen not as good but better unit overall, not very convincing.

Not really feeling much love for Ninty these days tbh. Maybe when the kids are older I'll give them another look.

vita is a great system especially when you have that back catalogue of psp games and ps1 games beautifully displayed on the vita screen

also vita has some amazing titles

Gravity Rush
    Persona 4
    ys coming this year i think or next
    soul sacrifice
    uncharted golden abyss
    little big planet
    tearaway

to name a few

you cant go wrong owning the system

its a worthy device

With all due respect I rely don't think either Uncharted or LBP are amazing games in any regard, I found the entirely derivative and ultimately limited.
    But there remains lots worthy of your time on the machine.
    Most are courtesy of a PSN+ account as well.
    Hotline Miami is almost worth the price of admission alone.
    There's also some good deals there as well, picking one up for 2ds money should be possible, certainly via Adverts.

I love littlebigplanet, me and my friends had so much laughter and joy playing the games and not to forget that sackboy is just so adorable

the creativity in the community was astounding and very much how valve found some of their creative team media molcule found some very creative people who where ordinary people but had a knack at making great levels like the calculator which just blew people away at the time.

granted the physics were off but the amount of time the game made me smile and laugh I will never forget

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

If you're looking for a 3DS, Amazon currently have a regular 3DS with resident evil, tekken and castlevania for £129.99 as part of their Black Friday sale thing. Only 2 hours left to order. If you don't have a 3DS and don't want an XL, that's not a bad deal.

Don't get me wrong, I was very impressed by the original game but, as the level creation stuff wasn't my thing, the follow ups felt a little too similar.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,756 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I think Littlebigplanet gets an awfully tough time around here. Yes, the mechanics are floatier and more inexact than your average great platformer, but it's absolutely necessary to allow the developers and users do what they want to do - they need to be open to allow players to tinker around with the tools on offer. Even without the community offerings, some of the Media Molecule levels are brilliantly inventive, varied and fun. It's almost like a virtual Rube Goldberg machine, and just observing how the tools are used is just as satisfying as actually playing it.

Anyway, just turned on the PS4 for the first time. Resogun is beautiful chaos, but the most next-gen feeling is how fast the interface is. After the pitifully slow accessing of PSN Store on the PS3 (360 was no better), the new speedy access is revelatory!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,271 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Not really feeling much love for Ninty these days tbh. Maybe when the kids are older I'll give them another look.

I kind of do know what you mean. I've felt no compulsion to buy a WiiU and haven't really cared that much about Nintendo home consoles since the Snes.

However, their handhelds really are something else. The 3DS is turning out to be another DS as far as great content goes. Definitely not one to miss.

How Video Games Changed the World is on C4 right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

How Video Games Changed the World is on C4 right now.
    myself and Retro watching it here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,245 ✭✭✭MrVestek

It's good so far...

Sera wrote: »
    myself and Retro watching it here
    I should also mention Indie Game: The Movie plays immediately after the show.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Watching here too.. there's a distinct lack of scanlines!

keithgeo wrote: »
    Watching here too.. there's a distinct lack of scanlines!
    Probably in 50Hz too.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement