Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arcade and Retro General Chat in Karkariko Village Tavern: Live Ocarina Music

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

I should get a medal, went out tonight and only had 2 pints. So unforunately no Miley Cyrus appreciation posts for A&R tonight!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

I should get a medal, went out tonight and only had 2 pints. So unforunately no Miley Cyrus appreciation posts for A&R tonight!

awww hear ya go :L

What?! Who gave you that video of me not me?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭glass_onion

Apologies if this has been posted.Just giving an heads up.Another kickstarter project is on the horizon.A book about the history of the megadrive.With input from sega themselves. If you preorder early,(well back it before the timeline of 8 days from now) you have the glorious chance of your name been printed in as benefactor,From looks of it it is going well-

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/darrenwall/sega-mega-drive-genesis-collected-works

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,271 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Apologies if this has been posted.Just giving an heads up.Another kickstarter project is on the horizon.A book about the history of the megadrive.With input from sega themselves. If you preorder early,(well back it before the timeline of 8 days from now) you have the glorious chance of your name been printed in as benefactor,From looks of it it is going well-

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/darrenwall/sega-mega-drive-genesis-collected-works

It's shaping up to be a great book, I can't wait to have a look through it. Extra special that it's being backed by Sega.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,894 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I had a lot more fun making levels than playing them in little big planet. Physics based platform ears are just far too janky to be as fun as the likes of mario or sonic where you have more control since the rules the game operates under are easier to predict.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

awww hear ya go :L

AVGN at 1.59 ? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Steve X2

It's a sad state of affairs when an old modded original Xbox can playback more video formats and have a nicer interface than my new Xbox One and PS4.
    FFS like, sort it out Microsoft/Sony!!

Sony, ok, it's not pushing the PS4 as an all in one media box. But Microsoft wants the Xbox One to be the centre of all out entertainment hubs. Then maybe sort out a bit of proper MP3 streaming and don't even get me started on the video playback!! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Steve SI wrote: »
    ...my new Xbox One and PS4.

Wait, is this just a 'look at me, I have a PS4 & a Xbox One' post or anger over their lack of good media playback/interface? :)<-- smiley face makes that post OK right?

• Advertisement

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    Wait, is this just a 'look at me, I have a PS4 & a Xbox One' post or anger over their lack of good media playback/interface? :)<-- smiley face makes that post OK right?

It's a genuine anger post. I'd already said I was picking up both consoles.
    Most people know I always jump head first in on new gadgets and consoles :)

It's hardly worth any bragging rights to be fair. "Hey, I bought a new console". So did a million other people! It ain't a big deal.

Now, if i was to post some of my recent retro acquisitions that would be a "look at me post". ;)

I "acquired" the Jap "Famicom 20th Anniversary Game Music DVD" the other night and got around to have a look/listen last night. It's an interesting little curio and was wondering if people had come across any of these "Game Music DVD's" before?

I know Pyongtaku used to collect all sorts of game related VHS/DVD/LD stuff but I've only really started to have a look at this sort of thing proper and was wondering what peoples views are on it? Is it worth going looking and collecting the real deal(physical copies) or is it silly and digital versions (;)) are good enough?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Is it worth going looking and collecting the real deal(physical copies) or is it silly and digital versions (;)) are good enough?

Vinyl, with a tube pre-amp, a tube power-amp & a spine shatteringly expensive pair of hi-fi speakers is where its at

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Myrddin wrote: »
    Vinyl, with a tube pre-amp, a tube power-amp & a spine shatteringly expensive pair of hi-fi speakers is where its at

Too modern. You need a hand cranked gramophone to really get that retro sound.
    Obviously one should employ a cranker as one does not crank ones own gramophone.

The free earphones you get with the iPhone are probably good enough instead of those pricey speakers, yes? :D

The free earphones you get with the iPhone are probably good enough instead of those pricey speakers, yes? :D

Well that or the loudspeaker in a mobile phone :P

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Too modern. You need a hand cranked gramophone to really get that retro sound.
    Obviously one should employ a cranker as one does not crank ones own gramophone.

I remember buying one of those at launch, was nothing much to play on it for the first year and it wasn't backwards compatible with my wax cylinders, which was a disappointment.
    Launch titles on 78 were mostly available on cylinder anyway, little more crackly but some people preferred it!

Well that or the loudspeaker in a mobile phone :P

Best enjoyed while sitting upstairs at the back of a bus. Don't forget to crank it up full blast so you can share your wonderful music with all the new friends you'll make on the bus :)

Master of the Universe

I "acquired" the Jap "Famicom 20th Anniversary Game Music DVD" the other night and got around to have a look/listen last night. It's an interesting little curio and was wondering if people had come across any of these "Game Music DVD's" before?

I know Pyongtaku used to collect all sorts of game related VHS/DVD/LD stuff but I've only really started to have a look at this sort of thing proper and was wondering what peoples views are on it? Is it worth going looking and collecting the real deal(physical copies) or is it silly and digital versions (;)) are good enough?

Really depends on a few things.

Do you want to collect the physical items? They're cool things in themselves.

Do you have a high end hifi system? If not, then there's probably no point.

My recommendation? Build a vintage hifi with 70s separates and some big giant speakers. You can do it for cheap or go all out and spend a fortune. ( classic Marantz receivers with oscilloscopes are a sight to behold, you'll pay for them though!)

Then go nuts buying all manner of physical media :)

o1s1n wrote: »
    Really depends on a few things.

Do you want to collect the physical items? They're cool things in themselves.

Do you have a high end hifi system? If not, then there's probably no point.

My recommendation? Build a vintage hifi with 70s separates and some big giant speakers. You can do it for cheap or go all out and spend a fortune. ( classic Marantz receivers with oscilloscopes are a sight to behold, you'll pay for them though!)

Then go nuts buying all manner of physical media :)

Well, I'm a collector of many things. Perhaps I was hoping to be talked out of starting a new collection.
    Failed, already on eBay looking at Scitron listings and others :(

I'm happy, credit card wont be :)

Master of the Universe

Talked out of starting a collection? You're in the wrong place :pac:

• Advertisement

Talked out of starting a collection? You're in the wrong place :pac:

I know :o

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,894 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Seems another small company has closed down and nobody took any notice.

Japanese developer Neverland shut it's doors. They had recently bee responsible for the excellent Rune Factory series. However they made quite a few famous 16-bit and 32-bit games namely Energy Breaker and the Lufia series. A shame to see them go, they did some very interesting things with their games like Rune Factory which combined harvest moon with an action RPG, and Lufia 2 which told a story where the player already knew how it ended which ended up being interesting and a heart breaking experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,245 ✭✭✭MrVestek

One of my charity PS1 pickups over the weekend had a manual and inlay for Wild 9 on PS1.

Don't suppose anybody here needs or wants it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

In better news Sega just gave Atlus full access to their entire IP catalogue.

In better news Sega just gave Atlus full access to their entire IP catalogue.

Alex Kidd x shin megami tensei confirmed.

I really like slightlywrongquotes tshirts :)

tumblr_mx3nluNqby1t3pdk3o1_500.jpg
    tumblr_inline_mx1fxfU6Yl1ssx6k1.jpg
    tumblr_mwvc9bptxZ1t3pdk3o1_400.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Doge

Just found a video stream of it on some chinese site.

I honestly don't see the appeal of a dvd over an audio release.

I guess it would be good for use in presentations or something!

waveform wrote: »
    Just found a video stream of it on some chinese site.

I honestly don't see the appeal of a dvd over an audio release.

I guess would be good for use in presentations or something!

Pure curio really. Which in fairness is enough to interest someone like me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

I really like slightlywrongquotes tshirts :)

tumblr_inline_mx1fxfU6Yl1ssx6k1.jpg
    Still no love for Winston, I see.

Pure curio really. Which in fairness is enough to interest someone like me :)

So i guess you've downloaded it twice? ;)

• Advertisement

I've gone too far, it's a retro brothel :o
    uqjx.jpg

uqjx.jpg

How much to play with The Dreamcast for 20 minutes? :P

uqjx.jpg

How much to play with Retr0 for an hour ? ;)

NS02QHX.jpg

Christ, I'm going to regret posting that in the morning! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

tumblr_mwqjdf6oZf1t3pdk3o1_500.jpg

This and the ALAN in space noone can hear you in space please :D

I can envisage a scenario with hoards of neckbearded randomers coming up to you in the street trying to point out just how wrong your T-Shirt is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Those t shirt are amazing, have to get some

Master of the Universe

Just replaced my aging secondary monitor in work with a 19 inch 4:3 LCD. The vertical height on the thing is bloody colossal! :eek:

Saddens me that we never really got bigger 4:3 panels.

Just replaced my aging secondary monitor in work with a 19 inch 4:3 LCD. The vertical height on the thing is bloody colossal! :eek:

Saddens me that we never really got bigger 4:3 panels.

You can get bigger. But it's hard to find them new these days. Second hand you should get a Samsung 214T no problem(postage will get ya though).

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

You can get bigger. But it's hard to find them new these days. Second hand you should get a Samsung 214T no problem(postage will get ya though).

Yeah I was looking in to picking up a couple in the region of 25 inches a while ago - didn't realize the extent of their rarity. They just don't cut panels in 4:3 that size. And if they do, you'll pay an arm and a leg.

There are big 4:3 industry standard plasmas knocking about, but they cost a fortune :(

Yeah I was looking in to picking up a couple in the region of 25 inches a while ago - didn't realize the extent of their rarity. They just don't cut panels in 4:3 that size. And if they do, you'll pay an arm and a leg.

There are big 4:3 industry standard plasmas knocking about, but they cost a fortune :(

Yeah, i looked into it before as I was looking for a similar large 4:3 lcd for an arcade machine project. You are talking mega money for a large one. I know a few people who just went for a massive 16:9 LCD and covered the sides, but i just couldn't do that :)

Although I've also seen people who used a 16:9 lcd for their marquee with the bottom hidden and it looks pretty ok. I'd be ok with that maybe, but not the main screen.

Master of the Universe

I'd be fairly adamant when it comes to using a 4:3 for an arcade machine/gaming set. I know you can change the aspect ratio and all of a 16:9, but I really hate playing games like that. Even if it is partially covered up -I'd still know it's there! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

Hey, lads, I'm looking for a Megadrive to give away as a christmas present. Was just wondering what price range would be the norm at the moment. It doesn't have to be mint or boxed, just as long as it works and has all the cables then all is good. I've been mooching online and delivery seems to be the big set-back at the moment. Any ideas about where I could score a relitively cheap one?

deathrider wrote: »
    Hey, lads, I'm looking for a Megadrive to give away as a christmas present. Was just wondering what price range would be the norm at the moment. It doesn't have to be mint or boxed, just as long as it works and has all the cables then all is good. I've been mooching online and delivery seems to be the big set-back at the moment. Any ideas about where I could score a relitively cheap one?

Stick a wanted thread up in the markeplace subforum maybe? Unboxed you're looking around €30ish maybe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

Stick a wanted thread up in the markeplace subforum maybe? Unboxed you're looking around €30ish maybe?

30ish doesn't sound too bad. As I mentioned though, it's the delivery price that seems to be getting me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

i would love a megadrive again one day , my mother sold mine around the time the ps1 came out

all those games gone , still hurts :(

deathrider wrote: »
    30ish doesn't sound too bad. As I mentioned though, it's the delivery price that seems to be getting me.

You could always buy from the UK and parcel motel it to save on delivery.

89.95 in the Rage with 2 controllers and 40 euro worth of games, or so it says on facebook.

and 40 euro worth of games

Or in other words Mega Games 1 & 2 :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

Retro cartridge cleaning service, a first on Adverts.
    http://www.adverts.ie/arcade-retro/cartridge-cleaning/4363868

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement