Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arcade and Retro General Chat in Karkariko Village Tavern: Live Ocarina Music

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I have the tools and cleaning supplies to do this , without risking damage to your games.

So a box of qtips & a bottle of methylated spirits?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,894 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

He probably just blows on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

Steve SI wrote: »
    89.95 in the Rage with 2 controllers and 40 euro worth of games, or so it says on facebook.

Rage are not really known for they're prices though... Well, they are, just not in a good way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Myrddin wrote: »
    So a box of qtips & a bottle of methylated spirits?

And the finest erasers money can buy.

Lets send him in to The Rage. Their stock needs a clean big time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Looking for some advice

Have to help one of my friends girlfriends pick out his christmas present, I suggested a modded gameboy could be a cool present

Now I'm just wondering whats the best type to get, Just go for an original gameboy with a backlit screen and fresh paint job like this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181253493329?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Or try and get a modded GBA for a better selection of games

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

A career topped out with a performance as Luigi, poor b@stard

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

Looking for some advice

Have to help one of my friends girlfriends pick out his christmas present, I suggested a modded gameboy could be a cool present

Now I'm just wondering whats the best type to get, Just go for an original gameboy with a backlit screen and fresh paint job like this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181253493329?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Or try and get a modded GBA for a better selection of games

I've a few backlit Gameboys and GB Pockets and am in the market for a GBA with an ags-101 backlight (Have the SP but GBA has a better form-factor to me).

The GBA will be more useful, but I think the backlit gameboys are much more impressive looking and might make a better surprise present. Every time I go looking for a modded GBA on ebay I end up trawling through the backlit DMGs instead :o

My personal bias aside, if your friend would have any interest in chiptune music a pro-sound backlit DMG would be the way to go, but gaming wise the GBA is probably a better investment

Yeah thats the thing, I'd say the gaming is the only thing to be done on it....but not that much so I think I'll go for the gameboy with a backlit screen, just look way better for a present. Plus still a nice catalogue of games to choose from

I'll try and get some CIB games to go with it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

Look for a biverted one by the way - inverted displays (manually rotating the polariser) improve contrast but the 'negative' effect makes it almost unusable except for LSDJ. Biverted displays have a manual and digital inversion, so the display is the right way around and the improved contrast is very noticeable. Certain colours of backlight are better for gaming than others. Orange, green, yellow and white backlights are good, but blue and red aren't great. Out of those colours I have yellow and blue, and the difference is definitely noticeable.

• Advertisement

And now christopher evan welch who voiced acted for tails in the adventures of sonic tv show has passed away at the age of 48

Whos killing off beloved sidekicks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

And now christopher evan welch who voiced acted for tails in the adventures of sonic tv show has passed away at the age of 48

Whos killing off beloved sidekicks
    48? He was only like 11 when he first played Tails.

waveform wrote: »
    You could always buy from the UK and parcel motel it to save on delivery.

I've never used Parcel Motel. To be honest, I don't really buy in online at all. Is Parcel Motel good?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Parcel motel is great for reducing shipping when buying from the UK.

I bought all my xmas presents this year from amazon for the kids. I compared everything i bought with smyths and argos first. I save 150 euro by buying the same things online as opposed to in the shops here. free shipping straight to your door over 25£ . ill never go into shops at Christmas again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

What a horrible way for the Year of Luigi to come to an end.

keithgeo wrote: »
    Parcel motel is great for reducing shipping when buying from the UK.

I bought all my xmas presents this year from amazon for the kids. I compared everything i bought with smyths and argos first. I save 150 euro by buying the same things online as opposed to in the shops here. free shipping straight to your door over 25£ . ill never go into shops at Christmas again!

Excellent stuff. I'll have a look in to that then. Cheers, man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Doge

I have to admit, I don't think I've seen these before!

Are they legit?

vintage-ads-that-would-be-banned-today-25-2.jpg

vintage-ads-that-would-be-banned-today-25-1.jpg

Yep. They used to run in Viz Comics. Probably have plently of them at home somewhere.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

So I wasn't able to resist the Vita after all. Pretty decent value I thought; Vita + Tearaway + 16GB card + code for 10 games for 200. Signed up to PS+ too and nabbed some games.

Can anyone recommend a decent case for it though? Wondering is the one that comes with the official starter kit any good.

• Advertisement

Anyone else playing through 'A Link Between Worlds'?

I'm really enjoying it. Probably my favourite Zelda game since 'The Minish Cap'

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,894 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Andrew76 wrote: »
    So I wasn't able to resist the Vita after all. Pretty decent value I thought; Vita + Tearaway + 16GB card + code for 10 games for 200. Signed up to PS+ too and nabbed some games.

Can anyone recommend a decent case for it though? Wondering is the one that comes with the official starter kit any good.

The official case is really nice. I got mine from playasia and they threw in a free playasia case for free which I use for my 3DS now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

1452455_10152397911323294_1843154060_n.jpg

Just came across the weirdest proprietary video cable.

A neighbour couldnt reconnect their old upc box - scart and RF ouput only to their Samsung Smart TV which has no Composite or Scart input sockets.

Turns out they lost this cable:

AVS-1016.jpg

A proprietary Samsung connector to Female scart.

Even maplin don't stock them!

Tried tuning it in using an RF cable but it seems it doesnt output the display through RF,
    it only forwards the free analog channels.

I'd say the only reason it has this proprietary connector is to save space.

Getting back to Retro, this popped up on my ebay homepage.

Had it as a kid, oh how much I ****ing hated it! :mad: Especially the Mogul stage!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,245 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Just came across the weirdest proprietary video cable.

A neighbour couldnt reconnect their old upc box - scart and RF ouput only to their Samsung Smart TV which has no Composite or Scart input sockets.

Turns out they lost this cable:

AVS-1016.jpg

A proprietary Samsung connector to Female scart.

Even maplin don't stock them!

Tried tuning it in using an RF cable but it seems it doesnt output the display through RF,
    it only forwards the free analog channels.

I'd say the only reason it has this proprietary connector is to save space.

Huh... Sony are usually the ones that are terrible for that propriatory nonsense.

Anyway you can pick them up cheap enough here:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-UE40B8000XW-Socket-Adapter-connection/dp/B0058P69IY

They might also be able to get on to UPC and get a box that outputs in HDMI without having to pay for it. As far as I understand it they're replacing alot of the older NTL (usually scart only) boxes with at least a box that can do On Demand and has HDMI.

• Advertisement

I think Sonic 06 is underrated , sure it suffers from alot of glitches, bugs and load problems but I found it fun to play , way better than what sonic adventure 2 was.

Also I prefer 06 and even sonic heroes than that boring mario 3d land and nsmb series

I think Sonic 06 is underrated , sure it suffers from alot of glitches, bugs and load problems but I found it fun to play , way better than what sonic adventure 2 was.

Also I prefer 06 and even sonic heroes than that boring mario 3d land and nsmb series
    eqTy0.gif

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

You are one sick sad individual.
    Odd thing is I'm the one who gets tarred with having the worst taste in games.... It's just not fair.
    Oh, and you're wrong, wrong, wrongity wrong.

underrated was the wrong word to use , i dont think its as bad as people say , its at least a playthrough

i stand by what i said bout sonic heroes though , i really enjoyed that game

underrated was the wrong word to use , i dont think its as bad as people say , its at least a playthrough

i stand by what i said bout sonic heroes though , i really enjoyed that game
    Well, let's just see how this goes with the others.

iCuUswFfgJm27.gif

• Advertisement

Well, let's just see how this goes with the others.

iCuUswFfgJm27.gif

Sir,

please STEP AWAY from the Funny GIFS thread!

celebrity-gifs-what-is-this-i-dont-even.gif

5e815de973ec4e042233452d9c3861767f156f0.gif

That was a funny gif?
    ok, sure....

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    That was a funny gif?
    ok, sure....
    I mean, look at that face. The eyes, the fact that his cowl somehow is an eyebrow. The way he emotes. How can you not find this funny?

Then again, Richy's taste in games is probably even more hilarious by comparison.

nothing wrong with my taste in games, I just like sonic more than mario

But with those games...yeah. Right.

sure we all love games that we cant understand why we enjoy them but we do.

suda 51 games are a prime example of that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

I love Sonic but 06 and Heroes are muck
    ITS NO USE!

Sonic adventure 2 is the worst out of the whole lot

only thing that was good bout the game was shadow and the sonic levels

I love how people on here forget about the subjectivity of entertainment and media from time to time! :D

• Advertisement

Every time you mention Sonic 06 and Sonic Adventures you say the same thing, how you feel they are amazeballs and superior to Mario games, and you're entitled to your opinion, naturally.
    But everytime you do the above you get the same reaction from everyone here, and this isn't the first time.
    It's like me telling it like it is about Streaks of Sh1te and Golden @rse, I know people are going to react as only the ignorant can, but I can rise above the abuse as I know I am righteous and have glob on my side.
    You too need to rise above it, though you know you're right and everyone else, inexplicably, thinks your taste in games can only be located by a proctologist with a map and a flashlight.

sure we all love games that we cant understand why we enjoy them but we do.

suda 51 games are a prime example of that

Suda 51's games are the work of an auteur and are interesting pieces of work. They migth be clunky but they make up for it in writing and the ideas they represent.

3D Sonic games on the other hand are the work of a big corporation out to take your money. They are soulless and even worse, plain crap.

I love how people on here forget about the subjectivity of entertainment and media from time to time! :D

If eurothrash thought me anything it's that there really are some people out there that get their kicks from covering themselves in another persons faeces. That seems like a good analogy (snigger) for a modern Sonic fan.

I will play anything and try to get a much enjoyment as i possibly can

i said more i prefer the 2d games more than sonic in 3d and i would be leading a army of sonic fans for sonic team to make more 2d games. till then I play sonic knowing its flaws , im passionate not delusional :pac:

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    If eurothrash thought me anything it's that there really are some people out there that get their kicks from covering themselves in another persons faeces. That seems like a good analogy (snigger) for a modern Sonic fan.

Shhhhhhh!

What happened in Steve SI's brothel, stays in Steve's brothel!

Way to tell everyone man! :pac:

I thought that was the time you dress as Peach and he as Mushroom and you both made the plane fare home?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,245 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Yeah ok no I'm a huge Sonic the Hedgehog fan and I still haven't completed Sonic '06 BECAUSE I FECKING CAN'T!

That game is so broken it'd be funny if it wasn't so tragic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

still can't be as bad as Bomberman Act Zero

Just browsing a few Christmas gifts on Ebay, not secret santa....I have something special planned for YOU!!!!

But getting a friend of mine a few game boy games.....Some really good games are cheap. Like I found a lot of really good games CIB and a lot of them under a tener and carts are one a few pounds each...I must build up my collection after Christmas!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Sonic adventure 2 is the worst out of the whole lot

only thing that was good bout the game was shadow and the sonic levels
    I really enjoyed SA2 , not the best game ever but got a lot of play out of it especially with Chao World.
    City Escape is one of my favourite video game songs.
    S3&K is my favourite, always will be

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement