Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arcade and Retro General Chat in Karkariko Village Tavern: Live Ocarina Music

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

still can't be as bad as Bomberman Act Zero

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MWEHwvcnyM

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,756 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Suda 51's games are the work of an auteur and are interesting pieces of work. They migth be clunky but they make up for it in writing and the ideas they represent.

You know, I think Suda 51 one really needs to get his act together and make something really special soon. Most of his recent games feel rushed, or just amplify all his worst qualities (especially the sleazy exploitation, which is less and less forgivable). Just couldn't be bothered with Killer is Dead.

It would be great if he just took a few years to make a totally new, creative game - preferably with polished mechanics for a change. I know Grasshopper probably need to churn out games regularly to keep afloat, but Suda just feels like an auteur that's barely trying anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

seen killer is dead on sale in gamestop today actually. Was tempted.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,894 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

You know, I think Suda 51 one really needs to get his act together and make something really special soon. Most of his recent games feel rushed, or just amplify all his worst qualities (especially the sleazy exploitation, which is less and less forgivable). Just couldn't be bothered with Killer is Dead.

It would be great if he just took a few years to make a totally new, creative game - preferably with polished mechanics for a change. I know Grasshopper probably need to churn out games regularly to keep afloat, but Suda just feels like an auteur that's barely trying anymore.

He needs to make another fire pro wrestling game.

I heard a very good argument that killer is dead's writing is excellent just reviewers didn't get it or why it was exploitative, supposedly a swipe at aaa games or something but without playing it I can't say it holds up.

I did love the hell out of lollipop chainsaw, it really wasn't as lazy as reviewers said it was unlike the hit or miss shadows of the damned in terms of writing. Suda just needs someone to do the gameplay a lot better than he can because he has shown that his writing can be exceptional with no more hero sand killer7. Even lazy suda is more interesting than lazy space opera 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Steve X2

phpe8sb2k.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,756 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I heard a very good argument that killer is dead's writing is excellent just reviewers didn't get it or why it was exploitative, supposedly a swipe at aaa games or something but without playing it I can't say it holds up.

I think this is my problem with his games: he identifies problems without meaningfully addressing them. It's kinda like "hey, ain't games so sexist?!" or "Aren't they so full of mindless grinding and busy work?". Sure, I agree, and it's fun to point that out: for a game or two. But like Bioshock made all these really interesting points about player agency before reverting to a standard corridor shooter, Suda needs to stop just playfully referencing these things and actually confront them straight on. The risk is his games actually become the very things they're satirising. Surely there are more subtle ways to articulate criticisms of gender portrayals in gaming than having the player repeatedly engage in a pervving mini-game? The man undoubtedly has a singular vision and intelligence, but he veers perilously close to self-parody at times.

I did enjoy Liberation Maiden, though, good fun and well presented.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

Looks like we secured a Megadrive for about 25 quid. No wires, but that shouldn't be too much hassle to acquire.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,894 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I think this is my problem with his games: he identifies problems without meaningfully addressing them. It's kinda like "hey, ain't games so sexist?!" or "Aren't they so full of mindless grinding and busy work?". Sure, I agree, and it's fun to point that out: for a game or two. But like Bioshock made all these really interesting points about player agency before reverting to a standard corridor shooter, Suda needs to stop just playfully referencing these things and actually confront them straight on. The risk is his games actually become the very things they're satirising. Surely there are more subtle ways to articulate criticisms of gender portrayals in gaming than having the player repeatedly engage in a pervving mini-game? The man undoubtedly has a singular vision and intelligence, but he veers perilously close to self-parody at times.

I did enjoy Liberation Maiden, though, good fun and well presented.

Killer is Dead might just be a misstep for him. No More Heroes I thought was superb and he did manage to address the main points he was making. I guess sometimes he can just be a bit lazy and churn games out. Maybe grasshopper could find more success with indie titles like Liberation Maiden.

On the train at the moment coming up to Dublin from home. There is a young girl, maybe 8 or 9 playing Tetris on the original Game Boy.
    There is hope for the younger generation after all :)

Edit:
    I'd take a pic, but a 34 year old man taking pictures of an 8 year old girl he doesn't know might be a bit awkward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

Steve SI wrote: »
    On the train at the moment coming up to Dublin from home. There is a young girl, maybe 8 or 9 playing Tetris on the original Game Boy.

Edit:
    I'd take a pic, but a 34 year old man taking pictures of an 8 year old girl he doesn't know might be a bit awkward.

It's fine, just loudly assure everyone on the train that the photos are merely for the internet.

• Advertisement

Sorry to burst your bubble but that's just me in my Thursday outfit.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Retr0, once again surprising no one ever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Currently playing through Dust an Elysian Tail and I absolutely adoring it so far. I cannot believe it was made by just one guy

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Be glad it's not Naked Friday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,271 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

CiDeRmAn wrote: »

Naked Saturday is still on though, right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Where is this...naked Friday?

I'm asking for a friend :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

Yeah...3 villains (IN THE SECOND MOVIE OF ALL THINGS), the continuation of that stupid mystery of the parents, and Parker already established as a douche for
    not fulfilling Captain Stacy's dying promise
    . Cannot wait to hate watch the hell out of this movie.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Check out 1:12 -1:14 in the trailer.. in the background, could be spoilery, if you consider stuff in a trailer spoilers.... :pac:

been meaning to see the first film , have not gotten around to it yet but I will i am loving that spidey outfit

keithgeo wrote: »
    Check out 1:12 -1:14 in the trailer.. the background... :pac:
    Yay, the Sinister Six, because for some reason, that alone will make the threequel a good movie! *grumbles in frustration*

But at least it's being shot on film. Even if it is at the expense of native 3D (not that Johnny will mind).
    been meaning to see the first film , have not gotten around to it yet but I will i am loving that spidey outfit
    Sonic '06 > ASM.

At least I can laugh at Sonic '06.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

The effects at the end are very fake looking, like a game cutscene. but i enjoyed the first one. better than toby mcguire anyways.

Sonic '06 > ASM.

At least I can laugh at Sonic '06.

why its fun to play sonic 06 , its so bad its funny :L

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Check out 1:12 -1:14 in the trailer.. in the background, could be spoilery, if you consider stuff in a trailer spoilers.... :pac:

I was just about to post that

But mechanical Rhino, electric blue Electro and what I can only assume will be a generic Goblin 2 this does looks really like a pile of sh1te

Although the spiderman costume has improved quite a bit

I really enjoyed the first Amazing Spider-Man, so looking forward to it.

It was a lot closer to comics I grew up reading than the Rami stuff. And I respect any super hero film where the actor is put in a suit he can actually move about it, that just annoys the hell out of me in so many films.

Dane DeHaan is some great casting as Harry too.

The effects at the end are very fake looking, like a game cutscene. but i enjoyed the first one. better than toby mcguire anyways.

Let's see...

*SPOILER SOILER*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXji5gDRR74

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOfy7DLxx1c

I'm sorry, but Garfield's Parker was just unlikable. Made all the worse when we see that he's still with Gwen.
    why its fun to play sonic 06 , its so bad its funny :L
    HA! YOU ADMIT IT'S BAD! Finally, Richy has seen the light!
    I was just about to post that

But mechanical Rhino, electric blue Electro and what I can only assume will be a generic Goblin 2 this does looks really like a pile of sh1te

Although the spiderman costume has improved quite a bit

Indeed you're right.

bagjyeicaaa_akjw2se5.jpg

As for the costume...naaa, I still like the Raimi costume the best. But it still beats the hell out of the last one.

Master of the Universe

I have nothing to add other than the fact that I hate superheroes and it really irks me how popular they are.

Who needs more bloody Spiderman films when things like Rogue Trooper, ABC Warriors, Nemesis, Strontium Dog, Halo Jones, Zenith and Slaine have zero film or even TV adaptations? Jeez, I could go on and on. 2000AD is a powerhouse of possible amazing films. Boggles my mind how untapped it is.

FFS we couldn't even get a Dredd sequel.

Yet Americans will continue to create films touting all their spandex magically invincible silliness.

I need, NEED, an ABC Warriors and Nemesis movies, with the Nemesis book 3 as a cross over.
    If I win the Euromillions, tough to do as I don't play, and I win 150 million, I'll bankroll them to the eternal gratitude of 2000ad fans everywhere!
    Rogue would be an easy fit to the big screen too, as would Strontinum Dog.
    Halo Jones would be amazing but I'd love to see Ace Trucking or Robohunter as a tv series.

o1s1n wrote: »
    I have nothing to add other than the fact that I hate superheroes and it really irks me how popular they are.

Who needs more bloody Spiderman films when things like Rogue Trooper, ABC Warriors, Nemesis, Strontium Dog, Halo Jones, Zenith and Slaine have zero film or even TV adaptations? Jeez, I could go on and on. 2000AD is a powerhouse of possible amazing films. Boggles my mind how untapped it is.

Yet Americans will continue to create films touting all their spandex magically invincible silliness.

I'd love to see a Rogue Trooper movie, if it was done right of course.

o1s1n wrote: »

Only Sony would.

And regarding Marvel, I'm already getting tired of their formula. I mean, I found Avengers to be a "meh" movie. And while I found Iron Man 3 entertaining, it was riddled with problems. Like how Stark could simply save the world while sitting on it's couch, now that remotely controlling the suit has now been established. Meanwhile, we've seen Warner go in the opposite direction for their movies. The already tired, faux-gritty appearance of Nolan's Batman movies (seriously, TDK was about as flashy and as Hollywood as you can get) is only further compounded when we saw Man of Steel. Somehow, they made a Superman movie depressing to watch. And while I admit that there were some good scenes in that one, like young Clark's scenes, There was plenty of stupid stuff, like
    that tornado scene. The whole thing
    ! And the destruction of Metropolis. As well as the ending fight with Zod. And with the way the upcoming sequel is going...

And yeah, whoever advertised Dredd only has themselves to blame.

• Advertisement

HA! YOU ADMIT IT'S BAD! Finally, Richy has seen the light!

Of course its bad , i was just trolling yesterday :L

when elise is in love with a hedgehog you know ****ed up :pac:

The Norts are just a tad racist though, all russian and german accents, with the heroic southers assumed american.
    Theres a background to the Nu-Earth colony founders I think, that explains the nationality split, and then theres the whole thing that one side is as bad as the other in the end.
    Still, love to hear Gunnar shout "Naughty Norty!"

Master of the Universe

I need, NEED, an ABC Warriors and Nemesis movies, with the Nemesis book 3 as a cross over.
    If I win the Euromillions, tough to do as I don't play, and I win 150 million, I'll bankroll them to the eternal gratitude of 2000ad fans everywhere!
    Rogue would be an easy fit to the big screen too, as would Strontinum Dog.
    Halo Jones would be amazing but I'd love to see Ace Trucking or Robohunter as a tv series.

ABC Warriors/Nemesis would make an absolutely incredible animated film if it was done right.

I really don't know why Halo Jones hasn't been lauded more. Especially as Alan Moore is such a household name these days.

Did you know there was almost a Strontium Dog TV series in 1999 but it was canned?

Ace Trucking, now there's something I haven't read in many many years. Absolutely hilarious stuff.
    I'd love to see a Rogue Trooper movie, if it was done right of course.

See this is the thing, there's a real danger when trying to transfer things over from comics like this which are so heavily sci fi based. When you think about it, a film based on someone who looks like something from the blue man group might actually be a trainwreak - I'd love to see it given a go though :)

Did you ever play the PS2 game? It's actually not bad.

Have you guys seen Hardware? It's based on one of Tharg's Future Shocks:

hardware4.jpg

I thought it worked pretty well.

Only Sony would.

And regarding Marvel, I'm already getting tired of their formula. I mean, I found Avengers to be a "meh" movie. And while I found Iron Man 3 entertaining, it was riddled with problems. Like how Stark could simply save the world while sitting on it's couch, now that remotely controlling the suit has now been established. Meanwhile, we've seen Warner go in the opposite direction for their movies. The already tired, faux-gritty appearance of Nolan's Batman movies (seriously, TDK was about as flashy and as Hollywood as you can get) is only further compounded when we saw Man of Steel. Somehow, they made a Superman movie depressing to watch. And while I admit that there were some good scenes in that one, like young Clark's scenes, There was plenty of stupid stuff, like
    that tornado scene. The whole thing
    ! And the destruction of Metropolis. As well as the ending fight with Zod. And with the way the upcoming sequel is going...

And yeah, whoever advertised Dredd only has themselves to blame.

You know Nerdkiller, you spend an awful lot of time giving out about ****ty blockbuster superhero films, but I never hear you say anything nice about the countless films that aren't ****ty blockbuster superhero films :pac:

You know Nerdkiller, you spend an awful lot of time giving out about ****ty blockbuster superhero films, but I never hear you say anything nice about the countless films that aren't ****ty blockbuster superhero films :pac:
    It's more fun to complain, my friend.

Spiderman 2 is top of its class.
    As is The Incredibles.
    Didn't care for the first 2 X-Men movies. Only one I liked was First Class.
    Superman Returns is arguably the best of the Donnerverse movies (except Bosworth as Lois, obviously. Just too damn young).
    Avengers was average at best.
    I liked Iron Man 2 almost as much as the first one (which is still the best of the SHIELD Marvel movies).
    Demolition Man, I think is one of Stallone's best movies (seriously, when you think about it, it is pretty much a superhero movie. Who else has seamstress powers?).
    Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy is flawed but good.
    As was Tim Burton's Batman movies.
    Hellboy II was a good romp (I really should watch the first again).
    I feel some people are too harsh on Captain America.
    Unbreakable makes me wish that M. Night still could make movies this good.
    Thor was a Bhor.
    I've forgotten everything about that Fantastic 4 movie and I don't think I want to remember it.

Happy now?

• Advertisement

I watched Computer Chess last night. Now that was an experience.

It's sort of like Best in Show but with computer software instead of dogs and also it's a bit nuts.

Love Best In Show, prefer A Wind Blows Through It though.
    Spinal Tap.... 11, all the way.

Iron Man 3
    sh1t sandwich

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Yorda, get your scrawny ass over here !
    Don't make me come over there,
    That's it, give me your hand,
    You are coming with me !

x2afDOm.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Doge

Does anyone know of a good app for Video Game Manuals, Snes / Megadrive era?

Any ever use "Manual Leecher" on google play?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.wManualLeecher

Something like this would be handy for me, as I don't actually collect games and so I don't have the original manuals.

• Advertisement

waveform wrote: »
    Does anyone know of a good app for Video Game Manuals, Snes / Megadrive era?

Any ever use "Manual Leecher" on google play?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.wManualLeecher

Something like this would be handy for me, as I don't actually collect games and so I don't have the original manuals.

Say Whaaaaaa!!!

So, I'm down in the mothers place this weekend and away from most of my "toys".
    Got a bit bored earlier and decided to do a bit of graphics work on the laptop.

As I got that Secret of Mana poster I posted about on the other thread I was thinking it might be nice to get or make an ultra resolution version of it for printing at a later stage(you can see they didn't have a fantastic source on the poster I got when viewed up close, it's good, not fantastic)
    The only versions I could find online were not very high resolution (the biggest was about 1400x2000).

Anyway, long boring story short I messed around with what I could find and vectorised it and converted back to a raster and added a bit of texture to lessen the sharpness of the vectors.
    It's not perfect and the characters need a bit of fine tuning in Adobe Illustrator but its ok for now and looks very clear as a screen backdrop.

You can see what I'm working on here(processed version on the left and original on the right):
    sample123low.jpg

If anyone wants to grab it the links are below.

Preview:
    Secret_of_Mana_Poster_Vector2Raster_lowlow.jpg

Large Preview:
    http://retrovia.ie/dls/pics/secretmana/Secret_of_Mana_Poster_Vector2Raster_Low.jpg

Full Size(65MB PNG file) (Best to "Save As").
    http://retrovia.ie/dls/pics/secretmana/Secret_of_Mana_Poster_Vector2Raster_5800x8233.png

I've got a much larger 11600x16467 resolution version but I don't think anyone wants that.
    Hopefully I'll get around to perfecting it soon so it can be professionally printed at a massive size and still look clean and sharp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

That looks real nice Steve, do you think you might get the final version printed out at some stage?

Say Whaaaaaa!!!

I iz a flash cart whore!

Monkeykube wrote: »
    That looks real nice Steve, do you think you might get the final version printed out at some stage?

I've always like this image so I'd definetly get it professionally printed at a very large (maybe 7 foot tall) size if the image was good enough. And with a vector the resolution isn't a problem.
    I iz a flash cart whore!

Say it ain't so bro :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

What the going rate for a Gamecube Viper case these days ?

I've always like this image so I'd definetly get it professionally printed at a very large (maybe 7 foot tall) size if the image was good enough. And with a vector the resolution isn't a problem.

Say it ain't so bro :(

It gets worse.....

I consider myself a casual gamer also!

What the going rate for a Gamecube Viper case these days ?

I think Kerbdog has a spare one, pm him

It gets worse.....

I think you're in the wrong forum, the Playstation forum isn't far... take care now! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,245 ✭✭✭MrVestek

It gets worse.....

BANNED

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement